T Boone dead at 91

CycleTex87

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why the fuck did he go to osu? Wasnt he from texas?

Born in Oklahoma. Read above about his aggy spurn. 

Also, quick read from his wikipedia leads me to believe he probably left most of the money to oSu. 

Pickens had four biological children and one adopted daughter.[76] As of 2007, Pickens had twelve grandchildren.[2] In 2007, Pickens' son Michael O. Pickens of Nocona, Texas was sentenced to probation for a penny stock trading scheme and entered drug rehabilitation afterward, emerging in March 2008.[81][82][83][84][85][86] In October 2012, Michael, then 58 years old, began blogging under the title "5 Days In Connecticut."[87] In the blog, he made a number of allegations about his family, including that his drug addiction stemmed from physical abuse by his father, T. Boone Pickens. He also claimed his siblings stole from their mother and were addicted to drugs; and that his father sabotaged a family member's business. Pickens and three of his children – Elizabeth Cordia, Pamela Pickens and Thomas B. Pickens III – subsequently filed a lawsuit against Michael.[88][89][90] They alleged libel, invasion of privacy and extortion via cyberbullying and cyberstalking. The plaintiffs said the blog was part of an effort to extort $20 million from Pickens.[91] In January 2013, Pickens' 21-year-old grandson Thomas "Ty" Boone Pickens IV died from a heroin overdose.[92][93] Ty, the son of Thomas B. Pickens III, was a student at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas.[94]

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why the fuck did he go to osu? Wasnt he from texas?

See above. He was aggy, until aggy aggy'd it up.

Also, while this isn't a sad moment, per se, it is worth speaking well enough of the dead to at least say I'm glad he made the Big XII more interesting, because he certainly did. Oklahoma State not sucking most of the time has made for some quality competition. I have hated every single loss to the pokes ever, in any sport, but it's better than being in a conference with aggy by a long country mile.

• Like 7

As a Presbyian by birth, this quote by T. Boone cracked me up:

"Dad told me, 'Before you try to get into heaven, get back into the Methodist church. You won't be viewed as favorably as you think in heaven if you show up as a Presbyterian,' " Pickens said at the dedication of the T. Boone Pickens Hospice and Palliative Care Center owned by Presbyterian Communities. "So this will be my last gift to Presbyterians. I've now moved over to Methodist. So I'm prepared to go."

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

How long did it take before the thread on the Oklahoma State forum (wherever that is) asked about the details of his will?

I hope it was longer than that guy above me.

if you are like me, it was the first thing you thought of when you read the title of the thread.

19 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

See above. He was aggy, until aggy aggy'd it up.

Also, while this isn't a sad moment, per se, it is worth speaking well enough of the dead to at least say I'm glad he made the Big XII more interesting, because he certainly did. Oklahoma State not sucking most of the time has made for some quality competition. I have hated every single loss to the pokes ever, in any sport, but it's better than being in a conference with aggy by a long country mile.

MaleEarnestIriomotecat.0.gif

Instead of going North or South after he croaked, I hope his soul spends eternity traversing purgatory from East to West. 

• Like 1

I've never been the biggest Boone fan, but I'll certainly acknowledge that his big donations completely and utterly transformed our athletic department.

I don't know if some of you guys remember what our football stadium was like when the Big 12 first started, but it was BAD.  Like most 5A Texas high school stadiums - even back in the mid 1990s - were better.

And that's just the football stadium.  The rest of the facilities weren't much better and the support facilities were complete shit.  When I was a student at OSU, I wrote for our school paper for a few years and I was always amazed (even back then) how completely underwhelming (read: bad) all of the interior of the athletics facilities were, from the weight rooms to the coaches' offices.

And here we were trying to compete with OU, Texas, Texas A&M, etc., with two arms tied behind our backs.

The combination of his donations, plus elevating Mike Holder to AD and then his subsequent arm-twisting of other big OSU donors have given us athletic facilities across the board that is on par with the best in the country.  The latest is our new baseball stadium that's nearing completion and will be a top 5 college baseball facility in the country.

He's also given a shit-ton of money to OSU on the academics side - almost as much as athletics - for what that's worth.

• Like 5

He gave as much, and I think actually more, to academics than athletics at OSU. He gave $100M to UT Southwestern and a chunk of money to Texas Women's University to found a cancer center. More millions here and there and his legacy will be as much about how much he gave as how much he made. He was always a character too, which is what I'll miss. RIP Boone, thanks for everything.

• Like 4