Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Not sure if trivial, but...

Reading a post in the Football forum, and seeing some idoit use the word YIKES in a non-ironic way. 
This is Surly. We don't say "Yikes". Ever. We say something along the lines of "holy fucking shit", or "fuck me sideways", or "that makes me feel like they should jam a red hot poker up their ass and cut off their dick".

That might have been me. So why don’t you go fuck your own face dick stain.
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2023 at 8:25 AM, YGIFS said:

You gotta admire Chuck Berry looking as cool as he did, and maintaining that beautiful blues groove all throughout.  The consummate showman.  

Because while jamming a tune that would require all of us to have 110% concentration after years of practice...he's running a very complex algorithm.  "How do I, a famous black man, smash this priceless guitar over that Japanese woman's face in the United States without getting into too much trouble?  I mean, I love John over here.  Sure he borrowed a little too liberally from my people's music and got famous doing it---but he's a progressive cat all about equality and love and creating art through music.  And he digs this broad but she's ruining decades of my craftsmanship with each moan and wail.  Plus, I love this guitar but I hate her face.  Neither of them are really American and maybe some Americans wouldn't mind if I smashed her face and then watch my backup band wrestle that hippie John to the ground as he pretends to come to her defense.  I mean we're in a progressive city in Philadelphia, but they also hate black folks here and fucking Roger Ailes of all people made this variety show what it is today.  She makes my fucking teeth itch.  How is John not hearing this shit?  This, this is why he left the Beatles?  I gotta demand payment in cash up front because of how many white producers and promoters have fucked me over the years, only to be outgunned by this cunt?  Wait, bridge is over and John don't know it 'cause he high as fuck.  Let's bring it home baby...........and done!" 

WITELF?

Freaking Halloween night.  Our street is probably the most popular street to Trick or Treat on, so people drive from outside the neighborhood, park nearby and do their thing.  Well, I'm fine with most of it, but sometime around 7:45 or 8, a freaking party bus drops off 50+ 14-18 year olds at our neighbors' house, and right about 8:15 or so, it's like they waved the green flag, and they all come running out of the culdesac at the end of the road, and going crazy.  (We have 2 kids that are just going to bed at this point, and I'm in the front yard a few beers deep and tending to the fire.)  Luckily no one rang the doorbell thanks to me sitting out front, but they were loud enough to keep the kids up another hour or two. 

Long story short, F the the parents who threw a party for half the dang school on a street full of families with young kids.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

Freaking Halloween night.  Our street is probably the most popular street to Trick or Treat on, so people drive from outside the neighborhood, park nearby and do their thing.  Well, I'm fine with most of it, but sometime around 7:45 or 8, a freaking party bus drops off 50+ 14-18 year olds at our neighbors' house, and right about 8:15 or so, it's like they waved the green flag, and they all come running out of the culdesac at the end of the road, and going crazy.  (We have 2 kids that are just going to bed at this point, and I'm in the front yard a few beers deep and tending to the fire.)  Luckily no one rang the doorbell thanks to me sitting out front, but they were loud enough to keep the kids up another hour or two. 

Long story short, F the the parents who threw a party for half the dang school on a street full of families with young kids.

I bet the clouds in your neighborhood get a really good dressing down from time to time.

Halloween should be a time for youth mischievousness.  /noDetroit

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't mind that, but dropping off 50+ kids to fuck around in your neighborhood is not in the same league.  I'm all for the smaller 3-5 person groupings that sneak around and egg / toilet paper people's stuff, but just a mob of loud entitled shitheads is completely different.  Guess TP is still too expensive to be deployed in a proper manner.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I don't mind that, but dropping off 50+ kids to fuck around in your neighborhood is not in the same league.  I'm all for the smaller 3-5 person groupings that sneak around and egg / toilet paper people's stuff, but just a mob of loud entitled shitheads is completely different.  Guess TP is still too expensive to be deployed in a proper manner.

The amount of kids we get in my neighborhood is wildly variable.  Pre-covid we would regularly have 200-350 kids.  The streets were packed with kids running wild and the excitement you would see on their faces was amazing. 

