Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

As opposed to... her planning it? 

Or are you married to the rare breed that can actually competently plan a trip.

As opposed to her caring too much about where we stay and what we do.  

She's happy to get away for a while 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Wait, it’s hot in Texas during summer?? Weird.

Yeah, man is that baffling... so I studied up on it while on the shitter last week and now I understand it all:

First, the Earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes-Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di’s clothes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Are you asking if it's socially acceptable to shove a stick of deodorant up your ass?

I mean, it's your ass.  Do what you feel.

I dont stick it up my ass. I lift up my sack and give the under carriage a swipe. Used to use baby powder until we found out its made with hitler aids.

Edited by MissingInAction

I went up to Austin this weekend for the state high school softball tourney.   It was nice compared to the humid crap down here on the coast.    I didn't hurt me one bit sitting in the afternoon sun.    You wusses  who live away from the coast  need to quit complaining about the heat.  We're Texas and it's supposed to fricken hot this time of year.    

17 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I think I said something similar in last year's thread, but I actually find as I get older, I enjoy Summer less with each passing year. 

I mean, I still enjoy hitting the pool/beach/lake on the weekends, going fishing, watching baseball. That's not what I'm talking about. 

I'm talking about it still being 91 at 8 p.m. and you're sweating your ass off and swatting mosquitos while trying to grill. Or walking through a 120 degree parking lot after eating a big lunch and then getting in your broiling vehicle.   

So, to clarify, it's not really Summer I don't enjoy any more. It's Summer in SE Texas. At some point in the next decade or so, I'm figuring out a way to work remotely and live anywhere but here from mid June-Labor Day.

I'm the opposite.  As I get older (I'm 47) , I like the heat more.   I have a pretty rigorous workout routine and been at it for five years now and it's damn hard to get into the groove when the temp is in the 50 or below . 

But I agree the humidity here on the coast can be unbearable, but the key is hydration.   You do notice a difference the further you go inland as 95 degrees or higher with 50% or less humidity feels much better than the same with 70% or higher humidity here.     That's what makes a move up to the Hill Country appealing.  

21 minutes ago, miguelito said:

This thread is basically just the Surly version of this:

5fcc9185bc0c8bc2319f0cbe2ef1f078dc457773

"Hot today."

"Yep."

"Mm-hmm."

"That's what the government wants you to think."

Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas. It's already 110° in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm gonna kick your ass!

• Like 7

Softball was fun tonight: 90 degrees with 80% humidity at 7:30, and a mere 3 degrees cooler with 90% humidity at 8:30.   Flags not moving an inch.  I don’t know why I keep doing it.   
Last night was perfect for softball...80, low humidity, no clouds and a 10mph breeze

Today will be hell. 90.

15 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I dont stick it up my ass. I lift up my sack and give the under carriage a swipe. Used to use baby powder until we found out its made with hitler aids.

Wait, you do it yourself, instead of having your manservant handle things?

What’s the point of having a manservant then?  Do you use a bidet, instead of having him wipe you with a moist towelette?

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

You wusses  who live away from the coast  need to quit complaining about the heat.  We're Texas and it's supposed to fricken hot this time of year

I’m not gonna lie, I’m intrigued by places like Vermont and New Hampshire, where the average July and August highs are in the 70s, topping out at around 81-82.  

Those locations are also more conducive to my mid-life crisis, namely building my version of the Possum Lodge from the Red-Green Show.  My wife doesn’t know that yet.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wait, you do it yourself, instead of having your manservant handle things?

What’s the point of having a manservant then?  Do you use a bidet, instead of having him wipe you with a moist towelette?

The heat puts Enrique into a tiff. I can barely get him to trim my ball fro 

The Lord God and His mother, Mother Nature, has heard my supplications today and granted your asses a cover of clouds that was sort of unexpected.  This is the low drifting in from the west (while all eyes are to the southeast) and merging with that mess in the Bay of Campeche (radar now showing rain moving into Texas from that).  So right now it's 80°-85° in the ATX area and temps should hold below 90° today.  There is even rain coming from the west/southwest, but most of that is probably gonna dry up before it gets here - but some might.  In any event, suck those clouds down, bitches before the Arabian heat arrives Saturday.  But models still look good for more precip and more or less normal temps after this little foray into hell during the weekend (and it is looking pretty hot... temps on Sunday might top 103° in some areas).

22 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Flying home wearing a fleece jacket and landing back in Houston to 97 and 100% humidity is one of life's cruelest jokes.

Indeed, and that's why I try to balance out those trips by departing IAH wearing fleece and making a connection in Miami for a flight to an island, in January-February.

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin:

Saturday - 97 / 75

Sunday - 98 / 76

Vermont: 

Saturday - 75 / 50

Sunday - 76 / 54

This is for January:

Average high : 30 degrees
Average low:  10 degrees
Average snowfall:  18 inches

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

WTF are you wearing fleece in Houston?

Ever?

Jan 2018.  I left for the Caribbean while it was freezing and snowing in SETX. Historically the winter after a hurricane/tropical storm SETX has a cold snap or 2.

Edited by BearSchlong

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is for January:

I lived in North Dakota for two years. This was winter:

• October: 57 / 31
  • November: 38 / 17
  • December: 25 / 4
  • January: 21 / 0
  • February: 27 / 6
  • March: 40 / 18
  • April: 56 / 30

7 fucking months where the average nighttime temps were below freezing, and no internet (this was the 80s) and ND is bleak and desolate.   NH, Vermont, places with similar winters, I can handle.   Just throw on another layer, unlike July in Austin where there is only so many clothes you can take off before getting arrested for public indecency, or getting fired.   

Plus the houses always seemed better-built, and many have basements.  

47 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I saw a mother letting her kids play in some standing water yesterday not 500 yards from the Woodgate water play area. I'll be sure and attend the funeral.

I walk my dog every morning by there.  I’ll be sure to snuff them out 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

This is for January:

Unless you know what 30 degrees and sunny with low humidity feels like, you don’t know. 

If you’ve only lived in Texas, you only see 30 when there’s a storm that covers the sun and brings wind and precipitation. 

Beginning my first summer in SF after leaving Texas. While I miss wearing shorts and flip flops and the fog can be a bummer, I can’t remember what we used to do for four months of scorching heat. People here flip out when it approaches 80.

I go outside. I know that I am a hot weather person and cold weather has the same effect on me as apparently hot weather has on a lot of y’all. But like I said before, I go swimming, enjoy the rivers, lakes, beaches with the kids, fish at night when in Fulton. But I also just get out and do stuff. I have every other Friday off and I find myself out taking photos. Yeah, I get sweaty, but showers still work as do washing machines for clothes.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:15 PM, deadshank said:

I'm gonna put on a skin tight pair of brand new, starched Wranglers and walk in the borrow ditch amongst the tall Johnson grass along I-10 all the way from Beaumont to Houston just  to see if I can do it.

Username checks out.  Will all Texas-based Surlies please check the side of the road for dead bodies?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Softball was fun tonight: 90 degrees with 80% humidity at 7:30, and a mere 3 degrees cooler with 90% humidity at 8:30.   Flags not moving an inch.  I don’t know why I keep doing it.   

How long does it take to warm up your arm?  Answer: not long.