Fort Worth Police Kill Woman Inside Her Own Home

Vic Mackey

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Your request is declined.  The culture of American law enforcement, specifically including FW law enforcement, created this cop.  You don't get to disown him and run away from your role in creating this mess.

And that is the issue with this shit. Cops and the Back The Blue crowd keeps harping on this "one bad apple" argument. Fuck that. Cops and the system harbor their behavior and they cover for dirty cops and have been forever now. You have a fucking judge giving a murderer a hug after the trial. They all look after each other. The murders are the worst but that is not even close to the only way these cops are dirty. They are dirty all over on an everyday basis and they turn a blind eye and accept that behavior. You are not a good cop if you let that shit slide. But cops will never go against another cop. That is why this shit keeps going on. No cop wants to step out of line and speak up even if they want to. They will be blackballed from that fraternity forever. And cops play by different rules in the justice system. They do this shit knowing nothing much will happen. So fuck your one bad apple bullshit.

• Like 1

Denton County SO shot a man in the back in September. They claimed he pointed a weapon at the deputy, but he was shot in the back. They still haven't released his name and refuse to comply with public information requests. Nothing suspicious about this at all.

In fatal Sanger shooting, Denton County sheriff again holds back deputy’s name

The Denton County Sheriff’s Office is refusing to name the deputy who shot and killed Kristopher Adams last week near Sanger, a move to withhold public information that has become routine for this agency.

Police reports are public records. On those reports are the names of officers (or deputies) who handle the specific incident — in this case, a deputy shooting and killing a man. But the sheriff’s office is refusing to provide that public information in this case, as it has done in others.

“That comes up all the time because the officer’s name would be on the front sheet of the offense report normally,” Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas attorney Bill Aleshire said Thursday. “I’ve seen police [agencies] just defy the law and withhold an officer’s name — and there is no legal excuse for doing it.”

https://dentonrc.com/news/in-fatal-sanger-shooting-denton-county-sheriff-again-holds-back/article_92b2891c-2b55-5cc6-b64b-db0688aaca08.html

I've been sick to my stomach about this situation, but blaming it on the city of Fort Worth and saying their people deserve this or are somehow to blame is absurd.  And turning it into some city vs. city debate is in bad taste.  I must be getting old, but it's been, what, about a week or two since a Dallas cop was sent to jail for 10 years for something equally if not more egregious?  Tell me more about how much more progressive Dallas is!

Yes, Fort Worth is a little more conservative than other Texas cities.  But this is a nationwide epidemic of a broken police and justice system that needs to be addressed.  I'm sorry one or two of you sat in a restaurant in Fort Worth once and saw too many white people for your comfort level.  

• Like 2

I was playing golf a year or so ago with a couple buddies at the 9 hole at Lockhart State Park. 3 or 4 holes in, the game warden assigned to the park rolls up in a cart in olive fatigues, boots and an AR15 and wants to know if we've been consuming beer on the course, which is against the rules.

Golfers with beers. Serious business.

I was playing golf a year or so ago with a couple buddies at the 9 hole at Lockhart State Park. 3 or 4 holes in, the game warden assigned to the park rolls up in a cart in olive fatigues, boots and an AR15 and wants to know if we've been consuming beer on the course, which is against the rules.

I, on the other hand, would have issued you a stern warning if you had been playing WITHOUT drinking beer.
Don’t make me come back here and issue a formal citation.
  • Like 2

That wasn’t an AR15. It was an M4. At least according to the local gW.

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

I've been sick to my stomach about this situation, but blaming it on the city of Fort Worth and saying their people deserve this or are somehow to blame is absurd.  And turning it into some city vs. city debate is in bad taste.  I must be getting old, but it's been, what, about a week or two since a Dallas cop was sent to jail for 10 years for something equally if not more egregious?  Tell me more about how much more progressive Dallas is!

Yes, Fort Worth is a little more conservative than other Texas cities.  But this is a nationwide epidemic of a broken police and justice system that needs to be addressed.  I'm sorry one or two of you sat in a restaurant in Fort Worth once and saw too many white people for your comfort level.  

