Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I get that. I dont know why, but every once and awhile I get amazed at the choices kids make. Lets take Vasek as an example. He could have went [gone] for a Cal, Michigan, Stanford, Notre Dame, or Virginia education. He decided OU had better degrees. Than [Then] there is location. No need to delve into that but, that was a failure also. I know it will never change, but for some reason kids not maximizing their options annoys me every once and awhile. 

Take a guess at one or two things that annoy me every time.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

OU is not *that* bad, education wise, and has good Honors programs if a kid actually gives a shit. Not sure how that squares with being a football player, but I generally find this debate about undergraduate rankings and whatever tiresome. A Gen Ed major at UT is not getting a better or worse education than a Gen Ed major at OU.

Correct!

My 9 years in college did not provide me with much more than how to deal with a bloated bureaucracy.

But I sure as hell learned my social security number by the end of my first semester!

Go Liberal Arts!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 6:22 PM, BornAndRaised said:

The point is that it's a scam and is taking 20% off the top before splitting the rest with the entire roster, and it's being done at every university to turn a quick buck for the owner. It's a for profit initiative.

Big deal. I'll consider it a convenience fee until there is a team wide alternative or line extensions of the Burnt Ends here at Surly. 

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Shonen said:

Big deal. I'll consider it a convenience fee until there is a team wide alternative or line extensions of the Burnt Ends here at Surly. 

How bout you start with getting some Burnt Ends flair and quit pimping this other fucking NIL scam?  Negged for being a complete dumbass! 

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Tree Fidy said:

How bout you start with getting some Burnt Ends flair and quit pimping this other fucking NIL scam?  Negged for being a complete dumbass! 

Thanks for the reminder that my "flair" had expired.  As an inaugural BAMF donor, and a re-upped Burnt Ends member here's your flair🖕

🤘🏽

Screenshot_2022-08-02-09-44-59-36_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg

Edited by Shonen
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's what Hunter Osbourne said.

it happened because of Michigan State and another player - not a shot at Texas/Bijan

https://spartanavenue.com/2022/06/19/alabama-taking-notice-michigan-state-football-recruiting-efforts/

In case you don’t get the “rings over Lambos” shot, it’s in reference to Michigan State rolling out a Lamborghini for Okunlola to take a picture with during his visit last week. Alabama is basically saying, you may have the cool cars and flash, but we have the substance.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Yas, vapid but smart and helped ruin Star Was, but only behind Jennifer Connelly as GOAT. Fuck your models.

Star Wars has a ton of issues, but blaming Natalie Portman is certainly a take I haven't seen before. As far as I know she wasn't involved with writing or directing the prequels.

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know where it went wrong, but I know for certain that when I saw Luke Skywalker milk the teat of an alien sea cow and then chug the green  milk that came from it, a wrong turn or fifty had to have been made way back there behind us somewhere. 

Idk I thought the sea cow did Leia’s outfit justice

5256F198-7758-40FF-B7E9-E25F808535FD.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

35 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

“Where did the Star Wars series go wrong” is just the kind of discussion we’re going to need if we want to get this thread to 1000

Bet you can't ruin this thread in less than 12 parsecs 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Top247 WR Jalen Hale locks in official visits to Alabama and Texas
STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

Top247 WR Jalen Hale locks in official visits to Alabama and Texas
STEVE WILTFONG

Longview (Texas) High Top247 receiver Jalen Hale took official visits to Georgia and USC in June and will return to Alabama and Texas in September for officials to each campus.

“I have an OV on the 3rd with Bama so I can see how they get ready for a game and see how they play in person,” Hale said.

“Then I have an OV set for the 10th to Texas so I can see and evaluate them as well.”

The Crimson Tide hosts Utah State the weekend Hale will be back in Tuscaloosa and he’ll see Alabama again the following week when they take on the Longhorns in Austin.

Hale is fresh off a time spent with Nick Saban and company this past weekend.

“They had the cookout which is nice,” Hale said. “I was able to talk to the guys that where there about the program and gets their views on how they liked it so far.

“I fit in the offense because they run some of the same kind of stuff we run in our offense but with a little bit more at the college level.”

All of these programs have given Hale plenty to think about.

“I’m doing my pro and cons of all of my choices to see what’s best for me and my family and when the time comes I will make my announcement on where I want to go,” Hale said. “College is a very important decision as my pops says, I have to go there for four years, not anyone else, so do my homework and go with my heart and that’s what I have been doing with my process and it hasn’t been a rush for me.”

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t know where it went wrong, but I know for certain that when I saw Luke Skywalker milk the teat of an alien sea cow and then chug the green  milk that came from it, a wrong turn or fifty had to have been made way back there behind us somewhere. 

Great, here comes the Earth cow stans. Don't be an Udderist.

Athletic: National recruiting big board: The 10 most impactful uncommitted 2023 prospects

relevant bits:

5. Five-star DL David Hicks

High school: Katy (Texas) Paetow
Ranking: No. 7 overall, No. 1 defensive lineman
Height/weight: 6-4, 270 pounds
Considering: Texas A&M, Texas, Miami, Michigan State, Oregon, Alabama and Oklahoma

The buzz: A little more than a week ago — when Texas A&M’s class was ranked outside of the top 60 — some were wondering if the Aggies were going to be able to follow up last year’s No. 1 class with another elite crop. But in the past eight days, Texas A&M picked up commitments from three top-100 national prospects — five-star linebacker Anthony Hill of Denton (Texas) Ryan, four-star offensive tackle Chase Bisontis of Ramsey (N.J.) Don Bosco Prep and four-star athlete Dalton Brooks of Shiner (Texas) High. Hicks is one of the three top-10 national prospects who has yet to commit, and he’s a five-star defensive tackle from the Houston area. If recent history is a clue, we know how this one is about to turn out. Texas A&M could use another big boom to legitimize itself in the 2023 cycle — if it hasn’t done so already — but Oklahoma seems to be gaining momentum after a weekend visit.

+

7. Five-star TE Duce Robinson

High school: Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle
Ranking: No. 20 overall, No. 1 tight end
Height/weight: 6-6, 225 pounds
Considering: Georgia, USC, Alabama and Texas

The buzz: It’s not often you’ll find a tight end on this list, but I was blown away when I saw Robinson at the Elite 11 Finals (he was one of several prospects at the camp running routes and catching passes from the QBs). He is big, long and a freak athlete. Whoever gets him is going to have a unique weapon in the passing attack. Right now, USC seems to be a favorite in this recruitment given that Phoenix is such a convenient drive to Southern California. But he’s also the type of prospect you could see thriving in the SEC. He has official visits scheduled in the fall for Texas, Georgia and Alabama. This is going to be a fun recruitment to watch play out. Can USC hold off the big boys and land him?

+

8. Four-star CB Javien Toviano

High school: Arlington (Texas) Martin
Ranking: No. 35 overall, No. 4 cornerback
Height/weight: 6-0, 185 pounds
Considering: Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon and Texas A&M

The buzz: Toviano is the top-rated player in the country who isn’t a five-star prospect. This is the type of player Texas needs to land. Texas A&M’s 2023 class has only eight commitments, but it includes five top-100 players. Texas’ class has 20 commitments but only five top-100 players. That ratio obviously favors the Aggies. The Longhorns need to keep pace here while also fending off other top-tier programs. In addition to Texas and Texas A&M, Toviano has visited LSU, Michigan, Baylor and others. Will this be a heated in-state battle or will he leave the Lone Star State?+

+

9. Four-star OLB/edge Tausili Akana

High school: Lehi (Utah) Skyridge
Ranking: No. 69 overall, No. 9 edge rusher
Height/weight: 6-4, 225 pounds
Considering: Oklahoma and LSU

The buzz: If Oklahoma was worried about losing Lincoln Riley, the early returns on Brent Venables have been off the charts. Since the beginning of July, the Sooners have added four players who rank in the top 101 nationally, and their class now has 18 commitments and checks in at No. 7 overall. The most exciting thing about Oklahoma’s class is that it includes a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball along with five-star quarterback Jackson Arnold of Denton (Texas) Guyer. Oklahoma potentially adding a stud linebacker from Utah who can wreak havoc off the edge? That’s something to track.

full text:

National recruiting big board: The 10 most impactful uncommitted 2023 prospects

National recruiting big board: The 10 most impactful uncommitted 2023 prospects
By Ari Wasserman
Aug 1, 2022

It’s been a busy summer. And while a ton of players in the 2023 class have already issued commitments, a large portion of influential prospects are still parsing through their offers. Now is a good time to check in on some of the players most worthy of tracking over the next few months.

This isn’t only about rankings. This is a list of recruits we consider the most “impactful” uncommitted prospects. Impactful can mean a lot of things, from importance to a specific school, a big regional recruit, a trendsetter or simply a prospect who has an interesting recruitment. As players commit and the landscape changes, this list will change, too. Let’s get started.

1. Five-star CB Cormani McClain

High school: Lakeland (Fla.) Lake Gibson
Ranking: No. 3 overall, No. 1 cornerback
Height/weight: 6-2, 165 pounds
Considering: Florida, Miami and Alabama

The buzz: Florida has landed a handful of meaningful commitments recently, most notably from four-star receiver Aidan Mizell of Orlando (Fla.) Boone. Mizell is the No. 72 overall player and the No. 13 receiver in the class — and is currently Billy Napier’s only top-100 player in the 2023 cycle. The Gators are heating up, and there are other big fish high on their board. McClain is the best cornerback in the 2023 cycle. He lives in Florida, and he’s also considering Miami and, you guessed it, Alabama. Though some view Florida as the team with the inside shot, it’s still August and visits are going to happen in the fall. Things are trending in the right direction for Napier right now, but will he be able to beat Saban and in-state rival Mario Cristobal for a truly elite talent? This is recruiting at the big boy level.

2. Five-star edge Matayo Uiagalelei

High school: Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
Ranking: No. 27 overall, No. 4 edge rusher
Height/weight: 6-5, 265 pounds
Considering: Ohio State, Oregon, USC and Alabama

The buzz: Ohio State isn’t used to having a rough month on the recruiting trail, but it hasn’t been smooth sailing of late for the Buckeyes. First, Ohio State missed out on a pair of priority defensive targets in four-star linebacker Tackett Curtis of Many (La.) High (committed to USC) and five-star cornerback Caleb Downs of Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek (committed to Alabama). Then, four-star cornerback Dijon Johnson of Tampa (Fla.) Wharton, the No. 93 overall player in the 2023 class, decommitted over the weekend. Ohio State still has the No. 2 overall class, but the Buckeyes really need some big hitters on defense to close things out. Uiagalelei enjoyed his time in Columbus while on his official visit in June. This is a very important prospect for the Buckeyes.

3. Five-star WR Shelton Sampson Jr.

High school: Baton Rouge (La.) Catholic
Ranking: No. 33 overall, No. 4 wide receiver
Height/weight: 6-4, 181 pounds
Considering: LSU, Florida State, Alabama and Texas A&M

The buzz:  LSU’s 2023 class currently has 17 commitments and ranks No. 10 nationally. Of those 17 commitments, two are ranked in the top 100. Neither of those players is from the state of Louisiana. Though Brian Kelly has put together a solid class in his first cycle leading the Tigers, he has really excelled in the national role that he was in at Notre Dame. But if we know one thing about LSU, it’s that it always — always — butters its bread at home. None of the six national top-100 players in the state of Louisiana have chosen LSU, and four are off the board. LSU needs to do what LSU does and close with Sampson. He’s announcing on Aug. 6.

