Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a little off.

No one knows exactly what the prequels are about, but GRRM said his title for the one that’s currently being casted would be the “Long Night,” meaning it’s about the last time the white walkers came south, which is thought to be 4,000 - 8,000 years ago and likely includes Bran the Builder becuase the Wall was built right after the Long Night.

So a whole series comprised of a black screen that we are assured is the best ever because it’s the longest battle sequence on film and shot at night when it’s a bit chilly? :troll face:

8 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

No argument.   Just a counter to all of the “it didn’t make sense” commentary.  It takes about an ounce of imagination and a minute of thought to make a bit of sense out of what happened in most of the “nonsensical” situations this season.   

I like the opportunity to fill in some of the gaps on my own.  I liked the finale and thought they did a fine job of tying together a sprawling narrative in this last season.  

There will be no positivity here

• Fuck You 1

Just watched the final episode. My take on the last few seasons: All the pieces were there and it could have been great but they fucked it up. Most annoying in the final episode was basically tearing down the fourth wall in the final cabinet scene. Felt like a internet joke. I kept expecting Elmo to pop up. Glad it's over.

"Man, but at least there’s comic relief here. Edmure Tully stands up to speak and everyone looks at him like they didn’t even know he was there till now. Dude hasn’t spoken since he was missing all his arrow shots trying to give his pops a proper Viking funeral several seasons ago. I ain’t mad that he really tried to shoot his shot though. Even if Sansa came through like Joel Embiid and smacked his shit off the backboard."

Finally watched the finale last night and that was a truly bizarre and awkward episode.  Tyrion's "first she came for the slavers..." speech was probably the highlight of the episode for its sheer awfulness.  As for Bran, the idea that the remaining six kingdoms would remain united behind such a powerless figurehead is farcical.  What's the point?  What is Bran going to do if a kingdom rebels?  He has no army, nothing.  It would have made far more sense if each of the kingdoms became independent.

35 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Finally watched the finale last night and that was a truly bizarre and awkward episode.  Tyrion's "first she came for the slavers..." speech was probably the highlight of the episode for its sheer awfulness.  As for Bran, the idea that the remaining six kingdoms would remain united behind such a powerless figurehead is farcical.  What's the point?  What is Bran going to do if a kingdom rebels?  He has no army, nothing.  It would have made far more sense if each of the kingdoms became independent.

Writers didn’t want to give American secessionists any ideas. 

The more I read articles and listen to podcasts the more I hate this show’s final season.

Summed up in one word: rushed.

Almost every major event or plot ending was wrapped up way too fast considering the time/suspense built up to get there.

I always wanted to like Jon Snow. But they made his character weak. The hero that never wanted to be shit. Can he get a statue at KL or something?

I should have know he wouldn’t be king when I saw him waiting in line at Minute Maid park a few weeks ago.

3184fc8f44a8b2412fd052d1a2f2e945.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Exactly my thoughts the entire time.

Plus, who GAF what the unsullied had to say, after Dany was dead?  They're not from Westeros.  Thanks for helping out with the Night King, but after you went and participated in the slaughter of an entire city of innocent people, your opinion is pretty much irrelevant.  Get on your boats and GTFO.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Exactly my thoughts the entire time.

Plus, who GAF what the unsullied had to say, after Dany was dead?  They're not from Westeros.  Thanks for helping out with the Night King, but after you went and participated in the slaughter of an entire city of innocent people, your opinion is pretty much irrelevant.  Get on your boats and GTFO.

No, no more fighting. Only debate and compromise from now on. Because NOW they all see what fighting has gotten them. 

Even the unsullied, who were bred to be emotionless fighting machines and who had busied themselves rounding up and executing anyone that drogon missed. Those guys came to understand the value of peaceful resolution, even over the guy that killed their queen. 

I mean why would those guys take up arms against Jon and any who back him?

29 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

The more I read articles and listen to podcasts the more I hate this show’s final season.

Summed up in one word: rushed.

Almost every major event or plot ending was wrapped up way too fast considering the time/suspense built up to get there.

I've been thinking about it and I think it came down to budgets...and shitty writing.  I heard the budget was $15-20 mil per episode and that's why we were down to 6 episodes in the final season- it was just too expensive to make more.  It's not like they got more money from ad revenue with more episodes.  Either you were an HBO subscriber or you weren't.  Whether they made 6, 8, or 10 episodes, they got the same subscriber revenue.  So they crammed 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag and it showed.

Season 7 should have been 2 10 episode seasons.  Season 8 should have been 2 10 episide seasons.  7a should have covered Dany coming back to Dragonstone, and her and Jon meeting and Jon eventually bending the knee.  7b should have covered the whole, the dead are coming and we have to convince EVERYONE to fight them.

8a should have been the battle with the Night King and its aftermath.  8b should have been the battle for King's Landing and its aftermath.

