Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Refusing to scroll through 357 pages but I know this was covered before:

people who talk/scroll/whatever on their phone and/or have zero awareness while entering highway on ramps. The purpose of the on ramp is to merge traffic safely with the traffic currently on the highway. That means paying attention to THAT traffic and its progress, whether 75/80 mph or crawling due to who knows what--probably some idiot like them on a further down the road on ramp who, in the same soporific state of stupidity, think that going 35 mph is somehow going to miraculously create a smooth merging experience for all. Makes me surly every time and today was no exception. And no, I am not driving while I type this.

Well, when else do you expect me to check the dumbass FB thread to see the latest gem that @Vic Mackey or @SurlyBDR have posted?!?

Edited by nnm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The fact refrigerator drawers and their rails are plastic and always break. Like I paid 2K for this...can you add some metal or something so they don't break.

As far as quality goes, refrigerators these days can’t hold a candle to their ancestors. The old Frigidaires or Amanas would run for 30-40 years with absolutely no issues. These days the feature-packed units are good for 10 years max. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Went to Jo's. Got burger, fries, iced turbo.  $21 or something. Wiped off my dirty table so I'd have a place to sit. Bussed my stuff, (including wiping off for the next person) as I went out per the instructions. What is the appropriate iPad tip? 18, 20, and 22% were my options.

One on hand, they literally did nothing.  I am my own waiter there.  It's an obvious thing we beef about on here a lot. 

But on the other hand being a little more serious, is this just the way that the world works now?  I make enough that I don't have to grouse about $3.  Is this just the way you give back? Is this the way we make sure our fellow man is taken care of now?  Or am I just playing into the owner's hands.  They basically don't have to pay employees anymore because they know everyone gets a couple of bucks voluntarily per customer.  The owners have figured out a new way to squeeze.  Those 'tips,' are just what used to be wages, and those wages are now just owner's profits.

Can't decide if I should be Mr Pink: Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it.  But what I won't do is play ball; or should I recognize that this is the new economy?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 6

55 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Went to Jo's. Got burger, fries, iced turbo.  $21 or something. Wiped off my dirty table so I'd have a place to sit. Bussed my stuff, (including wiping off for the next person) as I went out per the instructions. What is the appropriate iPad tip? 18, 20, and 22% were my options.

One on hand, they literally did nothing.  I am my own waiter there.  It's an obvious thing we beef about on here a lot. 

But on the other hand being a little more serious, is this just the way that the world works now?  I make enough that I don't have to grouse about $3.  Is this just the way you give back? Is this the way we make sure our fellow man is taken care of now?  Or am I just playing into the owner's hands.  They basically don't have to pay employees anymore because they know everyone gets a couple of bucks voluntarily per customer.  The owners have figured out a new way to squeeze.  Those 'tips,' are just what used to be wages, and those wages are now just owner's profits.

Can't decide if I should be Mr Pink: Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it.  But what I won't do is play ball; or should I recognize that this is the new economy?

Yeah, I'm not tipping at counter service places anymore (unless I've got some ridiculous order or something). It's gone too far, only way it goes back is us not paying. You would never have been asked to tip at a place like that 5 or 10 years ago, why do they all of a sudden feel they can ask? (all while raising prices more than enough to cover inflation and such)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 1/9/2024 at 10:52 AM, Vic Mackey said:

The amount of Buccees billboards. And they start like 80 miles away and are seemingly there every mile. With them building the one in Hillsboro, I'll see them the entire way down 35 pretty much to Temple.

Same BS Stuckeys used to do with their billboards. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 11:52 AM, Vic Mackey said:

The amount of Buccees billboards. And they start like 80 miles away and are seemingly there every mile. With them building the one in Hillsboro, I'll see them the entire way down 35 pretty much to Temple.

RIP Burma-Shave. 

As an old fan of X-Files, I was always annoyed when Fox and Dana would drive up to a building at night: the building had some lights on both exterior and interior so it seemed the power was working.  They would go inside and enter the room they were looking for and immediately turn on their flashlights to start searching the room...this always annoyed me because I just wanted to yell "HEY, turn the light switch on, there's obviously power in the building!"   

But I guess they needed to create suspense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 1/11/2024 at 2:50 PM, nnm said:

As far as quality goes, refrigerators these days can’t hold a candle to their ancestors. The old Frigidaires or Amanas would run for 30-40 years with absolutely no issues. These days the feature-packed units are good for 10 years max. 

