Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

20 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

When you fantasize about Arch fucking, how do you think he does it, Sydney? You think he likes it rough? Or do you think he takes his time and fucks gently? Puts on some Marvin Gaye and all that?

I would assume it's obvious to everyone that he sprays it all over the field, sir. 

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Pimpton feels slightly Epps-y to me. The way he moves and run routes reminds me a lot of him. Not sure how much I love the eval, but I trust Jeff Banks to develop him a hell of a lot better than Herman did. 

Fortunately, I don’t think Epps’s problems were due to physical ability. It was a bad mental eval IMO. Hopefully Pimpton is better in that regard.

College kids are not rational, Leinart stayed, Ricky stayed, Peyton stayed, all this before NIL existed.

Today it is potentially rational with NIL you can most definitely match a rookie contract had we been talking Vince in 05 (and he is here to tell them how much he regrets leaving early), With Brady playing into his mid 40s the rational thing for a QB is to set himself up for that kind of success (getting an extra year of that second contract is peanuts). It means learning the game to perfection, whether Sark can sell that to Arch or Ewers is the key to retaining them for more years (and NIL).

14 minutes ago, linux said:

College kids are not rational, Leinart stayed, Ricky stayed, Peyton stayed, all this before NIL existed.

Today it is potentially rational with NIL you can most definitely match a rookie contract had we been talking Vince in 05 (and he is here to tell them how much he regrets leaving early), With Brady playing into his mid 40s the rational thing for a QB is to set himself up for that kind of success (getting an extra year of that second contract is peanuts). It means learning the game to perfection, whether Sark can sell that to Arch or Ewers is the key to retaining them for more years (and NIL).

You think assuming you'll be like Tom Brady is RATIONAL? Is expecting to win the lottery RATIONAL? This is beyond stupid. Your rationale here is that every kid should assume they're going to be the greatest of all time at their position, like Brady, and also the statistical outlier of career length to the point of complete statistical insignificance, and absurdity. And your reasoning for that is that Tom Brady stayed 4 years at Michigian, which is the reason for his success where he "perfected the college game." If by "perfected the college game" you mean he was a mediocre college QB both years he started. 

Feel free to make us the list of players who stayed 4 years in college and DIDN'T become the best player at their position of all time and had 20+ year careers. Fuck it, now tell me the list of players that aren't kickers, punters, or specialty players that had careers of 20+ years. Does George Blanda count? He kicked some at the end, right? Fuck.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's going to be reaaaally close to making him a composite 5*. As usual, Rivals is shitting all over the floor.

Yep. He’s 22, 29, and 39 on the other 3 services while Rivals has him at 122. Hmm I wonder who’s wrong on this one?

I wish 247 or On3 would offer a composite where you can exclude Rivals rankings. They’ve been god awful for years, yet somehow manage to keep getting worse. 

Where Texas commits stand in the updated Top247 rankings

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Hudson Standish

Earlier today 247Sports released its newest Top247 for the Class of 2023. The Top247 is 247Sports' ranking of the top 247 recruits across the country. It — along with the other rankings in the industry — help compile the 247Sports Composite, which takes into account the ranking of each player on each site.

Here is a look at how Texas commits stacked up in the updated Top247. In case you missed it here is a look at where Texas targets rank in the update.

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (LA) Isidore Newman
*Previous ranking: No. 1

*New ranking: No. 1

NOTE: From 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Cooper Petagna “A three-year starter at Isidore Newman in New Orleans, Manning has posted a 25-6 record as a starter, completing more than 65 percent of his passing attempts entering his senior season. It’s also important to note that from an experience standpoint Manning owns the most passing attempts of any quarterback in the Top247. With almost 750 throws in three seasons at the controls of Newman’s offense, there’s no lack of context in evaluating Manning’s ability to play the quarterback position.

With most critics centering on the level of competition the nation’s No. 1 player faces at Louisiana’s 2A / Division III level, Manning’s opposition has not impacted our long-term projection of the New Orleans native.

After evaluating Manning in-person in May, I still favor Manning to the field as I believe he possesses the combination of the most potential and the highest floor of any signal caller in the class. He’s shown uncanny pocket awareness throughout his prep career and consistent ability to make plays on the move. Projecting Manning’s success three to four years ahead is why he maintains poll position this go-around.”

