Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

25 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Listening to Ketch's Monday night livestream. He says that Malik Muhammad has looked so good in the Under Armour ASG practices that the national Rivals guys are considering bumping him up to a 5-star. Rivals is also considering bumping Johntay Cook to a 5-star. Based on these practices they think Cook is just as good & equal to 5-star USC Signee WR Zachariah Branch

That would be incredible - Branch has insane stop/start and change of direction - and if Cook is his equal in these practices he definitely deserves that 5th star.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Holy shit. It feels like Owen's just ousted aggy for still paying players under the table rather than legitimate NIL deals.

SmartSelect_20230102_182055_Chrome.jpg

imagine being a 5* recruit.

one of the top recruits in Texas.

#1 RB in the country in the composite.

you have taken OVs to A&M, TCU and were committed to Louisville for a long time. you took UOVs to Michigan State, Alabama, LSU and Texas. all of them talked to you about their NIL programs, fairly extensively in the case of some of those schools.

...after hearing about NIL that many times from that many schools and that many different people explaining it different ways you say out loud...in pubic that don't understand NIL.

sounds like you weren't paying attention at all. even the minimum about.

Ignore Golden Retriever GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Listening to Ketch's Monday night livestream. He says that Malik Muhammad has looked so good in the Under Armour ASG practices that the national Rivals guys are considering bumping him up to a 5-star. Rivals is also considering bumping Johntay Cook to a 5-star. Based on these practices they think Cook is just as good & equal to 5-star USC Signee WR Zachariah Branch

for what it's worth Branch is #16 overall and the #3 WR in the country at Rivals vs Cook at 30 and 5.

Muhammad is #34 in the state and #5 at the position. for him to jump up to 5* territory he would probably need to match Javien Toviano at #25 overall and #3 at the position.

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

and Sydir Mitchell should be a high 4 star in the .95-.96 range.

its pretty strange that he was so high on UGA's list and still has such a strange ranking. unranked by rivals and 247. just outside top 200 at On3 and then ESPN has him as the #72 player in the country.

image.thumb.png.7572a7c782e4d1d021bd04feadc667b4.png

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

its pretty strange that he was so high on UGA's list and still has such a strange ranking. unranked by rivals and 247. just outside top 200 at On3 and then ESPN has him as the #72 player in the country.

image.thumb.png.7572a7c782e4d1d021bd04feadc667b4.png

I think it is because he projects as more of a run stuffing DT right now. They tend to over-rate smaller and quicker DTs that show more pass rush. Georgia understands the value of a guy that can keep your LBs clean and push the pocket. Recruiting guys dont. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nothing strange about rivals being dog shit at recruit rankings and evaluations.

I present you TJ Shanahan.

image.png.db2771aa0847bf754ea7ce4e761f894e.png

yeah, he's been discussed a huge number of times in this thread and i have literally posted this exact screenshot in this exact thread before.

i am aware, i just don't give a fuck about TJ Shanahan

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, he's been discussed a huge number of times in this thread and i have literally posted this exact screenshot in this exact thread before.

i am aware, i just don't give a fuck about TJ Shanahan

It was more about how shitty rivals is as a recruiting company now days. Even dog shit ESPN is superior.

FWIW - Deandre Moore was supposed to participate in the All American Bowl  this week but Joe Cook (IT) is reporting that Moore never made it to San Antonio.

The following players are in the Under Armor game today:

– RB Cedric Baxter
– WR Johntay Cook
– DL Sydir Mitchell
– CB Malik Muhammad
– S Derek Williams

Players below are scheduled to participate in the All American Bowl:

– WR Ryan Niblett
– WR DeAndre Moore Jr.
– OL Payton Kirkland
– Edge Tausili Akana
– LB Anthony Hill

*Jelani McDonald has already signed with a team and will announce at this game.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is because he projects as more of a run stuffing DT right now. They tend to over-rate smaller and quicker DTs that show more pass rush. Georgia understands the value of a guy that can keep your LBs clean and push the pocket. Recruiting guys dont. 

This is the correct answer. Every so often, a DT comes along that can hold up against the run and get QB pressure using quickness. But, most of the time, it is better to have a guy who can hold his run lane and get pressure right up through the run lane on passing downs. That isn't very sexy for analysts who like to see quickness based sacks in one on one drills.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Deandre Moore was supposed to participate in the All American Bowl  this week but Joe Cook (IT) is reporting that Moore never made it to San Antonio.

The following players are in the Under Armor game today:

– RB Cedric Baxter
– WR Johntay Cook
– DL Sydir Mitchell
– CB Malik Muhammad
– S Derek Williams

Players below are scheduled to participate in the All American Bowl:

– RB Cedric Baxter
– WR Johntay Cook
– DL Sydir Mitchell
– CB Malik Muhammad
– S Derek Williams

*Jelani McDonald has already signed with a team and will announce at this game.

Apparently those 5 love to play football games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NoName said:

imagine being a 5* recruit.

one of the top recruits in Texas.

#1 RB in the country in the composite.

you have taken OVs to A&M, TCU and were committed to Louisville for a long time. you took UOVs to Michigan State, Alabama, LSU and Texas. all of them talked to you about their NIL programs, fairly extensively in the case of some of those schools.

...after hearing about NIL that many times from that many schools and that many different people explaining it different ways you say out loud...in pubic that don't understand NIL.

sounds like you weren't paying attention at all. even the minimum about.

Ignore Golden Retriever GIF

Not to defend Flake Owens, but he chose a&m. And while it is extremely likely he got a vastly different "NIL program" pitch from every school there, I can guarantee you that he got a VASTLY different pitch and NIL explanation from the school he finally chose to attend, Texas A&M. So yeah, there's a world where I can see a not overly bright 17 year old being confused AF about NIL. I don't think some people in our Athletic Department understood it until about 4 months ago when it was beaten into their collective consciousness by a bunch of rowdy fans moonlighting in the non-profit space and some other smart and wealthy alums. 

But I digress. Let me tell you a real warning sign he got different confusing pitches, particularly from the school he chose: "Six figures is on the table." On the fucking table? Does that imply he has to achieve certain benchmarks to get more money? Because unless he's talking about the number of appearances he needs to make at Harvey Washbangers as his "benchmarks" then he's already doing something fucking illegal in regards to NIL. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Between this news (if true) and the unexpected delay in obtaining DeAndre Moore's NLI, there maybe something to watching with this kid moving forward. Hope he doesn't become overly flaky.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'd be careful in calling that woman Toxic. She was instrumental in getting him to sign here from aTm, and had enough integrity during the recruiting process to put her fucking foot down on aTm shenanigans. 

i said Toxic based on what was going on in the twitter space I was listening too. Have no idea how she interacts with anyone else on twitter (i don't follow her).  Maybe she was just frustrated and was taking it out on Marion, Worthy and Evan Stewart.. i'll tread lightly with my words

49 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Between this news (if true) and the unexpected delay in obtaining DeAndre Moore's NLI, there maybe something to watching with this kid moving forward. Hope he doesn't become overly flaky.

I think there is plausibility that him no-showing the all-star game had to do with flight cancellations over the holidays

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

for what it's worth Branch is #16 overall and the #3 WR in the country at Rivals vs Cook at 30 and 5.

Muhammad is #34 in the state and #5 at the position. for him to jump up to 5* territory he would probably need to match Javien Toviano at #25 overall and #3 at the position.

Easy Fix... Toviano has looked more safety like in reps (e.g getting beat 1:1), so swap his ranking with Muhammad's