Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

30 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

If he is signing with USC, I don't see how he keeps it under wraps for the Jan. 5th AA game.

USC Spring semester starts on Jan. 7th (dorms open on the 3rd). He would have to fly home, pack, and move to campus on the same day he is supposed to be starting classes. If he is going to USC< my guess is we find out on the 3rd.

Texas doesn't begin until the 22nd.

Edited by pacman

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

If he is signing with USC, I don't see how he keeps it under wraps for the Jan. 5th AA game.

USC Spring semester starts on Jan. 7th (dorms open on the 3rd). He would have to fly home, pack, and move to campus on the same day he is supposed to be starting classes. If he is going to USC< my guess is we find out on the 3rd.

He lives there.  He could sleep at home and drive to class every morning.  I don't think 'moving into the dorms' is going to be a big deal.

• Like 2

Some unexpected good news on this thread. I didn't know McCoy was still in play and that Hookfin is looking like he's leaning Texas. Last I checked, I thought they were both gone.

That Baylor thread memorializes their delusions about who they are. The idea of Texas desperately lying about Baylor to snatch a player is absurd. You don't have to lie about Baylor; it's a shit pit run by villains who don't care if girls who have a beer and go to a party get raped or gang raped. I shouldn't say that they don't care, their history is to punish the victims if they seek help from Baylor. Never forget that.

Their new coach is doing good work and hopefully has killed the football culture (like bacteria is a culture) that Briles created while conforming to the school's attitude towards women and the crimes against them.

Because they are nobody, Baylor's crimes are fading as a news story. In the last month or so, a frat boy (president of the frat! A real go getter!) got no jail for drugging and raping a fellow student and leaving her unconscious in the mud. We ought to nuke the whole county from space.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, fellside said:

I'm just going to piece together a Bru McCoy conspiracy theory real quick.

1. DeGabriel Floyd's tweets suggested he had confidence Texas was landing someone else and he's been recruiting Bru hard.

2. There are reports that Bru favors Texas, but USC is more comfortable because of the location and people he knows.

3. Tom Herman said that he expected to land 1 or 2 more LOI's THIS signing period.

4. Bru apparently is sending his LOI this signing period.

Conclusion:  Bru is already in

I like your theory but seeing how everything else has gone. I'm saying he's USC til he's not 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Agree with this, don't forget it was Danny Young that iced the Tulsa game when he trucked that safety and ripped off a 40 yard run. The guy is an average back who has a well rounded skill set, but an average back running against an above average line can still be effective, see Katy. 

And didn’t he fumble late against Iowa State?

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
What is the '3rd party report' they are all referring to?

It's a fancy way to say Facts.

Yeah, it's not like there aren't police reports or court docs to confirm. Hell, ask them what happened to their university president? 

20 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

And didn’t he fumble late against Iowa State?

He was up and down. He had the power to force first downs against loaded boxes and run blitzes when we needed him to, but he fumbled afterward much too regularly.

While my guess is they knew some of it, I could see them possibly not knowing.  Baylor is a nobody on the landscape of college football. once they fired briles no major network or news outlet cared anymore.  there are still stories in the local paper but it was probably done nationally 3-4 months after they fired him.  they haven't even been punished, correct?

its why they all wanted to keep him.  they knew the chances of repeating anything close to Briles success was limited without getting the OU/Miami types.  back to the usual 1-2 wins in conf would be nice.  

Regarding Bru already signing but not announcing  -  if he doesn't announce, what prevents other coaches to continue recruiting him, which would be a violation of NCAA rules in contacting a player that's signed to play for another school? I thought I remembered this issue coming up in the past. 

USC Spring semester starts on Jan. 7th (dorms open on the 3rd). He would have to fly home, pack, and move to campus on the same day he is supposed to be starting classes. If he is going to USC  
Excellent detective work there, hope you're right.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, pacman said:

USC Spring semester starts on Jan. 7th (dorms open on the 3rd). He would have to fly home, pack, and move to campus on the same day he is supposed to be starting classes. If he is going to USC  

Excellent detective work there, hope you're right.

I don't think USC has named their WR coach officialy yet, have they? He could just be waiting until that happens. 

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

While my guess is they knew some of it, I could see them possibly not knowing.  Baylor is a nobody on the landscape of college football. once they fired briles no major network or news outlet cared anymore.  there are still stories in the local paper but it was probably done nationally 3-4 months after they fired him.  they haven't even been punished, correct?

its why they all wanted to keep him.  they knew the chances of repeating anything close to Briles success was limited without getting the OU/Miami types.  back to the usual 1-2 wins in conf would be nice.  

