Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, ABTX said:

If I was TH I would have a home visit to every top target that’s not considering us and have them look us in the eye. I would ask why he hates us. And give home a brief story about the founders of Texas, the Comanches, the land he lives on and how the aquifers run underneath us. Telling him to shoot me a text within a week if he has a slight change of heart to create some bond.

This is good stuff, Hank Scorpio would be proud.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ABTX said:

If I was TH I would have a home visit to every top target that’s not considering us and have them look us in the eye. I would ask why he hates us. And give home a brief story about the founders of Texas, the Comanches, the land he lives on and how the aquifers run underneath us. Telling him to shoot me a text within a week if he has a slight change of heart to create some bond. Absolutely no way Texas should be outside the top 10 in recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is award winning satire. 

1 minute ago, ABTX said:

If I was TH I would have a home visit to every top target that’s not considering us and have them look us in the eye. I would ask why he hates us. And give home a brief story about the founders of Texas, the Comanches, the land he lives on and how the aquifers run underneath us. Telling him to shoot me a text within a week if he has a slight change of heart to create some bond. Absolutely no way Texas should be outside the top 10 in recruiting.

I'm sure you'll really win over the black high school players with tales of slave owners taking Tejas from the mexicans so they could have slaves...

• Fuck You 18

6 minutes ago, ABTX said:

giphy.gif

Brilliant. I know as a 16-17 year old kid, I definitely want to hear some "old man" tell me about the history and pride of the state of Texas, and the indians, the alamo, the war with Mexico and all that. It means more coming from a Californian, you know. 

And tell it in the below tone, for sure:

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Not arguing, because this is definitely correct. But how did we land those kinds of guys back when Mack was here? Was the "market" for top 10 prospects not as intense as it is now or did we use to play ball more? 

Back in Mack's day it wasn't about money, it was about relationships. The bag men weren't out there to just put money in their own pockets, they really cared about the player and his family. Why I remember when Willie Lyles used to bring Lache Seastrunk's mom dinner almost every single night. Sometimes he would even still be over at the house the next morning and make everyone breakfast. Now these crooks just look out for themselves and don't care about the families. Sad. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ABTX said:

Oh my God. It's full of stars.

41 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I was bashed on this board for suggesting  the Evans recruitment was not above board. Is it now dirty because he eliminated Texas from his list? 

It's still a Texas problem if elite players do not choose to play here no matter what the issue is. 

If you believe ctj, and I remember him right, his brother was running his recruitment and trying to shield him from all that, but he and George have gone off the reservation. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm genuinely curious if Demas was straight up bought, or if that's just what a bunch of us tell ourselves  because that's easier to believe than we just got whipped by aggy. 

Demas wasn't paid to commit. Afterwards, I don't know. But it's not like A&M offered them a bunch of money to commit during his visit and he took it

Mike Roach: What I'm hearing on Bryson Washington

I spoke to a source who told me the decision is going back and forth in the final hours. In the last week the momentum swung from Oklahoma to Texas and back several times. This source told me that at one point, the Oklahoma staff felt that Texas would be the pick while Texas felt Oklahoma would be the pick. Washington appears to be torn at this point, but I'm told we should know something tonight. I'll follow up this evening to see what I can find out.

Just now, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

I spoke to a source who told me the decision is going back and forth in the final hours. In the last week the momentum swung from Oklahoma to Texas and back several times. This source told me that at one point, the Oklahoma staff felt that Texas would be the pick while Texas felt Oklahoma would be the pick. Washington appears to be torn at this point, but I'm told we should know something tonight. I'll follow up this evening to see what I can find out.

Roach's sourcing is not good on this one. It's pretty clear that TFB is making the video and they heard the call will be OU.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Demas wasn't paid to commit. Afterwards, I don't know. But it's not like A&M offered them a bunch of money to commit during his visit and he took it

Google sec football payments and become educated on the options available to deliver players to these schools. Of course Jimbo or his cronies are not walking up with bags of cash to greet them.

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll really win over the black high school players with tales of slave owners taking Tejas from the mexicans so they could have slaves...

“Son, this land was ran by the native Indians originally. The comanches, apaches, cherokees before anyone. During this time it was survival of the fittest. My great great grandfather was a slave for the apaches at a young age. He turned into an Apache warrior, helping them learn English. Taking back land that white settlers tried to make there own. Unfortunately, his tribe died from American soldiers who tried to hold off the Mexican border. He survived, eventually dying at an older age passing his land off to an African American from Shreveport. I got off topic here.. but son if you want to slash Texas for what it was. Then it’s fair to slash Southeastern United States as well. This is Texas. We live this together.”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

I bet Washington won't even know who he is going to commit to until he gets to the podium and grabs a hat. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Back in Mack's day it wasn't about money, it was about relationships. The bag men weren't out there to just put money in their own pockets, they really cared about the player and his family. Why I remember when Willie Lyles used to bring Lache Seastrunk's mom dinner almost every single night. Sometimes he would even still be over at the house the next morning and make everyone breakfast. Now these crooks just look out for themselves and don't care about the families. Sad. 

Personal trainers & 7v7 were different animals back then, shoe companies had not yet figured out how to invest. Once they were able to replicate the AAU model of trainers becoming 7v7 coaches and creating 7v7 leagues that were not run by the UIL, add aggie opening Texas to the sec & open flood gates.

18 minutes ago, ABTX said:

“Son, this land was ran by the native Indians originally. The comanches, apaches, cherokees before anyone. During this time it was survival of the fittest. My great great grandfather was a slave for the apaches at a young age. He turned into an Apache warrior, helping them learn English. Taking back land that white settlers tried to make there own. Unfortunately, his tribe died from American soldiers who tried to hold off the Mexican border. He survived, eventually dying at an older age passing his land off to an African American from Shreveport. I got off topic here.. but son if you want to slash Texas for what it was. Then it’s fair to slash Southeastern United States as well. This is Texas. We live this together.”

the first one was better

If I was TH...

If magic is all we've ever know. Then it's easy to miss what really goes on. But I've seen miracles in every way.
And I see miracles everyday. Oceans spanning beyond my sight; and a million stars way above em at night.
We don't have to be high to look in the sky and know that's a miracle opened wide. Look at the mountains, trees, the seven seas.   Everything chilling underwater, please. Hot lava, snow, rain and fog. Long neck giraffes, and pet cats and dogs. I've seen eighty-five thousand people, all in one room, together as equals. Pure magic is the birth of my kids.
I've seen shit that'll shock your eyelids. The sun and the moon, and even Mars, the Milky Way and fucking shooting stars, UFOs, a river flows. Plant a little seed and nature grows. Niagara falls and the pyramids.  Everything you believed in as kids.
Fucking rainbows after it rains. There's enough miracles here to blow your brains.  I fed a fish to a pelican at Frisco bay, it tried to eat my cell phone, he ran away. And music is magic, pure and clean. You can feel it and hear it but it can't be seen. 
Music is all magic.  Are you a believer in miracles?
You can't even hold it. Do you notice and recognize miracles. It's just there in the air. Pure motherfucking magic. Right?

Show less

56 minutes ago, ABTX said:

That would almost be a perfect meeting, but TH did not say anything about Mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting drunk.  

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

If I was TH...

If magic is all we've ever know. Then it's easy to miss what really goes on. But I've seen miracles in every way.
And I see miracles everyday. Oceans spanning beyond my sight; and a million stars way above em at night.
We don't have to be high to look in the sky and know that's a miracle opened wide. Look at the mountains, trees, the seven seas.   Everything chilling underwater, please. Hot lava, snow, rain and fog. Long neck giraffes, and pet cats and dogs. I've seen eighty-five thousand people, all in one room, together as equals. Pure magic is the birth of my kids.
I've seen shit that'll shock your eyelids. The sun and the moon, and even Mars, the Milky Way and fucking shooting stars, UFOs, a river flows. Plant a little seed and nature grows. Niagara falls and the pyramids.  Everything you believed in as kids.
Fucking rainbows after it rains. There's enough miracles here to blow your brains.  I fed a fish to a pelican at Frisco bay, it tried to eat my cell phone, he ran away. And music is magic, pure and clean. You can feel it and hear it but it can't be seen. 
You can't even hold it. Do you notice and recognize miracles. It's just there in the air. Pure motherfucking magic. Right?

Show less

Image result for clark are you guys high

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

If I was TH...

Show less

Fucking recruiting, how does it work?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

That is fucking peak 9.95 shit right here. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

If you believe ctj, and I remember him right, his brother was running his recruitment and trying to shield him from all that, but he and George have gone off the reservation. 

Visits to Bama and Georgia tend to "broaden the mind".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

Looks like someone is rooting for Card

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Does that mean he went from #8 to #1 today, or is this a different metric?

Edit: Realized that "Rankings after Day 4" could possibly mean "for Day 4", which would make the decision make a bit more sense.

Edited by KYHorn

Mike Roach: Four-star safety Chris Thompson is looking to decide soon

Chris Thompson was a late addition to The Opening Finals. The four-star Duncanville safety was called in as a replacement due to injury. Thompson said he was excited for the opportunity to compete. “It was a late-night call,” he said. “It felt good. I wasn’t complaining. I just want to showcase my ability and my skills. People say I can’t cover, and I just want to prove them wrong.”

Thompson just finished an official visit to USC. He said he loved the visit, and the weather in California was great. “I loved it,” he said. “I loved USC. The weather was perfect.” Thompson went to Ohio State for an official earlier this month, and he said that the coaching staff communicated a clear plan to him. “Ohio State,” he said. “I loved that too. I just love the coaching staff. Coach Hafley had a plan for me. I just like the way he’s sure about the plan for me.”

Thompson is circling a decision date. He wants to get it done before the season, but he doesn’t know exactly when it will happen. “I plan to make my decision before the season,” Thompson said. “I want to do it in July, but it may be August.” What’s the most important factor for Thompson? He wants to build trust and feel the defensive scheme can prepare him for the NFL. “I’m looking at if I can trust the coaching staff,” he said. “If the defensive scheme is the best fit for me.”

Texas is the longest-standing school in his top group. Thompson said he trusts Texas assistant Craig Naivar and the defensive scheme allows for versatility. “Everything’s going well,” he said. “Texas is still one of my top schools. They play with six defensive backs, so that’s pretty impressive.” Naivar isn’t the only one recruiting him to Austin. His teammate Ja’Quinden Jackson is on him as well. “He’s been recruiting me every time I’ve seen him,” he said. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, Thompson is ranked as the No. 7 safety in the nation and No. 21 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.