Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

For some reason I never knew they were "John Wayne Toes." I never made the jump myself, and still go with my ole round-toe'd ones, but I've been tempted by a couple of pair.

Technically the John Wayne Square toe is more of a snip toe then full square.

I have a pair of Lucchese's with the John Wayne toe like below.  They are dang comfortable. My grandfather had 2 pairs of Leddys which I would love to get pair of but I can't convince myself to spend that much cash on boots.

image.thumb.png.3077975de54f954f34931282f37969f3.png

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I have a pair of Lucchese's similar to the below.  They are dang comfortable. My grandfather had 2 pairs of Leddys which I would love to get pair of but I can't convince myself to spend that much cash on boots.

Second that.

Got a couple of snip toed Lucchese’s that are still going strong for coming up on 9 years now.

I love those boots.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Just catching up on this thread.  Since you guys are getting all hot and horny over boots I guess, when I get  back home, I’ll post a pick of my Red Wings that I’ve had since college. 

I've worn out 2 pairs of Vasque hiking boots (Vasque is manufactured by Red Wing for those who don't know) and then got some Vasque Alpine GTX hiking boots because heavy backpacking requires such sturdy hiking boots. Red Wing makes great shoes, work shoes, work boots, and hiking boots.

image_2020-12-16_135541.png

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, wood said:

IN. 

Got mine at least 30 years ago. Got 'em re-soled once, when I didn't really have to. Got 'em at Raymond's Work Boots on S. Lamar, from Raymond himself. He had the best stories, like how he and Matt Martinez used to got hunting out there all the time when he opened his store and Matt moved the El Rancho from 1st Street when he was bought out by the Four Seasons iirc. Said there was nothing south of about West Mary. /csb

Mine are 30 years old still holding together.  

7 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I've worn out 2 pairs of Vasque hiking boots (Vasque is manufactured by Red Wing for those who don't know) and then got some Vasque Alpine GTX because heavy backpacking requires such sturdy hiking boots. Red Wing makes great shoes, work shoes, work boots, and hiking boots.

Thanks for the tip. Been looking for some good hiking boots.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I've worn out 2 pairs of Vasque hiking boots (Vasque is manufactured by Red Wing for those who don't know) and then got some Vasque Alpine GTX hiking boots because heavy backpacking requires such sturdy hiking boots. Red Wing makes great shoes, work shoes, work boots, and hiking boots.

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you're actually a cowboy you either get ropers or the more narrow version of the square toe. Whatever the fuck you city people are calling it because getting a full square toe consistently in and out of your saddle is a bitch.

I'll agree if talking the full on duck feet looking square toes.  

The narrower square toes work fine for dressier occassions.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you're actually a cowboy you either get ropers or the more narrow version of the square toe. Whatever the fuck you city people are calling it because getting a full square toe consistently in and out of your saddle is a bitch.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw an actual cowboy wear anything but a square toe while working. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any of those guys wear a roper. They give me shit sometimes for not wearing square toes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Caddox said:

I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw an actual cowboy wear anything but a square toe while working. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any of those guys wear a roper. They give me shit sometimes for not wearing square toes. 

Yep.  For actual ranch work, a square toed work boot every time.  Most spend 99% of their time in a truck or ATV.  Not a horse.  Fancy round toes are for the rodeo and dinner.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  For actual ranch work, a square toed work boot every time.  Most spend 99% of their time in a truck or ATV.  Not a horse.  Fancy round toes are for the rodeo and dinner.  

That would depend on the part of the state your in.  Up here you gotta chase way too many cattle through brush country to do it from a truck.

Just now, TexasRenegade said:

That would depend on the part of the state your in.  Up here you gotta chase way too many cattle through brush country to do it from a truck.

We do have a few cowboys that help with rounding cows up, but it's more of a limited process and not a FT gig.  

I prefer the square toe. I wear a size twelve wide and walk on the outsides of my feet. The square toe just gives me that extra width and helps balance my step better. I've never had any issues getting into the stirrups but they do come in different sizes so you need the right ones for your feet. 

The most comfortable boots I own are a pair of Anderson Beans with Wild Boar in a square toe.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The derpy Mcderpster is still around and I have not silenced or killed the poor bastard. I gave him info on a different plane altogether and he's put in some fucking work, but it has revealed nothing new of consequence. But when/if they travel for interviews again, we'll be ready. 

So your initial cover story about needing private plane info for a weekend with the wife was not 100% true and my initial inclinations were correct? 

tenor.gif?itemid=4813434

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I have a pair of Lucchese's with the John Wayne toe like below.  They are dang comfortable. My grandfather had 2 pairs of Leddys which I would love to get pair of but I can't convince myself to spend that much cash on boots.

Yah, those are more likely what I'd buy. 

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I was surprised to see my uncle and cousin in squares, as they ride. I'd figure getting a pointed toe into a stirrup would be easier, but I'm guessing it doesn't really affect them enough. Granted, they don't have the crazy three inch wide square up front like some of these guys, but...

edited to add: I do know some "real" cowboys who still wear round, though. 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I was surprised to see my uncle and cousin in squares, as they ride. I'd figure getting a pointed toe into a stirrup would be easier, but I'm guessing it doesn't really affect them enough. Granted, they don't have the crazy three inch wide square up front like some of these guys, but...

From what I have been around getting your foot in stirrup isn't the problem with big square toes......its getting your foot out when your falling off.....I know some cowboys who ride with square toes and I know some who don't anymore.

I can't remember which ranch it was, might have been 6666's, but one banned their cowboys from riding with square toed boots after a bunch of said accidents.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I guess we could always ask these guys about western fashion. about 130 years or so of working cowboy right there....and yes, under their chaps all 3 have boots that go up to their knees.

125876102_3858673340855626_8715097253706527999_o.jpg

Yep, that's what most "real cowboys" wear in my experience. I'll bet they even know how to pronounce chaps.