Groups of parents pulling wagons with coolers or the occasional tired worn-out youngsters  

Young moms dressed in their party costume toting a Tervis filled with rocket fuel & bad ideas

Dad's with overly elaborate costumes to supplement their child's

Little little kids on their first halloween with wide eyes and can barely grasp a snack sized Snickers (they don't know what the fuck is going on)

The too old to Trick or Treat teens maybe looking for free candy, but also maybe starting to miss the uncomplicated joy of youth.

All the neighbors still decorate robustly, but this year I got about 15...  that's it.   Both my "kids" are off to college this Halloween, and frankly a bus load of 50+ kids would have been a welcome addition to a slow and kind of sad night.

(got egged one year, but it was just the house and hosed right off.)

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I’m a dog person. Love my dog (and really miss my boxer that died last year). But people who don’t have kids but try to equate having a dog as basically the same thing really annoy the fuck out of me. Not talking about the ones that joke about it and know there is a huge difference, but the ones who have convinced themselves that the responsibilities of owning a dog are the same as raising a child. A lot of broken brains out there.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m a dog person. Love my dog (and really miss my boxer that died last year). But people who don’t have kids but try to equate having a dog as basically the same thing really annoy the fuck out of me. Not talking about the ones that joke about it and know there is a huge difference, but the ones who have convinced themselves that the responsibilities of owning a dog are the same as raising a child. A lot of broken brains out there.

With this crap on their car, and a 90% chance dressed in some form of athleisurewear.  Probably also lists their profession as "influencer" somewhere.

41C0XCGN74L.jpg.9716ac619a1f220acc9f4888e75166ae.jpg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sandman said:

People that list things for sale and say "This won't last long!!!". If you're selling it and you know it will sell quick, why do you have to tell us? Just post it and let it sell. This goes double for douchebags on facebook and car dealerships. 

It's a sales technique known as scarcity and it works.  

• Like 1

Switching to Google Calendar on my iPhone and noticing the icon stays at 31.

(The iPhone’s calendar app icon changes everyday to show the date and day of the week)

Not so trivial is having about 10 Apple devices, using Google Chrome and other Google apps, and a house full of Amazon Echoes that all excel in what they do, it’s hard for me to commit to just one ecosystem. 

• Like 1

Our school district left a VM at 630 AM saying all schools are closed for the day because there is asbestos in the air after a major fire in the area.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/asbestos-poor-air-following-historic-hangar-fire-orange-county/amp/

A little extra notice would have been nice.

Does the arsonist even have your number?

Maybe more Random Thought material. Thank you for your service. This annoys me for some reason. People just use it as a meaningless auto response like a “bless you” after a sneeze. I know for some guys it is, but for me being a veteran isn’t my entire identity, it’s just something I did when I was young and that was a long time ago. But I’ll be in the middle of a conversation and someplace I’ve been or someone I knew, etc will come up and the fact I was in the service will come in ancillarily and it’s immediately “Thank you for your service”. It interrupts the flow of the conversation and I have to throw out a thank you then try to get the convo back on track…. It’s a whole deal. Maybe if I had a service caused disability it would mean something to me, IDK. Happy Veterans Day BTW!

• Like 8

Maybe more Random Thought material. Thank you for your service. This annoys me for some reason. People just use it as a meaningless auto response like a “bless you” after a sneeze. I know for some guys it is, but for me being a veteran isn’t my entire identity, it’s just something I did when I was young and that was a long time ago. But I’ll be in the middle of a conversation and someplace I’ve been or someone I knew, etc will come up and the fact I was in the service will come in ancillarily and it’s immediately “Thank you for your service”. It interrupts the flow of the conversation and I have to throw out a thank you then try to get the convo back on track…. It’s a whole deal. Maybe if I had a service caused disability it would mean something to me, IDK. Happy Veterans Day BTW!

Sure, but “thank you for being a dumbass who made poor financial decisions after basic and banged skanks in Killeen who were looking for a ring” takes too long to say.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Thank you for your service.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

One of my uncles (U.S. Army-Vietnam) is extremely introverted.  Like me IRL, does not like talking to people.  Another uncle (U.S. Navy-Vietnam).  Is very outgoing and social.  But they had a running gag for awhile at events/gatherings where, like you point out, the introverted uncle had a hard time getting the conversation back on track which he didn't even want to engage in to begin with after somebody politely said, "Thank you for your service."  So my other uncle would say, "And thank you for your pervis."  Invariably somebody'd ask "did you say service or pervis?"  Social uncle would say, "Yes, pervis.  The courtyard area in front of a church."  Non-vet would ask, "Oh okay.  So a pervis is not like a pervert or anything?"  Quiet uncle would say, "Well, depends on the guy inside the church."  Keep in mind between these two guys, they could outdrink an entire Air Cav platoon.  