RIP to our Kenmore. It lasted for a long long time. Basic model with freezer on the top. Bought a Whirlpool that was similar but it is a pale pale imitation of our former soldier.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not exactly shart thread material, but when you have a bit of an urgent need while @ a business (grocery store, restaurant, etc.) & want to wipe down the seat in a restroom before you go but the paper roll seems to have Ø findable start to the roll... cannot figure out where the leading edge is.

& Then your urgency seems to compound.

ADDED: Horrible, sand paper type single ply is a great way to say "We don't care. Go shit somewhere else."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My parents still have the fridge from my childhood as their garage fridge.  I’m 48.

I have a 30 YO beer fridge that we got when we first got married.  It has been on beer fridge duty since about 2003.  We are on our 3rd &*(^%$^&*( piece of shit fancy pants refrigerator in our kitchen since we did that 'upgrade.'

Wasn't my decision, but wife won't even talk about it any more.  I just laugh...and grab a cold drink.

announcers talking about NFL playoff "seeds."  the NFL playoffs are not seeded.  the NFL playoffs are determined by record and a few tie breakers that largely involve record.  there is no seeding process.  seeding is when a committee sits around and picks who plays who based on eye tests and formulas because there's not enough matches or games between the contenders to use something like records, head to head, net points scored, etc.  it's used for tennis tournaments and the NCAA tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, slorch said:

I have a 30 YO beer fridge that we got when we first got married.  It has been on beer fridge duty since about 2003.  We are on our 3rd &*(^%$^&*( piece of shit fancy pants refrigerator in our kitchen since we did that 'upgrade.'

Wasn't my decision, but wife won't even talk about it any more.  I just laugh...and grab a cold drink.

After my first divorce I had just about zero furniture, just a few heirloom pieces from my grandmother that had to practically beat my ex’s lawyer over the head to keep.  Anyway, my gf (the second ex) and I had just rented a place when the family butchered a few head of longhorns and distributed the meat among the 4 kids.  I needed to find a freezer quick.  I was driving though the neighborhood and saw an old chest freezer in someone’s driveway with a for sale sign on it so I stopped and bought it for like 50 bucks.  That was 1995 and I figured I’d get a new one eventually.  When I downsized my house 1n 2015 I didn’t need it anymore so I gave it it my 2nd ex and she still has it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Also, fuck the Houston Marathon

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

cities shouldnt be shut down just so a few annoying people can exercise

Sorry about your diebeetus. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Diners/Waitresses that will pour maybe 2/3 a cup of coffee. Your cheap ass drip swill is probably the highest margin item in the joint. Fill it the fuck up!
Places with a Keurig (my kid's orthodontist) who have a shit ton of coffee cups, some weird ass tea & Ø hot chcolate.

Not everyone drinks coffee (me... i don't) & especially the average teenaged patient.

6 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Places with a Keurig (my kid's orthodontist) who have a shit ton of coffee cups, some weird ass tea & Ø hot chcolate.

Not everyone drinks coffee (me... i don't) & especially the average teenaged patient.

Well…I assume that’s what the tea and hot chocolate is for. What’s the issue here?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, BearMace said:

Diners/Waitresses that will pour maybe 2/3 a cup of coffee. Your cheap ass drip swill is probably the highest margin item in the joint. Fill it the fuck up!

I disagree.  I only pour my own coffee cups halfway.  I like my coffee hot.  If I fill it all the way up, it'll be cool/cold by the time I get to the second half.  As long as they keep the 1/2 cup refills flowing, I like it that way.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 12:03 PM, BearMace said:

That would be fine if they came by frequently to refill your cup. That could keep your coffee from ever getting cold.

Any chance they were doing that?

48 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That would be fine if they came by frequently to refill your cup. That could keep your coffee from ever getting cold.

Any chance they were doing that?

Zero chance, hence the trivial surliness. 

My daughter mailed a package to us on December 27 at Springfield, OR.  According to USPS tracking, it arrived at the North Houston distribution center, about an hour's drive from me, 3 days, 7 hours after she mailed it.  The package just arrived at my doorstep, 17 days, 18 hours after getting to Houston.  Absolutely ridiculous.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My daughter mailed a package to us on December 27 at Springfield, OR.  According to USPS tracking, it arrived at the North Houston distribution center, about an hour's drive from me, 3 days, 7 hours after she mailed it.  The package just arrived at my doorstep, 17 days, 18 hours after getting to Houston.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Oh yes, the USPS black hole lol

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

USPS is awful. No accountability. Their prices are also now through the roof. Recently, I finished a book and wanted to send it to my sister in ABQ.  Had to go to the post office anyway so took the book in a box.  It was going to be something like $25 to mail the book at the cheapest possible rate. The stinking thing only cost $15 delivered from Amazon!  Needless to say, I did not mail the book but just bought another copy for her. 

