2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

1 minute ago, Shaggybevo said:

Just watched the FB Live press conference with Austin city management/mayor.

SUMMARY: Special thanks to everyone working so hard to resolve all these issues. Unprecedented.  The extended team are leveraging cross organizational synergies to formalize and coordinate dependencies. ERCOT bad. If you have power, reduce your thermostat. Everyone is working extremely hard on the synergistic coordination. Unprecedented.  Several task forces have been formed and will schedule planning sessions soon.  They are looking forward to coordinate the synergistic dependencies. ERCOT bad.  They also want to thank the first responders and everyone else that are working so hard on these issues.  If you have power, reduce your thermostat. We are all in this together - and we need to drive the synergy development process.  Unprecedented.  Again, please donate money to charities, because we are all in this together.  Again, special thanks to the people working to solve these problems.  ERCOT bad.  If you have power, reduce your thermostat.

yeah, completely out of their fucking element

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I think main roads will be passable on Thursday.  Secondary roads?  Not until Friday later afternoon - maybe.  For sure by Saturday.  
I only care about the roads, don't care when it melts on the "grass" or whatever.

Supposed to fly out thursday morning from DFW for work. Boss still says it will happen, however he doesn't live in Texas so he knows fuck all. I wouldn't be mad if it got cancelled

Edited by Zepol87

3 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

SUMMARY: Special thanks to everyone working so hard to resolve all these issues. Unprecedented.  The extended team are leveraging cross organizational synergies to formalize and coordinate dependencies. ERCOT bad. If you have power, reduce your thermostat. Everyone is working extremely hard on the synergistic coordination. Unprecedented.  Several task forces have been formed and will schedule planning sessions soon.  They are looking forward to coordinate the synergistic dependencies. ERCOT bad.  They also want to thank the first responders and everyone else that are working so hard on these issues.  If you have power, reduce your thermostat. We are all in this together - and we need to drive the synergy development process.  Unprecedented.  Again, please donate money to charities, because we are all in this together.  Again, special thanks to the people working to solve these problems.  ERCOT bad.  If you have power, reduce your thermostat.

"If I am elected student council President, I promise to have pizza for lunch every day and will eliminate homework!  Vote for me".

dumbasses...task forces.  did they mention hiring an "its fucking cold turn down you thermostat" czar?

• Like 1

yeah, kvue says 40% of austin is without power.
that's some bullshit, and that zoom press conference they just held showed that they have fuckall of a plan.
why wait until a crisis to think about mitigation? fuck's sake.

Yeah....this is super bad.

Record low temp tonight, and 40% of Austin is without power (196,000....which is about half of the total customers out of power in the entire state).

No plan to get it back on, hopeful for tomorrow afternoon. Wtf?

We’ll survive, we have fireplaces and lots of wood. But some people are going to die tonight. And the property damage is going to be enormous.

Reduce it to what? I just set it at 59 because I can bundle up and feel comfortable.

My girl dog won't poop in the snow. I don't think she peed either. I tried got get her too but she is not having it. I'm going to have to walk her and I may as well go to the neighborhood store for supplies. I was without power Thursday for about 8 hours. So I hope I don't have to deal with that again. 

9 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

Did any of the city officials appear to be speaking from Cabo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

1oMqf-.gif

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

Reduce it to what? I just set it at 59 because I can bundle up and feel comfortable.

My girl dog won't poop in the snow. I don't think she peed either. I tried got get her too but she is not having it. I'm going to have to walk her and I may as well go to the neighborhood store for supplies. I was without power Thursday for about 8 hours. So I hope I don't have to deal with that again. 

try 33.  I have had power yesterday and today luckily.  no rolling yet.  its possible that when they finally fixed ours it might have made our area more stable.  

I'd be fucking livid if my power was still out. 

40. Fucking. Percent. Of the city is without power. With no plan to get it back on. Because our switches apparently only turn off, not on.

This is a colossal failure of planning. Sure, go with rolling blackouts. Take me off for an hour, put me on for an hour. We’ve been off almost 12 hours. Running pots of boiling water and fireplaces, able to keep it around 50....till it drops down to 5 tonight.

Seriously, people are going to die. Old folks, people who live in apartments particularly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’ve got my thermostats set at 65 and it’s pretty damn chilly in my house. I feel for those of you without power.

I have mine at 72 and its 65. So, we're even?

If y'all had any idea of the amount of power we are wasting at work you would shit a brick.

Edited by RPM

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, go with rolling blackouts. Take me off for an hour, put me on for an hour.

This has been our situation here in Denton County (which is a few degrees colder than Travis Co or Wilco) - off an hour, on for an hour since about 2 am today.

Kind of annoying, but at least it's enough to keep the house warm and so far all my inside faucets are still working (hot & cold).

I couldn't even imagine 12+ hours without power in this cold.  Sending warm thoughts south.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'd be fucking livid if my power was still out. 