The debate started concerning the relative likelihood of vigorous prosecution and conviction by the Tarrant County DA and a Tarrant County jury.

I think a Tarrant County jury is less likely to convict a cop.  Everything else works backward from there. 

Brisket's the one that has to extrapolate everything negative going on into this city/county/state/country doesn't deserve to exist anymore.

The debate started concerning the relative likelihood of vigorous prosecution and conviction by the Tarrant County DA and a Tarrant County jury.
I think a Tarrant County jury is less likely to convict a cop.  Everything else works backward from there. 
Brisket's the one that has to extrapolate everything negative going on into this city/county/state/country doesn't deserve to exist anymore.

Naaah. I mean, some bad stuff has happened in Kermit, I’m sure, but they can keep on existing.
Rankin, though...I’ve got my eye on them.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

That's the main reason we go golfing

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

I see what both of you are saying BUT ... we've just gone through a page or so discussing how segregated FW is. The cop knew damn sure where he was geographically, in the middle of a predominantly (if not completely) black neighborhood. Therefore there's a likely chance his "Spidey Sense" was fully activated since he was -- perhaps in his mind -- behind enemy lines. Just my two cents. Probably much different if he'd been checking out a house in Rivercrest.

This right her is spot on. 

On 10/15/2019 at 2:31 AM, Lobo said:

^

bullshit.  He walks on a lesser charge.  Or gets convicted on murder and does 10 years, tops.  

Cops are demonstrably pussies. I think even 10 years is enough to get some to quit the force, and others to never go to the academy, because any accountability is too much. 

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The immediate body cam release will taint the tarrant county jury pool. Motion will be filed to move to Parker county where the fine, open minded white people of azle and springtown will adjudicate the officer. 

• Like 1

I stand corrected. Please enlighten us as to the pros/cons of each (AR15 vs M4) as they specifically pertain to golfers. Golfers on a golf course, playing golf, drinking beer. Unarmed white boys. Lockhart, TX.

I was just stating it wasn’t an AR15. Not sure why the GW is doing anything on a golf course. Seems like it would be a waste of time

11 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I know the meaning of these individual words, but I can't comprehend the sentence.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Serious business. Hunt out of season and you become the prey. 

Why are game wardens enforcing drinking laws on golf courses anyway?

$$$$$$ and because golfers area a dangerous lot.  ever see the damage golfers can do with a 1 iron?  broken house windows are expensive!

Edited by crash_davis

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

$$$$$$ and because golfers area a dangerous lot.  ever see the damage golfers can do with a 1 iron?  broken house windows are expensive!

As a crap golfer myself, I have found I do more damage sober. A couple of beers and I can keep the ball mostly going in the right direction. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 8:32 PM, George said:

So is it safe to assume the dude quit because he was going to be forced to answer IA questions and was going to be charged either way? Now he can just lawyer up and take his chances with a jury?

im sure that same texas ranger who said Guyger shouldn’t even face charges will be happy to testify that he was justified in spraying bullets into a dark house. 

Yes, he has to cooperate or be fired . But his statement cannot be used against him at trial.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:03 PM, bschoolprof said:

Can the law dogs comment of how him being on duty affects the murder case?  I feel very well informed about the legal definition of murder from the Guyger case (thanks!), but surely the cop will raise some defense related to being on duty and fearful for his life or some bullshit.  How does officer-in-the-line-of-duty affect the legal defense here?  

There are use of force laws in Chapter 9 of the Penal Code that apply to peace officers only. I cut and paste them into this thread later

On 10/14/2019 at 10:06 PM, Bama Chick said:

Texas lawdogs - is a $200,00 bail for murder low? High? About normal?

And I hope (hahahahahahaha) that an outside agency will be running the investigation.

I would have said the Texas Rangers but after the testimony given by that Ranger in the Guyger trial, I’m not that confident in them either.

035b86d711472f9adf85d78c4943371a.jpg

Reasonable. Maybe even high under the circumstances. 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Most of the are shitty shots, particularly under stress. Plenty only shoot during yearly qualifications.

