Pappa Don't Teach ...

woohorn

"The founder and former CEO of Papa John's allegedly used a racial slur during a May conference call on how to avoid unflattering public relations incidents, Forbes reported Wednesday.

John Schnatter, the company's chairman and public face, allegedly used the slur during an exercise on handling public relations for the company after he faced blowback for tying the NFL's national anthem protests to lower sales for Papa John's, according to the magazine.

Forbes reported that Schnatter used the slur after being asked how he would distance himself from racist groups, and tried to play down the impact of his statement on the anthem protests.

"Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s," Schnatter reportedly said on the call, adding the Sanders didn't face outcry for his statements.

The founder also reportedly said that when he was growing up in Indiana, people would drag black people from trucks until they died.

Schnatter meant the comments to show his opposition to racism, but others on the call found his statements offensive, according to Forbes.

The marketing agency who arranged the call, Laundry Service, cut ties with Papa John's after the statements, the publication reported.

Papa John's did not deny the incident in a statement to Forbes.

"Papa John's condemns racism and any insensitive language, no matter the situation or setting," the statement read. "We take great pride in the diversity of the Papa John's family, though diversity and inclusion is an area we will continue to strive to do better." "

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

"Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s," Schnatter reportedly said on the call, adding the Sanders didn't face outcry for his statements.

Not that it makes it right, John, but you might want to consider the fact that Col. Sanders died almost 40 years ago and was born more than 120 years ago.

• Like 1

why is this a story?
A: Funny as shit that 25% shareholder of public co used a racial slur during a May conference call on how to avoid unflattering public relations incidents.

A2: Funny as shit that opponent of NFL protests is exposed as such an open racist.

Wait a minute.... if I say "I think it's despicable that someone in the year 2018 would dare to say something as vulgar as calling someone a n*gger" (using the actual word), that's racist because I used the word in denouncing the use of the word?

I understand it's uncomfortable to hear, but one must consider context.  Frankly I'm not sure what his point was.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 2

Ah, you've discovered the Donald Trump loophole. Brilliant. "Other people have called those people n....".

He should be in trouble for using a racial slur during a conference call on how to avoid unflattering public relations incidents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Wait a minute.... if I say "I think it's despicable that someone in the year 2018 would dare to say something as vulgar as calling someone a n*gger" (using the actual word), that's racist because I used the word in denouncing the use of the word?

I understand it's uncomfortable to hear, but one must consider context.  Frankly I'm not sure what his point was.  

Yeah-wouldnt that make the article reporting it racist in the same sense? And this thread too?

Its still a monumentally stupid thing to say (and ironic in context), but the lede seems somewhat misleading.

Edited by formermav43

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not that it makes it right, John, but you might want to consider the fact that Col. Sanders died almost 40 years ago and was born more than 120 years ago.

We'll always have our memories. The Colonel's dead. Here we are still enjoying his chicken.

(Bonus points for anyone who gets this ref)

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

He resigned.

He resigned?  Over that?  Hol-ee fuck.  PC has fucking gone over the dam again.

Well, I guess I'll still not enjoy his pizza, which I have not enjoyed for years now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/business/papa-johns-racial-slur.html

He was already down in he count 0-2.  Don't come bitching to me that it was a foul tip.

Only good thing I ever heard involving Papa John's pizza was that years ago, a married friend, his wife, and a woman who rented a room from them used to always order Papa John's. This went on for a while.

Then once, when the wife was out of town, my friend and the woman who rented a room ordered more Papa John's, drank some booze, and did the Horizontal Bop, Hide Mr. Baby Leg, Humpty-Hump. etc.

The wife found out about it and was crushed. Somehow their marriage survived, but the betrayal wounded her. The other woman moved out, and they quit ordering Papa John's.

This story is depressing, sort of cold and greasy, the kind of story where you nibble at a crust, then put it back down and say "I thought this would be better, but I don't really want anymore."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Only good thing I ever heard involving Papa John's pizza was that years ago, a married friend, his wife, and a woman who rented a room from them used to always order Papa John's. This went on for a while.

Then once, when the wife was out of town, my friend and the woman who rented a room ordered more Papa John's, drank some booze, and did the Horizontal Bop, Hide Mr. Baby Leg, Humpty-Hump. etc.

The wife found out about it and was crushed. Somehow their marriage survived, but the betrayal wounded her. The other woman moved out, and they quit ordering Papa John's.

This story is depressing, sort of cold and greasy, the kind of story where you nibble at a crust, then put it back down and say "I thought this would be better, but I don't really want anymore."

You sure do have a purdy mouth.

I'll eat the shit when it's free.

Last time I paid $ for anything to do with Papa John's was back when they sponsored the Birmingham Bowl. Didn't buy pizza-- they ran out-- just paid some dude to park in his yard then we took our free tickets and watched Sakalina get dissected by Connecticut. Garcia and Spurrier kludged around, it was cold as Canada that day and the Huskies liked it.

Afterwards 50,000 crazy white people spilled out into the neighboring projects while the locals hid inside.

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hey, those who know: How does Papa John's compare to gas station pizza?

As I drive through rural Texas, I am always fascinated by Hunt Brothers Pizza.  It seems like it's a helluva business model.  I mean--I know the pizza is probably on par with old-school Pizza Classics.  But really--do the denizens of East Bernard know the difference?

• Like 1