I have a friend that lives in NW Austin, his power has been out since 2 AM. I guess he was one of the first "rolling" blackout victims that got stuck, and never rolled.   I'd say he's definitely screwed with respect to property damage. 

Pretty sure I'd be having my attorney draft a strongly worded note right about now.

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

So his source is mostly 'an insider' and a heavy hedge on, "If he's correct."  I'd take it with a grain of salt for now.

With a similar grain of salt caveat, let's talk about wind:

It's true we put too many eggs in the single basket of natural gas, for a variety of reasons, many good, some questionable.  But I can think of 6 coal plants, 5 which burned cleaner WY coal, that were closed in the last 3 years.  Monticello near Sulphur Springs, Oklaunion near Wichita Falls, Big Brown near Teague, one north of Navasota, another east of Taylor, and one of the San Antonio plants (owned by the city of Austin.  They wanked poetic about that closing and how they were going green.)

Most of those closures were earlier than required.  Partly low natural gas prices, some tied to the scheduled tightening of regulations approved prior to 2017, and a lot tied to heavy pressure on utilities by activist shareholders and polticians (such as state attorney generals who filed bogus lawfare suits against Exxon regarding spurious climate change accusations, and Exxon's stock price has never recovered even though they got those suits dismissed years later.)

6 MW of coal plants removed out of 125 MW total capacity.  Think we could have used that today?

Now I don't know the exact costs to convert those to peaker only plants, and perhaps it was not possible for 1 or more of them.  But we're reaping what we sowed.

I'd rather deal with this for a few days during a once a generation weather event if it means we're progressing to cleaner energy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

27 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Fuck you Austin Energy.  There's not anything "rolling" about my power being off for 6+ hours now.

Add Oncor/ERCOT and anyone else in charge to the list of Fuck You’s. Power been out here going on 9 hours at least. I had my shit turned down last night trying to conserve power but now I wished I would of been blasting that bitch at 80s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I have a friend that lives in NW Austin, his power has been out since 2 AM. I guess he was one of the first "rolling" blackout victims that got stuck, and never rolled.   I'd say he's definitely screwed with respect to property damage. 

Pretty sure I'd be having my attorney draft a strongly worded note right about now.

Plumbers about to make a killing. 

3 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Add Oncor/ERCOT and anyone else in charge to the list of Fuck You’s. Power been out here going on 9 hours at least. I had my shit turned down last night trying to conserve power but now I wished I would of been blasting that bitch at 80s. 

I haven't noticed anyone I know in Southlake or Trophy Club complaining on social media about outages. And those cunts would be the first to complain. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I haven't noticed anyone I know in Southlake or Trophy Club complaining on social media about outages. And those cunts would be the first to complain. 

Everybody in my part of Trophy Club doesn’t have power. I think the older part does have power. We are staying at the Holiday Inn by HG tonight. As of right now they are good. 

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

How dangerous would it be if you were the only person with a running, whole-house backup generator right now? Any point in fighting the Karen hordes? Or just better to bug out before they inevitably kill you?

gas, grass, or ass.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not if the sun is out. Might not even take that, as your ground isn’t all that cold. 

Watching this in action from my window in Denver. It’s 21 outside but the snow is nearly gone from the park across the street just from the sun today. And the ground is a lot colder here. 

Here's the latest from Oncor.  I think people know most of this, but it's the first time I've seen anyone try to explain what's going on.

https://thewire.oncor.com/pages/article.html#oncor__emergency_operations_feb_15_afternoon_update

The length of these controlled outages have been significantly extended due to the current emergency grid conditions and severe cold weather. These outages are taking place across the service territory and ERCOT has said they could be required through Tuesday. We are asking all Oncor customers to be prepared to be without power for an extended period of time.    

Q: Why are some homes out for hours and others for minutes or not at all?

Again, there are two major issues affecting many of customers right now: winter storm outages and controlled power outages directed by ERCOT. We are using all designated power lines for controlled outages so that hospitals and other critical infrastructure remains intact and system stability is preserved. This means that customers near critical facilities, or those in limited areas where rolling outages won’t take place in order to maintain grid stability, may not experience outages, while those farther from these facilities or areas may be out multiple times or for longer instances. 

Additionally, during instances of substantial generation drop, there are safeguards built into the system that drop power loads automatically in order to prevent cascading widespread outages, or ultimately a blackout. These are designed to be shorter term drops that are reset quicker than controlled outages to prepare for the next response opportunity.

19 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

12 hours and no power in 78702. Pretty cold In the house and my poor kids... my 1.5 has blue lips he is so cold.

Lit the stove burners but only so much that can do. Might be heading to a hotel tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIFY. I would find a hotel with power now. Once it starts to get dark & colder, hotel rooms will be going fast. I assume many people are holding out for hope that the power comes back but there is no indication that is the case.