Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

My opinion is cdc let’s him go after KU. Makes one of the assistants the head coach for the bowl game and announces urban meyer head coach. 

I don’t understand the point of waiting after a game against a winless team that was rescheduled because of Covid. Fucking beyond retarded. 

klatt actually made a good point today if Herman isn’t the guy let him go sooner rather than later. It isn’t fair to the players or other coaches to let this drag on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As I’ve been saying I believe Urban has been on board for a while. I wouldn’t be surprised if this all began with his agent reaching out to Texas letting us know that urban was interested and ready to return to coaching if we were inclined to make a change. 

• Hook 'Em 3

If we mess this up?

Jesus people. It sounds like they’ve already pretty much done all they can to try and get him here. If he decides he doesn’t want the job. Nothing can be done to make him take it. He doesn’t want to be here nearly as bad as we all want him here. If he wants the job. Firing or not firing Herman today/tomorrow or next week isn’t going to matter. 

Yet some are going to be ready to stop supporting the program just because Meyer may not feel like coaching again.

Edited by KingLerxst
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, KingLerxst said:

If we mess this up?

Jesus people. It sounds like they’ve already one pretty much done all they can to try and get him here. If he decides he doesn’t want the job. Nothing can be done to make him take it. He doesn’t want to be here nearly as bad as we all want him here. If he wants the job. Firing or not firing a Herman today/tomorrow or next week isn’t going to matter. 

Yet some are going to be ready to stop supporting the program just because Meyer may not feel like coaching again.

The reasons for firing Tom Herman have nothing to do with Urban Meyer and everything to do with our failure on the field and our failure recruiting. We are about to fall off a cliff if something is not done soon.

Urban Meyer or whomever. I just want to see somebody else take a shot. 

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Some great past coaching hires in the past weren’t first options. Famously, Pete Carrol was like USC’s 6th option. Also DKR wasn’t our first choice.

Herman, of course, was our first choice 

Charlie wasn't our 1st choice either so 2nd choices can be even shittier. It was Saban then a slight drop off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t understand the point of waiting after a game against a winless team that was rescheduled because of Covid. Fucking beyond retarded. 

klatt actually made a good point today if Herman isn’t the guy let him go sooner rather than later. It isn’t fair to the players or other coaches to let this drag on. 

Yea I agree completely. My opinion is based out of the way I see cdc likes to handle things. Everything above board and what he sees as the right way so it doesn’t get criticized by anyone. Politically correct. Welcome to Austin. 

Just now, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Charlie wasn't our 1st choice either so 2nd choices can be even shittier. It was Saban then a slight drop off. 

Yeah we had to go a bit down the list to get Charlie, though he was still a pretty hot name at the time.

Just now, KingLerxst said:

If we mess this up?

Jesus people. It sounds like they’ve already one pretty much done all they can to try and get him here. If he decides he doesn’t want the job. Nothing can be done to make him take it. He doesn’t want to be here nearly as bad as we all want him here. If he wants the job. Firing or not firing a Herman today/tomorrow or next week isn’t going to matter. 

Nah, for me, it's simply that anyone other than Meyer equates to more of the same.  I won't blame our athletics department for going all-in on Meyer, and him simply choosing not coach at Texas.  

But I also won't be interested in whatever product is put on the field next year with any of the other Plan B names being mentioned if Meyer doesn't work out.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KingLerxst said:

If we mess this up?

Jesus people. It sounds like they’ve already pretty much done all they can to try and get him here. If he decides he doesn’t want the job. Nothing can be done to make him take it. He doesn’t want to be here nearly as bad as we all want him here. If he wants the job. Firing or not firing Herman today/tomorrow or next week isn’t going to matter. 

I’m not trying to stir a hornets’ nest, but I don’t think the program cares about winning until proven otherwise. It’s not just about Urban Meyer.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bringing Tom back as a lame duck coach would do nothing to help the 2021 class and would crater the 2022 class.  You can't allow a coach to destroy two straight recruiting classes - it makes it entirely too difficult for the next coach to turn things around.

Exactly. That would set the program back by at least 5-7 years.

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

This is the plane I'm keeping my eye on. It's the one that went tOSU to HSB on Thursday. It's in Palm Beach now and has a trip tomorrow to Van Nuys showing up on the upcoming flight ledger. 

Keep your eye on it! I choose to believe that Urban and Shelley are doing the R&R thing in Siesta Keys but...just in case.

3 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

This is the plane I'm keeping my eye on. It's the one that went tOSU to HSB on Thursday. It's in Palm Beach now and has a trip tomorrow to Van Nuys showing up on the upcoming flight ledger. 

Good work chap very good work. 

I do have 1 question. That appears to be a NetJet.  Was it just rented out for that HSB trip? 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Nah, for me, it's simply that anyone other than Meyer equates to more of the same.  I won't blame our athletics department for going all-in on Meyer, and him simply choosing not coach at Texas.  

But I also won't be interested in whatever product is put on the field next year with any of the other Plan B names being mentioned if Meyer doesn't work out.  

I'm increasingly impressed by Tom Allen.  Up 14-3 at Wisconsin late 3rd, playing without their Penix.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think the bottom line is after the W against KU next week, that’s a 7-3 season. Disappointing? Yes. If this was the end of Herman’s contract you don’t renew him for next year at all. But 7-3 just isn’t “pay $15 mil to get rid of him now” bad. 