Cedric Baxter, RB, Edgewater (FL)
*Previous ranking: No. 31

*New ranking: No. 29

Johntay Cook II, WR, DeSoto (TX)
*Previous ranking: No. 47

*New ranking: No. 50

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (LA) Westgate
*Previous ranking: No. 54

*New ranking: No. 58

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (TX) Eisenhower
*Previous ranking: No. 57

*New ranking: No. 65

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Killeen (TX) Harker Heights
*Previous ranking: No. 234

*New ranking: No. 231

Two Texas commits dropped out of the Top247 rankings in Arlington Seguin defensive back Jamel Johnson and Kahuku ILB Liona Lefau.

(Someone asked about Malik M ... could just be an unintended omission.) (Edit:  Could be a refresh issue, per Standish.)

Where Texas targets stand in the updated Top247 rankings

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Hudson Standish

Earlier today, 247Sports released its newest Top247 rankings update for the Class of 2023. The Top247 is 247Sports' ranking of the top 247 recruits across the country. It — along with the other rankings in the industry — help compile the 247Sports Composite, which takes into account the ranking of each player on each site.

Here is a look at how Texas targets stacked up in the updated Top247. This article will only focus on targets we believe Texas has an actual shot at landing to close out the 2023 cycle.

In case you missed it, the updated rankings for Texas commits were covered earlier in this article.

Damon Wilson, EDGE, Venice (FL)
*Previous ranking: No. 39

*New ranking: No. 26

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (TX) Ryan
*Previous ranking: No. 35

*New ranking: No. 27

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle
*Previous ranking: No. 29

*New ranking: No. 33

Tausili Akana EDGE, Lehi (UT) Skyridge
*Previous ranking: No. 34

*New ranking: No. 41

NOTE: Akana's father had this to say to 247Sports national recruiting analyst Blair Angulo after his official visit to Texas earlier this year.

“Austin was great, we got the VIP red carpet treatment all the way,” Akana’s father, Brandyn, told 247Sports. “It was a great game versus Alabama and they had multiple chances [to win that game]. Their pitch was they don’t have a player like ’Sili on the team. He will play immediately. They, like everyone else in the country, is looking for a twitchy edge and the Texas staff feels Tausili is the best twitchy edge in the country.”

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (TX) Naaman Forest
*Previous ranking: No. 58

*New ranking: No. 66

DeAndre Moore Jr., WR, Bellflower (CA) St. John Bosco
*Previous ranking: No. 66

*New ranking: No. 77

Javien Toviano, DB, Arlington (TX) Martin
*Previous ranking: No. 62

*New ranking: No. 79

Jelani McDonald, ATH, Waco (TX) Connally
*Previous ranking: No. 202

*New ranking: No. 140

NOTE: Mike spoke with McDonald yesterday after the Oklahoma State commit earned an offer from Texas.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple (TX)
*Previous ranking: No. 167

*New ranking: No. 159

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (TX) Westlake
*Previous ranking: n/a

*New ranking: No. 198

No Texas targets dropped out of the updated Top247 rankings.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hudson Standish

Hide contents

Hudson Standish

Earlier today 247Sports released its newest Top247 for the Class of 2023. The Top247 is 247Sports' ranking of the top 247 recruits across the country. It — along with the other rankings in the industry — help compile the 247Sports Composite, which takes into account the ranking of each player on each site.

Here is a look at how Texas commits stacked up in the updated Top247. In case you missed it here is a look at where Texas targets rank in the update.

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (LA) Isidore Newman
*Previous ranking: No. 1

*New ranking: No. 1

NOTE: From 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Cooper Petagna “A three-year starter at Isidore Newman in New Orleans, Manning has posted a 25-6 record as a starter, completing more than 65 percent of his passing attempts entering his senior season. It’s also important to note that from an experience standpoint Manning owns the most passing attempts of any quarterback in the Top247. With almost 750 throws in three seasons at the controls of Newman’s offense, there’s no lack of context in evaluating Manning’s ability to play the quarterback position.

