Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

34 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

That hillbilly heroin farmer does a great Scottish accent.  

Not sure if serious...he is Scottish. 

At the end, when young William is showing Delores something (possibly "the weapon"), he looks out and repeats the line that Delores had been saying all episode about the world and splendor. Which if I didn't know William got old, I would be suspicious he was one of the orignial hosts sent out in the world to get in deep with the Rich Family, marry their daughter, convince the Patriarch to invest in the park. 

18 minutes ago, George said:

So what I dont get...or have missed...if Bernard is Arnold (in looks), how is it that no one recognized that he was whacked in the park then came back to life?

I think the only person who knows he was whacked in the park was Robert. They were still in the testing phase if I remember correctly. And Robert said he scrubbed all the data of the incident. So no one knows he was whacked in the park. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Not sure if serious...he is Scottish. 

At the end, when young William is showing Delores something (possibly "the weapon"), he looks out and repeats the line that Delores had been saying all episode about the world and splendor. Which if I didn't know William got old, I would be suspicious he was one of the orignial hosts sent out in the world to get in deep with the Rich Family, marry their daughter, convince the Patriarch to invest in the park. 

not serious

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I think the only person who knows he was whacked in the park was Robert. They were still in the testing phase if I remember correctly. And Robert said he scrubbed all the data of the incident. So no one knows he was whacked in the park. 

They still would notice he hasn't aged at all.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

As much as I love this show, it's one of the things that always bothered me a little bit. They did say that in season 1, but it's hard to believe that absolutely no one other than Ford himself knew who the original co-creator of the park was. Given the magnitude of what they were doing, there would've been a lot of public interest in it. Also, Arnold had a wife who would've presumably triggered a missing person report or murder investigation upon his disappearance.

When Ford later created Bernard, he could've given him all of Arnold's mental attributes without giving him an identical physical appearance, so as to avoid any chance of someone making the connection. That was done purely for storytelling purposes to trick the viewers for 6-7 episodes and then have an Aha moment when the Arnold/Bernard reveal occurred.

Not a huge deal for me, but it never made a lot of sense.

15 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

As much as I love this show, it's one of the things that always bothered me a little bit. They did say that in season 1, but it's hard to believe that absolutely no one other than Ford himself knew who the original co-creator of the park was. Given the magnitude of what they were doing, there would've been a lot of public interest in it. Also, Arnold had a wife who would've presumably triggered a missing person report or murder investigation upon his disappearance.

When Ford later created Bernard, he could've given him all of Arnold's mental attributes without giving him an identical physical appearance, so as to avoid any chance of someone making the connection. That was done purely for storytelling purposes to trick the viewers for 6-7 episodes and then have an Aha moment when the Arnold/Bernard reveal occurred.

Not a huge deal for me, but it never made a lot of sense.

It doesn't bother me that much.

They did cover the no one knowing Arnold with Ford's line "when the legend become fact, print the legend" or whatever it was in Season 1. So that is why the public doesn't know about Arnold.

Also, they covered the lack of public interest in Arnold angle in this past episode - even Logan had no idea that the hosts were that advanced, and that is after they had already "lived in the park for 2 years" - there was no public interest in the park before it opened, because they kept it secret, and after it was made public the story was that it was all Ford. 

And a NDA signed by the wife when she got a payout on life insurance for Arnold's share in the company would keep her quiet. 

Finally, Ford didn't create Bernard right away. It is never said how many years later - it is just a visibly aged Ford who is the first thing Bernard saw - but it was far enough in the future that Bernard was "printed" and not mechanical like the early Hosts - so likely 20 or so years later, if not more. It's never said how long Bernard had been working at the park in Season 1. So even the original other engineers who worked in the park for those first 2 years could conceivably all be gone by then - and I'm sure Ford wouldn't have made Bernard if there was anyone around who remembered Arnold. 

But yeah, it was done for storytelling purposes, and it worked out pretty well in Season 1 - and now it's working out well in Season 2 to be clear signal as to when certain scenes occur. 

Edited by hornian

I liked that the episode showed more of the back story and also emphasizes all the bad shit that Delores remembers.

If Delores, Angela, Maeve and presumably Armistice and Hector are all "aware" and remember shit, what the fuck is wrong with Teddy? I look forward to him dying again, but I'm tired of him being a dumbass and not knowing the plan.

