Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone who hasn’t watched Collins’ sr film should go check it out. That is a championship-level beast. Watching OU contort themselves into thinking they’re in it is good stuff. 

How futile does Arkansas have to look and how outstanding does Kelvontay Dixon’s sr film have to look before Texas realizes he’s the slot take they should be all over? 

I haven't watched any of his highlights this season. He seems outlandishly fast for his size. 

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

One more spot opened up.

Guess homeboy cared more about immediate playing time than development. Should have stuck with Iowa State, I guess, although I wonder what his reaction would have been if he hadn't started there immediately in their DB heavy defense? We heard rumblings last Spring about Johnson, clearly not a culture fit I guess. Still, we need bodies at LB so this definitely stings a little.  

4 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Juwan Mitchell appears to have been a fantastic eval at this point.  Might end up being our best LB outside of Ossai by seasons end.

We all liked what we saw against Rice, but maybe tap the breaks JUST a bit here. We know this staff is good at evals, but considering rice's schemes he just might not get that much time the rest of the season, barring injury. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They threw numbers at the position last cycle; between Tillman, Gbenda, and Mitchell we have some players. And Floyd hasn't been ruled out for good yet.

I am not sure I would consider that throwing numbers. Those guys all seem to be pretty good evals. Say what you want about Orlando's recruiting, but he seems to hit on the guys he does take going back to Gary Johnson. 

Just now, Vertigo said:

I am not sure I would consider that throwing numbers. Those guys all seem to be pretty good evals. Say what you want about Orlando's recruiting, but he seems to hit on the guys he does take going back to Gary Johnson. 

Well, except Johnson clearly. And Adeoye hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

(I'm not really ragging on his evals, just saying he's not perfect at them)

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Well, except Johnson clearly. And Adeoye hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

(I'm not really ragging on his evals, just saying he's not perfect at them)

Adeoye is a RS freshmen and has been playing quality snaps so far this year. I am not saying we can't do better there but I would hardly call him a bust. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Throwing numbers isn't mutually exclusive with good evals.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Throwing numbers isn't mutually exclusive with good evals.

I have always understood throwing numbers as taking some eval risk in order to fill up a depth chart (See Charlie Strong's OL class in 2015). Orlando seems to me to be patient to a fault, as evidenced by Deshaun White. Last year was a bit of an anomaly in that we had more spots open at that position than we should have had, but even then, only truly missing on one guy is a pretty solid outcome for a big class. If Floyd comes back and is as we think he can be, this could be looked back on as a very high level class at the position. 

Saw this alluded to in a couple threads about a RB recruit aggy thinks they're in on -- but probably not -- getting booted from his HS team for fighting or pissing off teammates. I Googled Zach Evans, Ngata and Achane and nothing hit. Looks like it's probably Evans based on a few comments from not long ago. Is that right?

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Saw this alluded to in a couple threads about a RB recruit aggy thinks they're in on -- but probably not -- getting booted from his HS team for fighting or pissing off teammates. I Googled Zach Evans, Ngata and Achane and nothing hit. Looks like it's probably Evans based on a few comments from not long ago. Is that right?

Yes4 

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

It's Evans. It's been chronicled on here at length for a few weeks now. 

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Adeoye is a RS freshmen and has been playing quality snaps so far this year. I am not saying we can't do better there but I would hardly call him a bust. 

This isn’t true at all. He’s been pretty terrible in the limited snaps he has played. He didn’t get exposed against Rice because they’re not capable of doing so, but he made some huge mistakes in the first two games and based on his play so far, can’t be relied on for quality snaps.

He’s playing because there’s not much else at the position.

Edited by Burt Macklin

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You won't find any touches for Evans from last week's game. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2019&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=341108&TeamID=84&SearchType=Teams

Nor the week before.

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2019&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=341259&TeamID=79&SearchType=Teams

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We have one on campus that you might have written off, but shouldn't have.

Texas has 20 commitments. They'll take 2 more WRs, hold out for Ringo, and might take a flyer on a late riser at any position or a juco LB. 

20? Do you know something we don't?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

We have one on campus that you might have written off, but shouldn't have.

Texas has 20 commitments. They'll take 2 more WRs, hold out for Ringo, and might take a flyer on a late riser at any position or a juco LB. 

Floyd? (i assume this is who you are talking about but...)

Vaughns? Gbenda? who are you talking about?

Edited by NoName

30 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Seems like we have enough guys we can develop between Tillman, Gbenda, and Mitchell for MAC/Rover. If DGF plays again or if Adeoye develops, then even better.

Ossai and Vaughns will have b-backer locked down although Ossai does play quite a bit Rover when there’s 2 LBs on the field.

Ossai should never come off the field, he’s probably been our best defensive player through the first three games. Next year he can be the B Backer in Nickel and Rover in Dime. The year after he’ll probably be playing on Sundays. 

1 minute ago, Masshole Horn said:

CTJ has talked about the staff being high on certain LBs since before the 2019 class came aboard.  If he is speaking of the same player, process of elimination all but ensures that Byron Vaughns is that LB.

No one has written off Byron Vaughns. He also looked lost in limited action v Rice.

• Like 1