Yeah, I think the bigger issue is that they didn't realize the risk that Baylor should get punished at some point. Hookfin could be playing for a team with 65 scholarships and no chance for a bowl game if the NCAA actually does the right thing. (We all know the NCAA won't do the right thing, but the Hookfins have to weigh the risk over a few promised freshman snaps.)

From what my sources are telling me, everyone has the Hookfin stuff backwards. Of course they knew about the rapes and murders. That's the entire reason the Hookfins were so interested in Baylor. Apparently on his official visit Hookfin thought he was going to meet Dave Bliss, who he really looks up to, only to be told that Bliss is gone. Strike two was when some guys on the team took him out on the town, for what he assumed as a night of rampant sexual assaults, but they just went bowling.

The Texas staff got in contact afterwards and let the Hookfins know that Baylor had purged all of the staff associated with the Briles and Bliss regimes. It wasn't enough to sway Hookfin and he was ready to fax in his LOI to Baylor but then Herman pulled out his ace in the hole: Casey Horny. Herman made Horny a coach for the rest of the year (like he did last year with Carrington) and Horny is now the point man in the recruitment. So everyone quit bitching, Herman's got this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

Is it more astounding they didn't know of Baylor's past, or that people on here still spell his name Hoofkin?

Honorable mention goes to Javonne Shepherd / Shepard / Sheppard / Shephard / Shepperd.

There are multiple spellings to the last name Shepherd. I am not going to bother and figure out which one is the actual spelling for Javonne until he signs his LOI. Up to that point, I don't care. Hookfin is a strange last name, but I've seen it before. I've never heard of someone named Hoofkin.

/csb

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

From what my sources are telling me, everyone has the Hookfin stuff backwards. Of course they knew about the rapes and murders. That's the entire reason the Hookfins were so interested in Baylor. Apparently on his official visit Hookfin thought he was going to meet Dave Bliss, who he really looks up to, only to be told that Bliss is gone. Strike two was when some guys on the team took him out on the town, for what he assumed as a night of rampant sexual assaults, but they just went bowling.

Things really have changed from several years back when Spencer Drango was telling recruits on Baylor visits to stay away from the black players because they were doing all kinds of bad things that would get everyone in trouble. Ol' Spence knew what he was talking about, I guess.

If I’m not mistaken, the surname Hoofkin originated in the hills of Arkansas.  The last name then quickly spread to Oklahoma shortly after the mass exodus caused by the dust bowl. More recently, the clan has found fertile inbreeding grounds in “the station”, Texas with it’s exploding lit nightlife.  

21 minutes ago, LarTXHorn said:

Is there a reason we haven't looked at Frank Okam or Rodrique Wright for dline coach? Are they not there yet as coaches? How do they recruit?

Okam is just an assistant DL coach at Baylor

Wright was at ECU for a year until they hired the guy from JMU and he brought in his own guys - would seem like an ideal guy to bring in if he doesn't have a job elsewhere as an "analyst"?

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I wish I hadn’t thrown out my old recruiting lists because I’d give you plenty of names that were Top 250 from every year around Pinkney’s time. We weren’t recruiting very well in the Top 100, but we always got a handful of Top 250 guys.

I know.  Exaggeration for effect. 

Btw, I was speaking of the Dallas Morning News lists.  They'd have a Top 100 for area, state, and national.  You'd generally have to get out of the Top 40 or so in the state before you'd see a few Longhorns.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Anybody else get a Lane Johnson vibe from Wiley (not the PEDs)? Given Herman's comment, I think he might eventually end up at tackle when he starts working with Yancy. It would seem to fit into Hand's thought process in the Athletic article posted yesterday. Just a thought.

not really. I could see him putting on 25-30 pounds and being a good TE or cross over to DE but I dont think he'll put on enough weight in 4 years to be an interior lineman.

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

....because he can't wait that long(5th) to get paperwork in to USC, for classes starting on the 7th

Sure he could.  He's already applied and been accepted to both schools.  He could decide on the 5th and start classes and they would do whatever they needed to do to get it done.  

I'm not even sure why he's signing an NLI - for a recruit of his caliber there is no reason to sign an NLI - schools will keep a spot open for him regardless.