Fire Chip Kelly

Michael Knight

Am I pleased with how things are going?  No.  But I have to have faith.  The alternative is just too depressing.

FWIW, UCLA opponents so far (26-3):

Cincinnati 6-0 ranked 25 
Oklahoma 5-1 ranked 11 
Fresno State 5-1 unranked 
Colorado 5-0 ranked 19 
Washington 5-1 ranked 7

As of 10/8/18

Also these teams have a combined +585 point differential.

I think we get a win on Saturday @ Cal.  

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Am I pleased with how things are going?  No.  But I have to have faith.  The alternative is just too depressing.

FWIW, UCLA opponents so far (26-3):

Cincinnati 6-0 ranked 25 
Oklahoma 5-1 ranked 11 
Fresno State 5-1 unranked 
Colorado 5-0 ranked 19 
Washington 5-1 ranked 7

As of 10/8/18

Also these teams have a combined +585 point differential.

I think we get a win on Saturday @ Cal.  

Bizarre that your SOS rating is so low given those records.  Are these teams just beating up on bad teams? 

8 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

Whats the name of the coordinator who became coach at Oregon after Chip left? I think it was Helfrich? He may have been the brains of the operation all along. I think he was doing color commentary on some cable channel last season.

If you saw him on some cable channel a year ago, that pokes a hole in your “brains of the operation” theory.

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Keep your chin up.  We've been there.  "Blind faith" is how I tolerated year 2 and 3 of Charlie Strong football.  I hope your version ends up better than ours did.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/24/uclas-budget-whammy-the-bruins-are-bleeding-cash-and-require-a-bailout-from-campus/

The Bruins spent $997,000 on meals in FY17 under Mora. In the first full year under Kelly (FY19), they spent $5.4 million.

what in the fuck are they eating?

$5.4 million / 365 = $14800 a damn day / 120 players = $123 per player / 3 meals = $41 dollars per meal per player per day

under Mora it was $22 dollars a day or $7 per meal

35 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/24/uclas-budget-whammy-the-bruins-are-bleeding-cash-and-require-a-bailout-from-campus/

The Bruins spent $997,000 on meals in FY17 under Mora. In the first full year under Kelly (FY19), they spent $5.4 million.

$5.4 million / 365 = $14800 a damn day / 120 players = $123 per player / 3 meals = $41 dollars per meal per player per day

DoorDash delivery fee

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

Mora made sure the athletes were the only ones in the dinning hall after the restrictions were lifted in 2014 (no longer just 3 meals). Chip allows the athletes to take food out to the dorm for all their buddies. Maybe it is a source of income?

He's big on sports nutrition, and specific diets. Not sure $5.4MM worth though.

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Doesn't sound too crazy especially if nutritionists salaries are mixed into that number. 

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

I wonder what we spend on this stuff?

the google is your friend

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/ncaa-student-athlete-dining/

1. University of Arkansas: $3.5 million
2. Ohio State University: $3.1 million
3. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: $2.8 million
4. University of Iowa: $2.8 million
5. Texas A&M University, College Station: $2.7 million
6. University of Texas, Austin: $2.6 million
7. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities: $2.5 million
8. University of Kansas: $2.2 million
9. University of Tennessee, Knoxville: $1.9 million
10. University of Washington, Seattle: $1.9 million
11. University of Georgia: $1.7 million
12. University of Oklahoma, Norman: $1.7 million
13. University of Maryland, College Park: $1.7 million
14. Auburn University: $1.5 million
15. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign: $1.5 million
16. Pennsylvania State University: $1.4 million
17. Virginia Tech: $1.4 million
18. University of Louisville: $1.4 million
19. University of Oregon: $1.3 million
20. Indiana University, Bloomington: $1.3 million

that is for ALL athletes though

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, ButtFumble said:

the google is your friend

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/ncaa-student-athlete-dining/

1. University of Arkansas: $3.5 million
2. Ohio State University: $3.1 million
3. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: $2.8 million
4. University of Iowa: $2.8 million
5. Texas A&M University, College Station: $2.7 million
6. University of Texas, Austin: $2.6 million
7. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities: $2.5 million
8. University of Kansas: $2.2 million
9. University of Tennessee, Knoxville: $1.9 million
10. University of Washington, Seattle: $1.9 million
11. University of Georgia: $1.7 million
12. University of Oklahoma, Norman: $1.7 million
13. University of Maryland, College Park: $1.7 million
14. Auburn University: $1.5 million
15. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign: $1.5 million
16. Pennsylvania State University: $1.4 million
17. Virginia Tech: $1.4 million
18. University of Louisville: $1.4 million
19. University of Oregon: $1.3 million
20. Indiana University, Bloomington: $1.3 million

that is for ALL athletes though

Do the aggy equestrian team girls really eat that much?

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

No where in any of this does it say they don’t trust Kelly.  And he’s trying to implement the requests.  Kinda sensationalist.

I for one am shocked that such a fine paper that is the LA times would ever sensationalize or slant anything

The shit paper LA times is basically the CR of all papers and their journalist are CR regulars 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

Under Armour has informed University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) that it wants to terminate a $280 million deal that it signed with the school in 2016, the Los Angeles Times reported on Saturday.

“We are exploring all of our options to resist Under Armour’s actions and will share more information as we can. We want to reassure you that UCLA Athletics remains committed to providing our hard-working staff and student-athletes with the footwear, apparel and equipment needed to train and compete at the highest level,” the report said, citing a letter by Dan Guerrero, the school’s outgoing athletic director.

DMDI9UbW0AEcJE-.jpg

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Video of DTR throwing this summer.  OBJ shows up on day 5.  Unreal casual one-handed catch around the 6:40 mark.  Then Dwayne Haskins showed up.  Brady used to (still does I think) show up quite often.  DTR looks like he's start to develop more of a man body.  Maybe this is the year he breaks through?  Oh wait, there won't be a season, and then he'll leave early and have his breakout in the NFL.  That would be our program in a nutshell.

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Chip Kelly realy is a POS.  California's hightest-paid employee and he "quiet quit" on his job.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2024-03-05/analysis-chip-kelly-didnt-want-to-coach-ucla

Wow, that writer comes off as a whiny bitch. I hate to see Kelly leave ucla for obvious reasons, but the guy realized he didn’t want to be a Head Coach anymore. Playing the “poor assistants out of a job” card is pretty disingenuous. Had he been fired, they would still be out of a job.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

Wow, that writer comes off as a whiny bitch. I hate to see Kelly leave ucla for obvious reasons, but the guy realized he didn’t want to be a Head Coach anymore. Playing the “poor assistants out of a job” card is pretty disingenuous. Had he been fired, they would still be out of a job.

The guy could have resigned at any time to go do something different. He stayed because he didn't want to leave a $6m/year job. The timing of when he left really put UCLA in a shit situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

He does clearly state the issue in the article - had he left earlier, his former coaching staff would have had the opportunity to search for jobs during a window where there were plenty of openings. This article does not lay enough blame on the UCLA athletic department for its role in this clown show, but Chip Kelly behaved like a narcissistic dirtbag just as he did for his whole tenure.