Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bunch of bad whining going on here. We have a primary target who is light years ahead of any other target. The delay is because he's deciding and/or negotiating. Nothing has been mismanaged even if says no.

Nahlin's hinted that an answer is coming by Sunday morning. If nothing's heard by then, it's likely a no.

• Hook 'Em 1

What? 
Multiple sites have confirmed Texas has already started engaging 2nd options. Texas has done their due diligence other than Meyer. 
Also, Meyer is clearly the best option. You let this stuff play out as long as it takes if that's what's needed for him to coach at Texas. I can tell you've never handled negotiations before. 

You missed the entire point of the post. They’ve known for months they were going to make a change and they easily could have sorted out Meyer several weeks ago and kept it from becoming a public spectacle.

And your comment about experience with negotiations is cringe worthy. You have no clue about either my experience or actually how to manage negotiating processes. Donny, you’re completely out of your element.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, derpyhorndog said:

You can tell when they're misdirection when, for example, the destination for Flight 1 doesn't line up with the departure location for Flight 2. You can piece it together though. That's not what's happening here.

Assuming for the sake of the argument this plane is involved in the coaching search, the flight path suggests to me that they're rounding people up from each location to bring them back to Austin for an aligned purpose. Otherwise, why fly out of the way to Dallas first instead of going directly to Austin having whatever BSDs are Dallas get their own plane to town?

If a coaching search related flight it’s not to round folks up but to give access to the funders/BMD and maybe regents.  Meet them in Houston, meet them in Dallas, fly to Austin for the announcement. No one in Houston or Dallas needs to be in Austin.  It’s Meyer being shuttled around in advance of Sunday announcement, Monday presser.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Notice that you are saying "optics", not "ethics". In other words, how it looks to other people or what other people will think of us. Not if it's morally right or wrong, but how it will be perceived. I feel like that's how the University has run its athletics for the thirty years I've followed the programs. 

If we can't stop worrying about how we'll maintain decorous appearances, then I quit as a fan. I don't care how we're perceived, optically, sonically, olfactorally, any of that shit. I want us to win. More to the point, I don't care to try to guess in advance how what we do will be perceived. I want us to to the things that are most likely to result in fucking victories on the field and I don't care if it shortdicks every cannibal on the Congo. 

That's exactly why we keep dumpster diving while the fully committed programs go out and bring in winners. We're the fucking nice guys concerned about what everyone else thinks while we get cuckholded by our fucking rivals. So tired of this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Look, would going from 9 million to 12 million intrigue Dabo or Saban?  I've read both of them express some displeasure, maybe my imagination.

pretty funny you don’t realize that both schools would match whatever number we came up with 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Well well well. Will ya look at those Chanticleers. And that's how ya coach a damn team. I know their HC isn't yet ready for the big time but damn will he be at some point. Go Coastal Carolina.

Also, no disrespect at all for the wet blanket throwers. I get it. They know stuff. I get it. They want UT to win too. I get it. They aren't tight with CDC. But do ya have to every time we are throwing a damn party pour water on the fucking candles before we can blow them out. For fucks sake. we get it. UM may not happen. He may not happen. Can we just enjoy what we saw today on tv and have happy fucking thoughts for a little bit. All of us know that it may not happen. It is a huge deal to all of us. We just want to enjoy not being told NO YET for the next several hours. It is necessary to come in and stir shit up with a "Hey guys, I want to be wrong but this could be really bad..." right when everyone is having fun and this thread is rocking. We already know it may not fucking happen. Doing it once, fine. Doing it, twice OK we heard ya. Doing it every 45-50 pages or so is making me think y'all aren't trying to spare us from the ultimate rejection you just want to piss on the birthday cake as well.

rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cashcar said:

So no “Insider” reports today from the $9.95 crowd? Just silence?

Did you think Urban was texting his family about the decision or talking to CDC while he was on set at Fox? There was never going to be anything that could happen today besides Urban saying he wasn't returning to coaching on tv...which he didn't

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

That's exactly why we keep dumpster diving while the fully committed programs go out and bring in winners. We're the fucking nice guys concerned about what everyone else thinks while we get cuckholded by our fucking rivals. So tired of this shit.

What sucks so much about this is we hired a level 10 dbag thinking he was a decent guy. 

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

And then we get called a cesspool for our trouble. It is not like we are beloved around the country for our soft hearts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Some great past coaching hires in the past weren’t first options. Famously, Pete Carrol was like USC’s 6th option. Also DKR wasn’t our first choice.

Herman, of course, was our first choice 

The thought is that Meyer is a can't miss HC. Texas has tried hiring his underlings and that hasn't worked out.  

I think Hugh Freeze is close to this.   With Texas resources, Freeze could be deadly with the risk of being deadly to the longterm health of the program.  Otherwise, I don't really know if there's anyone that is a sure thing.  

I'd like Meyer just to install his system and then hire the right coaches to run it.  He's a big picture kind of guy but it's the micro detail that probably is crappy for his health but this is what probably separates him.  