4. Four-star QB Austin Novosad*

High school: Dripping Springs (Texas) High
Ranking: No. 155 overall, No. 11 quarterback
Height/weight: 6-3, 185 pounds
Considering: Baylor, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Texas A&M

The buzz: Novasad has the asterisk because he’s technically a committed prospect — he pledged to Baylor in December 2021. But his recruitment has exploded over the last two months. He picked up an offer from Ohio State on June 1 and has since received offers from Texas A&M and Notre Dame, two schools he has recently visited. Novosad was one of the more impressive performers at the Elite 11 Finals, and it’s clear he’s one of the best quarterbacks in this cycle. Baylor is hoping it can hold onto him through all the turbulence, and it was no doubt a good sign for the Bears that Ohio State accepted a commitment over the weekend from four-star quarterback Brock Glenn of Memphis (Tenn.) Lausanne Collegiate School. Texas A&M and Notre Dame are still pushing. Novosad is the No. 11 quarterback in the 2023 cycle, and all of the QBs ranked ahead of him are already committed. He has immense value.

5. Five-star DL David Hicks

High school: Katy (Texas) Paetow
Ranking: No. 7 overall, No. 1 defensive lineman
Height/weight: 6-4, 270 pounds
Considering: Texas A&M, Texas, Miami, Michigan State, Oregon, Alabama and Oklahoma

The buzz: A little more than a week ago — when Texas A&M’s class was ranked outside of the top 60 — some were wondering if the Aggies were going to be able to follow up last year’s No. 1 class with another elite crop. But in the past eight days, Texas A&M picked up commitments from three top-100 national prospects — five-star linebacker Anthony Hill of Denton (Texas) Ryan, four-star offensive tackle Chase Bisontis of Ramsey (N.J.) Don Bosco Prep and four-star athlete Dalton Brooks of Shiner (Texas) High. Hicks is one of the three top-10 national prospects who has yet to commit, and he’s a five-star defensive tackle from the Houston area. If recent history is a clue, we know how this one is about to turn out. Texas A&M could use another big boom to legitimize itself in the 2023 cycle — if it hasn’t done so already — but Oklahoma seems to be gaining momentum after a weekend visit.

6. Five-star OL Samson Okunlola

High school: Brockton (Mass.) Thayer Academy
Ranking: No. 14 overall, No. 3 offensive tackle
Height/weight: 6-5, 305 pounds
Considering: Alabama, Michigan State, Miami. Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Oregon and others

The buzz: Okunlola — also known as the “Pancake Honcho” — went on a tour of official visits during the spring where he’d pose for pictures while pouring syrup on a plate of flapjacks. His ability to knock defensive linemen on their butts is the reason he has his nickname, and also the reason he’s a five-star prospect. After his big spring visits tour — which included a stop at Miami — it seemed as though the Hurricanes were in great position. Cristobal, of course, has to own South Florida if he wants to bring “The U” back. But he also has a keen understanding that in order to compete for a national title, he has to go national, too — much like he did at Oregon. Miami’s 2023 class has improved dramatically over the last six weeks, adding five top-100 prospects since June 26. Four of those five are from Florida. Imagine if Cristobal adds this big offensive tackle talent from Massachusetts? That’s the reason he was hired.

7. Five-star TE Duce Robinson

High school: Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle
Ranking: No. 20 overall, No. 1 tight end
Height/weight: 6-6, 225 pounds
Considering: Georgia, USC, Alabama and Texas

The buzz: It’s not often you’ll find a tight end on this list, but I was blown away when I saw Robinson at the Elite 11 Finals (he was one of several prospects at the camp running routes and catching passes from the QBs). He is big, long and a freak athlete. Whoever gets him is going to have a unique weapon in the passing attack. Right now, USC seems to be a favorite in this recruitment given that Phoenix is such a convenient drive to Southern California. But he’s also the type of prospect you could see thriving in the SEC. He has official visits scheduled in the fall for Texas, Georgia and Alabama. This is going to be a fun recruitment to watch play out. Can USC hold off the big boys and land him?

