Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, futureman said:

it’s pretty awesome that instead of figuring out ways to raise test scores the better plan is to just eliminate tests.  this generation is gonna be fine. 

The way to raise test scores is to give equal access to resources.

When I worked in HISD, River Oaks Elementary spent more than 8k per student per year. It had two computers per class and nature area. Most rooms had an aide. I also went to a 5th Ward school that spent 1.5k/student. This school didn't have enough books for each student so there was no homework. This was in the mid 1990s after Robin Hood.

Equalize opportunity, equalize mentorship, and you'll see test scores rise.

This is all pretty much general knowledge now, but here's a link if your interested.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/rich-students-get-better-sat-scores-heres-why.html

Edited by quigley
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not many times do you get to see a 300 pound guy running a sweep.  Would be a pretty quick nose tackle--he's a take, even if Texas were to get Turner.  

Edited by Mdhorn

40 minutes ago, AndThenIWentToTexas said:

Damn my HS self would NOT have wanted to tackle this dude coming out of the backfield with a head of steam.

Take Regis and Iwunnah. If you get Turner too then that's a bingo, but you can't be holding the bag if/when Turner goes to the SEC.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is that dude really 300 lbs? Not that it matters, he's a freakish athlete for however big he is. We did ok with Chris Whaley and Henry Melton. He definitely fits the mold. 

My thoughts exactly. He has insanely good functional athleticism if he’s anywhere near that weight. His balance, change of direction and ability to keep power while getting low is elite. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is that dude really 300 lbs? Not that it matters, he's a freakish athlete for however big he is. We did ok with Chris Whaley and Henry Melton. He definitely fits the mold. 

I thought I read somewhere that he was 245 last season? Maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, quigley said:

Ricky's one-hitter and Bevo14 are providing good information on this topic. Please see their replies on this topic.

Using data at 16 years old to predict learning capacity/performance of adults is hard (impossible?: brain development continues into your mid-20's). SAT was designed to predict college performance. Even it's proponents only claimed correlation of 0.6. More so, it predicts access to better schools and test prep. It reinforces bias against disadvantaged groups regardless of race.

The data on SAT's poor performance leaves us with GPA, which is a test of organization and effort. It may be sufficient. There is mounting evidence that "grit" or resiliency is a better predictor of adult success than other measures of talent. Lots of people are trying to figure out how to measure and predict grit. 

The question isn’t whether high school gpa or SAT is the better predictor.  The question is whether high school gpa alone is better than gpa plus SAT.  

I would think having both would be a better predictor than just having one.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

The question isn’t whether high school gpa or SAT is the better predictor.  The question is whether high school gpa alone is better than gpa plus SAT.  

I would think having both would be a better predictor than just having one.  

I had this discussion with a close friend of mine regarding SAT/Standardized testing and student success regarding students in his programs. I think the part of this that people don’t really grasp is that if the testing does its job, ie is used to set a minimum floor or threshold for admittance, then you shouldn’t see statistical significance regarding standardized test scores and student success. That is because the threshold is doing its job. Those that would show the significance of the trend, the low scores with poor success at that university  level, would not have been admitted. The more interesting research is when you start looking at the provisional admits and those within the “danger zone” and seeing if the standardized tests are a valid predictor...

As far as standardized tests and are they a useful way to determine if a student can learn argument, let’s not forget that unless they get to the point that reading and mathematics are no longer required to complete a college degree, then the standardized test is also there to verify the minimal level of skills in those areas to be successful. Unfortunately due to the extreme variance of the education systems across the various parts of the country, GPA and other HS level data is even less meaningful than standard test data.

Lets not fool ourselves with the argument that the bias in standardized testing (language, examples, and complexity in narratives and term usage, etc) is not something that is fundamentally required to still be successful in a college classroom. Can a student be successful without proficiency in those areas before enrollment, of course. But I am not interested if any one student can survive based on this liability, but instead is that population’s likelihood of success less than any other student.

So the real question is what is worse, admitting a large subset of students knowing that the variance in student success will be much higher than others (and therefore a higher levels of former students that are stuck in a student debt trap) or use a system that is has a higher variance of predictive success at the detriment of certain populations. And to that I don’t have a reasonable answer because both sides have a valid point.

Do I like the idea that a standardized test scores is one of the end all be all’s tied to a student’s admittance to college, no.  Is there a better solution that won’t be tied to the same type of bias that already exists, not yet (and more than likely never).

So in the end we are just choosing between poor options and then trying to justify the position post hoc to limit public concerns.

• Like 5

He’s a really good football player and exceptional athlete at his size (245-255 in his clips, though I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he was 260+ there). It’s been reported that he’s 300 now — gaining 40+ pounds is pretty remarkable. I’d really like to have camp measurements on him and like to know if he’s retained his flexibility. His balance is his best trait, imho and it’s elite.

the question is what will his frame hold comfortably. if he can maintain 285+ and have that kind of balance and lateral quickness, he will be a disruptive force at DT. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

He’s a really good football player and exceptional athlete at his size (245-255 in his clips, though I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he was 260+ there). It’s been reported that he’s 300 now — gaining 40+ pounds is pretty remarkable. I’d really like to have camp measurements on him and like to know if he’s retained his flexibility. His balance is his best trait, imho and it’s elite.

the question is what will his frame hold comfortably. if he can maintain 285+ and have that kind of balance and lateral quickness, he will be a disruptive force at DT. 

He seems to have the frame for 290+ if he’s really 6’1 or close to it, and his ability to keep his leg drive while being getting way under his man is rare. He could be a monster, especially if paired with a force like Coburn or Collins who will demand double teams most plays. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Sounds like he was 260+ in those JR clips and ran an 11.53 100m — via Gabe brooks:: 

The La Porte (Texas) High School prospect and Minnesota pledge is one of the more intriguing defensive linemen in the 2021 class. Regis ascends to the four-star level and Top247 status with this week’s update thanks to his functional athleticism and how it projects to the defensive interior. The 6-foot-1 Regis played his junior year in the 260’s and is believed to be in the 290- to 295-pound range at this point. He wears it well, but what makes Regis unique is that he has predominantly played tight end for La Porte, where he was Texas District 21-6A Sophomore of the Year in 2018 before earning first-team all-district honors as a junior.

Regis has limited track and field numbers, but his 11.53-second 100-meter time from Spring 2019 is an encouraging number relative to his size and his projected position. That athleticism shows on the field in Regis’ run-after-catch ability and straight-line explosiveness for a big man. He possesses a lot of potential as a penetrating one-gap defensive lineman who will use his quickness and athleticism to make plays.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:13 PM, AndThenIWentToTexas said:

Damn my HS self would NOT have wanted to tackle this dude coming out of the backfield with a head of steam.

83 Lufkin had a pair of brothers at running back. One was listed at 250lbs. Put his helmet in my ear hole and cracked my helmet up to the crown. 1st concussion I knew I had. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:46 AM, SydneyCarton said:

For fuck’s sake, that post LITERALLY says Justin Wells name in it. Is there some sense of everything on IT just being Nahlin? Because if that’s going to stick I’m going to laugh my fucking ass off if folks just start referring to Ian Boyd’s garbage as “Nahlin’s new post.”

Settle down, Eric

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I wonder if Davis actually plays a position other than QB, if he gets re-evaluated and the accompanying BOMC ratings bump.

Davis’ journey to a .92 was stunted due to camp season. He would have gotten a bump in December if he didn’t have the worst edited hudl of all time. But, for a kid to give not a single flying fuck about a rating is commendable, at minimum.

There’s some film out there of 7v7 and some other receiver-y things, and he looks great in all of it. But, there’s not very much. No one really has any idea if he’s good or not. Elite frame, built like jordon thomas. Hands appear sticky. Who knows? I do like him, though. Mystery.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:32 PM, HtownHorn said:

Nah man, giving into stupid requests will only make things worse. I can agree with some of the stuff on the list, but most of it is just fucking retarded.

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I wonder if Davis actually plays a position other than QB, if he gets re-evaluated and the accompanying BOMC ratings bump.

Why do you still post in this thread after this terrible take? 

• Like 2