Game Atmosphere 2019

blacklab

there were students crowding into the season ticket section on the ES upper deck. There were three students standing in our two seats when we got up there. The whole east side was pandemonium just prior to kick. CDC's gotta figure out the first-come system because below looks like a disaster waiting to happen. 

That said, probably won't be that much anticipation for a game again this year. 

1 minute ago, DaysOff said:

What a bunch of fucking pussies. Try standing in line for hours only to be given shitty seats out of a spinning wooden box. Then get your head kicked in by coug high on parents weekend and the only water in the stadium dribbles out of a 70 year old fountain. Pussies.

And survive a blanketesque cricket attack.

25 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Someone should tweet at CDC about the lack of Texas Fight chant opportunities. Seems like something he would take seriously.

This x100. Zero Texas Fight chants after kick off. Godzillatron blasted music at every opportunity. How hard can it be to coordinate the cheerleaders and chants into the overall game “entertainment” plan?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

There were more than a few Texas Fight chants

There were zero stadium-wide Texas Fight chants done while the players were on the field. Some sections tried to start their own, but none where the cheerleaders coordinated it with their signs. Any attempts to start it were quickly extinguished by zombie nation/thunderstruck, etc. Oddly no music played a few of the times when LSU fans did their chants. 

Edited by Baconboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baconboy said:

There were zero stadium-wide Texas Fight chants done while the players were on the field. Some sections tried to start their own, but none where the cheerleaders coordinated it with their signs. Any attempts to start it were quickly extinguished by zombie nation/thunderstruck, etc. Oddly no music played a few of the times when LSU fans did their chants. 

the cheerleaders were all too busy bending to one knee while flashing the hook 'em horns sign during LSU cramping injuries.

almost everytime they showed this on the godzillatron. After about the 3rd time this happened, i was like you can stop doing that now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baconboy said:

This x100. Zero Texas Fight chants after kick off. Godzillatron blasted music at every opportunity. How hard can it be to coordinate the cheerleaders and chants into the overall game “entertainment” plan?

That’s on the cheerleaders. They did some god awful dance during a timeout and get also did a fake marriage proposal. Shit, you have basically 1 job at Texas. Lead Texas Fight

3 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

there were students crowding into the season ticket section on the ES upper deck. There were three students standing in our two seats when we got up there. The whole east side was pandemonium just prior to kick. CDC's gotta figure out the first-come system because below looks like a disaster waiting to happen. 

I think I saw my son in that clip

we can make fun of students being whiners... but crowd control is a serious issue.

anyone who has ever been in an unsafe situation like that knows how helpless you are to get out of it. Really don't want a tragedy to happen.

the do a really good job with the escalator crowd control for the most part

4 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Looks like the old days on the stairs outside leading into the Cotton Bowl missing Sooner fucktards who want to fight.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 2

The blaring “music” right up to, and sometimes just beyond, the snap is terrible. It is absolutely the reason that Texas Fight doesn’t happen. And now I will depart to pay a visit to the Bob Cole thread. Holy shit he’s terrible. HERE........I...........GO.......

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 1:04 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Still no Texas Fight chants. I’m not sure how they pissed off the powers that be, but it is criminal this is no longer part of the game. 

23 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

Someone should tweet at CDC about the lack of Texas Fight chant opportunities. Seems like something he would take seriously.

Got another survey yesterday.
I encourage everyone that got one to answer 1 not at all likely on the question. This question is known as "Net Promoter Score" and is a measure of how you are doing with your customers. The lower it is the more likely they will take action to raise it.

How likely are you to renew your season tickets for the 2020 Texas Football season?

This is what I put in the box:

Bob Cole is very annoying and needs to talk less. He often was talking while our offense was trying to communicate.
No Texas Fight chants during the game.
Music blasting every free second, sometimes into the plays themselves while we were on offense.
The constant advertisements and promotions makes me want to watch the game from home rather than sitting through them.
I spent a lot of money on my tickets. I should be treated as a customer, not as a freeloader that has his service paid through advertisements. I'd gladly pay an extra $100 a year if you removed ads from the stadium. If you things like the Kendra Scott promotion to keep the students excited do them before the game while they are sitting there bored waiting for the game. 

• Like 8

Somewhere in the miles of ribbon board we can't squeeze in one little square that shows constantly rotating, up-to-date, out of town scores?  I know there aren't many of us, but there are some actual college football fans at the games.

I could check on my phone if they ever get in stadium wifi.  Cell service has improved last year and this year but it's only gone from no chance in hell to spotty at best.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

“PS: The field still looks like shit.”

We need a grass field. We can afford to do it right vs the shitty turf problems we had during the Mack years, sorry if it means Westlake or LT or the band has to practice/play elsewhere. Smell of burning rubber should not be part of a game experience. 

I think if you dropped a line like "endless advertising to a captive audience seems like a Patterson-era holdover", it would probably get some attention. All those extremely LOW bars should be chip shots for CDC to handle, but with the right language, might be more motivating for his to wash that Patterson shit sandwich out of everyone's mouth for good. 

Also wanna say that I got two regular cokes (for the booze), a bottle of water, and nachos for like $12 or $13 bucks. I thought they had missed charging me for an item. Its been awesome having games be so much more financially reasonable

Season Tix holder.  Was at the game.  Crazy atmosphere.  Not as hard charging as Notre Dame, but our tickets back then were in the upper deck of the NEZ and there were lots of Likes to Fight guys wearing green in attendance. Lots of Purple and Gold in the Lower Bowl of the NEZ.  Fuck those people that sold those tickets. The National Telecast really elongates the game, every time an LSU player pulled up lame, there seemed to be a 3 minute TV timeout, lots of void to fill.  In the 2nd half, we had students filling the aisles in our section (8).   The music was hella loud and would always bleed into the next play.  Flyover was bad ass.  On the promotions, they need to start firing the prizes into the parents section, shit, we are the ones footing those bills on the other side.

42 minutes ago, WBT said:

Somewhere in the miles of ribbon board we can't squeeze in one little square that shows constantly rotating, up-to-date, out of town scores?  I know there aren't many of us, but there are some actual college football fans at the games.

I could check on my phone if they ever get in stadium wifi.  Cell service has improved last year and this year but it's only gone from no chance in hell to spotty at best.

No shit....I didn't realize until about 3:00 PM Sunday that Mack and UNC had beaten Miami     (yeah, I know that 1:00 AM to 3:00 PM is on me...but still).

1 hour ago, WBT said:

CDC tweeted about it last week, I didn't pay enough attention to see if it was addressed for the LSU game. Guess it wasn't.

we can make fun of students being whiners... but crowd control is a serious issue.
anyone who has ever been in an unsafe situation like that knows how helpless you are to get out of it. Really don't want a tragedy to happen.

the do a really good job with the escalator crowd control for the most part
Dude, don't come to WDW.

Disney are the kings of crowd control and situations like this happen at WDW all the time.

1 hour ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

Season Tix holder.  Was at the game.  Crazy atmosphere.  Not as hard charging as Notre Dame, but our tickets back then were in the upper deck of the NEZ and there were lots of Likes to Fight guys wearing green in attendance. Lots of Purple and Gold in the Lower Bowl of the NEZ.  Fuck those people that sold those tickets. The National Telecast really elongates the game, every time an LSU player pulled up lame, there seemed to be a 3 minute TV timeout, lots of void to fill.  In the 2nd half, we had students filling the aisles in our section (8).   The music was hella loud and would always bleed into the next play.  Flyover was bad ass.  On the promotions, they need to start firing the prizes into the parents section, shit, we are the ones footing those bills on the other side.

I can't remember a game with that many TV timeouts.  Every time a LSU player cramped, we were subject to a 3-4 minute commercial break.  Perhaps I'm just getting spoiled with commercial free programming between DVR, Netflix, etc., but holy shit that was unbearable. 

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

I can't remember a game with that many TV timeouts.  Every time a LSU player cramped, we were subject to a 3-4 minute commercial break.  Perhaps I'm just getting spoiled with commercial free programming between DVR, Netflix, etc., but holy shit that was unbearable. 

We're getting prime time ABC again in two weeks, so get ready.

3 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

If any advertiser announced "This moment of silence brought to you by (insert business name here)" I would support their business regularly. Humm..."Surlyhorns brings you this moment of silence." I'd contribute. 

While i am on board as the next guy about the awful constant bombardment from Godzillatron, i feel like if the ads and shit had not been blaring all we would heard in it's place was:

L - S - U

T - I - G - E - R- S

Now, yeah, not every home game is going to have a similar infestation, but Godzillatron bombardment  did give the LSU fans less opportunities to do their little chants.

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

We need a grass field. We can afford to do it right vs the shitty turf problems we had during the Mack years, sorry if it means Westlake or LT or the band has to practice/play elsewhere. Smell of burning rubber should not be part of a game experience. 

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

“PS: The field still looks like shit.”

Bevo would be happier on a real grass field.  You could even put some bluebonnets heere and there around the outparcels.  The Horns coaching staff must like this turf's traction factor or something because I damn well know the athletic department can afford a fresh real turf sod field every week of the year.

This was one helluva college football game, the best I've seen since UGA and OU in that Rose Bowl.  The drab-ass, shiny turf was literally the only negative for me.  I expected the Horns to win going away and LSU to shit the bed with numerous procedure and personal foul penalties, but they showed more poise than is typical for LSU.  This majestic showpiece of a stadium would be complete if it had a real grass field.

Good luck the rest of the way, Horns.  You guys should win out.  I think the world of Jalen Hurts, but he has a hard time with multiple bogeys.  When he starts bailing out to the right and going backward, the play's over.  Thanks for a hellacious, entertaining game.  Maybe you can return the favor next year in Baton Rouge.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, DaysOff said:

What a bunch of fucking pussies. Try standing in line for hours only to be given shitty seats out of a spinning wooden box. Then get your head kicked in by coug high on parents weekend and the only water in the stadium dribbles out of a 70 year old fountain. Pussies.

That wasn't a fountain . .  . it was a trough-based urinal.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, Baconboy said:

if this is true there's splainin to do.

Sounds like the student section needs to go back to assigned seating. Student attendance wasn't a problem in 2000-09 when we had assigned seats. The product on the field will bring the kids back in, not the GA seating. Some engineering student is gonna get trampled to death and then what happens? 

Putting seating and music aside, the Gameday atmosphere around the stadium is top-10 in College Football. That Smokey's Midway setup, food trucks, music stage next to the fountain, and tailgates all over next to like the Base Concert Hall were badass.

It used to be you'd have to grab a parking pass and lug around a generator, grill, and canopy to party on Gameday. That's no longer the case

Sounds like the student section needs to go back to assigned seating. Student attendance wasn't a problem in 2000-09 when we had assigned seats. The product on the field will bring the kids back in, not the GA seating. Some engineering student is gonna get trampled to death and then what happens? 
There's a choo choo with no one to drive it?

2958cae948eec3da348af2d23e877aa7.gif7a6985b39479f2c3f6fdc4f79fa89ef7.gifdb768bb64d57b96da4ebbd10c24a08ce.gif55be747fd29a38af7bf805a68137a24f.gifea23668a9396a260adf985a893a4ec80.gif17c07370c334cb5212f78afe8bce4c5c.gifc6b8d0b06b3dc68154f259b7843355d2.gif69d665650e222a13599ee40b0cc63300.gif

On 9/8/2019 at 10:17 AM, Bottlecap said:

Might have been my son and his friends.  They couldn't find seating in the student section so they wandered until they found some open seats.  Got booted out of the stadium once the seat holders showed up.  I thought he was just an idiot that didn't pick up on where the student section overflow was supposed to go since they wouldn't allow more people in than the section could hold.  After reading about this the last day or two, sounds like he was right.  They let kids in without enough capacity for them.  

I thought the USC game was more electric last year but maybe that’s bc no one in my section was yelling except me this year.  I feel bad for the students.  My wife’s two cousins waited 4 hours in line and got trampled over and weren’t allowed in the student section.  The lady next to me had her son that’s a senior not allowed back in the section bc he had to take a piss.  The student section is so much more rowdy and loud and has overall helped the atmosphere but CDC needs to evaluate a better way to manage the student section.

we also tried to start Texas Fight multiple times.  Fuck the cheer leaders for not starting it one time except the beginning of the game.