UPS might actually be worse. If, for whatever reason, the sender required signature for delivery, and you happen to not sit at home 24/7 waiting for the UPS guy, you’re screwed. There is no way to get ahold of them. You can try their phone number, but you have to input the tracking number by voice (not phone number pad), and does not recognize the numbers. I tried this with three different people (had 3 different friends try to speak the number), using all 4 chances you get in a phone call, and never was able to get past that dead trap in the help loop. Package got returned. 

Edited by nnm
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, nnm said:

USPS is awful. No accountability. Their prices are also now through the roof. Recently, I finished a book and wanted to send it to my sister in ABQ.  Had to go to the post office anyway so took the book in a box.  It was going to be something like $25 to mail the book at the cheapest possible rate. The stinking thing only cost $15 delivered from Amazon!  Needless to say, I did not mail the book but just bought another copy for her. 

UPS might actually be worse. If, for whatever reason, the sender required signature for delivery, and you happen to not sit at home 24/7 waiting for the UPS guy, you’re screwed. There is no way to get ahold of them. You can try their phone number, but you have to input the tracking number by voice (not phone number pad), and does not recognize the numbers. I tried this with three different people (had 3 different friends try to speak the number), using all 4 chances you get in a phone call, and never was able to get past that dead trap in the help loop. Package got returned. 

My favorite is when you buy something online, pay for shipping, and you get notification that it's been "shipped" (which actually means "they've created an address label"). One week later, the item is finally picked up by FedEx. 2 days later: travels from one side of the country to the next. Next day: delivered to USPS in your city. One week later: out for delivery. 3 days later: delivered to house two streets away

If I'd wanted to use the USPS, I'd have chosen that option. The unholy alliance between USPS and FedEx is beyond turrible.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

10 hours ago, NWBuck said:

My favorite is when you buy something online, pay for shipping, and you get notification that it's been "shipped" (which actually means "they've created an address label"). One week later, the item is finally picked up by FedEx. 2 days later: travels from one side of the country to the next. Next day: delivered to USPS in your city. One week later: out for delivery. 3 days later: delivered to house two streets away

If I'd wanted to use the USPS, I'd have chosen that option. The unholy alliance between USPS and FedEx is beyond turrible.

Had that happen with my wife's Christmas present, which was two books I bought off Amazon.  it was purchased on the 15th, then a day or two later said it was handed off to a third party shipping company, where it sat for 6 days.  Then arrived to USPS in Austin on the 23rd, but wasn't able to make it to the house until the 26th or 27th.  For a company that made their start on selling books, why the hell can't you get a book in less than 10 days?!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 11:03 AM, BearMace said:

I drink my coffee w/ cream & sugar. My pet peeve is cafe waitresses who automatically top off my cup without asking.  I put in the perfect combination of cream and sugar and she just fucked it up by filling it to the top.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I drink my coffee w/ cream & sugar. My pet peeve is cafe waitresses who automatically top off my cup without asking.  I put in the perfect combination of cream and sugar and she just fucked it up by filling it to the top.  

Also a serious offense. I can't tell you how many times I've seen my dad nearly get scalded trying to stop a top up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Social media ads: EVERY damn add posted on the bookface is some company pairing with an influencer to make an ad.  I firmly believe the downfall of our society is SM influencers, and now I get eye-raped with some dumb ass 20-something that has nothing better to add to society than creating an ad with Pantene for cunt hair shampoo and conditioner?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

No hot chocolate.
How is this difficult to understand?78a9652112a382fa9c19d2ce1476c2b5.jpg

How about this…type out a word in a post full of words if that’s what you mean to say. Or maybe understand that an orthodontist might not think hot chocolate is great for your kids teeth. Or don’t be such a picky bitch about something someone has put out for free as a courtesy. 
Or go fuck yourself.  Your choice. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

Social media ads: EVERY damn add posted on the bookface is some company pairing with an influencer to make an ad.  I firmly believe the downfall of our society is SM influencers, and now I get eye-raped with some dumb ass 20-something that has nothing better to add to society than creating an ad with Pantene for cunt hair shampoo and conditioner?
We are being advertised to ad nauseum. Billboards, online ads, tv ads. Just ads every place you go to. It's ridiculous.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1