Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

I dropped my Apple pencil and broke the plastic tip. I replaced the tip, just the tip, but the damn thing isn't working. It looks like else broke and now it's not working.

I can ask the company for another one, but since I was the one broke it, I don't mind using a faux gen 2 Apple pencil. Any recommendations?

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

A day late... but was the eclipse the only news story yesterday? I was listening to NPR during my commute to LA, and they mentioned it at least 10+ times in the span of 45 minutes. F'n annoying.

Sounds like someone didn’t see totality. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

the worst part about your wife getting you an espresso maker is having to jerk off the steaming wand every use.

I wouldn’t say that’s the worst thing. Just regular marital relations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Sidewalk on west side of street.  I walk dog on east side of street with traffic.  I wear earbuds.  I no care.  

IMG_0222.jpeg

I always go into traffic while on foot.  Never understood people who don't.

It's a little bit like how I shake my head when I see people cycling the hilly, narrow country roads in my area.  I'm an AVID cyclist, but we have tons of paved trails, and the risk of getting hit on these roads is so high due to their construction and the local geography that I just can't relate to people who eschew the safety of the trail just to mix up the scenery a little bit.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I always go into traffic while on foot.  Never understood people who don't.

Sometimes the with-traffic side is more walkable and I'll walk on that side. Definitely makes me more nervous though.

Saw a woman walking down the middle lane of a road with a 40 mph speed limit a few weeks ago.  Saw sirens in the rearview mirror so I’m guessing it was handled pretty quickly.  Coit in between Arapaho and Campbell for the Dallasites.

NFL mock drafts

On 4/8/2024 at 11:13 AM, Sam Lin said:

The ctrl alt delete keystroke is there to prevent someone making an app to capture your login that mimics the actual login screen. From a basically security standpoint it should not be disabled.

ctrl-alt-del is obsolete these days. You can just hit the space bar and it's just a secure. Even more secure these days with Windows Hello

Edited by mycox

People that seemingly don't know how middle turn lanes work.

Living in Montrose and having to navigate Westheimer and W. Alabama frequently I see it EVERY day.

Thank god they changed the contra-flow lanes on Alabama...Jesus that was a cluster for some folks to grasp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, mycox said:

NFL mock drafts

ctrl-alt-del is obsolete these days. You can just hit the space bar and it's just a secure. Even more secure these days with Windows Hello

22 hours ago, mycox said:

NFL mock drafts

How do you feel about nfl mock drafts?

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Living in Montrose and having to navigate Westheimer and W. Alabama frequently I see it EVERY day.

Thank god they changed the contra-flow lanes on Alabama...Jesus that was a cluster for some folks to grasp

Completely anecdotal, but in the last week---TWICE---saw vehicles on Bee Caves Road just cruising down the turn lane for miles.  Not like what we're all guilty of when we skip on turn and then cruise up a bit to hit the next turn, but like just treating it like it was a third lane built out just for them to go multiple miles at 45mph.  

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

How do you feel about nfl mock drafts?

About how I feel about fantasy football drafts.  If it brings you great joy to be a fake administrator, have at it.  But requiring other guys to spend hours or days away from their families in addition to hundreds or even thousands of dollars, never mind the time spent throughout the season.  Just get a regular mid-life crisis hobby like cocaine or cars.  

This is Costanza-esque "we're living in a society here people" but when in backed up traffic I get annoyed by the drivers that drive on the shoulder over the solid white line, for like 1/2 a mile, to get to an upcoming side street.

Also irked because I actually got pulled over, with thankfully only a warning, for barely crossing over a solid white to go around a car sticking out when it tried to merge in.

The cop informed me it's illegal to which I wanted to reply "Glad you pulled over the 1 guy out of 10,000 that do this on a daily basis. Congrats. The city will sleep soundly tonight."

But I wisely kept my mouth shut.

9 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

You mean I'm not supposed to turn into the turn lane then merge into traffic going 50 mph?

On 4/12/2024 at 4:07 PM, gofuckyourself said:

This is Costanza-esque "we're living in a society here people" but when in backed up traffic I get annoyed by the drivers that drive on the shoulder over the solid white line, for like 1/2 a mile, to get to an upcoming side street.

Also irked because I actually got pulled over, with thankfully only a warning, for barely crossing over a solid white to go around a car sticking out when it tried to merge in.

The cop informed me it's illegal to which I wanted to reply "Glad you pulled over the 1 guy out of 10,000 that do this on a daily basis. Congrats. The city will sleep soundly tonight."

But I wisely kept my mouth shut.

Should have informed the cop he was wrong and instructed them to learn the transportation code: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm

It is not illegal to cross a single solid white line or to pass on the shoulder (for given circumstances),

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Texas007 said:

Should have informed the cop he was wrong and instructed them to learn the transportation code: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm

It is not illegal to cross a single solid white line or to pass on the shoulder (for given circumstances),

That's excellent. Thanks.

I've screenshot it and will definitely use it as needed to reduce future surliness.

Left turn signals that go to red between protected and unprotected phases. You miss the protected turn by a second and you have to stop for no reason at all to immediately turn when it goes to flashing yellow a second later. So dumb.

Awful sounding and affected New York accents.  

Examples, you ask?  Why, of course, young man; to wit:

No, no he dih-int. 

She woo-int ever do that. 

Sorry.  Picking nits after watching documentary on solving NYC murders.  Cringey accents.   Mostly women doing it. N 

16 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Awful sounding and affected New York accents.  

Examples, you ask?  Why, of course, young man; to wit:

No, no he dih-int. 

She woo-int ever do that. 

Sorry.  Picking nits after watching documentary on solving NYC murders.  Cringey accents.   Mostly women doing it. N 

Midwestern nasal accent might be worse. 

Here in Texas, the only midwest accents you really hear are Chicagoans and the occasional Michigander.  But as Al_4_ISU can tell you, there just as many nuances to "Midwest Accents" as there are Texas Accents, probably more.  The Northwoods (mainly Nordic and German) that you hear in Minnesota, Wisconsin (everywhere outside Milwaukee/Madison), and most of Michigan.  It's kinda of annoying, but not abrasive (basically sounds like 'Letterkenny').  Ohio and Indiana sound like exactly what you think of when a Midwest Accent gets Alabama pregnant.  Illinois, just because of Chicago can be tough to pinpoint if you haven't spent much time there because of all the outside influences and ethnicities.  Iowa is probably the most "neutral" midwest accent.  Not pleasing, not grating.  

The straight line from Philly through Jersey to Delaware.  That fucking accent makes my fucking teeth itch.  Just because you speak like that doesn't necessarily mandate you also have the grammar and vocabulary of a 3rd grader.  

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Here in Texas, the only midwest accents you really hear are Chicagoans and the occasional Michigander.  But as Al_4_ISU can tell you, there just as many nuances to "Midwest Accents" as there are Texas Accents, probably more.  The Northwoods (mainly Nordic and German) that you hear in Minnesota, Wisconsin (everywhere outside Milwaukee/Madison), and most of Michigan.  It's kinda of annoying, but not abrasive (basically sounds like 'Letterkenny').  Ohio and Indiana sound like exactly what you think of when a Midwest Accent gets Alabama pregnant.  Illinois, just because of Chicago can be tough to pinpoint if you haven't spent much time there because of all the outside influences and ethnicities.  Iowa is probably the most "neutral" midwest accent.  Not pleasing, not grating.  

The straight line from Philly through Jersey to Delaware.  That fucking accent makes my fucking teeth itch.  Just because you speak like that doesn't necessarily mandate you also have the grammar and vocabulary of a 3rd grader.  

Absolutely spot on.

The bulk of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, central Illinois, and non-rural Missouri have a fairly neutral accent.  Slight southern/redneck/country vibes, but pretty neutral.  One of the best examples of it I can think of is ISU's old PxP guy Pete Taylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5lfy9f-MUw

The Minnesota/Wisconsin accent extends into northern Iowa and most of the Dakotas.  There's even a difference between Minnesota and Wisconsin if you know what to listen for.  I live in the northeast part of Iowa and even that specific region has a mix of the Minnesota and Wisconsin variations because it's kinda surrounded by both, and culturally isolated from the rest of Iowa (most of our local media comes out of Rochester MN or La Crosse WI for example).  Farther west of me along the northern border, it's indistinguishable from the Minnesota accent.