What city were we seeing in this episode, Taipan...Hong Kong...Shanghai? I assume it's on that side of the world since the island is over in that area.

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'm not feeling especially creative right now and will guess the terraforming machines and their ability to fuck shit up. Set those loose on a city and watch the world burn, but that seems too obvious.

Note that when young William took Delores, after his S1 escapades with her, from the labs, he showed her the terraforming machines they had at that point and used her line about "have you ever seen anything so glorious?" He probably started with those cruder machines and built something much more powerful.

I also had the idea that the weapon was a data storage facility with all the footage of the guests doing things they did not want to be publicly known. Get to that and release it upon the public, ruin many people and start a revolution amongst the humans. Recall that it was William's idea to collect all that, supposedly to use in back room deals.

Edited by bamachine

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Obviously William went through some serious changes over the years, but I have a hard time seeing young William and Ed Harris as the same person.

The difference between Young William in season 1 and 2 is pretty severe.  Not sure it was handled that well right now.

3 hours ago, RTF Horn said:

I liked that the episode showed more of the back story and also emphasizes all the bad shit that Delores remembers.

If Delores, Angela, Maeve and presumably Armistice and Hector are all "aware" and remember shit, what the fuck is wrong with Teddy? I look forward to him dying again, but I'm tired of him being a dumbass and not knowing the plan.

What city were we seeing in this episode, Taipan...Hong Kong...Shanghai? I assume it's on that side of the world since the island is over in that area.

The last city scene looked like it had the downtown LA Westin in the background.  So I went with LA. 

2 hours ago, bamachine said:

I also had the idea that the weapon was a data storage facility with all the footage of the guests doing things they did not want to be publicly known. Get to that and release it upon the public, ruin many people and start a revolution amongst the humans. Recall that it was William's idea to collect all that, supposedly to use in back room deals.

This was my thought as well while watching the episode.  The best weapon is data. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

When did they talk about filming and extorting guests? I missed that. 

Well, they kind of hinted at it Season 1, when Ford was able to know anything that was said if there was a host around.

Then in the first Episode this season, Bernard sees the drone hosts cataloguing Hosts memories of their encounters with guests, and the drone hosts taking DNA samples from the hosts to confirm which guests had "interacted" withe the hosts. 

And in the most recent episode, Young William tells his father-in-law to be that they will be able to find out what their guest really want when no one is watching, and Old William (Man in Black) tells Lawrence "They wanted a place to sin where no one was watching, but we saw it all" or something to that effect. 

Edit: Here's William's quote from S2E2 convincing his FIL to invest "Half of your marketing budget goes to figuring out what people want, because they don't know. But here, they're free. Nobody's watching, nobody's judging. At least that's what we tell them. This is only place in the world where we get to see people for who they really are. And if you don't see the business in that, then you're not the businessman that I thought you were."

Edited by hornian

5 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The last city scene looked like it had the downtown LA Westin in the background.  So I went with LA. 

If you're implying the scene was filmed in LA, maybe. But show wise it definitely was in China.

9 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

something I'm curious about is how they are "resurrecting" the wounded hosts with a few simple swipes of the tablet. why are they not having to rebuild any of them?

My interpretation is the hosts are fatally wounded according to traditional Westworld park rules and their software code, but from a hardware standpoint they are still functional. Repairs would mainly be cosmetic, which Dolores doesn’t care about for the sake of her army.

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

My interpretation is the hosts are fatally wounded according to traditional Westworld park rules and their software code, but from a hardware standpoint they are still functional. Repairs would mainly be cosmetic, which Dolores doesn’t care about for the sake of her army.

Yeah, I get that but why show us Bernard "leaking" if loss of fluids isn't an issue

8 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Yeah, I get that but why show us Bernard "leaking" if loss of fluids isn't an issue

When Bernard shot himself, the bullet grazed his cortex and created a leak in the host spinal fluid. I’m assuming headshots in the park are a fairly regular occurrence and it would typically require a significant repair process or reprinting the host entirely from scratch. In Bernard’s case, it’s unlikely that either of these were possible due to time and discretion, so he got a quick fix from Felix that didn’t entirely solve his problem.

On the subject of reprinting hosts, I’m kinda surprised they didn’t have backups of each host ready to plug in. Hosts like Teddy, Maeve, and Dolores are icons for the park. If Maeve gets killed, seems like they would want to have a backup Maeve 2 immediately fill the void while Maeve 1 is getting repairs.

