Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You missed the entire point of the post. They’ve known for months they were going to make a change and they easily could have sorted out Meyer several weeks ago and kept it from becoming a public spectacle.

And your comment about experience with negotiations is cringe worthy. You have no clue about either my experience or actually how to manage negotiating processes. Donny, you’re completely out of your element.

What public spectacle? We're the only ones talking about it. Not firing Herman yet has kept it from blowing up into a national story

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

That's exactly why we keep dumpster diving while the fully committed programs go out and bring in winners. We're the fucking nice guys concerned about what everyone else thinks while we get cuckholded by our fucking rivals. So tired of this shit.

Well, we know the ethics are shit in college football. It's all about optics and raw power. I agree, if you want to run with the big dogs you just pay top dollar for the best. Still, I can imagine it's tough to announce with 21,000 other employees and during challenging times. But you're right. Football is a different animal, and you just say f it. Now, if it's not UM, do you pay the next schmo more than Herman? Not many out there command it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's not how this works at all. 
You don't fire a coach without having a viable option lined up. 

But you publicly back him, squash the rumors, even if they’re true. This wasn’t the usual “Wow I wonder if his job is on the line?” Type of deal. This was a fanbase calling for his head. Rumors everywhere.
You say, “Tom Herman’s our coach. We got a lot of season left!” Then you line up your next coach and fire his ass when you reach an agreement.

Was honestly hoping for a loss as the last nail in the coffin to leave absolutely no doubt about Herman being canned.  But wondering if by playing so well and Bijan having the day he did might make Urban more likely to actually come coach.  Seeing that the cake just needs to be baked and all...

One other thing of note today...

At the end of the game, Gus and Klatt said something about “all the eyes of the college football world will be focused on UT” or something to that effect.  So, it’s not just a bunch of UT fans living in our own little world.  THEE top two commentators in college sports identify this as a big fucking situation that everyone in college football is interested in, yet the studio team barely even mentions it.  Outside of maybe a couple covid things, it’s the biggest story in CBF right now.  And they glaze right over it?  Hmmm...

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I hope you're wrong, but I may agree.  Firign someone that could be 8-3, with 3 essentially last second losses?

Yes but we could easily be 3-8 also. That's the problem. We should've curb stomped the big 12 this year and didn't. We're lucky to only have 3 losses. We out-talented every team but stupid coaching decisions have is where we are.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

If I ran a $9.95 place, I'd go all in and claim I had insiders saying the deal was done. Either I get a bajilion new subscribers and can retire, or I make up lies after trying to cover my tracks. 

But I'm a compulsive gambler so.. ymmv

that's pretty much what they do already.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Looks like one of those eyelash soft filters on Instagram. Missing the sparkles though. 

Robot.

Or, if you're cruising the galaxy with Sigourney Weaver, artificial person.

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I am still in a good mood. I can't help it. Not the eternal optimist but I feel good about today. I think we have more than just a shot. Go Chanticleers/Black Swarm/Coastal whatever the fuck. About to score again. Lets go!

So far, they are playing BYU better than anyone else this season.  BYU is legit.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Funny enough that reminds me, could have sworn I noticed that (at least at one point) Urban had a tablet in front of him on the round-table while no-one else did, and that he appeared to be kind of keeping it in his peripheral while totally tuning out the jabber of others on the panel. Not sure if that happened or I'm making it up (or, if it happened, whether that's even unusual practice for him). 

Checked real quick and only other was Reggie, who had his Fox-Sports-branded Surface up. Urban had his personal iPad.

And yes I realize this is scraping the bottom of the barrel, just thought it was mildly interesting. In b4 futureman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, I'm going to go on a little bit of a rant here.

If Meyer doesn't happen, just look at how this process has played out.  For the entire season, the administration has not provided any votes of confidence to help stabilize the program and recruiting. That means they are hell bent on making a change and didn't want to do that.  Okay, fine. 

But if you are committed to change, how in the heck can you let the Urban Meyer stuff play out all of the way to the end of the season and not have him locked down? You either get a no and move on, or you lock him down, weeks or months ago. Not NOW. That way you don't subject yourself to being publicly left at the alter, with fans, recruits and players deflated over settling for the next Herman-like choice. Whether the next coach is better than Herman or not, you've hurt the perception of the program, which will hurt recruiting, support, etc.

On the other hand, if you had processed Meyer early, you could of nipped all the rumors early, and then when you announce Cristobal, Mullins or whoever, at least people would be encouraged, instead of deflated.

If he doesn't come, this thing was mis-managed, big-time.

CDC has been given pass here from a lot of people.  He's going to fuck this up for us.  Dude was given an easy layup and is going to fucking chunk it out of bounds.

This is such a horrible take by Dbeasy because Texas can still negotiate with other coaches while they continue to wait/negotiate with Urban. 
When there's only one great hire available you don't put random deadlines on negotiations. 
Texas is finally throwing it's balls on the table like they should be doing. 

You really don’t understand how executive level private searches work. Let me put it this way. Hundreds of times every day high profile searches are conducted in the background without reaching public visibility, including and especially sports coaches.

You don’t have to put a deadline on Meyer. You work out most/all of the issues well in advance of the public pressure stage. CDC did it perfectly for women’s basketball, etc. He just didn’t for Meyer. And I like CDC. I’m just saying they screwed up the process timing if he isn’t coming.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If Urban doesn't come to Texas, he doesn't want to coach again.  He wants to coach again, so he's coming to Texas. He's not so fucking torn after thinking about this for probably months and going through that show today (a bit uncomfortable) just to make his mind up tonight that he wants to be a has-been television personality.  Texas is (at least) a top 4 job in college football, and they want him.  He's coming.  Stop being pussies.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

One other thing of note today...

At the end of the game, Gus and Klatt said something about “all the eyes of the college football world will be focused on UT” or something to that effect.  So, it’s not just a bunch of UT fans living in our own little world.  THEE top two commentators in college sports identify this as a big fucking situation that everyone in college football is interested in, yet the studio team barely even mentions it.  Outside of maybe a couple covid things, it’s the biggest story in CBF right now.  And they glaze right over it?  Hmmm...

It was weird coupled with the pregame and halftime show. Especially how they kept saying “there is one man for the job” or whatever the specific wording was. 

32 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Also, the plane I posted about earlier this week that went Las Vegas --> Bermuda Dunes (Palm Springs/La Quinta area) is back to being of interest. It's at Van Nuys in LA right now. Tonight's flight log shows Van Nuys to Houston. Tomorrow's shows a trips to Sugar Land on to Dallas, then final leg to Austin with touch-down late afternoon. 

We know who owns this plane? 

3 minutes ago, Yuk said:

If Urban doesn't come to Texas, he doesn't want to coach again.  He wants to coach again, so he's coming to Texas. He's not so fucking torn after thinking about this for probably months and going through that show today (a bit uncomfortable) just to make his mind up tonight that he wants to be a has-been television personality.  Texas is (at least) a top 4 job in college football, and they want him.  He's coming.  Stop being pussies.

so you are the night crew replacement for the day crew?

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic