Cuban Protests

Saint Austin

6 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

The beginning of the end for the Cuban Commies or just a small spark that will soon be forgotten?

Seems far too early to tell.  Hopefully the former but more likely the latter.

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It is what it is. 4 pages of "political" talk parroting the same corporate right-wing agenda then someone comes in and says "Hey there are actually reasons for this" and the reaction is "OH NO POLITICS!"

This forum is a joke.

you made this post in the daily texan. i am interested in your expanding on this point in this forum.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

you made this post in the daily texan. i am interested in your expanding on this point in this forum.

It's pretty obvious. Go to page 1 of the DT thread and read.

It becomes explicitly about political sides in post #3 and never stops from there. You, and others, don't see it as "politics" because you agree with it. The moment someone comes in with a differing perspective it becomes "politics". The traditional, mainstream corporate media view IS political even if you and many others agree with it. That thread has been political from post #3.

I think what you and others mean by "politics" is "disagreement with the accepted norm position". It's fucking idiotic.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's pretty obvious. Go to page 1 of the DT thread and read.

It becomes explicitly about political sides in post #3 and never stops from there. You, and others, don't see it as "politics" because you agree with it. The moment someone comes in with a differing perspective it becomes "politics". The traditional, mainstream corporate media view IS political even if you and many others agree with it. That thread has been political from post #3.

I think what you and others mean by "politics" is "disagreement with the accepted norm position". It's fucking idiotic.

it's hard to measure and moderate.

but post number two was from a username "simon bolivar." 

is that political?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

is that political?

I agree, it's a pain in the ass to moderate which is why I never cry to the refs and I expect nothing of you as a mod.

As for your facetious question, not sure what the point of it is.

1 minute ago, Xian said:

Lol astroturf?

curious, why do you think that? 

Because that's been the pattern in Cuba specifically and Latin America in general for many, many decades. It might be fully organic, I guess we'll see. But I've got 50+ years of CIA-directed horseshit to point at.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Because that's been the pattern in Cuba specifically and Latin America in general for many, many decades. It might be fully organic, I guess we'll see. But I've got 50+ years of CIA-directed horseshit to point at.

You might be right but your tinfoil hat might be a little snug.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I agree, it's a pain in the ass to moderate which is why I never cry to the refs and I expect nothing of you as a mod.

As for your facetious question, not sure what the point of it is.

It’s because message boards go to shit when political content isn’t confined to one forum.

42 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

is that political?

Where one talks about the news, we find politics.

There is a market for news headlines and links to know more about the news. News only means not talking about the news in that thread. A newsfeed/news aggregator experience, if you will, not a water cooler. 

From my experience, commenting on news has become political by nature.  There are a lot of competing narratives and defenders out there who want (and may deserve) to be heard. When this news commentary occurs in an environment where news was the expectation, those seeking the news aggregator/newsfeed experience grow frustrated.  That's a fair complaint. 

TLDR: News only should be news only, not commenting on the news.

Most active posters want to talk about the news, which in this environment becomes political immediately. 

Are the one's complaining active posters who regularly talk about the news or lurkers seeking the news only experience? If it is the former, ignore. Some are attempting to create a TexAgs experience. 

You have been a conscientious contributor to and curator for this community for a hell of a long time. thank you

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

We Americans, collectively, have kind of lost focus on what's going on with our southern neighbors lately, and I hope we can find some way to do some good without resorting to some of the military adventurism from our past (Yanqui Go Home!).

South of the Border:

• Mexico has it's problems with the cartels.
  • Central America has been dealing with droughts and hurricanes and ongoing violence, leading to poor folks making the trek to our borders.

The Caribbean:

• Puerto Rico, which is our own territory, has never fully recovered from the hurricane and the loss of tax breaks that once favored big pharma manufacturing which has led to an absolute massive exodus of US citizens relocating to the mainland.
  • Haiti is just completely broken. Remember the assassination from just a few days ago that we're no longer talking about?
  • And, now, Cuba is in crisis with a potential uprising that could overthrow this authoritarian regime. Right now, I guess, this is the one bright spot that could give us some hope that one of them might turn it around. How we handle this could be something of a model (but so could Puerto Rico).

