T Boone dead at 91

CycleTex87

How classic does it get? This idiot didn't know Pickens was "an aggy" but knew him well enough to know he felt love for A&M, and anger toward Texas.

FYI - Oscar Wyatt also went to A&M and neither he, nor Pickens, will bequeath a dime to "their beloved military institution."

Pickens' body isn't yet cold and the rednecks who Pickens shunned are already rewriting his life's story.

When Pickens was still running Mesa, David Batchelder was one of BP's key guys. Another Okie Lite alum and a lifelong associate. I will be interested in hearing what David has to say about BP's passing.

Didn't realize he spent 1 year at A&M on the basketball team and they did not renew his scholarship. So he left of Okie Lite! I believe he still had some degree of love for A&M. He was really angry when we left the Big 12. He believe we all needed to stay together. He was angry with t.u. as well for causing the realignment process

RIP Mr. Pickens

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Also, quick read from his wikipedia leads me to believe he probably left most of the money to oSu.

Pickens had four biological children and one adopted daughter.[76] As of 2007, Pickens had twelve grandchildren.[2] In 2007, Pickens' son Michael O. Pickens of Nocona, Texas was sentenced to probation for a penny stock trading scheme and entered drug rehabilitation afterward, emerging in March 2008.[81][82][83][84][85][86] In October 2012, Michael, then 58 years old, began blogging under the title "5 Days In Connecticut."[87] In the blog, he made a number of allegations about his family, including that his drug addiction stemmed from physical abuse by his father, T. Boone Pickens. He also claimed his siblings stole from their mother and were addicted to drugs; and that his father sabotaged a family member's business. Pickens and three of his children – Elizabeth Cordia, Pamela Pickens and Thomas B. Pickens III – subsequently filed a lawsuit against Michael.[88][89][90] They alleged libel, invasion of privacy and extortion via cyberbullying and cyberstalking. The plaintiffs said the blog was part of an effort to extort $20 million from Pickens.[91] In January 2013, Pickens' 21-year-old grandson Thomas "Ty" Boone Pickens IV died from a heroin overdose.[92][93] Ty, the son of Thomas B. Pickens III, was a student at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas.[94]

succession_season_1_roy_family_1920.0.jp

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

How long did it take before the thread on the Oklahoma State forum (wherever that is) asked about the details of his will?

I hope it was longer than that guy above me.

3 hours and 44 posts and nothing yet.  Unless you count this:    It would not surprise me at all if there were some sort of very large donation to the University upon his death. OSU owes him plenty and he certainly doesn’t owe OSU anything additional but it would not surprise me if he did it anyway! The man loved OSU like few others!

One of the articles said he "only" has a net worth of $500 million since he's given most of it away.  

Just now, Go Pokes said:

3 hours and 44 posts and nothing yet.  Unless you count this:    It would not surprise me at all if there were some sort of very large donation to the University upon his death. OSU owes him plenty and he certainly doesn’t owe OSU anything additional but it would not surprise me if he did it anyway! The man loved OSU like few others!

One of the articles said he "only" has a net worth of $500 million since he's given most of it away.  

to his exes

32 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

A man with that kind of money picks Pampa for his palace? I don't get it. Flat, hot and cold. Lots of rattlesnakes. Guess he couldn't afford White Deer.

Pampa isn’t all that bad when you have 70,000 acres and build whatever the fuck you want.  And have jets that can take you to any FBO in Texas really fast. 

Pampa would suck if you worked at Allsups and lived on a 5000 foot lot. 

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Wouldn't  surprise me if he offed himself, he was almost broke. 

When we were in law school in Lubbock we went up to visit my father in law who was up there rebuilding some kind of refinery that had blowed up real big. It was thanksgiving and it was colder than a well diggers ass. I mean cold, and the wind was relentless. But, as stated, if you can pick out the private jet best suited to the particular flight plan, then it doesn't much matter where you depart from. 

9 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You’ve obviously never been to Dumas

Stinnette? Booker? Canadian? White Deer? Follette? Higgins? 

Dumas is the big city.

I remember going up 207 one time, Borger-Spearman-Perryton, when a fire truck was doing 55 with its lights on. The only time I ever passed an emergency vehicle with its light on. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Pickens lived in Amarillo for years when he ran Mesa. Obviously, he enjoyed living in the panhandle.