The eastern Midwest is something I don't have much experience with.  I haven't been east of Milwaukee since probably 2017 or so.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

What are the decorum rules on the spam calls from India?  These are human beings, so I want to treat them as such.  But their jobs are just to lie to me, so I want to treat them as such.  But that might be the only gainful employment for them, so I want to treat them as such.

Same as Russian Ransomware employees.  Same as thieves.  When your livelihood is doing knowingly illegal and malicious activities, you can go F yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My wife would drive you insane.  It's not nasally, but she sounds like she came off the set of Fargo.

Something something last night. 

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

Same as Russian Ransomware employees.  Same as thieves.  When your livelihood is doing knowingly illegal and malicious activities, you can go F yourself.

This.  Jeez, OJ was a human being too.  

Incessant emails from Amazon that read “NNM, will you rate your transaction at Amazon with [random vendor]?

No, I won’t. I bought a widget, they sold it to me.  It’s called commerce. If I like it and need more of it and they delivered a quality product in a timely fashion, I’ll order it again. If the quality was crap, or it was late, or I didn’t need it after all, then I’ll return it or choose another vendor.

But I’m not going to play your ratings game. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, nnm said:

Incessant emails from Amazon that read “NNM, will you rate your transaction at Amazon with [random vendor]?

No, I won’t. I bought a widget, they sold it to me.  It’s called commerce. If I like it and need more of it and they delivered a quality product in a timely fashion, I’ll order it again. If the quality was crap, or it was late, or I didn’t need it after all, then I’ll return it or choose another vendor.

7/10; would probably read again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, nnm said:

My favorite is I still have not received the item. Review what dumbasses.

• Rage+1 2

Every car self-wash station ive used have had fake timers. E.g. you get 5 minutes of usage time, but the timer shows 15:00 and runs 3x fast. 

Whats the fucking point? Theres no price negotiation. Ive already agreed to use your station. Why not show the true timer so I can understand how much longer ive got left. 

38 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Every car self-wash station ive used have had fake timers. E.g. you get 5 minutes of usage time, but the timer shows 15:00 and runs 3x fast. 

Whats the fucking point? Theres no price negotiation. Ive already agreed to use your station. Why not show the true timer so I can understand how much longer ive got left. 

The one I go to just charges your credit card for the total time from start to finish, regardless of which of the 12 presets you use.

Pretty nice not to have to fumble with quarters, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The one I go to just charges your credit card for the total time from start to finish, regardless of which of the 12 presets you use.

Pretty nice not to have to fumble with quarters, etc. 

The hard part about those is having to get a new Credit Card after the card skimmer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, nnm said:

On the flip side, I run businesses via Amazon (and elsewhere) and reviews make a significant difference to income and long-term success.

But I prefer your view, ignoring them, to those I've dealt with who leave terrible reviews for small issues, easily-addressed. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:06 PM, MissingInAction said:

Jfc, if your BMI is over 50 please don't wear black yoga pants. You look like a 300 pound sausage over cooked in a microwave.

i encountered at least half a dozen wildebeasts in cream/light colored yoga pants at the ATL airport last weekend.

Indianajones GIF by CBS

Also the societal acceptance of wearing pajamas to the airport needs to DIAF.  Tracksuit if you must, but my lord the fucking roll out of bed slobs are too much.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

i encountered at least half a dozen wildebeasts in cream/light colored yoga pants at the ATL airport last weekend.

Indianajones GIF by CBS

Also the societal acceptance of wearing pajamas to the airport needs to DIAF.  Tracksuit if you must, but my lord the fucking roll out of bed slobs are too much.

I miss the days of my childhood where people actually dressed up to fly somewhere.  Now days, hopefully you don't get stuck next to someone in yoga pants that requires two seats to fly.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

The hard part about those is having to get a new Credit Card after the card skimmer.

You mean the best part. You tell the fraud dept no you weren't at the car wash and Bam! Free wash!

• Hook 'Em 1