I doubt there's some comprehensive strategy that could solve all those problems, but we need to find a way to help these people better their lives and their countries so shit doesn't spill over into our borders. Except for all the potential for corruption, I'd lean toward some kind of Marshall Plan for the region with massive investment as a means for killing two birds with one stone: decouple from China while also help stabilize our neighbors. Not saying the EU is the model, but they've been making some headway in fits and starts in bringing the former Warsaw Pact up to Western European standards of living.

Also, end the fucking drug war as we've known it for the last 50 years. That's all I've got.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The regime needs to be swept into the dustbin of history.

So do Putin and Kim and the Saudis. Try telling that to Donald Trump. “What do you think? Our country’s so innocent?” That’s his reply.

We should start by cleaning up our own home and sweep him into the dustbin of history and then move forward from there.

9 hours ago, bolverk said:
  1. I really like your idea of leveraging the OAS & Canada to provide humanitarian aid using our base at Gitmo but no direct US involvement.
  2. Allow PR to once and for all resolve their relationship with the Mainland, providing unconditional assistance in supporting them in whatever decision they make.
  3. Haiti is...a tough one. Maybe pressure France to live up to their responsibilities to get more involved to try to integrate the country economically with other francophone countries in the Caribbean and Africa. I know that Macron has been making a real push to ensure the survival of France as a powerhouse by getting more involved with former colonies in Africa. Call it a 100-year-plan to ensure the francophonie exists as a counterweight to the dominance of the English language. Hell, maybe there could be some sort of interesting New Orleans/Haiti "special relationship." Canada, by way of Quebec, could also leverage their French-speaking population in cultural and economic exchanges.
  4. Mexico: End the drug war. Full stop. Otherwise, NAFTA has done wonders for building a nascent middle class in Mexico.
  5. Central America: Extend NAFTA to them. Fund education and infrastructure. Make the Pan-Am Highway a real transportation corridor. Provide subsidies to American companies to relocate from China to Central America.
  6. Restart some sort of TPP that excludes or better manages China's economic rise but includes a shit-ton of Pacific countries to build economic links between friendly East Asia countries and Latin America. Fuck, why not try the Philippines as some sort of cultural and economic bridge to bring that asshole Duterte back into the fold.
  7. Japan's got historical links to South America. Engage those guys in this effort.

I dunno. Just spit-balling here.

I like how you think. We should drink beer with maps. A few points. 

I am engaged now with the Rwandans going into Mozambique. They want nothing to do with the French. We are still the power. Love the French, but let them focus on Mali, Chad and Niger. Brits can play in Kenya. 

100% on Cent Am. Lets turn our bases we built into humanitarian assistance locations. Want asylum? go there. Unleash the Millennium challgenge folks. And fuck the UN. 

Agree on the rest, and while wearing are at it can we toss a few cruise missiles into Burma just cuz we can? 

20 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Mind the (Darien) gap.

As part of my hobby of Reading Old Books about Latin America, I was surprised to find that over the past 100 years, though the Darien Gap has always existed, the exact spots that people call "The Gap" have shifted. As in, places where you could travel OK in the 1920s are now considered impassible, while places where you couldn't cross in 1920 now have some sort of road system.

I forget which way it shifted. Maybe it's better to think of it as a larger zone of random roads from very basic, to ruined.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

As part of my hobby of Reading Old Books about Latin America, I was surprised to find that over the past 100 years, though the Darien Gap has always existed, the exact spots that people call "The Gap" have shifted. As in, places where you could travel OK in the 1920s are now considered impassible, while places where you couldn't cross in 1920 now have some sort of road system.

I forget which way it shifted. Maybe it's better to think of it as a larger zone of random roads from very basic, to ruined.

I think what you're saying is that the Darien Gap is also the Twilight Zone.

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

great thread and everyone should read. 

The government really fucked themselves between a shitty covid response while fucking with the currency and payment for goods at the same time.

If that thread is right, the government really has little way to recover from this economically, and it'll come down to whether the government can keep control of the military/police.  We've already seen some police abandoning their cars and we've seen protestors sticking up for each other and rescuing each other from the cops.  Some of these cops are probably reaching the point where they don't want to deal with this shit.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:35 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Should we build a wall on the Florida coast to keep the Cuban refugees out?

Best Cuban story I ever heard was from George Steinbrenner.  He said...."that El Duque is one tough sob....he came across the gulf in a 57 Chevy tied to a dozen tires....i came across in a 57' Yacht and it was hell".

• Like 1