Desired attempt at an offensive coaching staff with Freeze as HC: Mangino to run the offense, Sherman with oline, fine with Boulware with st and te, qb coach is good with Mangino and Freeze, same with wrs. That would be a pretty affordable offensive tree as well.   If we needed a wrs coach, hire David Beaty.  I'd also expect this could fail due to chemistry and recruiting antics and also, it's just not reality.   Reality is, Meyer could take the job and run on fumes, protecting his health.  We don't know and if money fixed everything, Oregon and Georgia would be better than they are and the Knicks would have won a championship in the last 40 years. 

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Did you think Urban was texting his family about the decision or talking to CDC while he was on set at Fox? There was never going to be anything that could happen today besides Urban saying he wasn't returning to coaching on tv...which he didn't

He could have decked Brady Quinn.  We all know he wants to.  

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, I'm going to go on a little bit of a rant here.

If Meyer doesn't happen, just look at how this process has played out.  For the entire season, the administration has not provided any votes of confidence to help stabilize the program and recruiting. That means they are hell bent on making a change and didn't want to do that.  Okay, fine. 

But if you are committed to change, how in the heck can you let the Urban Meyer stuff play out all of the way to the end of the season and not have him locked down? You either get a no and move on, or you lock him down, weeks or months ago. Not NOW. That way you don't subject yourself to being publicly left at the alter, with fans, recruits and players deflated over settling for the next Herman-like choice. Whether the next coach is better than Herman or not, you've hurt the perception of the program, which will hurt recruiting, support, etc.

On the other hand, if you had processed Meyer early, you could of nipped all the rumors early, and then when you announce Cristobal, Mullins or whoever, at least people would be encouraged, instead of deflated.

If he doesn't come, this thing was mis-managed, big-time.

May want to save this rant and repost if Herman gives his usual press conference on Monday. Nothing in it is wrong, it’s just a little premature. 

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Funny enough that reminds me, could have sworn I noticed that (at least at one point) Urban had a tablet in front of him on the round-table while no-one else did, and that he appeared to be kind of keeping it in his peripheral while totally tuning out the jabber of others on the panel. Not sure if that happened or I'm making it up (or, if it happened, whether that's even unusual practice for him). 

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

All of this "well we'll be 7-3 talk" or "can't fire him after a convincing win" just proves the state of complacency in our program. We want to win it all, but we just don't want to try as hard as Alabama, Clemson, tOSU, OU, etc. This is exactly why we have 3 Big-12 championships and OU has 14.

Tom Herman is a cancer. He will continue to destroy the program as long as he is here. Whatever happens in the next eight days will demonstrate whether we are serious about football or we just like to talk about our aging blue blood status.

I wouldn't say he is a cancer.  He is just a mediocre coach.  He can get you that magical 3-4 losses a year to go with 8-10 wins depending on how many games you play that year.  He can coach an upset here or there but he also has a penchant for his teams playing down to the competition or losing to teams that are inferior to what he has.  If you look at the schedule for Texas every year there are only a few hard games.  We may have one tough OOC game and then OU.  Maybe one other Big 12 school is good that year or maybe not.  That schedule should turnout 10-2, 11-1 or 12-0 teams most years.  Herman can't do that.  He is what he is.  The very ordinary coach that can take a talented team and go 8-3.  No thanks.

• Like 1

If that is the plan then we have fucked ourselves completely by not squashing these rumors and giving Herman the support he needs. He is going to have a very hard time winning in the future with the state of his recruiting and our administration played a role in letting that happen. 

Dead the fuck on!
They’ve left the dude dangling in the wind, leaving the team uncertain, recruits uncertain. All just to say “heyyy come on back!”? That’s stupid. They’ve fucked around far too long. Letting him hang around. CDC would need to be fired.

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Well well well. Will ya look at those Chanticleers. And that's how ya coach a damn team. I know their HC isn't yet ready for the big time but damn will he be at some point. Go Coastal Carolina.

Thanks, forgot this was on.

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

What sucks so much about this is we hired a level 10 dbag thinking he was a decent guy. 

Our fake moral high ground and irrational obsession with "core values" will be our demise in football. You draw the line at Penn State and Baylor level of lack of institutional control.

Football success does not diminish the value of you diploma (even a nursing one).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Funny enough that reminds me, could have sworn I noticed that (at least at one point) Urban had a tablet in front of him on the round-table while no-one else did, and that he appeared to be kind of keeping it in his peripheral while totally tuning out the jabber of others on the panel. Not sure if that happened or I'm making it up (or, if it happened, whether that's even unusual practice for him). 

I feel so sorry for you. 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's Urban Meyer. What are you going to do, give him a midseason deadline? 

This is such a horrible take by Dbeasy because Texas can still negotiate with other coaches while they continue to wait/negotiate with Urban. 

When there's only one great hire available you don't put random deadlines on negotiations. 

Texas is finally throwing it's balls on the table like they should be doing. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

23 minutes ago, cafe society said:

What was the name of that local access show back in the '80s?  Urban Jungle?

I remember one from the early '90s called called Global Jungle, that aired stuff like the Dwyer clip and clips of bands like Skinny Puppy and Ministry.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic