Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

It's really not that terrible.  Creamy is a good sub for mayo/aioli if you want creaminess or the crunchy gives you a great texture. 

Great with bacon.  I usually skip the cheese though - pb and cheese is a weird combo. 

It's inability to pair with cheese and mustard is kind of a deal breaker for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was listening to an old time radio show on XM once and a little kid was talking about how much she likes peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.  Made me wonder if that was ever a thing.  I"m not brave enough to try.  

Edited by Lhorn

I was listening to an old time radio show on XM once and a little kid was talking about how much she likes peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.  Made me wonder if that was ever a thing.  I"m not brave enough to try.  
they are not bad. miracle whip and pb are even better
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

My cousin used to make those when we were kids.  He also has the most horrific flatulence I've ever encountered, and I kinda always credited that crap for it.

I've never tried it, as I think mayo (or Miracle Whip for that matter) as a condiment is generally disgusting, even though I abide it as an ingredient in something else (potato salad, deviled eggs, etc).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My cousin used to make those when we were kids.  He also has the most horrific flatulence I've ever encountered, and I kinda always credited that crap for it.

I've never tried it, as I think mayo (or Miracle Whip for that matter) as a condiment is generally disgusting, even though I abide it as an ingredient in something else (potato salad, deviled eggs, etc).

I hate mayo except for as an ingredient in something else, like potato or chicken salad, or on the outside of a grilled cheese.

Otherwise - hard pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We had peanut butter and miracle whip as kids, never mayo.  I knew a kid in school that brought mayo sandwiches for lunch.  Just 2 pieces of bread with a bunch of mayo in between.  They weren't that poor either.

Same gastrointestinally challenged cousin did this as well, and also wasn't poor enough for it to be some kind of practical decision.  Sick fucker just liked mayo that much.

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I like peanut butter and mustard sandwiches.

• Like 1

Mayo is pretty gross as anything other than a binder of tuna fish. Miracle whip is even worse.

When I was a kid, my mon used to make us peanut better and karo syrup. It makes my teeth hurt thinking about it now. It’s a wonder I don’t have the diabetes.

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

jif started out as 75% peanuts and 20% crisco, so if you ate jif it was pretty much already a thing. 

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Same gastrointestinally challenged cousin did this as well, and also wasn't poor enough for it to be some kind of practical decision.  Sick fucker just liked mayo that much.

That sick fucker grew up to be Futureman. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I grew up eating banana sandwiches with peanut butter and mayonnaise. Love them. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Deej said:

French's yellow mustard. 

The school district I grew up attending was always on the skids financially, as it's quite small (average class size was like 25 kids in the whole grade) and one of the standard lunch items was butter sandwiches.  Being a fat kid who never thought the regular servings of lunch were enough, I would frequently hammer those butter sandwiches and dip them in plain yellow mustard.  I probably haven't eaten that in 25 years, but they hit the spot back then.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Miracle whip is just mayo with more sugar and vinegar, right?

mayo is an acid (vinegar or lemon juice, usually with some water for industrial products), plus oil, and egg as an emulsifier.  miracle whip is too short on the oil content to be mayo.  reg says 65% and miracle whip doesn't meet that threshold, per internets.  whip has more sugar than vinegar and more corn starch than egg.  duke's has no sugar.  helman's has sugar but that's behind salt on the list so it's not much. 

Edited by elfenix

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The school district I grew up attending was always on the skids financially, as it's quite small (average class size was like 25 kids in the whole grade) and one of the standard lunch items was butter sandwiches.  Being a fat kid who never thought the regular servings of lunch were enough, I would frequently hammer those butter sandwiches and dip them in plain yellow mustard.  I probably haven't eaten that in 25 years, but they hit the spot back then.

Being a "poor" kid, my packed lunch sometimes consisted of an "ungrilled cheese" sandwich, which was basically a slice of american cheese between two buttered pieces of bread.  It wasn't bad.  Bread and cheese.  What I hated the most about those packed lunches though was when my mom would stick a banana in the lunchbox, and by noon everything in there - sandwich, chips, whatever would taste like banana.  Hated that. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 3

Being a "poor" kid, my packed lunch sometimes consisted of an "ungrilled cheese" sandwich, which was basically a slice of american cheese between two buttered pieces of bread.  It wasn't bad.  Bread and cheese. 

We got those on chili day. Instead of actual cheese slices, it was some kind of gelatinous cheese spread. Like a greasier version of cheeze whiz. Pretty good when dipped in the chili. It was like a white trashier version of tomato soup and grilled cheese.

I don’t know if anyone packed a lunch in our school, actually.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We got those on chili day. Instead of actual cheese slices, it was some kind of gelatinous cheese spread. Like a greasier version of cheeze whiz. Pretty good when dipped in the chili. It was like a white trashier version of tomato soup and grilled cheese.

