Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Beartooth Highway is indeed spectacularly beautiful and breathtaking, but as I recall the road was fairly wide, well kept, and had guardrails most/all of the way.

One of the most unnerving trips I recall was Mt. Evans road.  It's billed as the highest paved road in North America and takes you to the top of a 14er.  The road was narrow, not in great shape in places, but most disconcerting was being above the treeline with no guardrails.  The steep drops with no rails or trees between you, the edge, and the bottom was nerve wracking.  However, the view form the top was spectacular and worth the drive nonetheless.

I live about 25 minutes from Mt Evans.  Even though I live at the top of a mountain and am used to driving them, that drive to the top of Mt Evans still makes my stomach turn.  I still think Red Mountain Pass on the Million Dollar Highway is worse...no guardrails and your tires are a couple of feet away from the drop off.   

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Street2Peschel said:

I live about 25 minutes from Mt Evans.  Even though I live at the top of a mountain and am used to driving them, that drive to the top of Mt Evans still makes my stomach turn.  I still think Red Mountain Pass on the Million Dollar Highway is worse...no guardrails and your tires are a couple of feet away from the drop off.   

I am infinitely envious of you.

1 hour ago, Street2Peschel said:

As far as roads with no guardrails go, "going to the sun road in Glacier National Park is one of the worst (best).

The road over Independence pass is pretty intense at times too...

4 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

As far as roads with no guardrails go, "going to the sun road in Glacier National Park is one of the worst (best).

The road over Independence pass is pretty intense at times too...

I went over Independence Pass on New Year’s Day in 1994 during a snowstorm.  Fun times.  Apparently they started closing it permanently during the winter shortly thereafter.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I went over Independence Pass on New Year’s Day in 1994 during a snowstorm.  Fun times.  Apparently they started closing it permanently during the winter shortly thereafter.

I was driving to Aspen and decided to take the pass instead of the shorter route and it was closed just past Leadville due to a stupid bicycle race. 

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Since we’re food and traveling all over this thread, Google maps unknowingly took me through Ophir pass (45 minute shorter route to Telluride? What could go wrong?!) and my ex almost killed me. 
565205DE-A8DE-4E56-87DB-83B43CB9EC9F.thumb.jpeg.06d944ebc5097eea9bdb24ae0e1e6b1c.jpeg

Yeah, I had to turn around on that one. I was in a Lexus SUV rental and I almost got stuck early on going the opposite direction. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't AWD. But, I was positive that I would have gotten stuck if I continued. So, I took the long way home. Getting stuck on a jeep trail would absolutely suck.

Speaking of, Black Gap Rd. in Big Bend is pretty rough. It tore up my SUV like - Image tagged in 5 black guys and blonde - Imgflip

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Since we’re food and traveling all over this thread, Google maps unknowingly took me through Ophir pass (45 minute shorter route to Telluride? What could go wrong?!) and my ex almost killed me. 

Happens more than you'd think

https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/misdirected-box-truck-gets-stuck-on-ophir-pass-road/

Yeah, I had to turn around on that one. I was in a Lexus SUV rental and I almost got stuck early on going the opposite direction. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't AWD. But, I was positive that I would have gotten stuck if I continued. So, I took the long way home. Getting stuck on a jeep trail would absolutely suck.
Speaking of, Black Gap Rd. in Big Bend is pretty rough. It tore up my SUV like - 2fbyuw.jpg

Pfff. Black Gap is a 2WD trail. Clearance and tires are more important.

36 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Pfff. Black Gap is a 2WD trail. Clearance and tires are more important.

Maybe it depends on the time of year. It definitely had lots of signs and warnings that said 4 wheel drive only. And there is no fucking way a two wheel drive would have made it and no fucking way something like a Subaru would make it and Subarus are often used on the Silverton to Ouray and Telluride across the pass trails. You definitely needed high clearance - at a good number of places my frame mounted hitch would drag and leave me close to getting stuck and that mesquite sucked on a nice vehicle - about as bad as the senderos we use to drive while quail hunting.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

565205DE-A8DE-4E56-87DB-83B43CB9EC9F.thumb.jpeg.06d944ebc5097eea9bdb24ae0e1e6b1c.jpeg

My family drove this pass in a Buick LeSabre. Mom had her head in her hands the whole time. It was awesome

4 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Rule number 1 of pretty much every offer unless there is legitimate reason for the deadline that the seller has no way to change. If they’re willing to do it today, they’ll be willing to do it tomorrow.

I’ve always though, you better fuck me now or I might sober up and/or lose interest is a good reason to accept a now or never offer. 