There was absolutely zero reason to be worse than 9-1 with this roster.  he lost 2 home games to teams with absolutely less talent.  15M is the price of doing business in college football if you extend someone's contract idiotically.   its a 15M+ fuckup and now CDC has to pay the piper.

you fire him and fix the mistake you made.  We have a chance to right the fuck ups from the last 7 years.  He's an average P5 coach.  He's the 4th or 5th best coach in the Big 12

0 for 2 on G5 coin flips.  Fix it.

• Hook 'Em 4

There was absolutely zero reason to be worse than 9-1 with this roster.  he lost 2 home games to teams with absolutely less talent.  15M is the price of doing business in college football if you extend someone's contract idiotically.   its a 15M+ fuckup and now CDC has to pay the piper.
you fire him and fix the mistake you made.  We have a chance to right the fuck ups from the last 7 years.  He's an average P5 coach.  He's the 4th or 5th best coach in the Big 12
 0 for 2 on G5 coin flips.  Fix it.
Honestly, the fact that we had to beat tech on a miracle comeback and onside recovery may be more damning than any of the losses. Tech just beat Kansas by 3.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

What about this one that landed in Van Nuys this afternoon

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/WDY618/history/20201205/1640Z/KDZB/KVNY

13 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

We also didn't run a true coaching search there. Boosters were trying to, but Powers wanted Shaw, Strong, or Franklin, in that order. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, I'm going to go on a little bit of a rant here.

If Meyer doesn't happen, just look at how this process has played out.  For the entire season, the administration has not provided any votes of confidence to help stabilize the program and recruiting. That means they are hell bent on making a change and didn't want to do that.  Okay, fine. 

But if you are committed to change, how in the heck can you let the Urban Meyer stuff play out all of the way to the end of the season and not have him locked down? You either get a no and move on, or you lock him down, weeks or months ago. Not NOW. That way you don't subject yourself to being publicly left at the alter, with fans, recruits and players deflated over settling for the next Herman-like choice. Whether the next coach is better than Herman or not, you've hurt the perception of the program, which will hurt recruiting, support, etc.

On the other hand, if you had processed Meyer early, you could of nipped all the rumors early, and then when you announce Cristobal, Mullins or whoever, at least people would be encouraged, instead of deflated.

If he doesn't come, this thing was mis-managed, big-time.

I agree. It would mean CDC totally mismanaged the situation and really fucked up which will eventually lead to him losing his job. Have no doubt about it he was brought here to turn FB around 1st.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

But if you are committed to change, how in the heck can you let the Urban Meyer stuff play out all of the way to the end of the season and not have him locked down? 

What? 

Multiple sites have confirmed Texas has already started engaging 2nd options. Texas has done their due diligence other than Meyer. 

Also, Meyer is clearly the best option. You let this stuff play out as long as it takes if that's what's needed for him to coach at Texas. I can tell you've never handled negotiations before. 

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If Meyer doesn't happen, just look at how this process has played out.  For the entire season, the administration has not provided any votes of confidence to help stabilize the program and recruiting. That means they are hell bent on making a change and didn't want to do that.  Okay, fine. 

But if you are committed to change, how in the heck can you let the Urban Meyer stuff play out all of the way to the end of the season and not have him locked down? You either get a no and move on, or you lock him down, weeks or months ago. Not NOW. That way you don't subject yourself to being publicly left at the alter, with fans, recruits and players deflated over settling for the next Herman-like choice. Whether the next coach is better than Herman or not, you've hurt the perception of the program, which will hurt recruiting, support, etc.

On the other hand, if you had processed Meyer early, you could of nipped all the rumors early, and then when you announce Cristobal, Mullins or whoever, at least people would be encouraged, instead of deflated.

Exactly. CDC gambled plain and simple. This and if it isn’t Urban then CDC gambled his career here away

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think the bottom line is after the W against KU next week, that’s a 7-3 season. Disappointing? Yes. If this was the end of Herman’s contract you don’t renew him for next year at all. But 7-3 just isn’t “pay $15 mil to get rid of him now” bad. 

I hope you're wrong, but I may agree.  Firign someone that could be 8-3, with 3 essentially last second losses?

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For the entire season, the administration has not provided any votes of confidence to help stabilize the program and recruiting. That means they are hell bent on making a change and didn't want to do that.  Okay, fine. 

That has been my thing ever since the OU game. Either we are firing this guy or we are not. If we are not then we need to rally behind Herman and do whatever we can to make sure he is successful. If we are then we need to fire his ass immediately. Just letting it all rot away while we do nothing seems to be the worst possible choice.

And totally agree that if we are going to get Meyer then let's lock it down. If we are not then announce he is not a candidate and start on somebody else.

So I have no fucking idea what is going on but I am having a hard time coming up with a scenario where what we are doing right now, just letting Tom Herman's program hang out under this cloud of doom for months, is a smart choice.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

If we don't land this, I feel like the misstep will have been letting the osu game cloud the situation.

The level of confidence from EVERYONE at the time of the osu game was that if we lost that game, Meyer was ours. I don't know if that's true, but there was very little hedging happening at that time.

Instead, we let a meaningless win delay things, and only in the weeks following did confidence wane. If Meyer turns us down, it's sure as hell going to look like it's because we didn't strike when the deal that inertia behind it. And why? Because we beat fucking Oklahoma State?

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic