2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Sweat and Coburn both looked better as FR. I don't know if this was a Herman, Orlando, or Yancy thing but several of our DL got way too big. 

And Murphy looked better than both.  Seemed like every time Murphy was in the game he was getting penetration, standing up double teams, or stuffing the middle.  Hell, he should probably be the starter next year.  Murphy and the Washington DT would be a great 1-2 at that spot.  Ojomo, Collins, maybe Bledsoe (an EE) at the other spot?  Sweat?

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

And Murphy looked better than both.  Seemed like every time Murphy was in the game he was getting penetration, standing up double teams, or stuffing the middle.  Hell, he should probably be the starter next year.  Murphy and the Washington DT would be a great 1-2 at that spot.  Ojomo, Collins, maybe Bledsoe (an EE) at the other spot?  Sweat?

Yeah, I agree with Ricky above. About the only two interior DL I care about are Ojomo and Murphy. 

That's under the assumption that Collins isn't an interior DL. 

I've yet to see a plan on Collins. Is he playing jack or moving back inside? 

3 hours ago, quigley said:

I've seen this logic elsewhere and obviously hope it's correct, but, as others have alluded to, there are several assumptions that have been made.

A few thoughts on Williams' situation based on logic, a podcast Williams was on that dropped yesterday, and OU's 9.95ers:
- He would never transfer to USC. Per the other players on the podcast, Williams may have legit won the QB job in Spring and Fall camp. Riley stuckwith Rattler. Williams spoke very coolly about Riley abandoning the team and how he did it. USC is a complete mess, especially the OL. The OL coach still hasn't been hired. Just based on how the offense will look next year, why would any QB want that punishment?

- Williams is the unquestioned leader on the team. If he goes somewhere else, he's going to have to recreate that dynamic.

- Where would Williams go right now that is an obviously better situation than OU?
Ohio St and Bama have QBs coming back next year.
A&M runs an outdated offense and will have Max Johnson (Williams >> Johnson).
Georgia is a QB killing ground.
Clemson was awful on offense this year and will have new coordinator who has never called plays next year.
Michigan will have McNamera and McCarthy coming back.

Where am I missing?

No place comes to mind. He's the unquestioned starter at OU. (Evers will be his back up?)  Unless he's truly dead set on following Riley which you probably won't hear about til after the bowl if anything at all. Even then he still has to compete with Dart. OU got pretty lucky on that front with USC having a stud freshman of their own to build around. 

3 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Sweat was a terror in HS at 280 and impressive as a freshman.

He needs to come in at 300-310, get some of his quickness back, and not get so tired that he stands up after a couple of plays. He can hold the line, but he needs to be crushing it and he's just carrying too much weight to be consistent.

That is about all he can do currently. He needs to lose 30 pounds. 

I have no idea why people feel our current situation at defensive tackle and nose tackle is fine. This coaching staff needs to find one starter quality player inside unless they're about to play a bunch of freshman. Sweat is a depth player and that's it. 

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This looks about right. If Sweat, Coburn, Broughton are getting significant reps again at nose tackle and defensive tackle Texas is properly screwed. Did Texas fans not watch this season? 

Murphy has the most upside out of the group and should be a starter if he takes the next step. A two deep of transfer and Murphy with Ojomo and Collins on the other side has some potential. There are some kool-aid drinkers in this thread. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sweat and Coburn both looked better as FR. I don't know if this was a Herman, Orlando, or Yancy thing but several of our DL got way too big. 

Yancy was bad. Coburn and Sweat cut weight this season and they're still fatties. 

People keep blaming Becton which I don't understand. Coburn and Sweat couldn't last more than a couple plays under Ash because of how big they were. 

5 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

How many years does Gabriel have?  Saw 3 somewhere, if so, Martin always struck me as wanting to start sooner than that.  Agree on the take though.  You dont pass on Gabriel

3 if he uses the super senior/Covid year option.  If we get 3 years of a good/great Gabriel and it costs us an unproven high schooler, so be it.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A two deep of transfer and Murphy with Ojomo and Collins on the other side has some potential. 

The three highest rated defensive players this year per PFF with at least 200 snaps were: 1) Barron 2) Ojomo 3) Murphy. 

If Collins stays inside I like that group with a transfer. There's some talent there between Ojomo, Murphy, Collins, and let's say the Washington transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't know if he's been mentioned here but Taj Harris is another very good option. He hasn't put up eye popping numbers but he's a good player. 

Taj Harris has the talent to play at Texas, but is a complete and total headcase.  I can't see Sark wanting to bring that guy into the locker room

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That is about all he can do currently. He needs to lose 30 pounds. 

