Texas transfer portal talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

44 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m sorry but this is a really stupid move on Jackson’s part.  Herman’s offense suited him to a T.  Dykes’ doesn’t.  At all.  He was sold a bill of goods by Samples.  That guy should feel bad for fucking that kid’s career up.  

You say that like Herman’s offense is going to be here past 2021. He saw the writing on the wall. Gtfo and get to a place where they can develop you into a better player. Generally speaking, we don’t do that. 

50 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m sorry but this is a really stupid move on Jackson’s part.  Herman’s offense suited him to a T.  Dykes’ doesn’t.  At all.  He was sold a bill of goods by Samples.  That guy should feel bad for fucking that kid’s career up.  

45 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

To go to an air raid team?   Yes it is.  Really stupid.  

SMU doesn't have some established offensive identity like you think it does - and even then, we pass/run at a 50/50 split which is just below Texas' ratio. It isn't Texas Tech. Shane ran plenty of designed runs this season or had scramble opportunities on broken plays. Lashlee got poached after last season and Riley's dumbass brother is already showing that he's probably not the answer. Dykes will work with whatever he's given.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

SMU doesn't have some established offensive identity like you think it does - and even then, we pass/run at a 50/50 split which is just below Texas' ratio. It isn't Texas Tech. Shane ran plenty of designed runs this season or had scramble opportunities on broken plays. Lashlee got poached after last season and Riley's dumbass brother is already showing that he's probably not the answer. Dykes will work with whatever he's given.

This season Buechele had 58 for 105.  Last season he had 64 for 105.  The year before that Ben Hicks had negative yards.  I don’t see it.  If it works out for JQJ then good for him and I was dead wrong.  

36 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Card may actually be better than Jackson. But no one should trust this staff to do a proper player evaluation. Or drink the practice koolaid, anymore.

How can anyone who has watched the personnel decisions of this staff say Card's development over Jackson is why he is leaving? First of all, they don't develop offensive players worth a lick. Second, how many terrible personnel decisions were made just this year alone(wiley,etc)? Add in the pitiful play calling, and the boneheaded decisions don't put the players in a position to succeed. So even if he stayed to spring, it doesn't guarantee that he will get the necessary help to maximize his talents. 

If Jackson can't even get the proper teaching to develop. Why waste anymore time with a staff of idiots? Go somewhere, he can get a legitimate chance to be the player he wants to be. Then, if it doesn't work out, you go from there. 

I have no problem with any young player not wanting to trust this group of idiots with their future. Especially after seeing the circus first hand. 

The offense is going to be a shit show next year. Bijan I guess is our only hope. We will be lucky to average 23 ppg.

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This season Buechele had 58 for 105.  Last season he had 64 for 105.  The year before that Ben Hicks had negative yards.  I don’t see it.  If it works out for JQJ then good for him and I was dead wrong.  

Right, but Shane isn't a dual threat. Sam this year had 100 and change for like 350. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right, but Shane isn't a dual threat. Sam this year had 100 and change for like 350. 

The year before he had 580.  JQJ was made for this offense.  He would be deadly in it.  If Herman gets fired then he could go some other place where he fits.  Seems rash and not based on long term thinking.  

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

The year before he had 580.  JQJ was made for this offense.  He would be deadly in it.  If Herman gets fired then he could go some other place where he fits.  Seems rash and not based on long term thinking.  

Are you assuming Herman stays? Again, I don't think SMU has some developed identity like you think it does. We're a G5 program trying to rebuild. We'll play the cards we're dealt.

Here's another thought: maybe he isn't looking to play QB. 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Herman’s offense doesn’t suit anyone. It’s sputtering, inconsistent, uncreative dogshit which requires guys like Sam and Greg Ward to bail out Mensa’s shit system and shit play calling. Herman can’t sell the future anymore, and his “please save me from going 4-8” offense has been laid bare for any QB recruit to see.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Card may actually be better than Jackson. But no one should trust this staff to do a proper player evaluation. Or drink the practice koolaid, anymore.

How can anyone who has watched the personnel decisions of this staff say Card's development over Jackson is why he is leaving? First of all, they don't develop offensive players worth a lick. Second, how many terrible personnel decisions were made just this year alone(wiley,etc)? Add in the pitiful play calling, and the boneheaded decisions don't put the players in a position to succeed. So even if he stayed to spring, it doesn't guarantee that he will get the necessary help to maximize his talents. 

If Jackson can't even get the proper teaching to develop. Why waste anymore time with a staff of idiots? Go somewhere, he can get a legitimate chance to be the player he wants to be. Then, if it doesn't work out, you go from there. 

I have no problem with any young player not wanting to trust this group of idiots with their future. Especially after seeing the circus first hand. 

Had to come back to read - but this. The only way that this doesn't wind up being another indictment against Herman and our program in general is if Card winds up being really fucking good - like at least as good as Sam - and JQJ winds up disappointing and potentially washing out somewhere else. I just don't see that being likely.

