Slick16

Move To Ban The Eyes of Texas

Not that it probably matters, but there’s no clear evidence the song was actually performed in blackface (despite what some sloppy modern day newspaper accounts suggest). It seems highly likely there was blackface at the show, given the nature of minstrels, but it was quite common in that era (early 1900s) to have only the end men comedians in blackface while the musicians played songs. And the skit that set up the song (an Aggie on his way to see the UT president) is not consistent with a typical blackface farce (tamu like ut was segregated). 

10 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Not that it probably matters, but there’s no clear evidence the song was actually performed in blackface (despite what some sloppy modern day newspaper accounts suggest). It seems highly likely there was blackface at the show, given the nature of minstrels, but it was quite common in that era (early 1900s) to have only the end men comedians in blackface while the musicians played songs. And the skit that set up the song (an Aggie on his way to see the UT president) is not consistent with a typical blackface farce (tamu like ut was segregated). 

There are many assumptions in the call to remove the eyes as the school song. Maybe this occurred. Maybe this person meant this when they wrote that. Not very fact-based.

the school should definitely apologize for any involvement with minstrel shows and also rename anything that is currently named after confederate “heroes” or anyone who actively fought against integration. This should have already been done by now. 

The Eyes of Texas is now stained regardless of the truth. And perhaps it deserves that. Who knows. Professor Gordon got his wish. He convinced the players that it’s racist, so now it is.  Play it at away games, and UT fans might as well put on white KKK hats.

UT will ultimately agree to stop playing it, but some fans will dig their heels in and sing it that much more. It will be a shit show.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There are many assumptions in the call to remove the eyes as the school song. Maybe this occurred. Maybe this person meant this when they wrote that. Not very fact-based.

the school should definitely apologize for any involvement with minstrel shows and also rename anything that is currently named after confederate “heroes” or anyone who actively fought against integration. This should have already been done by now. 

The Eyes of Texas is now stained regardless of the truth. And perhaps it deserves that. Who knows. Professor Gordon got his wish. He convinced the players that it’s racist, so now it is.  Play it at away games, and UT fans might as well put on white KKK hats.

UT will ultimately agree to stop playing it, but some fans will dig their heels in and sing it that much more. It will be a shit show.

Admittedly I haven't been following much football and have only seen references to this subject in other threads so please forgive my ignorance. Is this really a thing with the players or are you being hyperbolic? I hadn't even heard of this until last night. 

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Forgot to add one comment and cannot edit now. I completely understand and agree that white people do not get to define what is racist to an African-American. Whether that is one person or much large groups. Anyone’s opinion is valid.

And they wonder why Hank the Hallucination was hands down winner to lead SG. 

Hey that’s my candidate we’re taking about. Back off.

I think when you go after something like this, you give fuel to the ppl looking to blunt the BLM movement.

Its like the Aziz Ansari allegation during #Metoo.

Of all the things to go after... all the change that the Athletes could ask for... they go after a song that might have, well most likely was done in black face. It’s not a racist don’t but could have been performed in a racist way.

Are we not supposed to enjoy Othello because Laurence Olivier did in black face?

Are we not to enjoy Lethal Weapon 5 or 6 due to half the movie being done in black face? Or is it more offensive when Riggs was played by a white man using Black voice for the other half?

where does it end?

22 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Admittedly I haven't been following much football and have only seen references to this subject in other threads so please forgive my ignorance. Is this really a thing with the players or are you being hyperbolic? I hadn't even heard of this until last night. 

Ah, a whole thread on the football board. I'll admit to being an idiot at times. 

I think when you go after something like this, you give fuel to the ppl looking to blunt the BLM movement.
Its like the Aziz Ansari allegation during #Metoo.
Of all the things to go after... all the change that the Athletes could ask for... they go after a song that might have, well most likely was done in black face. It’s not a racist don’t but could have been performed in a racist way.
Are we not supposed to enjoy Othello because Laurence Olivier did in black face?
Are we not to enjoy Lethal Weapon 5 or 6 due to half the movie being done in black face? Or is it more offensive when Riggs was played by a white man using Black voice for the other half?

where does it end?

I mean, I’m not behind the banning of the Eyes, but your post implies that this THE THING (singular) that they chose to go after, out of “all of the change the athletes could ask for”.

That implication is fucking inaccurate and stupid AF. It’s one of 8 bullet points of asks from a list of proposals specific the The University and athletics.

It’s like if they abandoned these goals than suddenly their main goal of “no more police murdering blacks” would magically come to fruition.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Did any players sing after the game?

The team just walked off the field like they do after a practice.

The LHB was not at the game, so where would the team gather to sing it anyway?