• Haha 5

Maybe it depends on the time of year. It definitely had lots of signs and warnings that said 4 wheel drive only. And there is no fucking way a two wheel drive would have made it and no fucking way something like a Subaru would make it and Subarus are often used on the Silverton to Ouray and Telluride across the pass trails. You definitely needed high clearance - at a good number of places my frame mounted hitch would drag and leave me close to getting stuck and that mesquite sucked on a nice vehicle - about as bad as the senderos we use to drive while quail hunting.

It is definitely considered a “4x4 only” road, I’m just talking some shit. A body on frame 2WD truck can typically do it just fine. I have done it in 2WD a few times myself.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hudson Standish.

(3. Texas is the current leader for five-star linebacker Anthony Hill Jr.)

Complete article below.

Hide contents

Three things I know:
1. The Texas coaching staff recruits at an elite level

With 2022’s class in the rear view mirror and halfway through the 2023 cycle it’s clear that the current Texas Longhorns coaching staff can recruit with nationally elite programs across the country.

On the offensive side of the ball Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee grabbed the No. 1 player in the nation in one of (if not the) most highest profile recruitments in the modern recruiting era.

New additions Tashard Choice and Brennan Marion have added serious juice to the staff and are plus adds across the entire board in addition to their plus recruiting in their respective position rooms.

Jeff Banks, Kyle Flood, and Bo Davis were all heralded recruiters before heading to Austin and have held up their end of the bargain. While defensive coaches Jeff Choate, Blake Gideon, and Terry Joseph have all had signature wins in the 2023 cycle and are set up for more fireworks if current trendlines hold.

The staff still has a lot to prove on the field this season, but heading forward there should be no doubts about their collective recruiting ability.

2. The Arch Manning recruiting effect has exceeded expectations

We knew that a potential Arch Manning commitment would elevate the Texas 2023 class, however the immediate wave of commitments and ensuing momentum across multiple recruiting classes has exceeded even lofty expectations.

Nearly every recruit or source we speak to has an Arch Effect related nugget of information and I expect that to increase as we get closer to Manning’s first in person recruiting events as a commit.

3. Texas vs. Alabama on September 10th will be the biggest gameday visit weekend in recent memory

When I talked with Mike about a half dozen recruits I confirmed would be in attendance for the Texas vs. Bama game we had a brief conversation about how this visit weekend would likely stack up vs. the 2016 Notre Dame game and the 2019 LSU game.

While we won’t have a full scope of the recruiting impact until after the game, heading into the season with the visitors we’re expecting on campus in the 2023 and 2024 classes this matchup will take the cake. Nearly every uncommitted 2023 and 2024 recruit we’ve talked to plans to be there if their high school football schedules allow it.

Three things I think I know:
1. Texas should get a recruiting boost if Arch Manning attends the end of July recruiting event

I reported last week that a couple sources felt confident Manning would make his way to Austin for the end of the month recruiting event, but without full confirmation it’s still a bit in the air. If he does make his way to Texas, it could prove as added motivation for five-stars across the country to check out UT along with priority targets that have visited Texas multiple times.

2. The 2022 Texas Longhorns will be top 10 in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency (or your favorite tempo adjusted offensive metric)

Steve Sarkisian and co. brought in a ton of new offensive pieces this offseason to compliment the All-American duo of Bijan Robinson and Xavier Worthy. Throughout the spring we heard glowing reviews about every feature of the offense, save the OL, but even started to hear more encouraging news late as Hayden Conner took over the left tackle spot. Now with a host of true freshman offensive lineman shaking up the depth chart as Texas heads towards fall camp, there is a considerable amount of justified optimism.

3. Texas is the current leader for five-star linebacker Anthony Hill Jr.

Again, a friendly reminder this is in the “three things I think I know” section, but as we’ve reported over the past two weeks Texas is the team with the most buzz at the moment with arguably the most important remaining piece on the board.

If I knew for a fact Hill was deciding before the season I probably would have entered a Texas crystal ball by now. However with his potential decision timeline extending into the season and an A&M visit on the horizon I’m remaining cautious but optimistic for Texas.

exited-excited.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

In retrospect it's not surprising to learn that aggy uses take it or leave it, good for one-day-only offers. Jimbo probably got his sales training from some mortgage-life insurance agent.

Mattress Mack imo. Come on down to Texas A&M where we really will Pay! You! Money!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Some of you fuckers obviously ain't driven on this...

6-Mario-Kart-Wii-Rainbow-Road-Wii-2008.j

I play MarioKart 8 with my kids occasionally. I’ll start choosing various Rainbow Roads and destroying them on it. My youngest is 6 and he begs me not to pick another one after pummeling them on a few. Never gets old, destroying the gamer illusions of today’s youth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6