This isn't a Kyle Porter or Cam Rising or Byron Vaughs situation - this is a top 75 overall prospect at the most important position on the field who never played a snap for us. The chance of it blowing up in our faces in a couple of years is way too high.

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yes because having no head coach right now would absolutely have prevented all this attrition. 

You keep acting like retaining Herman the past month has affected recruiting/transfers. It hasn’t. The issue is Herman failed and the timing of firing him doesn’t change it. There will always be attrition during a coaching transition. 

You are right. I cannot prove that having a guy with no support from the administration and, allegedly, looking for other jobs at our top job for months is bad. I just remember the last time we were in this situation and it was very bad. It seems intuitive to me that it is very bad. I would much rather have an interim in there instead of a lame duck.

But I cannot prove that, in fact, the situation might not be worse if we had had Ash as Interim Head Coach for a couple months.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Had to come back to read - but this. The only way that this doesn't wind up being another indictment against Herman and our program in general is if Card winds up being really fucking good - like at least as good as Sam - and JQJ winds up disappointing and potentially washing out somewhere else. I just don't see that being likely.

This isn't a Kyle Porter or Cam Rising or Byron Vaughs situation - this is a top 75 overall prospect at the most important position on the field who never played a snap for us. The chance of it blowing up in our faces in a couple of years is way too high.

JaQuinden Jackson at best would have been a more athletic Sam Ehlinger.

Ehlinger has limitations to his game. Half the sacks were his fault. Nothing against Sam. Great QB and a Leader. 

But Texas needs to take another step up at the QB position. Hudson Card could be that guy. 

A lot of it has to do with his quick release. His ability to deliver the ball quickly and accurately to the WRs. You combine that with the Running Game. The offense has a chance to be even more explosive next year. 

Nothing against JQJ. But he would have stuck us in that same box that Ehlinger did. 

Plus there are rumors that he didn't develop that much during the season. Difference between him and Ehlinger. Ehlinger forced himself to get better. 

Edited by TheWellofInformation

23 hours ago, TheWellofInformation said:

JaQuinden Jackson at best would have been a more athletic Sam Ehlinger.

Ehlinger has limitations to his game. Half the sacks were his fault. Nothing against Sam. Great QB and a Leader. 

But Texas needs to take another step up at the QB position. Hudson Card could be that guy. 

A lot of it has to do with his quick release. His ability to deliver the ball quickly and accurately to the WRs. You combine that with the Running Game. The offense has a chance to be even more explosive next year. 

Nothing against JQJ. But he would have stuck us in that same box that Ehlinger did. 

Plus there are rumors that he didn't develop that much during the season. Difference between him and Ehlinger. Ehlinger forced himself to get better. 

Sam is a great Longhorn.  He may be a great guy.  He's not a great QB.  He never has been, and he never will be.  "Pretty good" is his ceiling.  Tough kid?  Sure.  But not a great QB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Paul Wadington (Scipio) on EGAT implied that Jackson transfered because he did not want to be on a Tom Herman coached team.  He wasn't transferring because of Card or Thompson.

Good for that man. 

Who the hell would want be coached/managed by this cocksucker? 

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-1.gif

Edited by PDX_Horn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Paul Wadington (Scipio) on EGAT implied that Jackson transfered because he did not want to be on a Tom Herman coached team.  He wasn't transferring because of Card or Thompson.

I'm sure we'll see more of this in the coming months with guys losing confidence in Herman and concerned about lack of development.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Evidently all of the guys that signed yesterday.

Most of them will transfer, quit, or receive limited playing time. 

These guys probably won’t develop into NFL draft material if they can’t comprehend just how much this program is in disarray. 

Only an Urban or John Harbaugh can right this ship and bring in quality recruits that will buy in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PDX_Horn said:

Most of them will transfer, quit, or receive limited playing time. 

These guys probably won’t develop into NFL draft material if they can’t comprehend just how much this program is in disarray. 

Yes clearly what determines if somebody is NFL draft material is if they agree with us here on Surly as to the current state of our program.

I hear they recently added that question to the Wonderlic Test.

Edited by Valmy77

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I'm sure we'll see more of this in the coming months with guys losing confidence in Herman and concerned about lack of development.

I think we already saw plenty of it already with the 2022 recruiting class. I am just glad whatever relationships we were able to form held the 2021 class together, at least for now.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:11 PM, TexArcher said:

Well, that would make him the best QB we've had since Colt.

Yep. The evidently terrible Ehlinger was in the Heisman discussion and would still be if our games were managed worth of fuck. Just game management. You wouldn't even have to improve the OL. Just kick field goals when you have the opportunity and keep running a successful offense instead of trying to run out the clock starting in the third quarter.

Our imperfections at QB are not holding us back. The quality of our QB is a high point for the team. He surely got us the win in OT against fucking Texas Tech. Give him credit for all the other wins in shit fights against inferior teams that we should have run away from.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1