Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Just now, slorch said:

" honoring the personal space"  LOlz.

Scoot your ass up so people can get out of the way.

you're not checking out any earlier because i move a foot forward you goddamn fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

you're not checking out any earlier because i move a foot forward you goddamn fucking moron.

That's not the point.  It is the lateral traffic behind me, self-important guy.

Still guessing the 4" gap was a hint to move the fuck up in the line.

Edited by slorch

22 minutes ago, slorch said:

There's no lateral traffic. It's a 100' long corral at the front of Marshalls or Maxx or whatever hellscape I was in and we were just about to the end of it. I moved up and that asshole immediately moved his cart right up on me. 

So, pretty please with sugar on top, Fuck. Off.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Move your ass up then, so I can get out of people's way.  Lollygaggers on their phones, or visiting with Kevin from down the street need to STFU and move their ass.

Full disclosure:  going through a traditional line is last resort for me anyhoo.  I MUCH prefer self check-out, and yes, I am faster/ more efficient with the bagging and payment.

Careful. I know some Kevin’s that. Can kill gorillas.  22% at least

4 hours ago, slorch said:

" honoring the personal space"  LOlz.

Scoot your ass up so people can get out of the way.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Public or not, back off man. Line ain’t going any faster with you on my ass.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:28 AM, Sandman said:

I dropped off a package at the UPS store. As I was walking towards the door, I see a small woman approaching, carrying a large box. She has a child following behind her, also carrying a box. They were a good 30 feet away as I exited the store, so I waited and held the door open so both could enter. Not only does she refuse to acknowledge what I did, she had a look of distain on her face, like "Ugh, this asshole!". Now, I'm not asking for her to get teared up and act like I just saved her from a rapist, but you can't even mutter a simple "Thanks" ? What a bitch.

Pick a tense, either tense, and stick with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

More efficient than working the teller at the bank?

Yes, especially when the bitch can't reason worth a fuck.

On 2/3/2024 at 5:05 PM, slorch said:

Go to cash a check at my bank( national chain.)  I produce Drivers License and have already written endorsement & my account number on back of check.

Hand them to teller and tell her I need it cashed.

" Please insert your debit card and enter your pin.  There may be fees associated with this transaction."

"For a $75 check on an account in use since 1989?  Just cash the check.  You have everything you need."

Manager gives her the nod to do it.  Why?  Why the fuck are the extra steps even needed, and why can't people have any awareness?  MUST STICK TO SCRIPT!!!

I'm just gonna start burying my money in the back yard.

Long time ago, I was on a lunch break in a "bad" part of town and stopped by a Bank of America to open a new account. I legitimately just wanted a spare 2nd account for ATM access to get "walking around money".  This 20 something whatever retail clerk could not break out of her NPC script.

"Hi I'd like to open a checking account.  Could you show me the options you have and the fee schedule"

What would you like to use the account for?

"For basic checking. e.g. To use ATMs.  Do you have a brochure?"

Sure, but first let me ask something, how often do you plan to deposit money into it.

"I dont know.  Occasionally.  This wont be my primary account.  Is there an account comparison I can look at?"

Around how much money will you regularly put into it?  (i can literally see she's walking through some sort of dialogue tree)

"Listen, can I just see like a table of the accounts you offer, if you have that?"

Sir, I have to ask you these questions.  This is how we do the procedure here.

"Really I just want to see if there's extra fees for services I might not use.  Do you have that information...?"

She brings a manager over.  He basically starts back from ground 0 with the same question again. 

I walk out.  Never touch BOA.. and never go to a bank in the hood

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Long time ago, I was on a lunch break in a "bad" part of town and stopped by a Bank of America to open a new account. I legitimately just wanted a spare 2nd account for ATM access to get "walking around money".  This 20 something whatever retail clerk could not break out of her NPC script.

"Hi I'd like to open a checking account.  Could you show me the options you have and the fee schedule"

Sure, but first let me ask something, how often do you plan to deposit money into it.

"I dont know.  Occasionally.  This wont be my primary account.  Is there an account comparison I can look at?"

Around how much money will you regularly put into it?  (i can literally see she's walking through some sort of dialogue tree)

"Listen, can I just see like a table of the accounts you offer, if you have that?"

"Really I just want to see if there's extra fees for services I might not use.  Do you have that information...?"

She brings a manager over.  He basically starts back from ground 0 with the same question again. 

Had a very similar experience w/ BOA when my ex-fiance and I went to open a joint checking account a few years ago.  I didn't have an account there but she did.  Went through a lot of the same shit and I ended up walking.  So fucking frustrating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Hospital bedside tables. - why is it that with 4 wheel, only 2 of them pivot & it often seems that actually 3 of the 4 don't swivel?

I read recently that the United States crossed a threshold recently.  We now use the majority (50% + 1) of all tennis balls for things other than tennis.  Mainly for dog play and to put on the back legs of medically issued walkers.  Which is weird to me that we can't figure out how to get hospital tables and hospital walkers to work without fucking sporting equipment.  You'd think we'd have jumped on that innovation opportunity decades ago.  But nope, the fucking tables don't move right and we still buy tennis balls for our aging parent's walkers.  

11 hours ago, Ignatius said:

More efficient than working the teller at the bank?

I actually walked into a bank branch again the other day just  to see what it was like in there now and to cash some class-action check my wife got from Apple.  I had the deposit slip all filled out from the wife and I was gonna grab a $10 bill to have some baller walking around money on me.  I was the only human customer inside the branch.  And it took her probably a solid 7 minutes to complete the transaction.  I had to use my debit card and PIN (which I can never remember).  Show my ID to prove that I was JTWROS on my wife's account (we've been banking there for 20 fucking years).  And then she had to get a manager with a key to open up the fucking cash drawer.  For a $92 deposit and $10 cash back........7 minutes.  In a $35/ft NNN building with 6 employees earning on average $75,000/year.  Obviously I'll use the ATM auto deposit or the app next time, but I hadn't been inside this particular branch in a long while.  I was just stunned.  I mean good for her for making a nice living doing absolutely nothing, but it gets passed down to me eventually in higher fees on my HELOC.  What in the fuck are we still doing opening up urban bank branches?  

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I'd have lost my shit with her and the manager both.

I banked with BOA from the early 90s until about 2003 and they were great. From everything I've heard the last several years they have really fell off the cliff.

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I read recently that the United States crossed a threshold recently.  We now use the majority (50% + 1) of all tennis balls for things other than tennis.  Mainly for dog play and to put on the back legs of medically issued walkers.  Which is weird to me that we can't figure out how to get hospital tables and hospital walkers to work without fucking sporting equipment.  You'd think we'd have jumped on that innovation opportunity decades ago.  But nope, the fucking tables don't move right and we still buy tennis balls for our aging parent's walkers.  

I actually walked into a bank branch again the other day just  to see what it was like in there now and to cash some class-action check my wife got from Apple.  I had the deposit slip all filled out from the wife and I was gonna grab a $10 bill to have some baller walking around money on me.  I was the only human customer inside the branch.  And it took her probably a solid 7 minutes to complete the transaction.  I had to use my debit card and PIN (which I can never remember).  Show my ID to prove that I was JTWROS on my wife's account (we've been banking there for 20 fucking years).  And then she had to get a manager with a key to open up the fucking cash drawer.  For a $92 deposit and $10 cash back........7 minutes.  In a $35/ft NNN building with 6 employees earning on average $75,000/year.  Obviously I'll use the ATM auto deposit or the app next time, but I hadn't been inside this particular branch in a long while.  I was just stunned.  I mean good for her for making a nice living doing absolutely nothing, but it gets passed down to me eventually in higher fees on my HELOC.  What in the fuck are we still doing opening up urban bank branches?  

Kind of like the worst service you’ll ever get in a restaurant is mid-afternoon when nobody’s there….

• Rage+1 1

Fair comparison.   But I drive by this branch on Enfield at opening, sometimes at lunch, sometimes on Fridays at 5, many Saturdays.  And there’s just never anybody there except maybe a car or two in the ATM line.  They shut down all their drive- thru lanes.  It’s a $3mm+ lot that is basically just a cash station and one dude hoping you’ll stumble inside today to rollover an IRA.  They’re dead and they don’t fucking know it yet

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Fair comparison.   But I drive by this branch on Enfield at opening, sometimes at lunch, sometimes on Fridays at 5, many Saturdays.  And there’s just never anybody there except maybe a car or two in the ATM line.  They shut down all their drive- thru lanes.  It’s a $3mm+ lot that is basically just a cash station and one dude hoping you’ll stumble inside today to rollover an IRA.  They’re dead and they don’t fucking know it yet

Something something downtown Austin post office?

