Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

Wonder if they’d give a call to Mike Elko. He’s been in TX long enough to have some name recognition among recruits and since Leach arrived Tech hasn’t tried to play defense. He’s done defense turnaround jobs at each stop. Maybe time to shift things up out there. 

TTU’s last good hire was from the coordinator ranks. 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If he goes to Tech, that doesn't mean that will be his last stop...

Could you imagine the absolute shit fit Tech fans would have if Sark doesn't work out CDC hires Traylor from Tech in three or four  years if he indeed goes to Tech? 

LMAO!  

Imagine it? I call that "Plan A."

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Honest question - can someone explain the Traylor hype to me? I don't know his story but see that he's 53 years old and only HC experience is 2 years at UTSA. Sounds like he's a good recruiter especially in-state but not sure what else he's proven.

There were a couple posters on Surly who advocated hiring Traylor after we shitcanned Tom Herman, which was absurd.  He had just finished his first season as a college head coach, a 7-5 season at UTSA.  Anybody who still thinks that Texas should've hired Traylor is smoking crack.

Now, in his second season with UTSA undefeated and ranked, a school like Tech hiring Traylor?  I think that's a better hire.  If Texas was currently in the market for a new head coach, I'd still say no fucking way to Traylor.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, slorch said:

If Lebby gets tapped as the coach, it’ll be about 30 seconds until FIL Art Briles is brought in to ‘consult.’

Idon’t want any part of that bullshit.

All kidding aside -- who has the best chance to really have success at Tech??  

I'm guessing they need a great recruiter and a guy with experience as a Head Coach -- just don't think hiring a coordinator will work out.  Also probably need someone who can attract good assistants, is organized,  and manages his staff well.  

For me  Napier or Traylor would definitely get interviews...  

(Really thought Wells might be a good fit there )

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Leach proved its' possible to win at TTU.  Therefore, Traylor has a chance to make TTU the premier Texas program in the BIG XII with Texas and OU leaving. With the playoffs expanding he has a chance to build a comfy job that could get into the CFP from time to time.

What did leach win at tech?

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Almost none of whom he recruited, but undefeated at nUTSAck is damned impressive.

No doubt Wilson set him up well with a bunch of local kids & a random small Louisiana pipeline. Still, Traylor gave a scholarship to Marburger Magic & Ronnie Garza, he’s a hero in my book. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Tech fans seemed content with losing to Texas and OU  and only occasionally beating them.     We were to them what Bama is to aggy....   Their  National Title and Super Bowl wrapped up in one.  I know a number of Tech Alums and they all loved Leach and they wanted Kent Hance and Craig James hung by the balls when they fired Leach.   They would love to have him back.    I think he only beat us once or twice at his time in Lubbock and both times at their house.   That's all they care about is beating us once every four or five seasons, with a 9-3 , 8-4  record and a  occasional Top 25 finish in the polls.... And of course they enjoyed the offensive fireworks in most of their games.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Tech has won one outright conference championship since 1956.

Hell, they haven't had a .500 record in the Big 12 since 2009 (Leach's final year). Here are the rest of the 8 and how many they've had since then...

Baylor: 6 times

Iowa State: 4 times

Kansas: 0 times (haven't even won 2 games in a season)

Kansas State: 7 times

Oklahoma State: 9 times

TCU: 4 times (began in 2012)

West Virginia:  5 times (began in 2012)

The increase in salary will be tempting for any G5 coach but the question is if the coach would be making a good career move taking the job. If Aranda continues to do well, he will leave Baylor eventually. If I'm Traylor, that would be the job worth waiting out for. A few more underwhelming seasons and who knows what happens with Patterson at TCU too

Edited by Juke_Em

1 minute ago, Juke_Em said:

The increase in salary will be tempting for any G5 coach but the question is if the coach would be making a good career move taking the job. If Aranda continues to do well, he will leave Baylor eventually. If I'm Traylor, that would be the job worth waiting out for. A few more underwhelming seasons and who knows what happens with Patterson at TCU too

Eh, I think you take the money when it presents itself. Yes, TCU, UH, and Baylor are in better recruiting areas but I don't think I could pass on $4M/yr when I make $750k and haven't really proven it over multiple seasons.

16 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hell, they haven't had a .500 record in the Big 12 since 2009 (Leach's final year). Here are the rest of the 8 and how many they've had since then...

Baylor: 6 times

Iowa State: 4 times

Kansas: 0 times (haven't even won 2 games in a season)

Kansas State: 7 times

Oklahoma State: 9 times

TCU: 4 times (began in 2012)

West Virginia:  5 times (began in 2012)

this is why leach has been our messiah ever since.

Tubbs beat OU in norman in '10. I think ended some OU home game streak. He also beat a high ranked wvu and Geno Smith.

