Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

On 7/5/2023 at 10:15 AM, shadow_operative said:

it's not going to get better with time. seasons two and three are hardly even the same show. after season one they just stopped trying to write interesting or even logical season long storylines and instead just said, "alright then, everyone is friends, everyone is kind, we'll address a bunch of current social issues, and the plot...doesn't matter. just as long as everyone is kind, and goodness and virtue always win." it's so heavy handed and illogical that it breaks all suspension of disbelief. season one was dope though. 

On 7/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, shadow_operative said:

this argument gets made every single time this topic comes up, as if the premise of the show being unrealistic means that fans of the show have to just accept and love every ridiculous thing the show does. like if ted turned into a bird person and roy turned out to be a serial child rapist we should all just be fine with that, because ted lasso being hired to coach a premier league team isn't realistic. 

the scene where isaac led the entire dressing room in deleting all of their ex's photos and having some passionate, impromptu group speech about valuing women (with the blatant subtext that men are trash, in the very same episode where jack, a female, ogles some famous dude's leaked private dick pics no less) was the worst thing i've seen on tv since the final season of game of thrones. which actually is a great season to reference- why should anyone have had a problem with season 8 of GoT when it was a fantasy show to begin with, right? yeah, i don't think so. 

On 7/5/2023 at 10:30 AM, shadow_operative said:

the ubiquitous and continual hypersensitive replies whenever anyone says something critical in a tv show thread never ceases to amaze me. the very same people who look at me and my behavior and are just bewildered by it, continuously react like small children who didn't get the toy they wanted every time someone says something critical of their tv show. it's like an entire thread of derkas that i get to observe and just shake my head and laugh at in total bewilderment. how so many grown ass men can react like such whiny ass babies and fail to see it is straight up hilarious and definitely sad. keep it coming guys! 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this thread is essentially a carbon copy of every thread in the subreddits for TL, rick and morty, always sunny, etc, etc. every one post that's made that criticizes the show is just immediately bludgeoned to death by five other posters who love the show and who feel personally attacked by all criticisms of the show. before long you see threads/posts popping up with titles/comments like, "Why Can't People Just Enjoy The Show???", and, "Are There Seriously People Who Don't Love This Season?", and ", "I guess some people just love to be miserable, i don't think this show has fallen off it all." replete with a thousand upvotes in agreement.

here's a thought: why can't y'all grown ass men allow someone else to post his own opinion with a gang of you virtually SWATTING him? 100% serious here, i guarantee you that within a few years there will be a scientific term for this phenomenon where grown men absolutely cannot handle any criticism of their favorite tv show, taking said criticism as a personal attack. it is so strange, yet so pervasive, they're definitely going to come up with a name for it. 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_6232.thumb.jpeg.721bd38995ad42fcf76256d762cbeaed.jpeg

you guys ran @Dbeasy out of this thread in a matter of hours. not me, not rocko, not grendel (rip)- you ran dbeasy out of this thread and then you all celebrated it together. mission accomplished! safe space activated! NO NEGATIVITY AT ALL!!!*

*except for the part where the majority of the thread gangs up on anyone they don't agree with and harasses them until they give up and leave. that part is pretty negative. 

y'all will never see or accept this be wise you all are the majority, but you guys fucking suck, and you've ruined half the threads on this board with this exact type behavior, over and over and over and over. it's pathetic man. it really is. but uh, have fun in your safe space echo chamber. should make some riveting discussion. 

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this is the lie y'all keep telling yourselves. every accusation is a confession. everyone who says critical about the show  is "miserable" according to y'all. based on what? saying "the show wasn't as good in seasons 2 and 3", "of that episode wasn't very good" means the poster is miserable? how?

it's you guys. you guys become miserable at the very sight of criticism, so you basically bully the people who don't share your view into being so miserable that they say, "fine, i get it, no criticism allowed, i'll leave and not come back." 

1)y'all literally tell everyone who criticizes the show in any way to stop watching and to leave the thread and never come back.

2)when they acquiesce and leave the thread you guys publicly celebrate your big victory with kookie gifs and pos rep circle jerks. 

the only people in this thread/every tv show thread whose feelings are way, way too strong snd unhealthy are you and your ilk: the adult men (and every now and then a woman) who are so triggered and upset by any and all criticisms of your show that you openly and proudly run off everyone who doesn't agree with you. 

1)it's pathetic 

2)it's worse than "derka'ing" a thread

3)it's antithetical to the very foundations of shaggy/surly

congrats dipshits. you've taken something awesome and completely ruined it. you've turned it back into the very thing it was built to get away from. big round of applause for all of you.

IMG_0180.gif

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2023 at 9:59 AM, C-Man said:

Ha, I said the exact same thing to my wife last night as we watched the latest episode. I said he looked like Jordan Rodgers with a huge nose. My wife said she thought he looked more like Aaron.

Zlatan is perhaps my favorite footballer ever. Normally, I'd abhor an athlete who was this way but he's so absurd that it's hilarious. And the motherfucker almost always backs it up. 

Yep.  If you want to look up to someone that's an athlete as a role model, there are quite a few that fit the bill.

If you want to watch someone for the photovoltaic personality, the absolute mastery of skill, and the absolute absurdity of how it all blends together....Zlatan is damn near the top of that list of any/all athletes.   

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, shadow_operative said:

the nate/hostess story line is by the far the most bizarre and least believable storyline of this season. not only is it a played out trope that's been done a million times, but this iteration of it is just incompetently lazy writing. nate is a small, insecure, unattractive man who looks twice his actual age, and who has less than zero confidence, much less game. the hostess naturally sees him as a joke and is completely uninterested in him, until one day she sees him have a bad date, and the next day she's waking up in bed with him, just completely smitten by him, with zero reason given for this change whatsoever. it's impossible to believe in or care about.

speaking of change, S1 of this show is the most universally well received and beloved season of TV that i've ever witnessed. in that light, the show's decision to change so many of its main characters is just baffling.

•Nate has gone from lovable upstart to unfounded heel turn right back to being someone who is supposed to be a sympathetic character, because reasons 

•Jamie has gone from your typical self absorbed, superstar soccer player who only cares about himself to some sort of self aware, thoughtful, essentially perfect person

•Roy has seen his lines go way down despite the episodes doubling in length, and he too has gone from this finished product of a man to this wonderful, thoughtful, more caring/positive person, because reasons 

•Rupert has gone from the main antagonist (aside from rebecca, who is now also bff's with everyone and super happy and supportive and different from he S1 chatacter) to someone who essentially isn't even on the show anymore

•hell, even the three perpetually angry soccer hooligan dudes from the bar are now just full of positivity and belief

never seen a show be so overwhelmingly popular only to fundamentally change most of its main characters, sometimes multiple times. and the only reason for this constant change seems to be "our characters all need to be great, warm, loving people." super disappointing after the magic of season one. 

So the show's decision to describe the human condition, how people grow and change over the course of their lives, is baffling to you?  

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you went and found a post from over two months ago so that you could say this? 

I'm reading through the thread.  Wasn't searching out for it, or you, but lo and behold....

Sorry to pump up your self-importance story though.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing this and it's exactly what I expected and I thoroughly enjoyed the season. It's exactly what it has been, super cheesy, often predictable, toxicly positive, but still puts me in a good mood. Here are my stream of consciousness thoughts having just finished the season.

The episodes were too long and I think they tried to address too many things at times, some it felt like filler. I hated how they did McAdoo's reaction to Colin. We all knew they weren't going to make him a homophobe and his anger reaction just felt off, same with his reaction to the f-word from the fan. I'm happy to see that people aren't all "ehrmahgerd enough with the gays," I honestly expected that, glad it wasn't a big issue here (I'm sure it was elsewhere). Jack was a shitty person, included obviously to show complexity in all relationships. I loved Zava, he was obviously there to explain how Richmond went from being predicted last to the top of the standings. How old is Rebecca supposed to be? I thought she was like in her 50's or something, felt odd that she thought she might potentially still be fertile. She's gorgeous and fabulous but I thought her character was supposed to be older. Do people here really universally think Keeley is super hot? She always looked like an alien to me back to season 1, cute for sure, stylish etc., but not hot in my opinion. Not that it matters, I like her character. I was on an edible which might explain that I never really figured out what the problem was with Ted's mom. Was it really just that they didn't like how the other reacted to his father's death? I'm pretty sure I missed some deep meaning in that situation. Jamie and his mum was heartwarming af. I hoped they'd go a little deeper into Jamie getting back to being a prick and using it as motivation, but in a more positive and focused manner. It happened, just wanted to see more of that story line in more games. I really hate Nate's girlfriend. Maybe its the actress because her face looked so empty and vapid all the time, like walking sarcasm, I couldn't figure her out at all. I think someone mentioned hating the actor playing Ted's son, I sort of agree, I felt nothing for him and would have preferred Ted to stay in the UK and take up permanent residence, It's what I would have done, long distance parenting happens all the time in todays world after divorce. Roy's walk is so distracting to me for some reason, so fake and exaggerated by Goldstein, doesn't really affect my appreciation for the character, just distracting. I appreciated the little things showing growth amongst the characters, like how Ted managed to ward off a full scale panic attack. The kids cussing at Jamie and Roy calling them good lads was awesome, one of my favorite scenes. Did they ever explain if Ted's ex dating the marriage counselor violated ethics rules? I think I caught that maybe there was a significant time lapse between their sessions and their relationship, but it truly felt criminal to me and we're not supposed to fully hate Michelle I don't think. The lady who owns the pub cracks me up, I really hope there are charming people like that running pubs in the UK. That's it for now I guess.   