Heading down to the Veteran's Day parade in a few.  Y'all enjoy your day.  Pervs! 

Edited by YGIFS

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, but “thank you for being a dumbass who made poor financial decisions after basic and banged skanks in Killeen who were looking for a ring” takes too long to say.

PFC finished basic training starter kit. 
IMG_2162.jpeg.49f78417829960b3038c0b8fe9c176df.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

It comes across as "Damn I'm glad I wasn't as dumb as you."  It almost makes me laugh, but yeah, most of the time it is very respectful so I just say thanks.

I got my reward in serving from the ongoing comradery with other veterans and now even with my kids.  There were some lifelong lessons that SHOULD make you less gullible or naïve towards other people.  It just feels weird every year to hear stuff at work at Veterans Day.  Probably my favorite thing is when someone says, "i had no idea you were in the Marines," which yeah, blows up a lot of stereotypes; but I just don't bring it up unless someone else initiates the convo like you describe above.  I know when I leave the room, they are like, "Damn, he doesn't even  yell that much..." or "Why doesn't he have stickers all over his truck?"

On 11/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, slorch said:

It comes across as "Damn I'm glad I wasn't as dumb as you."  It almost makes me laugh, but yeah, most of the time it is very respectful so I just say thanks.

I got my reward in serving from the ongoing comradery with other veterans and now even with my kids.  There were some lifelong lessons that SHOULD make you less gullible or naïve towards other people.  It just feels weird every year to hear stuff at work at Veterans Day.  Probably my favorite thing is when someone says, "i had no idea you were in the Marines," which yeah, blows up a lot of stereotypes; but I just don't bring it up unless someone else initiates the convo like you describe above.  I know when I leave the room, they are like, "Damn, he doesn't even  yell that much..." or "Why doesn't he have stickers all over his truck?"

Just now, YGIFS said:

'Cause we all know Marines can't figure out how stickers work ;)  

Only have a 3 marines between both sides of my family, and they all keep a low profile about it, as you described.  But just the other day, I found an American Legion/Navy sticker my dad had ordered for his truck shortly before he died.  He spoke about his service frequently with me, some family, and some of his Navy buddies (they served in the Vietnam era).  But he didn't talk about it at work or friends or neighbors.  But it was a different time too.  Every family where I grew up, had several members who served.  Obviously because draft era but also enlistees and officers as well.  They spoke about it a bit, but it wasn't a big topic except on Memorial Day and they were half in the bag talking about missed friends.  But yeah, if I walked out to the patio and said "Thank you for your service" to my dad's Navy buddies or my Uncle and cousin in the Corps, everybody'd be like "What the fuck is wrong with your son, Ralph?  Tell him to get me another beer."  We were just always around other veteran families.  

We live on a little street with 11 homes.  Every Veterans Day (and many other related holidays), I take my daughters outside to hang the flag and show them a proper salute and posture as my father showed me and his father before him.  We are the only family that puts one out on the street, no biggie.  But last year, my neighbor's dad was in town on this weekend (USAF) and he asked my neighbor's wife to take a photo of us (I didn't know it at the time).  She sent it afterwards of me standing with the girls putting up the colors.  She said it made his day to see somebody of my age taking a quiet moment to mark the Day.  We talked later on about all the men in my family and their service in war and peacetime (mostly war, we're grumpy like that) and his time during Vietnam.  So we're two families out of eleven with a service tradition.  Again, I didn't do shit.  But 2 outta 11.  In Texas.  There was a time it would be the opposite ratio not that long ago.  

I can remember dozens of barbecues and fishing trips listening to those men in my family and their friends swapping stories about their time.  And I just listened intently.  And laughed when they laughed and got quiet when they got quiet.  It was just part of growing up.  And now my children won't know how to engage in a conversation about stuff like that, if they ever even hear one in the first place.  Because ironically, of what those guys did.  As my grandfather used to say, "We went into the North Atlantic and then into the South Pacific, so you wouldn't have to."  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Bless your heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1