Is Deshaun Watson Done in Houston?

Vic Mackey

When this started, the haters and conspiracy theorists believed Buzbee was working on behalf of Cal McNair, but everything Buzbee is doing is fucking over the Texans’ ability to get any trade value for Watson. If/when Goodell puts Watson on the exempt list, the real loser is the team because they have to keep paying Watson to not play and won’t be able to trade him. It would be better if the NFL would complete their investigation and give him his 6 game to whole season suspension. If that happened, Texans don’t have to pay him and can recoup some of the signing bonus, and can start trade negotiations. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
F’ conditional draft picks. Whether he gets suspected or not, whenever he comes back he’ll still be a top 5 QB in his prime. They shouldn’t accept some bullshit that reverts to a couple third round picks if his goes to the pokey for 30 days due to indecent handjobs. 
Would you take Tua and 2 1sts?

56 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
13 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:
F’ conditional draft picks. Whether he gets suspected or not, whenever he comes back he’ll still be a top 5 QB in his prime. They shouldn’t accept some bullshit that reverts to a couple third round picks if his goes to the pokey for 30 days due to indecent handjobs. 

Would you take Tua and 2 1sts?

Does Tua suck still? I hope the floor for any trade is two 1sts. I think WFT or NO would give them that now even with the legal crap outstanding. Next offseason, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Atlanta will be in the mix. Two firsts isn’t much considering most teams give up at least one future first with their own the current year to move up and get a QB. SF just gave up two future firsts; or 3 firsts if you include the pick they received, to get Trey Lance. Who would take Trey Lance over Watson??

Maybe the Dolphins or Eagles would give up 3 #1’s on the condition that if he suspended or jailed for more than half a season one of the #1’s turns into something less. The idea that the Texans should trade him for peanuts is stupid as shit. They’d be better off just keeping him at 4th string punter. 

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The no trade clause really bothers me. It’s him that demands a trade. It’s his off- field actions that diminish his value. If he really wants out then he should waive his his no- trade clause. Otherwise, let him rot. 

It's thought that most of the "rumors" that have been leaked have been from his camp trying to create leverage and a market.  It's not a good look that beat writers for each team have reported, "nothing over here".  Anything can happen and it only takes one team who wants to push all their chips in on gutshot straight draw, but the more likely course is he's a healthy scratch for the season, clarity comes in the offseason, and he's traded as close to his peak value (which is still probably 75 cents on the dollar) as possible.  Too much unknown for most organizations.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

• 1 month later...
Picks? I would a first or a second round pick instead of Tua. 

I have no interest in Tua, but he is most likely going to be part of the deal unless a 3rd team gets involved. Oh well, throw him out there until the answer does come along through the draft.

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

I have no interest in Tua, but he is most likely going to be part of the deal unless a 3rd team gets involved. Oh well, throw him out there until the answer does come along through the draft.

I'm not sure he's any better than that current cat. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Picks? I would a first or a second round pick instead of Tua. 

Miami is probably feeling the heat after starting 1-5 and losing to Jacksonville. Unfortunately Philly owns Miami’s first rounder. They own SF’s first rounder (#13 overall as of now). I don’t know how much value they can offer. Maybe a third team can get involved to take Tua for a second rounder? 
Hopefully this gets other QB-needy teams antsy to throw their hats back in. Philly would have three picks in the top 12 if the season ended today. Denver needs a QB too. New Orleans, Detroit, Carolina, Giants may all be interested in the off-season. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

3rd team.  Reportedly, Houston's not interested in Tua.  It's one of the hurdles, Miami has to find a team who will give them the picks they need to send over to Houston.

42 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Miami is probably feeling the heat after starting 1-5 and losing to Jacksonville. Unfortunately Philly owns Miami’s first rounder. They own SF’s first rounder (#13 overall as of now). I don’t know how much value they can offer. Maybe a third team can get involved to take Tua for a second rounder? 
Hopefully this gets other QB-needy teams antsy to throw their hats back in. Philly would have three picks in the top 12 if the season ended today. Denver needs a QB too. New Orleans, Detroit, Carolina, Giants may all be interested in the off-season. 

Watson has a full no trade and doesn't want to go to Philly and they've been told.  Same with Detroit  Maybe sitting on his ass for a couple of months has changed his mind but probably not.  Also, logically, what's trading for Watson going to reasonably do for their season?  Probably doesn't show up for a couple of weeks, still have @ Buffalo, NO, and Tennessee on the schedule along Carolina and NO at home.  9-8 would be unbelievable but with their injuries on defense, it's looking more like 7-10.  Now, what happens if Watson gets criminally charged and then suspended in the offseason? 

Miami definitely is interested, its about how stupid are they willing to get?  Their owner is a meddling moron and their GM, while having done well to stockpile picks, isn't good in the draft room.  It also seems like Miami is bidding vs themselves and it's probably because the owner, after having been rumored to require his GM to draft Tua over Herbert, is bored and wants erase the bad taste in his mouth, while the GM is nervous about job security and will do whatever he can to make his boss happy.  Unless the Texans are selling at a substantial discount from earlier, Miami is probably going to be "that team"...... "that sucker".