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The blockbuster of the 2020s. 

• Like 1

And as irony would have it, they make most of their money in late fees and the lobby has an actual popcorn machine.  Bizarre business plan in terms of real estate.  

They’re a year away from being nothing but multi-million dollar pad sites you drive past to get the time and temperature if you accidentally forgot your phone at home.  

Dateline: ~2010 (or something like that)

Go in to cash a customer check for something like $ 6,000⁰⁰.

Teller : Oh, if you [with a check written against WF] do not have a WF account, you will need to see one of our banker associates 1st.

Me, knowing there will be a $ 4.00... maybe $ 7.00 fee: "Sure, let's move along here & gitt-er done."

"Banker associate": "Hi, so..." looks @ I.D., looks @ check, reviews payee info on computer... then spends 5 minutes asking me all sorts of script questions that are supposed to induce me to open an account & on every turn, I politely say "No, thanks... only here to cash this today so I can pay my crew.

No.

Nope.

Nyet.

Nah.

Nu - uh.

No - no - no...

Really, I simply need to cash it so my crew can get paid; they are waiting."

Eventually she says "Well... maybe you should just go & cash this with YOUR bank as I'm not going to be able to assist you."

& I find another WF branch that is maybe 1½ ~ 2 miles up the road & while I still had to "see the banker associate", this one accepted my 2 "No" answers & then walked me to the front of the line & handled everything smoove.

I may have even posted that tale back on Shag¹.

23 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Hospital bedside tables. - why is it that with 4 wheels, only 2 of them pivot & it often seems that actually 3 of the 4 don't swivel?

Or Ikea shopping carts that have 4 swiveling wheels. Seems like I spend 95% of my energy keeping it going straight, and the remaining making it go forward.

11 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Teller : Oh, if you [with a check written against WF] do not have a WF account, you will need to see one of our banker associates 1st.

Me, knowing there will be a $ 4.00... maybe $ 7.00 fee: "Sure, let's move along here & gitt-er done."

"Banker associate": "Hi, so..." looks @ I.D., looks @ check, reviews payee info on computer... then spends 5 minutes asking me all sorts of script questions that are supposed to induce me to open an account & on every turn, I politely say "No, thanks... only here to cash this today so I can pay my crew.

No.

Nope.

Nyet.

Nah.

Nu - uh.

No - no - no...

Eventually she says "Well... maybe you should just go & cash this with YOUR bank as I'm not going to be able to assist you."

& I find another WF branch that is maybe 1½ ~ 2 miles up the road & while I still had to "see the banker associate", this one accepted my 2 "No" answers & then walked me to the front of the line & handled everything smoove.

after this they probably thought ' fuck it, we'll just make the accounts on our own'

https://corpgov.law.harvard.edu/2019/02/06/the-wells-fargo-cross-selling-scandal-2/

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 5:57 PM, ROFL BOX said:

No.

Nope.

Nyet.

Nah.

Nu - uh.

No - no - no...

Even though you said no, you had a couple of new monthly account charges going forward.  It's the least they could do( during that time.)

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Every single person that lives in the general New Orleans area…why can you not just fucking drive like normal people???? And I live in the goddamn Houston area. 

I’ve driven on 5 continents, in some of the lowest-developed countries in the world. They all have bad traffic, and all have bad manners in traffic. In most of those countries, signs and limits are purely decoration. 
But once you get used to the informal rules of the road in any of those countries, they’re fairly predictable and you can be reasonably safe. 

IMHO, the problem in Houston (lived there for 20 years) is that people from all those countries, plus ignorant Americans, are thrown together with no common understanding of what the informal rules are. They all try to use the informal rules from wherever they came from, but all of those informal rules are different. You have no idea if the guy approaching from a cross street is going to respect the sign or traffic signal. You have no idea what the expectations are for merging. It’s a complete crapshow. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Every single person that lives in the general New Orleans area…why can you not just fucking drive like normal people???? And I live in the goddamn Houston area. 

Try driving in Mexico, it will make NO seem like heaven.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nnm said:

I’ve driven on 5 continents, in some of the lowest-developed countries in the world. They all have bad traffic, and all have bad manners in traffic. In most of those countries, signs and limits are purely decoration. 
But once you get used to the informal rules of the road in any of those countries, they’re fairly predictable and you can be reasonably safe. 