23 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

-The sudden prominence and complete control by the Sparrows in season 6 was ridiculous. Somehow the Lannisters become powerless against a group of 

Oops over deleted on accident, sorry.  That was shown but not explained very well and one of the reasons why Cersei should never be considered a mastermind. Tywin saw 3 or 4 steps ahead but Cersei only saw 1. She needed revenge/power and wasn’t smart enough to see the monster she would unleash in reinstating the sparrows.  If you get elephant walked in public while smeared in shit, by definition you can’t be a political mastermind. People at work saying she deserved the throne bc she played the game the best. The fuck?!

And come to think of it, I’d bet the sept blowing up is another plot twist GRRM told DD about. Not sure how else to get rid of all the clergy/wizards and let the story go forward.

20 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There are about 40 named characters in the first episode.  Only 9 of them survived to the last episode.  

Game of Thrones Original Gangsters

Season 1 episode 1 character list:

Dead:

Will (Season 1)

Jon Arynn (Season 1)

Robert Baratheon (Season 1)

Ned Stark (Season 1)

Viserys Targaryan (Season 1)

Lady (Season 1)

Septa Mordane (Season 1)

Jory Cassel (Season 1)

Khal Drogo (Season 1)

Maester Luwin (Season 2)

Rodrik Cassel (Season 2)

Whore Ros and her tits (Season 3)

Catlyn Stark (Season 3)

Robb Stark (Season 3)

Grey Wind (Season 3)

Joffrey Baratheon (Season 4)

Mrycella Baratheon (Season 5)

Rickon Stark (Season 6)

Summer (Season 6)

Shaggydog (Season 6)

Hodor (Season 6)

Tommen Baratheon (Season 6)

Benjen Stark ( Season 7)

Viserion (Season 7)

Jorah Mormont (Season 8 )

Theon Greyjoy (Season 8 )

Rhaegal (Season 8 )

Daenerys Targaryan (Seasons 8 )

The Hound (Season 8 )

Cersei Lannister (Season 8 )

Jaime Lannister (Season 8 )

Not Dead:

Drogon 

Arya Stark

Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryen)

Sansa Stark

Bran Stark

Ghost

Nymeria

Tyrion Lannister 

Illyrio Moptais

so it looks like the AI predictor wasn't much better than flipping coins. 

https://blog.datarobot.com/predicting-death-in-game-of-thrones

Daenerys Targaryen

83.77%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Culture =

'valyrian'

House (Text) = 'House Targaryen'

Jaime Lannister

72.91%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Gender =

'male'

Age =

'39.0'

Tyrion Lannister

70.76%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Gender =

'male'

Age =

'32.0'

Bran

Stark

66.02%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Culture = 'northmen'

Gender =

'male'

Cersei Lannister

60.39%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Gender =

'female'

Age =

'39.0'

Jon

Snow

58.99%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Gender =

'male'

Culture =

'northmen'

Euron

Greyjoy

54.95%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Culture = 'ironborn'

Gender =

'male'

Sansa

Stark

50.28%

Dead Relatives? = 'yes'

Gender =

'female'

Culture =

'northmen'

Someone above mentioned Lost... to me the last couple seasons and especially this abortion of a finale remind me of TWD. That show’s creator left after season 1 and it was painfully obvious. But AMC had a money maker so the show went on. I gave up several seasons ago on that one.
This one I was committed to because I binged seasons 1-6 a couple years ago and was committed.
I’d say this is apropos but I keep finagling HBO for free for some reason.

787667572aa9624043ccf92df9f449b2.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I don't think any kingdom is itching to rebel since they just finished a decade of war they'll need to depend on their neighbors while resources are scarce in Winter. Since (for some dumb reason) winter can last years in GOT there might be a pretty long period of peace. In that time, Bran can build up the royal army out of those who choose to re-settle King's landing. There is also something that can be said about a king who can't be lied to or tricked if he can spy in on all your other conversations. It would be hard to surprise him. 

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

Someone above mentioned Lost... to me the last couple seasons and especially this abortion of a finale remind me of TWD. That show’s creator left after season 1 and it was painfully obvious. But AMC had a money maker so the show went on. I gave up several seasons ago on that one.
This one I was committed to because I binged seasons 1-6 a couple years ago and was committed.
I’d say this is apropos but I keep finagling HBO for free for some reason.

787667572aa9624043ccf92df9f449b2.jpg

I dropped it after season 7, picked it back up for season 8, and will now drop it as soon as this promotion is done.  The added benefit was, I finally caught the last season of Silicon Valley, too.

And it's goodbye to HBO...

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Budget was not an issue.  HBO was trying to give them as many episodes as they wanted.  The showrunners just wanted out, also the actors were openly talking about leaving.

Hot Pie was big timing HBO, read that somewhere 

There was a lot to be disappointed about but Jon Snow ending up as a big giant pussy is up there as one of the most disappointing, along with Bran the boring ending up as king. I always thought Sansa would be the one to end Danerys and ascend to the throne and that would have been cool.

18 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

As far as WGAF what the unsullied had to say they were the only army occupying KL so they kind of had to listen to Greyworm at least a little.

That was my take, too.  Couldn't really tell him to go to hell when he had the army and Jon just shanked their queen.  

19 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

As far as WGAF what the unsullied had to say they were the only army occupying KL so they kind of had to listen to Greyworm at least a little.

30 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

That was my take, too.  Couldn't really tell him to go to hell when he had the army and Jon just shanked their queen.  

Pretty sure there was an army of northmen that was just fine with Jon Snow killing the invader from across the sea and consequently allowing them to declare independence from the Seven Kingdoms.

I'm sure nobody wanted open conflict between the North and the unsullied, but it doesn't mean you have to GAF what they say.  Just nod your head, smile, put them on their boats, and do whatever you wanted to anyway.

IMHO, being sent back to the Castle Black was a much welcomed out for Jon Snow.  He didn't want to rule the Six Kingdoms or the North.  He felt Sansa was prepared to be Queen of the North and knew it wouldn't have worked if he stuck around.  He had no intention of staying at Castle Black and no one cares anymore.  He wanted to get back to shagging wild women in caves beyond the wall.

• Like 1

Sorry if already posted.  Before the season started there was a spoiler on Reddit that proved to be about 75% correct.  The ending scene they told was way cooler than what we saw Sunday.  The spoiler last scene was when Jon and the wildlings were traveling north of the wall, they come upon a spiral of fresh body parts.

11 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Sorry if already posted.  Before the season started there was a spoiler on Reddit that proved to be about 75% correct.  The ending scene they told was way cooler than what we saw Sunday.  The spoiler last scene was when Jon and the wildlings were traveling north of the wall, they come upon a spiral of fresh body parts.

That would have been much better.   Relatedly, they should have had killing the Night King only destroy the wights he controlled, not the White Walkers, who were created by a different process.  In the battle against the dead at Winterfell, they should have had Jon, Brienne, Jorah, Jaime, etc. take on and kill White Walkers, which would have been a much better story for them during the battle than magically surviving hordes of zombies crawling all over them.  And then the implication at the end would be that there is still a group of Craster's undead kids growing up beyond the wall, who were not destroyed by the death of the NK. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 3

On 5/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, Guadaloopy said:

No argument.   Just a counter to all of the “it didn’t make sense” commentary.  It takes about an ounce of imagination and a minute of thought to make a bit of sense out of what happened in most of the “nonsensical” situations this season.   

I like the opportunity to fill in some of the gaps on my own.  I liked the finale and thought they did a fine job of tying together a sprawling narrative in this last season.  

by this logic, there are no bad movies or scripts, only incapable mental gymnastics and imagination. 

the script should stand on it's own.  if you are having to create shit out of thin air to explain away a bad movie, then it's a fucking bad movie.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Pretty sure there was an army of northmen that was just fine with Jon Snow killing the invader from across the sea and consequently allowing them to declare independence from the Seven Kingdoms.

I'm sure nobody wanted open conflict between the North and the unsullied, but it doesn't mean you have to GAF what they say.  Just nod your head, smile, put them on their boats, and do whatever you wanted to anyway.

Yeah I agree with hindsight.  I am operating under the assumption that no one knew the unsullied were just going to pack up shop 15 minutes later.  As far as what armies were there to defeat the unsullied it doesn't really matter if your goal is to have Jon live.  The unsullied were holding him prisoner even if you have overwhelming forces right outside they would still be able to execute Jon before being defeated.

43 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Yeah I'm totally good with that.  Maybe Ygritte has a sister.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

IMHO, being sent back to the Castle Black was a much welcomed out for Jon Snow.  He didn't want to rule the Six Kingdoms or the North.  He felt Sansa was prepared to be Queen of the North and knew it wouldn't have worked if he stuck around.  He had no intention of staying at Castle Black and no one cares anymore.  He wanted to get back to shagging wild women in caves beyond the wall.

basically the best outcome for him.  he doesnt give 3 fucks about politics and titles and positions.  the family member hes closest to (arya) is going backpacking overseas.  the other one is basically stephen hawking.  now he gets to hang out with his buds at castle black around where he first got his dick wet. 

i mean it couldnt have ended any better

basically the best outcome for him.  he doesnt give 3 fucks about politics and titles and positions.  the family member hes closest to (arya) is going backpacking overseas.  the other one is basically stephen hawking.  now he gets to hang out with his buds at castle black around where he first got his dick wet. 

i mean it couldnt have ended any better

You find it cool to hang around where you first got your dick wet?
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread