Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

It was Bobby and Justin, my bad. @Hiphopopotamos is right, there's more than stock footage. Looks like a potential commitment video.  

Yeah, I thought that sounded like Bobby, but I didn't want to be known as a person who could recognize Bobby's voice, so I didn't mention that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, ArchManning said:

And somehow Chip Brown got my phone number. If he leaves one more voicemail asking to talk about my visits, I’m going to Virginia. Fuck that guy. 

Now I’m sure this is legitimately Arch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArchManning said:

Do any of y’all have patience? I’m coming to Texas, any thing else you hear is bullshit. It’s Texas and it has always been Texas. Why would I go to Bama when Nick is about to retire and what quarterback even wants to go to Georgia now. Everyone calm down and stop your complaining/worrying, I’ll announce sometime soon. 

Spoiler

Hi!

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

The video's on the page below - not sure why the link isn't working - but net, re: Cedric Baxter, Fong thinks

- Texas is 1A, Aggies are 1B

- his gut tells him Texas leads at this point

- but Baxter has his Aggie OV coming up ... 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/wiltfong-whiparound-the-latest-on-rb-cedric-baxter-jr/

After watching what happened last cycle, bags will be wide open for mr Baxter that weekend. No way in hell they let him out of there without 7 figures promised.

• Rage+1 1

Do any of y’all have patience? I’m coming to Texas, any thing else you hear is bullshit. It’s Texas and it has always been Texas. Why would I go to Bama when Nick is about to retire and what quarterback even wants to go to Georgia now. Everyone calm down and stop your complaining/worrying, I’ll announce sometime soon. 

If this isn't the real Arch Manning, I'm going to go to 6th Street and start karate kicking everyone I see.

• Haha 1

new here willy wonka GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Some interesting notes from Parker Thune (OU 247), on

- Chatman

- Goosby

- Pettaway and 

- Harrison-Pilot

Spoiler

OU 247 

Parker Thune

— Hearing good things recently about Oklahoma's pursuit of four-star offensive lineman Jaydon Chatman. I'd say Oklahoma leads (and many in the industry would agree) heading into his Texas official visit this coming weekend. I'll say that I don't have enough of a feel on this recruitment to drop a CB just yet. This has always had the feeling of a Red River recruiting battle, and I think that if the Sooners can stave off the Longhorns' advances on Chatman, they'll be in line to secure his commitment. He's a quiet, family-oriented kid who has never been likely to venture too far from home. Thus, to a certain extent, the family environment in Norman is perfect for a player like him. However, I am leery of the proximity to Austin and how that may sway things. Pay attention to three-star TCU commit Trevor Goosby, who recently received the Texas offer and will also be on the Forty Acres for an OV this weekend. He may be a perfect measuring stick for the weekend. It's more significant if Goosby doesn't flip than if he does, because his dream school has always been UT. If the Longhorns can't generate enough juice to flip him, then I'd consider Oklahoma's odds to land Chatman even better. It's also worth remembering that Texas absolutely stuffed the boat with offensive linemen in the 2022 class. At the end of it all, I do believe it'll either be OU or UT.

— On the topic of Red River recruiting battles... yeah, mad and well-deserved props to @rdavisou, who called this long before anyone else. I am very, very close to dropping an OU crystal ball for Jaquaize Pettaway after speaking to a couple of sources. However, it does sound as though Mikal Harrison-Pilot may be trending in the opposite direction, which Brandon had hinted at on last night's YouTube Live. That will be something to monitor in the weeks ahead. But Pettaway would be a huge addition to this class, and would be Oklahoma's highest-ranked wide receiver signee since Mario Williams in 2021. Brandon has more intel coming on both Pettaway and MHP, so I'll leave the majority of the meat on the bone for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Enchubben said:

After watching what happened last cycle, bags will be wide open for mr Baxter that weekend. No way in hell they let him out of there without 7 figures promised.

This is where the benefit of true NIL can start to rear it's head. They'll promise the money. And we can show him the guaranteed money for NIL, as well as Bijan driving a fucking lambo at his position. Does College Station have a lambo dealership? Let me help you, the answer is no. In fact, the college station (and Tuscaloosa for that matter) MSA's have about...10 car dealerships. Austin has 50. When people have tried to explain the NIL power of Austin, well, that's a huge chunk of it: businesses and wealthy people who live around those businesses. 

They'll offer seven figures. And we'll make our pitch. It will be an interesting litmus test of where things are at this moment, not that it matters because it's obvious where it's all going. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is where the benefit of true NIL can start to rear it's head. They'll promise the money. And we can show him the guaranteed money for NIL, as well as Bijan driving a fucking lambo at his position. Does College Station have a lambo dealership? Let me help you, the answer is no. In fact, the college station (and Tuscaloosa for that matter) MSA's have about...10 car dealerships. Austin has 50. When people have tried to explain the NIL power of Austin, well, that's a huge chunk of it: businesses and wealthy people who live around those businesses. 

They'll offer seven figures. And we'll make our pitch. It will be an interesting litmus test of where things are at this moment, not that it matters because it's obvious where it's all going. 

Where does he visit first? How much will they offer for Baxter to skip the Austin visit?

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Reminder that Thune said he still believed OU led for Devon Campbell in January.

Campbell had signed with Texas in December.

Parker Thune also suggested that Norman, OK is a good family environment. Parker Thune is an ass banjo.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Some interesting notes from Parker Thune (OU 247), on

- Chatman

- Goosby

- Pettaway and 

- Harrison-Pilot

Reveal hidden contents

OU 247 

Parker Thune

— Hearing good things recently about Oklahoma's pursuit of four-star offensive lineman Jaydon Chatman. I'd say Oklahoma leads (and many in the industry would agree) heading into his Texas official visit this coming weekend. I'll say that I don't have enough of a feel on this recruitment to drop a CB just yet. This has always had the feeling of a Red River recruiting battle, and I think that if the Sooners can stave off the Longhorns' advances on Chatman, they'll be in line to secure his commitment. He's a quiet, family-oriented kid who has never been likely to venture too far from home. Thus, to a certain extent, the family environment in Norman is perfect for a player like him. However, I am leery of the proximity to Austin and how that may sway things. Pay attention to three-star TCU commit Trevor Goosby, who recently received the Texas offer and will also be on the Forty Acres for an OV this weekend. He may be a perfect measuring stick for the weekend. It's more significant if Goosby doesn't flip than if he does, because his dream school has always been UT. If the Longhorns can't generate enough juice to flip him, then I'd consider Oklahoma's odds to land Chatman even better. It's also worth remembering that Texas absolutely stuffed the boat with offensive linemen in the 2022 class. At the end of it all, I do believe it'll either be OU or UT.

— On the topic of Red River recruiting battles... yeah, mad and well-deserved props to @rdavisou, who called this long before anyone else. I am very, very close to dropping an OU crystal ball for Jaquaize Pettaway after speaking to a couple of sources. However, it does sound as though Mikal Harrison-Pilot may be trending in the opposite direction, which Brandon had hinted at on last night's YouTube Live. That will be something to monitor in the weeks ahead. But Pettaway would be a huge addition to this class, and would be Oklahoma's highest-ranked wide receiver signee since Mario Williams in 2021. Brandon has more intel coming on both Pettaway and MHP, so I'll leave the majority of the meat on the bone for him.

He's OU's version of 6 figs.

• Rage+1 1

Gerry Hamilton on Jaquaize Pettaway

Spoiler

Houston, Texas – On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway made an official visit to Texas last weekend, and walked away giving the Longhorns high marks.

The No. 10-ranked wide receiver in the 2023 class made the visit last weekend to Austin with his mom and sister.

“The Texas visit was cool. They showed me that they were nice, to me and my family. They were very welcoming to me and my family. We all had a good time. Seeing all the coaches again, they were happy I was back. I feel like overall, it was a great visit.” 

Pettaway and wide receivers coach Brennan Marion have formed a solid relationship in the last few months.

“He’s a very cool guy. I feel like I can talk to him personally about anything. We kind of like have the same back story. When we sat down and talked, he watched film with me, my mom and my sister. We watched my film, and their (Texas) film, and I thought that was cool.”

The time spent with Marion included spirited games of dominoes.

“We went back-to-back. He beat me the first time, and I came back and beat him the second time. We split. We competed!”

The visit to Texas helped the Longhorns cause with Oklahoma the perceived favorite.

“Oh yeah. I feel like I can see myself going there. I felt like it’s a good place to be for me. We had the main dude from the business school take us around and see everything. That was important for me and my family because I want to major in business, and communications too. That was very big for me too.”

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian’s message was about versatility within the offensive scheme.

“He was just like, you can be an all-around receiver for us. They can use me in all types of ways. They can motion me and stuff like that, so I liked that.”

One of the highlights of the weekend was interacting with On3 Consensus No. 1 Arch Manning.

“Arch is a very subtle guy. He’s very laid back. I didn’t expect him to be that tall. He’s big. He told me that he heard I could be a 10.2 (100 meters) guy. He was very cool.” 

Texas vs. Oklahoma decision looming
The 5-foot-11, 170-pound speedy playmaker has made June official visits to both arch rivals, and left no doubt about his recruitment following a Langham Creek High morning workout. 

“The two schools I’m looking at right now are Oklahoma and Texas,” Pettaway told On3 Wednesday. “I feel at home at both. They are both very similar in how they would use me. I feel like at Texas, I could still talk to more coaches. At Oklahoma, I talk to every coach. That’s what I’m thinking. It’s a big rivalry.” 

The No. 11-ranked prospect in the Lone Star State is thinking August for a decision. With the acknowledgement that is could come sooner.

“May August 15 or the 20th. I’m not sure about the date. I could be earlier. It comes down to where I feel most home at. I feel at home at both, but it will be a long conversation process with my family.”

Pettaway enters his senior season with 105 receptions for 1,798 yards and 16 touchdowns in two seasons for the Lobos. He has more than 2,000 all-purpose yards.

• Hook 'Em 1