We did, up until a point - the cafeteria at my K-8th grade wasn't "horrible", some of the stuff was pretty good and some pretty bad, like the salisbury steak, which looked like ants crawling on ground meat in rice.  I think at some point my dad got a discount on our school meals because he was a teacher, and there were 5 of us kids, because by about 3rd grade or so I started eating cafeteria meals.  Some of that was probably that my mom started working a full-time job around then and couldn't pack lunches for all of us.  The sausage in the cafeteria was dangerous.  They par-boiled it, and didn't poke it first.  So when you first stuck a fork or knife in the link, it might shoot a hot grease geyser on you or anyone close to you.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

So now we’re off on school cafeterias?  The stories I could tell........I’d have cut some fat lunch lady for a bowl of chili!  Horrific, dry, tasteless “hamburgers” once a week.  Made the salty bland canned vegetable look pretty good.

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

For me almonds and dark chocolate are perfect for each other. The bitterness of the chocolate and almonds plus crunch and texture go perfect together.  Almond M&Ms are the second best M&Ms after peanut butter.  Also love crushed nuts on top of a sundae. 

I guess that would make them 2nd and 3rd behind the true goat M&M, peanut M&Ms.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Cold fried egg sandwiches were a staple for my school lunches.  Every once in a while would get the school lunch card if I begged(piss & moan) hard enough.  Jr. High was pretty much strictly buying school lunch because they served "milkshakes" which was soft serve in a cup pretty much.  

Edited by Underdog

On 3/22/2021 at 11:03 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't have any hang up about the definition of chili like Texans do, but I think the cinnamon/clove thing and noodles is the weird ass part about Cincinnati Chili.

I could get over the noodles if not for the cinnamon.  That's the real deal breaker.

This also reminded me of a pediatrician friend of ours from Nebraska who has won a local chili cook off numerous times. She makes a vegetarian chili that has about every variety of bean in it along with chocolate and cinnamon. It doesn’t even have imitation vegan meat. I told my wife that she gets all the votes from people who like bean soup better than chili. 

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's really not that terrible.  Creamy is a good sub for mayo/aioli if you want creaminess or the crunchy gives you a great texture. 

Great with bacon.  I usually skip the cheese though - pb and cheese is a weird combo. 

Makes sense. Grocery stores carried jarred bacon peanut butter back around 1970. It was pretty damn good to my grade school palate. Not sure who made it then, but obscure brands are available online. Elvis supposedly loved bacon peanut butter banana sandwiches on toasted bread. It had to be healthy judging by how well he aged. 

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

On the nut topic, peanut butter and pickle sandwiches slam. 

I was going to ask you if this is real but then I searched it and the first result was a nyt article. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12887-peanut-butter-and-pickle-sandwich  I'll give this a try some day I've been known to slather peanut butter on a granny smith before.

Edited by Chopper

My school in SD in the mid-60s to early 70s actually prepared lunches from scratch. They even cut up the chickens themselves and had a “seconds” table where we could get extra of the main course or PBJ (or fried gizzards on chicken day). Some of the lunches were pretty pedestrian, but everything was fresh, including dairy products from the local Sunshine Dairy. When we moved to San Antonio, the schools made some meals from scratch like enchiladas, rice, and beans, but other lunches were frozen food service fare. Someone told us when we moved there that there was a law in San Antonio that schools had to offer beans at every lunch because of the Mexican kids needed beans in their diet. I think they were feeding us some B.S. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This also reminded me of a pediatrician friend of ours from Nebraska who has won a local chili cook off numerous times. She makes a vegetarian chili that has about every variety of bean in it along with chocolate and cinnamon. It doesn’t even have imitation vegan meat. I told my wife that she gets all the votes from people who like bean soup better than chili. 

I'm generally pro bean, but this sound so awful.  Chocolate?  Monster.

Tbh they were pretty bad but I would still eat one for nostalgic purposes.

They’re a very distinct taste and texture that is in no way good but I’m with you. Probably put ketchup on the damn things too, which is never an option on the table anymore.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tbh they were pretty bad but I would still eat one for nostalgic purposes.

1 hour ago, castolon said:

They’re a very distinct taste and texture that is in no way good but I’m with you. Probably put ketchup on the damn things too, which is never an option on the table anymore.

Some of those refrigerated packaged burgers at convenience stores are similar in taste and texture, if you're really feeling nostalgic.  I haven't eaten any of that since being a poor college kid, but at the time, they did remind me of my elementary school cafeteria burgers.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm generally pro bean, but this sound so awful.  Chocolate?  Monster.

I have won a chili cook off, in Texas, and chocolate (unsweetened) was used.  It imparts a nice mahogany color, and cuts the afterburn while retaining the heat on the front end.