Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Look, man. I know you were going for painters but you can't just list da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael to start out a list and then not finish it with Donatello. That's just some bullshit.

I was think more along the lines of Andy Warhol. 

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I assume they just call the consensus top 32 five stars? I agree that Texags posters don't understand math, just curious for those of us who do.

That's what On3 is doing for their composite. It's what 247 used to do, but it looks like they stopped doing that in 2021, which had 35 composite 5-stars and 2022 had 34 five-stars. The "top 32 consensus players are five-stars" is the ranking that makes the most sense to me. It corresponds with the number of first-round picks in the NFL draft. But now for 247 it seems like you need a composite score of .9833 or .9834 to be a five-star. There have been two players ranked as .9834 who were five-stars in the last few cycles, and two players ranked .9832 that were four-stars. None have been ranked as .9833. 

I feel like a fucking nerd for looking that up. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LMAO, Derek Williams is ranked 4 stars by every service yet is considered a “Consensus 5-star” by on3. Should be good for 10+ pages on texags.

I like how it looks like 26, 41, 53, and 76 averages to 27.  Maybe since they are using decimal ratings and not number ranking, that’s the information they should be posting on the graphic. Maybe?

42 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LMAO, Derek Williams is ranked 4 stars by every service yet is considered a “Consensus 5-star” by on3. Should be good for 10+ pages on texags.

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I assume they just call the consensus top 32 five stars? I agree that Texags posters don't understand math, just curious for those of us who do.

Yep. This is correct.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I like how it looks like 26, 41, 53, and 76 averages to 27.  Maybe since they are using decimal ratings and not number ranking, that’s the information they should be posting on the graphic. Maybe?

The composite point average is ranked against all other player composite averages as well. So, that probably means there are some other bigger outliers among "similarly ranked" players.

Ex:

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 09.39.17.png

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, that's what will confuse most people. It's also possible that they're using number rankings and those four still come out to #27 overall. Just as a quick example:

image.png.bbda3551e2c6bc553bc04ee41df18d40.png

So here the "average" of 4, 3, 2, and 4 is 1. And the "average" of 9, 5, 5, and 2 is 4.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, that's what will confuse most people. It's also possible that they're using number rankings and those four still come out to #27 overall. Just as a quick example:

So here the "average" of 4, 3, 2, and 4 is 1. And the "average" of 9, 5, 5, and 2 is 4.

Yep, this is what I was explaining, but this visual represents it perfectly.

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Fucking sudoku

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I guess Fat Ketch only understands math when it involves the embezzlement of charitable donations.

Or how much pork he wants to buy.

The Ham Train, laden with 3000 tons of ham, leaves the station headed west at 10am, going 40 miles per hour.

Ketch is impatiently waiting at the station 200 miles away for his ham shipment. It takes 30 minutes to unload the ham, and Ketch can eat 5 pounds of ham per hour. At what time will Ketch have his first cardiac event, if it takes 15 pounds of ham to cause a coronary reaction?

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

The Ham Train, laden with 3000 tons of ham, leaves the station headed west at 10am, going 40 miles per hour.

Ketch is impatiently waiting at the station 200 miles away for his ham shipment. It takes 30 minutes to unload the ham, and Ketch can eat 5 pounds of ham per hour. At what time will Ketch have his first cardiac event, if it takes 15 pounds of ham to cause a coronary reaction?

image.png.6afe7e6c70dbef08e580cee121166016.png

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

6:30?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

6:30?

I think it would depend on how long it takes the train to reach cruising speed as well as how long it takes to come to a stop.  I don’t have a lot of experience with choo choos, but my general impression is that they don’t handle like a sports car.  Also, can Ketch just pop the first pallet open as soon as it’s offloaded?  Not really enough information to give a definitive answer.

• Haha 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

I think it would depend on how long it takes the train to reach cruising speed as well as how long it takes to come to a stop.  I don’t have a lot of experience with choo choos, but my general impression is that they don’t handle like a sports car.  Also, can Ketch just pop the first pallet open as soon as it’s offloaded?  Not really enough information to give a definitive answer.

Can't be unloaded by non-union folks. Sorry, pal, that's the regs.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yep, this is what I was explaining, but this visual represents it perfectly.

It’s super dumb (and I’m not sure if they changed it) but the way the consensus ratings used to work was they would literally subtract 0.0001 from 1.0000 for how many spots away you were. I.e a consensus #2 player was 0.9997 when there three ratings services. Since then, I think they’ve changed it to weight 247 slightly more and added On3.