Because he was richer than everyone else there, and liked being able to strong-arm the newspaper, his church, etc.

Not that I'd know anything about either of those things from bitter personal experience.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

CNBC had a nice tribute to "Boone". 

Married 5 times... DAMN!!

RIP🙏🙏🙏 

His third wife, Nelda Cain Pickens, was a junior Cheerleader my senior year in high school (1965, W W Samuell, Dallas.)  I only casually knew her (not the same circles) and haven't seen or talked to her since. Two siblings made good, as her sister Nancy married Jeffrey Marcus, of the Nieman Marcus family. Upper atmosphere society for a couple of lower middle class SE Dallas girls.

1 minute ago, abuelo gringo said:

His third wife, Nelda Cain Pickens, was a junior Cheerleader my senior year in high school (1965, W W Samuell, Dallas.)  I only casually knew her (not the same circles) and haven't seen or talked to her since. Two siblings made good, as her sister Nancy married Jeffrey Marcus, of the Nieman Marcus family. Upper atmosphere society for a couple of lower middle class SE Dallas girls.

Took Nelda a few tries.  I was in high school with her son, who was born shortly after her graduation from Samuell.  His name was Jones, and that might have been another classmate of yours.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Took Nelda a few tries.  I was in high school with her son, who was born shortly after her graduation from Samuell.  His name was Jones, and that might have been another classmate of yours.

I think so -- football player from my class. Not sure as I was in Austin by August of 1965 and never again lived in Big D.

Checked Texas births on Ancestry.com.  Yes, his father was a football player in WWS class of '65.

Edited by abuelo gringo
added info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Pampa isn’t all that bad when you have 70,000 acres and build whatever the fuck you want.  And have jets that can take you to any FBO in Texas really fast. 

Pampa would suck if you worked at Allsups and lived on a 5000 foot lot. 

In my formative years I flew freight into Pampa because it was the UPS sort center for that part of the Panhandle and north. At that time T.Boone was trying to decide between building a hangar at Pampa’s airport or building an airport at his ranch. Obviously he did the latter complete with fuel truck and de ice equipment. 

Dick Cheney flew in to go hunting with him. The secret service tapped all the phones, and completely updated the phone and computer systems which they graciously left in place when they left. There were two crews on a rotating 24 shift set to go pick up Cheney in a Black Hawk if the shit hit the fan. I just recall the government boys trying to fit in dudded up in Western Wear and driving brand new F150’s with government plates. 

Saw TB and his plane a fair amount, but never interacted with him. Put a lot of miles on the track around Harvester Field, and found Pampa greatly preferable to Borger and Vernon.  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

19 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

I think so -- football player from my class. Not sure as I was in Austin by August of 1965 and never again lived in Big D.

Checked Texas births on Ancestry.com.  Yes, his father was a football player in WWS class of '65.

And Rod was a tailback at SMU.  And following mama's footsteps, married a fancy NY gal, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Heard he had a little getaway place in Pampa.  Place to relax and unwind....

mesa-vista-024.jpgmesa-vista-044.jpgmesa-vista-048.jpgmesa-vista-049.jpg

"Little bitch-ass jets WAIT OUTSIDE.  Ballers only in the hangar!"

Not even the Falcons get inside, just the Gulfstreams.  Wow.  Quite the collection...guess he used the King Air to get from the hangar to the house   

He absolutely did revolutionize the level of competition OSU (my undergrad alma mater) was able to offer.  The old house with a hole in the kitchen floor I lived in is gone, replaced by the indoor practice facility.  Rustoleum (aka Lewis Field) Stadium is a distant memory...that place would have landed us in the SWAC had real realignment occurred.  There were also academic improvements   

Im incredibly grateful to the man.  The fact he’s being buried at Karsten Creek is hugely telling.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

Ok, I'm curious now. What year did Armybrat graduate high school?

16 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

He’s talked openly about leaving a chunk of money to the school in his will. During our endowment campaign he was encouraging other rich alums to leave money for the school in their wills. And on the only OSU message board I visit there wasn’t any talk about it. He gave during his life to see the stadium rebuilt and the team be competitive. Whatever he leaves will likely be for academics.