Austin Water Issues Boil Water Notice

3adays

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This would be a good time my friends to remind you that we are at all time 72 hours away from total societal collapse. Have a good evening. 

72 hours?  My, my, you are quite the optimist.

This morning at the park with my kid, some of the parents were huddled up and talking about it, and were clearly scared.  

A quick survey showed that none of them had Topo Chico or coconut water dispensers in their fridges, which was surprising.  None of them even had Ozarka dispensers in any of their pantries or cellars.

I asked them "well, didn't you have your man-servants or servant-girls start boiling water as soon as news got out?"

They looked at me in bewilderment.

Then it dawned on me.  They didn't even know how to boil water, so how the hell are they going to instruct their servants?

I did a quick survey, and most of them were familiar with Koyo Ramen.  I told them to have their servants get some Koyo Ramen out of one of their pantries, or head over to Central Market or Whole Foods and pick some up.  Told them to follow the directions, with just a few simple changes - double up on the water it calls for, and when it says to add the ramen, skip adding the ramen, and instead cook the water for 3-5 minutes.  When they were done, skip adding the flavoring, and they would be left with boiled water, and to just let it cool.

I probably saved quite a few lives. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

No reason they shouldn't increase price on increased demand. There isn't a shortage, so it isn't gouging IMO. Water is plentifully available, and no reason why someone shouldn't pay more if they aren't willing to spend 3 minutes to boil the water, JFC.
This. Doing that shit during a true disaster is shitty. Doing it now is a stupid tax.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I wonder what percentage of the population could handle any real emergent situation. One that you can’t Google, call customer service or go to HEB to stay alive or safe.

Thank God Austin has its own homegrown disaster scientist to take command if necessary.

Sent my email

On behalf of the City of Austin and Austin Water, we would like to provide the following information.

City-wide boil water notice and emergency water use restrictions issued

Austin Water has issued a city-wide boil water notice for all customers of Austin Water. The notice is being issued as the utility works to stabilize the water treatment system.

In addition to the boil notice, emergency water use restrictions are in place that limit outdoor water use.

There is an urgent need for customers to reduce water use. Austin Water treatment plants can currently produce approximately 105 million gallons of water per day. Current customer use is about 120 million gallons per day. Water reservoir levels are reaching minimal levels. Immediate action is needed to avoid running out of water. This is an emergency situation. All residents are asked to reduce their personal consumption by 15-20 percent.

What can customers do?

Reduce water use as much as possible to ensure adequate supply is available for basic needs, fire protection, public health and safety.

Boil water intended for consumption. To ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, water for drinking, cooking and for making ice should be boiled and cooled prior to consumption. The water should be brought to a vigorous, rolling boil for three minutes. In lieu of boiling water, you may use bottled water.

Businesses should not use drinking fountains or soda fountains that rely on tap water.

During this period of emergency restrictions and until further notice, all outdoor water use is prohibited. Customers may not:

Use water for irrigation or testing of irrigation equipment

Wash vehicles, including at commercial car wash facilities

Wash pavement or other surfaces

Add water to a pool or spa

Conduct foundation watering, or

Operate an ornamental fountain or pond, other than aeration necessary to support aquatic life 

Violations of these restrictions should be reported to Austin 3-1-1. Austin Water appreciates your support in reducing water use to help stabilize Austin’s water treatment plants.

The Austin-Travis County Emergency Operations Center will remain active through the remainder of this situation and will be providing updates as conditions change.

You may also receive text or email notifications from the City of Austin and the Capital Area Council of Governments asking you to conserve and boil water.

For more information visit www.austintexas.gov/boilH2O.
[https://ci3]This email was sent by: Austin Energy 
721 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX, 78704 US 

Privacy Policy 

Update Profile       Manage Subscriptions      Unsubscribe

the idiocy shown on my neighborhood page is without compare.

Captain Uselessly Helpful here fucking tells everyone to go get water from the watermill.

43692169380_cbd9ea059a.jpg

.....   question dumbass, where the FUCK is the watermill getting their water???? oh yeah, from the fucking city water..... but hey, despite the city telling everyone that filtered water doesnt keep away the bacteria (if there is any),  lets completely and uselessly suggest that to the neighborhood board so we can sound like WE ARE IN CONTROL OF OUR LIVES HERE- NO NEED TO PANIC,  WE NEED WATER!!!!!!!!

and the very first reply calls his dumbass out on it, and he doubles down the stupidity by telling everyone that city water sucks. 

This exchange catches Austin White Panic in a perfect capsule.    say stupid shit, get called out on it, and then double down on the dumbass.

So there’s really nothing wrong with the water right now that requires boiling, they just can’t treat it fast enough due to the amount of silts in it, so we’re running low, but they decided that lying about it was better than telling the truth and requesting that people cut back? Am I seeing this right?

As far as I’ve heard, there still hasn’t been a single test showing contaminants.

9 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

So there’s really nothing wrong with the water right now that requires boiling, they just can’t treat it fast enough due to the amount of silts in it, so we’re running low, but they decided that lying about it was better than telling the truth and requesting that people cut back? Am I seeing this right?

As far as I’ve heard, there still hasn’t been a single test showing contaminants.

There's two things happening:

1. If there is too much turbidity in the water supply, the normal amount of treatment isn't guaranteed to make safer drinking water, so they have to treat it more. More treatment = less output.
  2. If the water pressure gets too low, contaminants can get into the water supply after treatment

They kind of build on each other - the turbidity in our water supply (essentially, the silt from flooding) is reducing the amount of treated water, and the reduced amount of treated water is leading to lower water pressure. The boiling water thing is a "better safe than sorry" thing right now, and it's also mandated by TCEQ when certain levels are reached. 

Source: wife used to work at TCEQ in drinking water. 

• Like 3

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/what-went-wrong-at-austin-s-water-treatment-plants/1542832109?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_KXAN_News

While the city hasn’t failed any tests yet, water officials worry they soon won’t be able to meet the federal standard of a 0.3 turbidity reading in 95% of tests over the course of a month, hence the boil water notice. 

Whole article worth a read if you want technical stuff. 

Again from KXAN

10:55 p.m. — Update from the City of Austin

The City of Austin said in an evening press release, all residents are asked to reduce their personal consumption by 15-20 percent. They state that all outdoor water use in the city of Austin is prohibited.

According to the press release, violations of the water restrictions should be reported to Austin 311.

——————

If city officials are putting out press releases this late in the evening, something feels really odd. 

Where’s that other shoe at.