8. Four-star CB Javien Toviano

High school: Arlington (Texas) Martin
Ranking: No. 35 overall, No. 4 cornerback
Height/weight: 6-0, 185 pounds
Considering: Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon and Texas A&M

The buzz: Toviano is the top-rated player in the country who isn’t a five-star prospect. This is the type of player Texas needs to land. Texas A&M’s 2023 class has only eight commitments, but it includes five top-100 players. Texas’ class has 20 commitments but only five top-100 players. That ratio obviously favors the Aggies. The Longhorns need to keep pace here while also fending off other top-tier programs. In addition to Texas and Texas A&M, Toviano has visited LSU, Michigan, Baylor and others. Will this be a heated in-state battle or will he leave the Lone Star State?

9. Four-star OLB/edge Tausili Akana

High school: Lehi (Utah) Skyridge
Ranking: No. 69 overall, No. 9 edge rusher
Height/weight: 6-4, 225 pounds
Considering: Oklahoma and LSU

The buzz: If Oklahoma was worried about losing Lincoln Riley, the early returns on Brent Venables have been off the charts. Since the beginning of July, the Sooners have added four players who rank in the top 101 nationally, and their class now has 18 commitments and checks in at No. 7 overall. The most exciting thing about Oklahoma’s class is that it includes a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball along with five-star quarterback Jackson Arnold of Denton (Texas) Guyer. Oklahoma potentially adding a stud linebacker from Utah who can wreak havoc off the edge? That’s something to track.

10. Four-star CB Dijon Johnson

High school: Tampa (Fla.) Wharton
Ranking: No. 93 overall, No. 10 cornerback
Height/weight: 6-1, 190 pounds
Considering: Florida and Miami

The buzz: Heading into the weekend, Johnson wouldn’t have been on this list. But after decommitting from Ohio State, here he is. And the best part about it? This is going to be another edition of the Florida-Miami in-state battle. For the most part, Miami has gotten the best of the Gators, but this seems to be a nice opportunity for Napier to land his second top-100 player in the 2023 cycle. Picture a world in which the Gators sign McClain and Johnson. Those are the types of results that will make Florida fans feel like things are really on the right track. But if we’ve learned one thing in this cycle: It’s not wise to count Cristobal out.

• Hook 'Em 6

17 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Just call it a difference of opinion. Prior to the start of NIL, we hadn't recruited at a Blueblood level in a long time. Recruiting services are FOS, immoral, money making schemes.

Texas recruited like **** from the mid-80s until nearly the mid-90s for the same reasons.

This idea that Texas is some amazing recruiting machine is exaggerated.

There's very little that separates most of these coaches. Elite talent and depth are the biggest factors in winning games at a Blueblood. Good schemes, especially on offense, can help. Defense is typically about talent, although you can get too cute for your own good.

There's a long list of average coaches who've won national titles in college football. A very long list. They tend to buy the best players year after year. Two of the last three national championship coaches are no better, and maybe worse, than Tom Herman. But their administrations support paying the talent top dollar.

We recruited well in most areas but for whatever reason we continuously struck out -- or didn't prioritize -- on QB's and OL. As you've noticed, these are TWO crucial areas that Sark is hitting hard since coming to Austin. Mack might still be here if he'd done a better job at those two spots.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

We recruited well in most areas but for whatever reason we continuously struck out -- or didn't prioritize -- on QB's and OL. As you've noticed, these are TWO crucial areas that Sark is hitting hard since coming to Austin. Mack might still be here if he'd done a better job at those two spots.

In his PC today he mentioned that he wanted to build from the ground up. Last cycle certainly reflected that. Many big bodies.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If Hill was what A&M needed, Wilson is what Texas needs. I'm not getting my hopes up, but our defense would look totally different with him in it - like 1/11th different at the very least.

The recent OL fucked this up, but I am not falling for Wilson until he steps on campus 

• Hook 'Em 2