Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

oh and college game day can be there, since it will be the first time in howevermanyyears, and we can have all of the college game day signs with Princely's face pasted on top of Slider from Top Gun in the volleyball scene. 

And Corso (if still employed/alive) can put a volleyball bearing a Longhorn logo on his head when he picks Texas to win.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Did y'all hear that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party? Because I heard that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party. Can anyone here confirm that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party? I'm not saying that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party. I'm just trying to find out if Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party.

Somehow the funniest part of this to me is that it occurred in some mass-produced off campus apartment complex. Very aggy.

19 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Somehow the funniest part of this to me is that it occurred in some mass-produced off campus apartment complex. Very aggy.

Jimbo would have hosted the event at his house, but Candi was in town and he didn't want the recruits to be "distracted".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Did y'all hear that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party? Because I heard that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party. Can anyone here confirm that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party? I'm not saying that Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party. I'm just trying to find out if Princely Umanmielen spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher's face at a pool party.

Some things you just know are true.  

Like Craig James killing 5 hookers. 

• Like 1

Eric Nahlin on changes he would make to Texas' recruiting approach:

I wouldn't go into a season with open scholarships and needs. Linebacker was identified as a need long ago. I cut them slack with DGF getting hurt but we're talking about an issue going back to 2017. Also, the RB room is needlessly thin. They have as many tight ends as running backs.

I'd probably offer guys a little earlier and wouldn't be as hung up on "a Texas offer means more." A Texas offer will mean more when they win more. That's the time to slow the offering process down. I do agree with that in theory. I also like not purging the roster which they're clearly against. The Clemson approach is wise for a school like Texas. Props there.

I would be more aggressive in making "the ask." Don't wait for someone to say they want to commit, explain to them you want them to be a Horn and what committing to them means for you and the class. Tom Herman needs to be more involved in "the ask."

Edited by satyanash

IT mods are doing a combined recruiting/team Q&A, here's the recruiting stuff (edited some stuff for clarity):

Q: saw Longview vs. JT will be televised on ESPN2. Know of any other games that may be of interest to our recruiting that we could watch on TV this year?

Eric Nahlin (EN): No clue. We usually handle that on a week by week basis. If you're in Houston watch Kube57. They'll have North Shore vs Katy to start.

Q: How do you see the 2020 finishing. As in who do you think they land.

EN: This will continue to be a big month. Too close to announcements to answer this. Most readers have a good idea who the next run of guys will be.

Q: When the dust settles. How many recruits are we signing this class? (2020) 22? 24?

EN: Depends on the season and who is interested. Numbers and needs are always flexible until very late in a cycle.

Q: Hypothetically if we land Eaton and Alford that puts us at 5 DBs. What DBs would they still take at that juncture? You have room for another safety but I thought we liked our odds to flip Rogers more than Ransom/Washington/Thompson if we were going to flip anybody.

Justin Wells (JW): Kelee and Lathan will always have spots. Jahari is still a take. The early returns on the in-state crop of 2021 CBs is also a factor.

Q: If Texas wins the Big XII and makes a playoff appearance would Ringo be a possibility?

EN: If I thought the season would play a part I wouldn't have had him at 10% months ago.

JW: Anything is possible. But I don’t think that’ll matter.

Q: Is Texas still in contact with Watts?

EN: I don't think so.

JW: Not really.

Q: You were all over Jalen Green's potential, and now it's looking like he is going to be CB1. Who's that guy in 2020 and 2021 classes?

JW: <takes a bow even though it was obvious>. Ethan Pouncey and Ishmael Ibraheem.

EN: I think I'm going to have Crawford over Kimber because of physicality. Kimber is more polished for sure but Crawford can play boundary or field. Crawford is built better too. In 2021... it's Latrell McCutchin for now but we'll see how it ends up.

Q (follow-up): Just meant more generally, who is that four star that is going to be a five-star producer (hopefully).

EN: I'm the only one who thinks Broughton is a five-star.

Q: How realistic are the chances of Jaxon Smith flipping?

EN: Enough to bring him to the board's attention.

Q: A semi-plugged in poster on other site claims things more positive with Evans that most would assume...at least from his end. Do you think any chance?

JW: The tailback from Galena Park’s recruitment starts in November.

Q: If UT hired y’all to run their recruiting operation, what changes would you make?

EN: I wouldn't go into a season with open scholarships and needs. Linebacker was identified as a need long ago. I cut them slack with DGF getting hurt but we're talking about an issue going back to 2017. Also, the RB room is needlessly thin. They have as many tight ends as running backs. I'd probably offer guys a little earlier and wouldn't be as hung up on "a Texas offer means more." A Texas offer will mean more when they win more. That's the time to slow the offering process down. I do agree with that in theory. I also like not purging the roster which they're clearly against. The Clemson approach is wise for a school like Texas. Props there.I would be more aggressive in making "the ask." Don't wait for someone to say they want to commit, explain to them you want them to be a Horn and what committing to them means for you and the class. Tom Herman needs to be more involved in "the ask."

Q: Texas seems to be having a harder time recruiting in California this year. Do you still see it as fertile recruiting ground? Do you see us making a dent in Louisiana any time in the near future?

EN: California will always be worth the time and effort for Texas and Tom Herman. Every cycle is different, every recruitment is different. Look who they targeted and who they lost out to. Like we said even before this cycle kicked off they were going to make a concerted effort to recruit in-state. They have done that. They landed a five-star running back from AZ and might still pull a top safety. I don't ever see them making much of a dent in Louisiana unless there are very unique circumstances. They will continue to dabble on the margins though.

Q: Why aren’t we recruiting more LB’s this year because it seems we are pretty thin on the roster?

EN: I think Hullaby will end up at LB personally. They must still feel they can pull Josh White, or at least want to see what happens in early September when they play the school he's committed to in front of him. They're likely getting good feedback from a player or two we're not following close enough. Depth is a little better than fans realize because they're looking at this season rather than next. I wouldn't rule out another Juco. At this stage in the cycle you might as well wait for some senior tape. More names will emerge. No reason to worry yet.

Q: At the start of the LA Tech game, how many commits does the 2020 class have?

EN: 19 would be my first guess. 20 my second. 18 my third.

JW: I’d guess at least two more.

Q: Seems when [Hullaby] committed, we touted him as a fantastic do-it-all type of OU kind of offensive player who causes all kinds of problems for the D. Is he plenty talented at LB to warrant the hope there?

EN: I mentioned linebacker as a possibility when he committed. It's a harder position to find than H-back so he should try there first. The same traits that would serve him as a y-back would serve as a linebacker. It'll come down to physicality and whether or not he's up to it mentally. They seem to be really patient with linebacker recruiting. That could be a tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

We've had back-to-back Number 3 classes and this year we're on track for a top ten with a small class. I guess there's always room for improvement but this seems like pure hindsight 

Even with the advantage of hindsight, it doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

You got this in your backyard but spend the first half of the recruiting season flirting with Wilson....smh. Meh better close on him. 

Dude hasn’t played much and isn’t a big lover of recruiting. He’s a freak. While he’s a composite top 75 player, he’s probably underrated by half, at least. 

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Although Johnston showed up to practice decked out in all burnt orange and singing "The Eyes of Texas", I'm not quite ready to put in a crystal ball pick for Texas.

If he actually wrote that, I would appreciate his humor and self-reflection.