Everyone is a bad shot when under acute stress 

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  The inherent community bias and jury pool ain't in favor of justice for white cops.

That said, I also think that the city and PD are going to do all they can to throw this individual cop under the bus -- why?  Because they want to make it look like this is one bad cop.  They do NOT want people digging in to the real history and culture of the FWPD and Tarrant County in general, because the truth out there, in the light of day....will be REALLY ugly.  The powers that be are going to try every gambit possible to keep the culture of the FWPD from becoming public/national knowledge.  They'll probably succeed.

So, I think this guy will likely be convicted, because the PD will WANT him to be convicted.  Because it's in their interest to distance themselves from him.  Some semblance of "justice" may be done with respect to this one cop.  But it will be done to avoid any justice being done with respect to the department that regularly produces officers like him.

Exactly. Hers on his own now.

22 hours ago, DigDug said:

Does anyone know if they record the dispatchers and what they tell cops on the street?  

If the dispatcher told him something other than a wellness check or added some language about crimes in that neighborhood, they may somehow try to use that in his defense.

There are call notes at a minimum. Displayed to officers as they go to the scene.

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The way to look at bail is that a bail bond will cost 10% of the bail amount.  

It's true purpose is to put enough skin in the game to insure a defendant's appearance at trial.  A secondary and less legitimate purpose is to keep the dangerous behind bars pending trial (it's illegitiimate because if a person is too dangerous to be released, they shouldn't be granted bail at all).

That's probably a reasonable bail.

The above is correct.

21 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If she was a "tough on crime" judge and then put someone away for 5 years for illegal voting, wouldn't that indicate she's likely to prosecute this case aggressively? 

As to the murderer, I'm sure he won't testify that he shot through the window with the intent to kill (like Guyger), but I'd be absolutely shocked if he walks. 

With only one shot, he may claim it was NOT intentional (like a reaction to being startled) and try to get a charge for manslaughter.

21 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

This "police officer" is either a complete moron or a blood hungry psychopath who sought a legal means to kill people. 

He answers the call and proceeds to attempt secure the house solo. That tells me either one of two things:

1. He is a poorly trained moron that lacks any kind of tactical awareness or decision making. If you actually perceive a threat inside an unfamiliar closed structure, there is no better way to suicide yourself than to attempt to clear the building, or walk in front of windows/openings attempting to investigate it without backup. If someone inside is waiting to greet you with hostile intent, you do not present yourself to a fatal funnel. Again, assuming he actually perceived some kind of threat or misinterpreted the nature of the call, he should've called for backup. One would hope someone more senior and experienced would handle this situation properly. The selection and training process for police officers is incredibly maligned. Also, there should be SOPs for entering or investigating private property that doesn't involve Tactical Timmy trying to do it solo. Fucking ridiculous.

2. This guy knew exactly what he was doing and was trying to press the situation in hopes of escalating it enough to justify using deadly force. This seems more likely, given the report stating the "Let me see your hands" warning followed by immediate shots. Jail for for life is not enough for this psychopath. 

There were were two cops but other than that, all this. This is such poor procedure that it made it nearly inevitable that either an armed homeowner or police officer would be shot.

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Opossum patrol?  

I understand they serve a purpose. But why don’t you take your Aggy ring wearing ass down to the jetties and ask the dude with the half dozen 12” trout sticking out of a bucket some questions, and take you boat the fuck out of my wade?  80% of my interactions have been in the field, which is akin to being stopped for a roadblock.  Meet me at the ramp or at the gate ffs. 

Exactly.

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

I see what both of you are saying BUT ... we've just gone through a page or so discussing how segregated FW is. The cop knew damn sure where he was geographically, in the middle of a predominantly (if not completely) black neighborhood. Therefore there's a likely chance his "Spidey Sense" was fully activated since he was -- perhaps in his mind -- behind enemy lines. Just my two cents. Probably much different if he'd been checking out a house in Rivercrest.

Agree may may not have known race given split second shoot, but certainly knew neighborhood

14 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

They're playing it both ways.  Top brass are throwing him under the bus while his "brothers in arms" are doing whatever they can to help him build his defense.

