Earthquake in California

Parliament

Geeze.

Reminds me of the one we experienced in Taiwan in 1957. It certainly is disconcerting to feel the ground rolling under your feet, light fixtures swinging around, pictures falling off the wall, and see the water sloshing out of the pond in the middle of our high school campus just like that swimming pool.

We’re in Orange County. We had a long travel day, so were in bed by a bit after 8. Everyone was asleep but me. The bed started moving side to side, and in my bleary-tiredness, I thought my wife was scratching her foot really hard or something. I even started to get annoyed with her, and then I heard dishes and other things nearby clanking. It went on for long enough to annoy me...and I still didn’t figure out it was a quake till later. Texas boy, these things don’t occur to me.

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This is true.

Sitting in my office with a slab on grade floor, and it felt exactly like you were riding the waves in a boat during an (occasional) earthquake (tremor) here in Va.  Not so when you were up on a second floor watching, and feeling the building under your feet, and next door sway, and large monumental scaled glass bowing as much as a foot or more in both directions.

those of us who have been through a bunch of these can tell you, typically they're over before you can say, "holy shit are we having an earthquake?"

the fact that so much footage has been caught on iphones tells you how serious, long, and unusual the last couple have been.  even if your phone is in your hand two clicks away from pressing record, it's impressive.  and scary as shit.

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sitting in my office with a slab on grade floor, and it felt exactly like you were riding the waves in a boat during an (occasional) earthquake (tremor) here in Va.  Not so when you were up on a second floor watching, and feeling the building under your feet, and next door sway, and large monumental scaled glass bowing as much as a foot or more in both directions.

I live near 10 rock quarries. I'm used to feeling the ground shake, usually around 4 pm every day. About a year ago there was an earthquake in Missouri that I felt here in North Texas. It wasn't strong, but the feeling was much different from a rock crusher explosion. I've never felt the ground move sideways before. It was 3 distinct waves and I was hundreds of miles away. I can just imagine what it feels like near a big one.

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We’re in Orange County. We had a long travel day, so were in bed by a bit after 8. Everyone was asleep but me. The bed started moving side to side, and in my bleary-tiredness, I thought my wife was scratching her foot really hard or something. I even started to get annoyed with her, and then I heard dishes and other things nearby clanking. It went on for long enough to annoy me...and I still didn’t figure out it was a quake till later. Texas boy, these things don’t occur to me.

This was not your concern, Dude

27 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Didn't feel the 6.4 on Thursday.  Definitely felt the 7.1 on Friday, but it was basically 10-15 seconds of rolling because we're 150 or so miles south of the epicenter.  No damage at all.  It did inspire me to double-check my earthquake kits, though.

what is an earthquake kit?  a james bond martini mixer?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Didn't feel the 6.4 on Thursday.  Definitely felt the 7.1 on Friday, but it was basically 10-15 seconds of rolling because we're 150 or so miles south of the epicenter.  No damage at all.  It did inspire me to double-check my earthquake kits, though.

Carl,

What part of So Cal you located in? I lived in Riverside from ‘95 till ‘11 and was there for the Hector Mine quake which match the magnitude from the latest large one. I’ve spoken with numerous friends and my ex asking about the severity of the shaking. Most state that it was equal if not greater. I’ll never forget the experience of that ‘99 quake. My house shook for 20-25 seconds!

7 minutes ago, The Original CaliHorn said:

Carl,

What part of So Cal you located in? I lived in Riverside from ‘95 till ‘11 and was there for the Hector Mine quake which match the magnitude from the latest large one. I’ve spoken with numerous friends and my ex asking about the severity of the shaking. Most state that it was equal if not greater. I’ll never forget the experience of that ‘99 quake. My house shook for 20-25 seconds!

Pasadena.  I felt the 7.1 shaker on Friday as much or more than any other quake I've experienced except for the 1994 Northridge quake.  Most quakes I've experienced give me a "rolling" sensation or feeling.  In '94, it was like something picked up the entire house and shook it violently for about half a minute before setting it back down.  And I was 25 miles away from the epicenter on that one.  

31 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Pasadena.  I felt the 7.1 shaker on Friday as much or more than any other quake I've experienced except for the 1994 Northridge quake.  Most quakes I've experienced give me a "rolling" sensation or feeling.  In '94, it was like something picked up the entire house and shook it violently for about half a minute before setting it back down.  And I was 25 miles away from the epicenter on that one.  

Can’t imagine being that close to an epicenter. With the Hector Mine quake, my best friend who grew up with me in Dallas had come down from Livermore, CA for the weekend. He went through the Loma Prieta quake in ‘89 and was working as a Superintendent on a high rise project in downtown Oakland less than 1.5 miles from where the 880 collapsed. He mentioned to me afterwards that the shaking was equal to if not greater than that quake and we were over 100 miles from the fracture in the High Desert.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Original CaliHorn said:

Can’t imagine being that close to an epicenter. With the Hector Mine quake, my best friend who grew up with me in Dallas had come down from Livermore, CA for the weekend. He went through the Loma Prieta quake in ‘89 and was working as a Superintendent on a high rise project in downtown Oakland less than 1.5 miles from where the 880 collapsed. He mentioned to me afterwards that the shaking was equal to if not greater than that quake and we were over 100 miles from the fracture in the High Desert.

I remember the Hector Mine quake -- it hit the day before my son was born.  I was farther away from the epicenter on that one, which is one reason I didn't feel it as much.  But that's saying a lot that your friend felt it was as bad as the Loma Prieta.

I was in an 18-story building in downtown LA when one of the major aftershocks from the Northridge quake hit in '94 -- the aftershock was about a 6.0.  It was pretty unsettling to be on the 15th floor and feel the entire building swaying and hear the joints creaking.  Suffice to say that I got the hell out of there ASAP.    

• 7 months later...