IMHO, the problem in Houston (lived there for 20 years) is that people from all those countries, plus ignorant Americans, are thrown together with no common understanding of what the informal rules are. They all try to use the informal rules from wherever they came from, but all of those informal rules are different. You have no idea if the guy approaching from a cross street is going to respect the sign or traffic signal. You have no idea what the expectations are for merging. It’s a complete crapshow. 

This also applies to Miami.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nnm said:

I have been to over 30 different countries. The only countries that I feel confident driving In consistently is the UK and Australia. China and India are a hard “no”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I have been to over 30 different countries. The only countries that I feel confident driving In consistently is the UK and Australia. China and India are a hard “no”.

Yes. I only drive outside of the US if I absolutely have to. 

12 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Try driving in Mexico, it will make NO seem like heaven.

One of the most white knuckle, shart inducing rides of my life was from the airport to Punta Sam.

The acceptable levels of aggression, lane changing and driving the wrong way in the wrong lane is astounding.

And it's all done without hostility or angry gestures at other drivers. It's just the way it's done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

And Los Angeles.

I've lived in both cities, and while LA is a lot more geographically spread out such that there are some areas that are better than others in this respect, I think that overall, LA drivers get an undeserved reputation for being bad. They are impatient and expect you to have your shit together, but they will allow you to merge or change lanes in circumstances when a Miami driver would deliberately squeeze you out. 

I am a very fast and aggressive driver, and I fucking loved driving on the freeways in Miami. If you're an apex predator, you can drive with near impunity. Miami surface streets are Thunderdome though. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Cross-posted from the HS thread because it’s applicable for this reply:

Saw almost this exact thing happen in Korea.  We were road marching through a small town and down a steep, winding street to a river bypass (couldn't use the bridge due to weight limit) and my buddy was driving 50 meters or so in front of me. Transmission, which functions as the brakes on a tank, got too hot and decided it didn't want to engage, so he slewed around a curve on this narrow village street and rolled right over a Hyundai parked on the side of the road.  Only got it with the right track but didn't slow him down at all.  Eventually he was able to turn on a side street going back up the hill to stop.  That guy got a new car on Uncle Sam.  Luckily he wasn't in it.

Talking about lunatic drivers.  We were on your way to a training area and not 2 miles out of the gate at Camp Casey and the road narrowed from 3 lanes to 2.  Company of 14 tanks with support vehicles tooling along at 20 mph with lunatic civilian drivers all trying to get past us before the right lane ended.  Last guy cut it a little too close and got the drivers side of his car into the track.  Track peeled it open like a sardine can and pulled the driver into the sprocket.  Cut him in half before the TC could tell the driver to stop the tank.  Ugly scene.  I didn't see it happen just the aftermath.  Never knew a human body had so much blood before that.  The thing that still sticks in my mind 30 years later is waiting for the police to show up and other Koreans are running over and grabbing loose money from the blood pool and running off.  I guess he had some cash in his pockets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 2/5/2024 at 8:18 AM, YGIFS said:

This is all by design so you will just use the auto deposit and eventually the bank will not have to employ tellers. They are just trying to speed that along. 

Texas is the worst driving in the US in my experience.

Although after having a taxi driver in Belgrade take my coworker and I in the wrong direction on a highway ramp... I'll not complain about Texas drivers for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This is all by design so you will just use the auto deposit and eventually the bank will not have to employ tellers. They are just trying to speed that along. 

I totally agree, but the big question remains---what the fuck do they do with all their real estate?  Banks are notorious for absolutely prime spots.  And the majority of their spaces can't be flipped into a different usage model that easily without a fuckton of TI/investments.  

22 hours ago, nnm said:

I’ve driven in Central and South Asia and I can say that you cannot be reasonably safe there. 

In Uzbekistan many drivers turn off their headlights and night because they believe it saves gas and also a lot of cars have shade-tree conversions to natural gas and they are extremely explodey. 

Balkans was mostly fine except Kosovo. Rest of Europe OK. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

To add to traffic talk.

Driving in LA in the rain and dark is an absolute shit show. The freeway striping is faint, and the reflective markers are almost non-existent. I’m surprised there haven’t been more accidents with the amount of rain we’ve gotten the past 4 days.