I doubt many will feel sympathy for Deshaun (if they do somehow already) if the Texans force him to waive his no trade clause or else force him to play (or fine/not pay him). No trade clauses are put in place for when the team is driving the trade and the player wants say on where he goes if he’s forced. It’s nearly impossible to justify getting a no trade then weaponizing it while demanding a trade before your newly signed extension has even kicked in. And the fear being spread by pro-Deshaun factions is that free agents won’t come to Houston if they don’t treat him right on the way out? First, the players will take the Texans’ money. Second, Deshaun is not some guiltless victim in all this. 

• Like 1

And possible suspension or not, the Texans will be the one paying a significant portion of the remaining 4.5 years on the contract (the signing bonus and 2021 guaranteed money). That considered with a top 5 QB has to be worth more than the two #1’s obtained for Jamal Adams, Jalen Ramsey, Laramie Tunsil, etc. I hope Caserio gets at least two firsts and two seconds. 

21 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

And possible suspension or not, the Texans will be the one paying a significant portion of the remaining 4.5 years on the contract (the signing bonus and 2021 guaranteed money). That considered with a top 5 QB has to be worth more than the two #1’s obtained for Jamal Adams, Jalen Ramsey, Laramie Tunsil, etc. I hope Caserio gets at least two firsts and two seconds. 

I saw at least two Houston media personalities talk about 3 firsts and 2 2nds with a 3rd which could go to a 2nd and a player.  That's a lot of draft capital.  Again, Miami isn't very good in the draft room so ouch.  The irony?  Watson would probably be in a situation similar to the last couple of years in Houston.

All the draft capital in the world didn't get the Dolphins anywhere, they're sitting at an ugly 1-5 and got beat by the lowly Jags. Quite the inexplicable tumble from 10-6 in 2020. You know damn well the Texans are going to demand the three first rounders Miami has in it's possession the next two drafts along with second rounders or players. Tua is undoubtedly better than Mills, but does Houston want to roll the dice on a QB that can't remain healthy? It'll be interesting to see if the Dolphins pull the trigger before the deadline.

18 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

First, the players will take the Texans money.

This is first, second, and third, and I don’t blame them one bit. An NFL career is pretty much Logan’s Run; bank as much as you can, while you still can.

And I’m loving the Miami shit; their owner is like 150 and doesn’t give a fuck about long-term impact, community outrage, etc. We might be able to get out from under (“frumunda” cheese, lol) this shitshow yet because we somehow found a bigger fuckup owner than our own Tommy Boy…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

I usually disagree with Florio, but today he and Simms were discussing the situation and both said the Dolphins should do it before some other team does in the offseason. Florio called first round picks “lottery scratch offs” which Miami has fucked up the last couple years. So why not give up the 3 they own over the next two years to get a guaranteed franchise QB?

12 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Have a feeling the steelers will make a move for him 

With what?  They don't have much draft capital.  They don't have a young QB.  Maybe all their picks and Dionte Johnson?  Claypool?  Doubtful.

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I usually disagree with Florio, but today he and Simms were discussing the situation and both said the Dolphins should do it before some other team does in the offseason. Florio called first round picks “lottery scratch offs” which Miami has fucked up the last couple years. So why not give up the 3 they own over the next two years to get a guaranteed franchise QB?

This makes sense if you knew he'd skate on the legal charges.  But what happens if he gets criminally charged?  This thing becomes a circus, his trial may not be until next fall considering all the potential witnesses and court backlogs.  After the trial, then the NFL investigates.  He could literally miss the rest of this year, next year and into 2023.  Now, that is probably a worst case scenario for him, but until you know his legal situation, there's a lot of downside risk.  If the grand jury decides not to charge, then he could be playing in a month and then on to next year...... you just have a pariah with women as the face of your franchise.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This makes sense if you knew he'd skate on the legal charges.  But what happens if he gets criminally charged?  This thing becomes a circus, his trial may not be until next fall considering all the potential witnesses and court backlogs.  After the trial, then the NFL investigates.  He could literally miss the rest of this year, next year and into 2023.  Now, that is probably a worst case scenario for him, but until you know his legal situation, there's a lot of downside risk.  If the grand jury decides not to charge, then he could be playing in a month and then on to next year...... you just have a pariah with women as the face of your franchise.

He addressed this. It is unlikely he is criminally charged and even less likely he will be jailed. A team trading for Watson isn’t doing it for the next 2-3 years. It’s about a franchise QB in his prime for the next 5-10 years. If he gets suspended or paid leave for 8 games in 2022 that’s a short sighted complaint in the spectrum of a decade’s worth of All-Pro play at the most important position in sports. 

It seems like if he was going to be criminally charged it would have happened by now. It seems fairly apparent that he is going to only face civil “damages”. If he were smart he would have already settled and gone about his business, but obviously he is not very smart since here we are.