No fucking way should the testimony of the 8 year old be admissible, let alone in the arrest warrant, unless that complete interrogation was recorded to be viewed by the jury.  I bet my month's salary that he was coached to say exactly what the cops wanted him to say to give cover for their murderous coworker.

The testimony of an 8 year old will probably be admissible.

and I am sure the interview was recorded.

• Like 3

Odd factoid.  Lee Merritt, DFW civil rights gadfly, is an attorney not admitted to practice in the state of Texas.

That does not inhibit his appearance in federal court in Texas.

However, I am fairly certain that his representation of Texans in Texas involves the unauthorized practice of law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I was just stating it wasn’t an AR15. Not sure why the GW is doing anything on a golf course. Seems like it would be a waste of time

Exactly. It's not whether it was an AR or a M4, it's a golf course on a very small state park. Semi-auto or full auto of these rifles can pierce a quick dry golf shirt pretty much every time.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

The testimony of an 8 year old will probably be admissible.

and I am sure the interview was recorded.

Yes.  However, child testimony is always a problem.  It always presents credibility/suggestion issues.  Yet, no one really wants to cross the shit out of an eight year old in front of a jury.  Whether they even put him on the stand presents significant issues.

Texas Tribune has an article that conflicts in some respects with the other coverage (may be a result of the timing of the article) https://www.texastribune.org/2019/10/13/fort-worth-police-officer-shoots-and-kills-black-woman-home/

An interesting tidbit:

In the video released by Fort Worth police, the department magnified a frame of the video and labeled it as a weapon laying* in the bedroom. A department press release also noted that a firearm was found in the home. The department's statement does not say if the woman was holding the gun or what threat the officer perceived.

*lying.

From the defense perspective, what I see from the video

230am, dark, is it a dicey neighborhood? I don’t know, I’ve never been there but crime rate has to be considered, like if there have been recent home burglaries

House not secure, door open, storm door closed. Lights in but no one appears to be present  

general clutter around the exterior of the house, lawn equipment scattered about, maybe suggesting theft or burglary

and the thing that bothers me the most, is when you look in the home thru the door, there is shit scattered about, all over the floor, making it look like there might have been a struggle within the home, suggesting a burglary, aggravated robbery, sexual assault or murder.

i can see why the cop was scared

Edited by 4th and 5

7 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

230am, dark, is it a dicey neighborhood? I don’t know, I’ve never been there but crime rate has to be considered, like if there have been recent home burglaries

House not secure, door open, storm door closed. Lights in but no one appears to be present  

general clutter around the exterior of the house, lawn equipment scattered about, maybe suggesting theft or burglary

and the thing that bothers me the most, is when you look in the home thru the door, there is shit scattered about, all over the floor, making it look like there might have been a struggle within the home, suggesting a burglary, aggravated robbery, sexual assault or murder.

i dunno, maybe knock on the fucking storm door and call into the house? maybe identify yourself as police? 

then you have less a reason to be scared while prowling around the backyard peering into windows.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Jesus man for real?  Are you just playing devil's advocate or do you think it's reasonable that a messy lawn and entry escalates to suggest a burglary, aggravated robbery, sexual assault or murder.

24 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Good thing you aren't a cop. If you are scared of the dark and scattered lawn equipment then you definitely shouldn't have a gun. 

Hey, fuck off

I’m pointing out what the officers state of mind might have been.

dark equals low light, low light means vision and hence information may be limited.

amd shit scattered around may have made him uneasy about a crime in progress

• Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Denton County SO shot a man in the back in September. They claimed he pointed a weapon at the deputy, but he was shot in the back. They still haven't released his name and refuse to comply with public information requests. Nothing suspicious about this at all.

https://dentonrc.com/news/in-fatal-sanger-shooting-denton-county-sheriff-again-holds-back/article_92b2891c-2b55-5cc6-b64b-db0688aaca08.html

That's disgusting.  Something needs to happen there.

Once again, the most important thing is that this guy is found guilty of something that prevents him from ever working in law enforcement again for the rest of his life. Nothing will bring the victim back, and society's primary concern should be preventing this from happening again, not necessarily vengeance.

Given the current state of police work in this country, though, I am willing to support sentences that might be "too long" for a guy that was just a scared pussy in order for there to be a deterrent effect on other officers. The idea of sentences as deterrents is oversold in most cases, but I really do believe there needs to be a critical number of officers convicted of and sentenced to prison for murder (like Guyger) or manslaughter (possibly this guy if he says it was an accident because he was a scared pussy with terrible trigger discipline) so that police nationwide realize that they don't have carte blanche to kill people anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Jesus man for real?  Are you just playing devil's advocate or do you think it's reasonable that a messy lawn and entry escalates to suggest a burglary, aggravated robbery, sexual assault or murder.

I said from a defense perspective

i think this cop clearly fucked up, but I’m not inclined to join the knee jerks here without considering all the facts. 

I’m just pointing out things that I think went to the cop’s state of mind at the time ...and what you might see argued in court

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Hey, fuck off

I’m pointing out what the officers state of mind might have been.

dark equals low light, low light means vision and hence information may be limited.

amd shit scattered around may have made him uneasy about a crime in progress

You're assuming that what is seen by the body cam is the same as what is seen by the officer.  Humans have pretty good adaptability to low-light vision, much better than the shitty camera the officer was wearing.

As far as shit scattered outside, I'd love to meet the prowler whose MO is to leave shit strewn about outside to alert any passersby to their presence...  The entry is a bit disheveled, but it wasn't like she was expecting the company of a hit squad that night.

8 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

You're assuming that what is seen by the body cam is the same as what is seen by the officer.  Humans have pretty good adaptability to low-light vision, much better than the shitty camera the officer was wearing.

As far as shit scattered outside, I'd love to meet the prowler whose MO is to leave shit strewn about outside to alert any passersby to their presence...  The entry is a bit disheveled, but it wasn't like she was expecting the company of a hit squad that night.

Respectfully sir, you know nothing about vision and perception, or adaptation, as it relates to human beings

Start here: http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/nightvision.html

also I watch more police body cams in one day than you have seen in your life

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Like 4

To the peeps discussing AR15 or M4 on a golf course, you are both wrong.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, thestud said:

... the person you talk to when you call 911 or 311 or whatever isn’t the dispatcher, that is calltake. They take your initial call and then based upon the information you give them forward it to the appropriate dispatch (Fire or PD). PD has their own separate dispatch center, FD has their own dispatch center, and if they’re a third city service or private entity then EMS will also have their own separate dispatch center. ...

Lil: Get this to Johnny on the grapevine. Vermin is going to kill Johnny's brother at the savoy theater tomorrow night. Got it?
Polly the parrot: Got it.
[flies away]
Polly the parrot: [arrives at prison mess hall and lands on the shoulder of a prisoner] Vermin is going to kill Johnny's brother at the Savoy theater. Pass it on.
Prisoner: [to the next prisoner sitting next to him] Vermin is going to kill Johnny's brother at the Savoy theater tonight. Pass it on.
Prisoner: [to the next prisoner, "telephone" style] Vermin is going to kill Johnny's mother at the Savoy theater tonight. Pass it on.
Prisoner: [to the next prisoner] Vermin's mother is going to kill Johnny tonight at the Savoy theater. Pass it on.
Prisoner: [to the next prisoner]
[unintelligible]
Prisoner: ... at the Savoy. Pass it on.
Prisoner: There's a message through the grapevine, Johnny.
Johnny Dangerously: Yeah? What is it?
Prisoner: Johnny and the Mothers are playing "Stompin' at the Savoy" in Vermont tonight.
Johnny Dangerously: Vermin's going to kill my brother at the Savoy theater tonight.
Prisoner: I didn't say that.
Johnny Dangerously: No, but I know this grapevine.

Edited by bernorange
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Exactly. It's not whether it was an AR or a M4, it's a golf course on a very small state park. Semi-auto or full auto of these rifles can pierce a quick dry golf shirt pretty much every time.

Dude bro, do not trivialize the tacticool distinctions between firearms. Very uncool among the tacticool gun bros.