I have no idea why people feel our current situation at defensive tackle and nose tackle is fine. This coaching staff needs to find one starter quality player inside unless they're about to play a bunch of freshman. Sweat is a depth player and that's it. 

This looks about right. If Sweat, Coburn, Broughton are getting significant reps again at nose tackle and defensive tackle Texas is properly screwed. Did Texas fans not watch this season? 

Murphy has the most upside out of the group and should be a starter if he takes the next step. A two deep of transfer and Murphy with Ojomo and Collins on the other side has some potential. There are some kool-aid drinkers in this thread. 

For me it's more that DT is low on the list of problems relative to other positions. Sure it'd be great to improve but there are bigger fish to fry (edge, LB, safety)

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think this is indicative of anyone leaving - they were down to two scholarship QB's and QB->TE->QB Eli Stowers.

It’s either King-Johnson or Johnson-King. I doubt Jimbo wanted to go into spring with an EE FR backup and that’s it. Guess it means no Bo Nix. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Down to 4 scholarship TE's

Liebrock, Sanders, Davis, Helm

I know coaches are high on the potential of this group - but do they look to the portal to bring in a Grad-Transfer?

I really can’t imagine it will be hard to find a former 3-star, athletically limited guy who is a plus blocker but that is what we need. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think this is indicative of anyone leaving - they were down to two scholarship QB's and QB->TE->QB Eli Stowers.

Agree. It's an odd choice for Max considering King is still the likely starter with Weigman in the wings too.

But lol if Aggy ends up starting King/Johnson for a couple years and wasting their real savior Weigman.

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Down to 4 scholarship TE's

Liebrock, Sanders, Davis, Helm

I know coaches are high on the potential of this group - but do they look to the portal to bring in a Grad-Transfer?

Considering one of those is also a portal candidate, probably. 

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s either King-Johnson or Johnson-King. I doubt Jimbo wanted to go into spring with an EE FR backup and that’s it. Guess it means no Bo Nix. 

Johnson is actually a pretty good pickup for them. Seems like a kid who would do well in a pro style offense due to his dad and the fact that he is a bit of an 80's throwback statue QB. 

12 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, I agree with Ricky above. About the only two interior DL I care about are Ojomo and Murphy. 

That's under the assumption that Collins isn't an interior DL. 

I've yet to see a plan on Collins. Is he playing jack or moving back inside? 

DT is not an issue. This literally one of the better positions on the roster. Amazingly Murphy and Ojomo finished 2nd team on the PFF All Conference team. Sweat was 3rd team. You have Coburn and Collins in the mix. Sweat has a lot of potential and I will predict he makes an NFL roster. You could add Collins, who has the talent to be a first day pick at DT. His talent gives him the ability to bump out to DE. You want to see a dramatic change in the defense, you need to focus on the edges. I believe Babers highlighted the stat that opposing offenses were running for over 10 yards a clip on their right side D gap. I am not saying DT is Steel Curtain quality, but easily the best unit in the front 7. It is not even debatable. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

We need a blocker at TE. I wonder what direction the staff heads in here. 

skinner not signing with Bama is interesting 

Miami and Cristobal are doing exactly what you would expect to try and sway Skinner these final days. Texas is not under consideration there. 

Couple nothing notes from Hummer

Oklahoma wide receiver transfer Theo Wease is still pondering his options, per a source. Auburn is heavily in play but so is a return to Oklahoma. If Caleb Williams decides to stay in Norman, there’s a great chance Wease returns as well.
Ohio State transfer Ryan Watts is being hotly pursued by Texas, TCU and Baylor, per a source. Interestingly, Watts’ former high school teammate, Terrance Brooks, just committed to the Longhorns.

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks Johnson easily beats out King Haynes next year

I don't think Johnson is particularly great, but he's better than three interceptions vs Kent St and injury prone King 

At this point, Johnson has a lot more experience than King and he is a lot bigger, physically. I would certainly assume he will be the initial starter. 

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

I guess I'm the only one here who thinks Johnson easily beats out King Haynes next year

I don't think Johnson is particularly great, but he's better than three interceptions vs Kent St and injury prone King 

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Max Johnson has a good skill set for what jimbo asks from his qbs. Smart pick up for them. 

Wait until Fisher realizes he likes his QBs to throw right-handed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I didn't realize Liebrock was looking to portal as well.  Well - yeah - we definitely going portal'in for a TE or two.

Portal or no portal, he can't stay healthy. I don't see how they can go into the season with any expectations from him. All of which is too bad because he seems to have a skillset that could do some real damage in this system.

Also, I can see the other TE's going game of thrones on each other to get a bigger cut of that sweet, sweet burnt ends cash. #unintendedconsequences

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)