• Like 1

I don't get how y'all think Rebecca is hot. She's not even 50 years old and looks like she's pushing 60. I mean, there's probably some 60 year old almost millionaire out there who would be proud to pull that, but come on y’all. 

If you’re shooting down 50 yr olds (she’s 49) who look better than this….please share:

634d259b829ef458197c13c7a4c68eb6.jpg
1a767bb82df61c7d45137a8ddda03e67.jpg

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I don't get how y'all think Rebecca is hot. She's not even 50 years old and looks like she's pushing 60. I mean, there's probably some 60 year old almost millionaire out there who would be proud to pull that, but come on y’all. 

roy-kent-ted-lasso-why-won-t-you-let-me-

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Apparently one of my boys got an apple+ subscription so I’m watching S1E1. I’m sure I’ll like it but it looks like Major League  meets Pee Wee's Big Adventure so far

Personally I think Major League is terrific and fine company from a comparison standpoint.  

I was flipping through random movies on Prime the other day (it’s become the go-to for studio films from 85-2000) and came across The Program.  It’s so dumb and cliche ridden but i couldn’t stop watching it-apparently same writer/director as Major League.  Also in the weird trivia department, his daughter is the founder of Maisonette (expensive online store for kid stuff).  

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2023 at 12:02 PM, LCHorn said:

Personally I think Major League is terrific and fine company from a comparison standpoint.  

I was flipping through random movies on Prime the other day (it’s become the go-to for studio films from 85-2000) and came across The Program.  It’s so dumb and cliche ridden but i couldn’t stop watching it-apparently same writer/director as Major League.  Also in the weird trivia department, his daughter is the founder of Maisonette (expensive online store for kid stuff).  

The Program is just terrible. Had no idea it was done by the Major League guy. Major League is light years better.

On 11/12/2023 at 5:39 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’ve been binging Ted Lasso this week.  I had always heard it was a great series and I really didn’t know anything about it other than it won a lot of awards and it was about a soccer coach.  I was hooked after the first episode. The entire premise is really so stupid that it’s hard to believe it works, but it is just an incredibly well done show.  I started out thinking it was just a comedy, but it is so much more than that.  It really touches on so many things that affect people’s lives that is makes it a hard show to really define.  I just finished episode 10 of season 2 about two hours ago and I haven’t been able to sleep since I finished it.  That’s the episode with Rebecca’s father’s funeral.  It was a very emotional episode for me for some very personal reasons and it has made me realize that I need to do some serious introspection.  I really like the show,  but I think it may be a while before I’m going to be able to finish it. 

Sometimes I wish people really could be like goldfish.

The first season is absolute magic. The entire show is good but S1 is as good as TV gets.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:55 AM, BHMCruiser said:

The darts scene is one of the best scenes in all of television history

It's fantastic.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The first season is absolute magic. The entire show is good but S1 is as good as TV gets.

I think the biggest differentiator between the seasons is actually the audience. Aside from not knowing the characters and learning about them as it went (something present in all new stuff) I at least am cynical enough to keep wondering what Ted’s real deal was and when we will find out he’s not the guy he presents himself as. And it never happened. He is that guy. Closest we got was some exposition as to why is is the way he is, which just further cemented his behavior as real. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2023 at 10:02 AM, LCHorn said:

david s ward.  he also wrote my favorite movie, the sting.

about 15 years ago, i met a girl in a bar and we were drinking and talking and at some point, we started talking about movies, and i said my favorite movie was the sting.  turns out she was a senior at chapman (in oc) and david s ward was one of her professors and she did not like him.

8 years later we got married.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:16 AM, utee94 said:

Man do I miss this show.

I'll re-watch it of course, after some time has passed, but it's never the same, as the first time.

I’m still finding friends that never seen it 

That feeling you get when said friends finally sit the asses down and watch what we’ve been recommending for years.   🤌🏼🤌🏼

just started a rewatch couple days ago. And it’s still beautiful 

• Hook 'Em 1