Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

this staff has been extremely cautious with qualification risks. Have we even had a single recruit not qualify in the '18 and '19 classes? 

Everyone who signed from those classes, qualified. The only one who even had minor question mark was Mike Williams in 2018.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Now with the signee limit or whatever it’s called, it does hurt you to sign someone who doesn’t qualify. 

Just now, Huckleberry said:

The staff looks like they're loading up on 2021 and a lost scholarship in 2020 is a backcounter you can't use in 2021.

Right.  If we only take 20 this year, that would mean we could go to 30 in 2021, but is there any way we actually have a class that big?  Wouldn't that require a massive amount of attrition, too?

39 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Klatt is just about the best out there when it comes to intelligent, incisive discussion of college football.  He likes and respects the University of Texas and doesn't much care who likes it.

He's earned a lot of respect for how he prepares and level of effort as a professional. 

I was at an event this spring where is was also a guest and he is a solid dude. I expected a phony like Herbie but he is the exact opposite. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

He's earned a lot of respect for how he prepares and level of effort as a professional. 

I was at an event this spring where is was also a guest and he is a solid dude. I expected a phony like Herbie but he is the exact opposite. 

It's funny you say that, I almost dubbed him the "anti-Herbstreit."

This may have already been discussed, but is Derrian Brown projected to count more as a 2020 recruit? I have no clue when it comes to the medical staff, but could this explain why the staff is willing to be patient in focusing on the 5 star recruits before shifting their focus elsewhere? 

12 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

So is this kid actually a qualification risk?  Where is that coming from? 

Given that he goes to Junipero Serra, I seriously doubt he's a qualification risk. Well over half the school takes AP courses, practically everyone who goes there goes to college, it's a factory for football players who go on to AAU colleges (Tom Brady to Michigan, for example), and as a Jesuit high school with a serious endowment, it's not like they don't have the ability to give him a team of private tutors if they need to in order to get him qualified.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Given that he goes to Junipero Serra, I seriously doubt he's a qualification risk. Well over half the school takes AP courses, practically everyone who goes there goes to college, it's a factory for football players who go on to AAU colleges (Tom Brady to Michigan, for example), and as a Jesuit high school with a serious endowment, it's not like they don't have the ability to give him a team of private tutors if they need to in order to get him qualified.

I don't think it would be a stretch for a private school to barely pass an elite athlete for sports purposes. That does not always equate to getting into UT, especially from out of state. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think it would be a stretch for a private school to barely pass an elite athlete for sports purposes. That does not always equate to getting into UT, especially from out of state. 

Given that the guy meets the minimum requirements, if he is good in football, it really won't matter whether he is in state or out of state

37 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I have a serious endowment in my pants

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

Klatt is just about the best out there when it comes to intelligent, incisive discussion of college football.  He likes and respects the University of Texas and doesn't much care who likes it.

He has the benefit of not working for ESPN and doesn't reside in the shadow of all the SEC propaganda. 

His explanation last year that miami fucked the polls for everyone with their high preseason ranking and subsequent demise resulted in the SEC being propped up higher than it should be was spot on.

41 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Different Junipero Serra. NorCal (San Mateo - Brady) vs. SoCal (Gardena - LVBS)

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

In a year where we're looking at a small class, where we won't use all 25 spots, doesn't it make good sense to shoot the moon on some 5-star talent that might have some qualifying risk?  If they can't qualify, you've "lost" that scholarship, but since we're going to be so far under the 25 scholarship limit, it's basically irrelevant, right?  And if he does make it to campus, you're in the money.

• If a 2020 signee doesn't qualify, aren't they still considered as an initial counter for the 2020 Class?    (25 limit per class)
  • Also not sure a 2020 non qualifying signee's slot can be used for a 2021 early enrollee?

IMO,  it's probably better to not to take a chance on a non-qualifier in a smaller class of 21-23.  It's easier to take more chances in a larger Class of 25+ players.  

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

This may have already been discussed, but is Derrian Brown projected to count more as a 2020 recruit? I have no clue when it comes to the medical staff, but could this explain why the staff is willing to be patient in focusing on the 5 star recruits before shifting their focus elsewhere? 

I doubt they are counting on Brown at all.

If he is able to play, that would be tremendous.

But it wouldn't be wise to plan on him at all until he (1) gets cleared by doctors and (2) completes spring and/or fall practices.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Different Junipero Serra. NorCal (San Mateo - Brady) vs. SoCal (Gardena - LVBS)

Good catch.  I lived in Riverside as a kid and would have gone to Poly.  Big difference between Long Beach Poly and Riverside Poly.

Edited by jdhorn92

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Yesterday there was a post that the 9.95 crowd thinks we get four new commits by Sunday.  We just got Karic.  Best guess for the next three?  LV, Hester and 2021 Campbell?

ringo, and demas and bijan flip.  plus karic makes 4.  not hard. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Yesterday there was a post that the 9.95 crowd thinks we get four new commits by Sunday.  We just got Karic.  Best guess for the next three?  LV, Hester and 2021 Campbell?

Take out Hester and add Jerrin Thompson and Juan Davis 2021

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

The post was from Suchomel and said 4 in the next week or two. Davis and CTJ are almost guaranteed as 2

He recently put in picks for Brandon Campbell and Latrell Neville, both of whom will be there this weekend, so I'm guessing one of them is the other. Neville is apparently looking to decide in early August now 

He also said there was one other maybe that he needed to check on 

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The post was from Suchomel and said 4 in the next week or two. Davis and CTJ are almost guaranteed as 2

He recently put in picks for Brandon Campbell and Latrell Neville, both of whom will be there this weekend, so I'm guessing one of them is the other. Neville is apparently looking to decide in early August now 

I know everyone but CTJ. Who is CTJ

Just now, texifornia said:

He's from Lufkin. We couldn't even calculator a kid spending an entire spring break from Phoenix.

Lufkin.   Once he sees women romancing each other he is going to laugh in Jamarkus McFarland's general direction and commit on the spot.  He will get a better job after his career is over than GA at SFA.  OU sucks.  

The check on was karic

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's from Lufkin. We couldn't even calculator a kid spending an entire spring break from Phoenix.

I'm likely wrong but Ringo did not feel like a fair fight with GA. The mom being in the airline industry and SEC makes it feel like once the dawgs made their offer, it was over. It's not like they've been trying to hide their commitment to FB since Kirby came on board. Bud Elliot has been very vocal on his podcast over the last few years of how that recruiting region had changed and it was going national. 

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'm likely wrong but Ringo did not feel like a fair fight with GA. The mom being in the airline industry and SEC makes it feel like once the dawgs made their offer, it was over. It's not like they've been trying to hide their commitment to FB since Kirby came on board. Bud Elliot has been very vocal on his podcast over the last few years of how that recruiting region had changed and it was going national. 

I know it's not worth the energy but goddamn am I still salty about how that one has played out