Edited by wild_turkey

8 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

When Bernard shot himself, the bullet grazed his cortex and created a leak in the host spinal fluid. I’m assuming headshots in the park are a fairly regular occurrence and it would typically require a significant repair process or reprinting the host entirely from scratch. In Bernard’s case, it’s unlikely that either of these were possible due to time and discretion, so he got a quick fix from Felix that didn’t entirely solve his problem.

On the subject of reprinting hosts, I’m kinda surprised they didn’t have backups of each host ready to plug in. Hosts like Teddy, Maeve, and Dolores are icons for the park. If Maeve gets killed, seems like they would want to have a backup Maeve 2 immediately fill the void while Maeve 1 is getting repairs.

Yep. Agreed. 

I don't remember if they ever acknowledged how long a typical guest"s "stay in the park" went on or if they overlapped other guests storylines. If not then that would allow them the time to reset the stage after and do the needed repairs between "showtimes"

19 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Good point. But for all we know there are multiple copies of every host. Maybe it just hasn’t been shown yet. 

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

All this talk and no pics of Delores in the black dress? You are all GAY!.

ERW looks a little different this season, a little harder around the edges. Dunno if she’s just aging or hitting the gym or what. 

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Random tigers finding their way into the park?  Feeling a little LOST.

Not exactly random. There is more than one setting at this park. There is an Asian setting that we have not seen. Probably set in the Ming Dynasty. Tigers are found in China. They mentioned the borders, that were supposed to keep the different areas separate, seem to be failing.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Maybe he's a new kind of host more akin to a cyborg than the other hosts. It would explain the DNA thing.

6 hours ago, bamachine said:

Not exactly random. There is more than one setting at this park. There is an Asian setting that we have not seen. Probably set in the Ming Dynasty. Tigers are found in China. They mentioned the borders, that were supposed to keep the different areas separate, seem to be failing.

When they found that dead tiger on the shore of the lake, Stubbs says, “We have Bengals in Park 6, we’ve never had a stray cross park borders.” Probably a foreshadowing of Shogun World.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

When they found that dead tiger on the shore of the lake, Stubbs says, “We have Bengals in Park 6, we’ve never had a stray cross park borders.” Probably a foreshadowing of Shogun World.

Not a lot of Bengal tigers in Japan.

14 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I think that we're to believe that the character attributes and "stock behaviors" are easily swapped from host to host, so the same plot elements can be performed (to greater or lesser effect) independent of whichever host is available. 

In Season 1, when Maeve was in the shop, they promoted "quite a rind on ya" whore to Madam for a spell, and I think there was a quick throwaway comment about how her specific attributes were less effective in a managerial role than Maeve was. 

4 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I think that we're to believe that the character attributes and "stock behaviors" are easily swapped from host to host, so the same plot elements can be performed (to greater or lesser effect) independent of whichever host is available. 

In Season 1, when Maeve was in the shop, they promoted "quite a rind on ya" whore to Madam for a spell, and I think there was a quick throwaway comment about how her specific attributes were less effective in a managerial role than Maeve was. 

the thread last season assumed the loops were about a week to a month and the hosts that were killed were held out until the next cycle for continuity purposes. 

Also correct with the role swapping, as seen by the whore from Maeve's shop (brunette--> blonde etc)

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Not a lot of Bengal tigers in Japan.

Bolverk already admitted his faux pas, but his initial point is valid.  One can assume that "Park 6" is a theme where Bengal tigers would not be out of place.  One could also infer that if the tigers can cross park boundaries, so can hosts/creatures from other parks, including Shogun World. 

On 4/30/2018 at 7:28 PM, bschoolprof said:

Would this show even be that hard to follow without all the time hopping/non-linearity?

I remember Ebert once writing that Memento, when watched chronologically rather than in reverse, was a rather mundane crime movie.  

Don't believe his lies

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

If I went to west world I wouldn’t care about any of the story lines , I would just bang the robot chicks the entire time. Which makes me wonder, is that considered cheating if they aren’t real?

In season 1, Logan said something like “I didn’t pay $40k per day to jerk off alone”. Makes sense, but then when you think about it, $40k per day is a ton of money if your only goal is to get laid. I’d save that for the real world.