With most critics centering on the level of competition the nation’s No. 1 player faces at Louisiana’s 2A / Division III level, Manning’s opposition has not impacted our long-term projection of the New Orleans native.

After evaluating Manning in-person in May, I still favor Manning to the field as I believe he possesses the combination of the most potential and the highest floor of any signal caller in the class. He’s shown uncanny pocket awareness throughout his prep career and consistent ability to make plays on the move. Projecting Manning’s success three to four years ahead is why he maintains poll position this go-around.”

Cedric Baxter, RB, Edgewater (FL)
*Previous ranking: No. 31

*New ranking: No. 29

Johntay Cook II, WR, DeSoto (TX)
*Previous ranking: No. 47

*New ranking: No. 50

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (LA) Westgate
*Previous ranking: No. 54

*New ranking: No. 58

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (TX) Eisenhower
*Previous ranking: No. 57

*New ranking: No. 65

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Killeen (TX) Harker Heights
*Previous ranking: No. 234

*New ranking: No. 231

Two Texas commits dropped out of the Top247 rankings in Arlington Seguin defensive back Jamel Johnson and Kahuku ILB Liona Lefau.

(Someone asked about Malik M ... could just be an unintended omission.) (Edit:  Could be a refresh issue, per Standish.)

Hudson Standish

Hide contents

Hudson Standish

Earlier today, 247Sports released its newest Top247 rankings update for the Class of 2023. The Top247 is 247Sports' ranking of the top 247 recruits across the country. It — along with the other rankings in the industry — help compile the 247Sports Composite, which takes into account the ranking of each player on each site.

Here is a look at how Texas targets stacked up in the updated Top247. This article will only focus on targets we believe Texas has an actual shot at landing to close out the 2023 cycle.

In case you missed it, the updated rankings for Texas commits were covered earlier in this article.

Damon Wilson, EDGE, Venice (FL)
*Previous ranking: No. 39

*New ranking: No. 26

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (TX) Ryan
*Previous ranking: No. 35

*New ranking: No. 27

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle
*Previous ranking: No. 29

*New ranking: No. 33

Tausili Akana EDGE, Lehi (UT) Skyridge
*Previous ranking: No. 34

*New ranking: No. 41

NOTE: Akana's father had this to say to 247Sports national recruiting analyst Blair Angulo after his official visit to Texas earlier this year.

“Austin was great, we got the VIP red carpet treatment all the way,” Akana’s father, Brandyn, told 247Sports. “It was a great game versus Alabama and they had multiple chances [to win that game]. Their pitch was they don’t have a player like ’Sili on the team. He will play immediately. They, like everyone else in the country, is looking for a twitchy edge and the Texas staff feels Tausili is the best twitchy edge in the country.”

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (TX) Naaman Forest
*Previous ranking: No. 58

*New ranking: No. 66

DeAndre Moore Jr., WR, Bellflower (CA) St. John Bosco
*Previous ranking: No. 66

*New ranking: No. 77

Javien Toviano, DB, Arlington (TX) Martin
*Previous ranking: No. 62

*New ranking: No. 79

Jelani McDonald, ATH, Waco (TX) Connally
*Previous ranking: No. 202

*New ranking: No. 140

NOTE: Mike spoke with McDonald yesterday after the Oklahoma State commit earned an offer from Texas.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple (TX)
*Previous ranking: No. 167

*New ranking: No. 159

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (TX) Westlake
*Previous ranking: n/a

*New ranking: No. 198

No Texas targets dropped out of the updated Top247 rankings.

finally, one of the pay sites actually does this instead of someone here going through the whole list and writing it out.

3 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

This is why they gave the four game rule without burning a redshirt. He doesn't need any more than that as a true freshman or something's wrong. 

In that rarified air where you get to stack a little talent to learn the game and catch the speed, you also get a few games that are over by halftime and you can let your future QB1 get his feet wet without burning the shirt. I see a future where we are in that pure, clean air, and Bama, LSU, OU, and the tards in Collieville all slip down a little. It is a lovely day dream I have. Come on Sark, you can do it, come on....

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

This is the main point people miss in these discussions, for NFL players it's all about landing that 2nd contract.

This. 

But also, these top draft picks get a ton of endorsements in the NFL as well.  It's not an either/or thing where it's a one for one swap of NIL money vs Salary. 
Trevor Lawrence makes an estimated $3MM per year in endorsements in addition to his salary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

The top 32 (sometimes 33) prospects on 247 will all be 5-stars - regardless of how many stars they are showing right now.  

That’s what I was thinking before I checked the website. I was wondering why they only have fifteen 5 stars. Thanks for the clarification. 

32 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Has 247 changed their composite math yet? First to include ON3 but secondly Bobby mentioned on an offseason pod that they had it tilted to 247s rankings (something like 60/20/20 or 50/25/25). He also said ON3s composite takes all 4 into account at 25% each. 

247 Composite rankings still doesn't factor in ON3 rankings yet?

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Has there been any movement on Warren Roberson since the offer? Heard him mentioned today on the IT pod.

I think he and McDonald have so far been the only senior season eval offers but I could be missing one.

Gerry says they will likely look to the portal for S and not prioritize Roberson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Y'all are forgetting that NIL money will be there for people like Manning and Ewers in the NFL as well. It's not like large brands only want college players. So the NFL contracts are $ on top of what they're already pulling down

The real change will be for those 2nd and 3rd day guys. They're big names in college and can probably command NIL close or equal to their NFL contracts and their NIL opportunities in the NFL dry up

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He made a big jump in the 247 update today.  Went from outside the top 247 to #198.

Has a chance to really impress this weekend against an undefeated Dripping Springs team

28 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

The real change will be for those 2nd and 3rd day guys. They're big names in college and can probably command NIL close or equal to their NFL contracts and their NIL opportunities in the NFL dry up

we had plenty of guys between 2010-2020 who left early because they didn't want to be here anymore, didn't like the coach, weren't having fun, needed the $, or whatever the fuck reason.

unless some big texas company comes forward and writes a check for $25mm, we're not going to keep a top 20 pick at school so y'all should stop getting your hopes up on that.  but it would be nice to keep pick 40-180 types on campus, instead of leaving gaping holes in our defense the following year.  i'm sure someone can put together a comprehensive and depressing list.

and a guy like lil jordan humphrey really could've benefitted from nil being in place when he left, so that sucks.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we had plenty of guys between 2010-2020 who left early because they didn't want to be here anymore, didn't like the coach, weren't having fun, needed the $, or whatever the fuck reason.

unless some big texas company comes forward and writes a check for $25mm, we're not going to keep a top 20 pick at school so y'all should stop getting your hopes up on that.  but it would be nice to keep pick 40-180 types on campus, instead of leaving gaping holes in our defense the following year.  i'm sure someone can put together a comprehensive and depressing list.

and a guy like lil jordan humphrey really could've benefitted from nil being in place when he left, so that sucks.

I think they already recruit  with that scenario in mind.  The teams that recruit to a 3 year cycle for the 5* types and know how to use the portal will be successful. 
I think we did a pretty good job of that last year. 

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Exactly, the guys who are lower on the draft boards, have a real possibility of being a UDFA, and don't mind not smoking weed 24/7 would benefit here

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  For example, Whittington would be a prime candidate, although everyone seems to think he’s just decided he’s going pro no matter what.  

The first round pick who comes back to school is almost always going to be someone who makes that decision for non-financial reasons (like Manning, Leinart or Andrew Luck).  The only examples of guys I can think of who were high picks that actually might have made more money from corporate sponsors in college combined with boosters enticing them to stay are Tebow and Manziel.  Tebow, of course, didn’t even leave early, but he and Manziel had actual value to sponsors for various reasons that was much more valuable as big man on campus than questionable pro QB prospect, plus they had cultish fan followings who would have mortgaged their houses to have them back for Florida and aggy.

Guys like Vince and Cam Newton would have had boosters raising a ton of money to bring then back to school, but they still would have made more going pro by virtue of being much more highly regarded pro prospects.

Tebow and Manziel were both 1st rounders, albeit later. That's still a hard argument. Additionally, Tebow LITERALLY played all 4 years of college. Manziel was obviously done with college after his third year, down to shit talking living in CS during the football season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  For example, Whittington would be a prime candidate, although everyone seems to think he’s just decided he’s going pro no matter what.  

The first round pick who comes back to school is almost always going to be someone who makes that decision for non-financial reasons (like Manning, Leinart or Andrew Luck).  The only examples of guys I can think of who were high picks that actually might have made more money from corporate sponsors in college combined with boosters enticing them to stay are Tebow and Manziel.  Tebow, of course, didn’t even leave early, but he and Manziel had actual value to sponsors for various reasons that was much more valuable as big man on campus than questionable pro QB prospect, plus they had cultish fan followings who would have mortgaged their houses to have them back for Florida and aggy.

Guys like Vince and Cam Newton would have had boosters raising a ton of money to bring them back to school, but they still would have made more going pro by virtue of being much more highly regarded pro prospects (and by virtue of their marketability being based on how good they were at football, whereas Tebow and Manziel were primarily marketable for other factors that didn’t require them to try to prove they were good at football at the highest level).

Whittington’s not a good example. With his injury history, he absolutely needs to declare after this year if he plays a full season. Coming back next year and getting injured would really hurt his draft stock. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Whittington’s not a good example. With his injury history, he absolutely needs to declare after this year if he plays a full season. Coming back next year and getting injured would really hurt his draft stock. 

I haven't read any mock drafts and don't care about the NFL other than watching who gets picked up where, so I didn't realize Whittington had draft stock. Where is he being rated? I think he'd do okay at the combine outside of the quickness measurements. He's got good hands and he's a terrific blocked, but he doesn't provide value on special teams, has an injury history, and his size and speed aren't crazy. Is he considered a great route runner? I guess I hadn't thought about that.

I've always assumed he'd be UDFA or a 6th-7th rounder. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I haven't read any mock drafts and don't care about the NFL other than watching who gets picked up where, so I didn't realize Whittington had draft stock. Where is he being rated? I think he'd do okay at the combine outside of the quickness measurements. He's got good hands and he's a terrific blocked, but he doesn't provide value on special teams, has an injury history, and his size and speed aren't crazy. Is he considered a great route runner? I guess I hadn't thought about that.

His draft stock is low right now, but if he can play all year and have good production, that combined with his athleticism and recruiting pedigree will at least get him drafted. If he comes back next year, he still won’t be the first option on the team and if he gets hurt again, he’s probably not getting drafted. 

It’s also notable that his numbers with Quinn are way better than Card. His best games are 7-64 against Bama and 5-97 against OU. I believe 5 or 6 of his catches in the Bama game were on the first two drives with Quinn playing. So his numbers will probably be a lot better by the end of the season with Ewers. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Kielan Robinson is a better example. Most believe this is his last year currently as he is dead set on the NFL and thinks he can contribute on special teams for his career at a minimum. Could NIL change that decision, couple with a "return to school" draft grade, guess we will find out

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

yeah, the other thing about whittington is that he's not a "you know, another year at school would really help his draft stock" type of dude.  who he is now is who he'll likely be later.  if he's healthy and thinks he can go make some money, it's probably the smart move.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jackson Jeffcoat was a five-star recruit, the best defensive end in all of college football as a senior, put up great combine numbers, and still went undrafted because of his pectoral tears. Whittington has a tall hill to climb this year to get into the draft.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Jackson Jeffcoat was a five-star recruit, the best defensive end in all of college football as a senior, put up great combine numbers, and still went undrafted because of his pectoral tears. Whittington has a tall hill to climb this year to get into the draft.

JJs issue was that he was a tweener and his production/effort against the run was shitty. He wasn’t the most athletic guy to make up for his lack of size either. 
He’s doing well in the CFL and still didn’t get another shot in the league for a reason. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This shit is dumb. 

The plan is and always has been 
Ewers - 2022-23, 2023-24
Arch - 2024-25 and beyond 
As for the rest, Card will transfer out after this year and play two years at Houston or SMU, Maalik will battle with Arch in 24-25 and leave if he loses. Need the 2025 QB to be a stud to continue this trend  

Or Maalik stays for his 5th year in Sarks system after Arch leaves and balls out like Mac Jones.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1