Kliff beat arky on the road, beat UT twice and had Mahomes and told Baker to fuck off.

Wells did nothing. In fact, this year after beating WVU on the road we were to welcome the team back to lubbock at the practice facility late at night to congratulate them. At that time it was wells 2-10 on the road.

TECH conference records starting with Spike

Spike - 1 losing, 2 at .500, 10 over .500

Leach - 1 losing, 4 at .500, 5 over .500

Wells, Kliff, Tubby - 11 losing, none at .500, none over .500

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wonder if they’d give a call to Mike Elko. He’s been in TX long enough to have some name recognition among recruits and since Leach arrived Tech hasn’t tried to play defense. He’s done defense turnaround jobs at each stop. Maybe time to shift things up out there. 

I think Elko gets a job this year but I just can't see Tech making a defensive hire.  It goes against their "Air Raid" nature.  And frankly you probably need a fast paced offense to win there.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If Traylor is smart, he goes to a bigger school asap, starts winning there, and then Texas can feel comfortable offering him the reins after the 2024 season and it's fourth straight 7-6 season. 

Wait, wait--you spelled "reins" correctly. Nobody on here does that. I think it's a rule.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Gerry Hamilton said Traylor is #1 on the Tech list by a long margin and they’re willing to offer him 4 million a year, 1.5 for each coordinator plus a large budget for other assistants and expanding personnel/recruiting department. 

They need to do this in the worst way. Also, they need to make sure Traylor can find 2 or 3 things that he likes about Lubbock.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

Yeah those other two jobs are probably high on Traylor's radar.  Jeff talks to Matt Rhule for advice so I wouldn't be surprised if their phone line isn't heating up right now.   Having a great AD will be important for Traylor from what little solid intel I can get from my East Texas buddies...  

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Tech’s location is less desirable than Baylor, UH or the DFW schools, but they still should be recruiting much better.   It’s a big state school in Texas.    Spike Dykes used to get some real players there.

The relative quality of HS football played in West Texas has severely declined since Spike was coach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

There were a couple posters on Surly who advocated hiring Traylor after we shitcanned Tom Herman, which was absurd.  He had just finished his first season as a college head coach, a 7-5 season at UTSA.  Anybody who still thinks that Texas should've hired Traylor is smoking crack.

Now, in his second season with UTSA undefeated and ranked, a school like Tech hiring Traylor?  I think that's a better hire.  If Texas was currently in the market for a new head coach, I'd still say no fucking way to Traylor.

Congrats -- you would have been on the committee to not hire Darrell Royal. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I still do, but not as some sort of offensive/defensive mastermind which is the angle in which Sark was hired. Traylor is the kind of guy you want pitching kids on the living room couch. He's probably the closest thing we have to a CFB Ted Lasso, and he just needs a solid cast around him to actually win the games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Congrats -- you would have been on the committee to not hire Darrell Royal. 

Speaking of committees:

Kirby also said wants someone with ties to TT and the state of Texas. Pretty curt about Wells and his firing basically said obviously Wells disagreed with his being fired and left it at that. Said must get HC decision right and if they aren’t striving to be elite then shame on them. 

Most San Antonio media picked up on the fact Traylor is a candidate. Kens5 in particular.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/ncaa/ncaaf/texas-tech-reportedly-eyeing-utsas-traylor-as-next-head-coach/273-ff992d74-afdc-4b18-aadc-92ef9b7386e1
“As first reported by KENS 5's Vinnie Vinzetta, head coach Jeff Traylor is being considered by Texas Tech as their next head football coach. The Red Raiders fired head coach Matt Wells Monday following the team's loss to Kansas State. “

Edited by Nicole44

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I still do, but not as some sort of offensive/defensive mastermind which is the angle in which Sark was hired. Traylor is the kind of guy you want pitching kids on the living room couch. He's probably the closest thing we have to a CFB Ted Lasso, and he just needs a solid cast around him to actually win the games. 

That’s the problem though, I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that Traylor attracts even half the kind of talent that sark was able to put together staff wise. Then all the whiny bitches in here would be talking about how we have no “coaching” going on and only one coach can close…same shit same story but less money I guess. 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

In the 2000's he won 9+ games four times while having to play Texas, OU, Aggy, Colorado or Nebraska all of whom could recruit better talent. In addition when he got it just right he was able to go 11 - 1 during the regular season. Traylor would not have to deal with such disadvantage so he could get it right more times than Leach that is what I mean by being able to win.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/colby-carthel/627

Colby Carthel might be a wild card pick.   He’s taken two programs that were total crap and turned them around.   Commerce won a National title and SFA is a work in progress.   SFA nearly knocked off Tech back in September.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I just put a curse on you that I've been keeping in my back pocket for a situation just like this.

Have fun never, ever finding a decent parking place as long as you live.

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach