Superhero

Running thread of the disaster that is the new school year

It’s really great things are working so far. I’d love to be “wrong” in our decision to homeschool. I really would. Our kids are taking interesting classes so there’s that, but more importantly it means their friends are safe and we can consider going back in January. We will still enjoy the most of the fall as we can. I’m still a little concerned about high school as I’ve known some high schoolers to get it and it wasn’t fun for them either. But to prove out some of the hopes (and expectations) that kids don’t really get it or spread it is fantastic.

Covid Testing results for Oregon have been on a trajectory that so far leads towards hybrid for K-3 in early October, for the rest of the grades in late October.  I'm leaning towards letting them go when its announced, and taking our chances like I suppose everyone else is.  A month or two ago I would have said "no way."  

Has any school that has been open in-person for over a month had an outbreak? I haven't kept up with the news nationwide.

13 minutes ago, jkates said:

Has any school that has been open in-person for over a month had an outbreak? I haven't kept up with the news nationwide.

Define outbreak.

Have there been clusters of cases at isolated schools?  Yes.

Has there been a single hospitalization of any K-12 student or college student?  Maybe there has been, but I’m not aware of any out of the tens of thousands of “positives” since the school year began and college kids came back on campus.

Been saying this for weeks, but we need to open the schools to 100% of students, in person, nationwide.

Queen City ISD closed down all three campuses for three days due to an outbreak. They have also canceled all after school activities for the week.

Linden has canceled the next two football games due to two high school students testing positive. Apparently they’ve quarantined the entire football team. From the looks of their first three games, they should keep them quarantined.

Been saying this for weeks, but we need to open the schools to 100% of students, in person, nationwide.

Easy to say if you don’t have kids or have a kid that’s high risk for having pneumonia.

13 minutes ago, EE2B said:

Easy to say if you don’t have kids or have a kid that’s high risk for having pneumonia.

I do have kids and put my “money” where my mouth is.

The school gave us the option of virtual or in person and we opted for in person as soon as possible.  So my 1st and 4th graders have been attending school, in person, wearing masks, daily since Sept 8.

Edited by Message Board User

I do have kids and put my “money” where my mouth is.
The school gave us the option of virtual or in person and we opted for in person as soon as possible.  So my 1st and 4th graders have been attending school, in person, wearing masks, daily since Sept 8.

I have a second grader and a four year old. The head of pulmonology at Children’s Hospital told us not to send our kids back due to the risk potential for our four year old if she caught it. Due to that, we are doing home school.

If you were in my position, would you still have sent both of yours back?

Just now, EE2B said:

I have a second grader and a four year old. The head of pulmonology at Children’s Hospital told us not to send our kids back due to the risk potential for our four year old if she caught it. Due to that, we are doing home school.

Whereas I know a physician, and she is connected with a large number of pediatricians in the St. Louis area, who have advocated for a return to in-person schooling.  I think we've got enough schools around the country going in-person that we can monitor them, and see if 1) there's any real harm to the kids themselves, and 2) whether those kids are functioning as vectors of infecting and harming vulnerable populations.

Our school just announced we aren't back full on Monday as planned.  Hybrid through the first quarter (Oct 23).  Sigh.  We haven't had a case in 2 weeks and right now I am not sure we even have anyone home in quarantine.  Yet, let's be sure to play all our fall sports in full, especially football which exponentially increases the number of people those boys have second-hand contact with.

Almost done with week 4 in person here. We get almost daily emails of people on campus being sent home with “symptoms of Covid”, but to me it seems the list of Covid symptoms is overly inclusive, like Nausea or a headache. I get it. They’re being cautious. 

So far between my kids’ elementary and middle schools there’s been 2 positives. They don’t mention if it’s students or staff. For the school district of 25,000 students and I’m not sure how many faculty, we have 24 positives.  Again, they aren’t delineated between students or staff   

It’s been safe and well run. It can be done. The kids are so glad to be back. Kids that are still remote are being unnecessarily harmed imo. Teachers that are bitching or protesting going back are derelict in their duties honestly. Outside of the rare teacher with real dangerous co-morbidities. 

15 minutes ago, EE2B said:

I don’t know if your 4 year old has an underlying condition that would make her especially vulnerable to COVID-19.  So impossible for me to say.

But Covid isn’t going away completely even with a vaccine.  Just as kids get sick and die from the flu every year even with a vaccine, there will be some risk moving forward no matter what (even if the risk is small).  So while I would normally say heed your doctors advice, I’d also ask the doctor when will it be “safe” enough for her to return to school?

If your child doesn’t have an underlying condition, then absolutely I would suggest she return to school even if it’s against the doctors advice (it should be noted the American Academy of Pediatrics has endorsed return to in person schooling).

The wife's coworker texted her last night that her kid has had a 102 fever since Monday.  Her school hasn't let her come to school but her mom went to work like everything was fine.  Last night at 9 was the first time she even mentioned it. She's been at work for the last 3 days.  Oblivious or inconsiderate I can't decide.  I'm royally pissed.  

She's either an idiot or an asshole or both. 

Oh yeah, my wife and this woman also work at a school.

Edited by Post Oak

1 hour ago, EE2B said:

The head of pulmonology at Children’s Hospital told us not to send our kids back due to the risk potential for our four year old if she caught it. Due to that, we are doing home school.

Unless a child has significant underlying medical condition, I would ask the doctor for the specific reasons and data behind their opinion. Doctors are human and I’ve seen non evidenced based medical opinions all over the place and often not based on deductive reasoning either. That’s how we got essential oils and chelation therapy.

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Unless a child has significant underlying medical condition, I would ask the doctor for the specific reasons and data behind their opinion. Doctors are human and I’ve seen non evidenced based medical opinions all over the place and often not based on deductive reasoning either. That’s how we got essential oils and chelation therapy.

You can have my essential oils when you pry them from my warm, moist fingers!