Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Sports announcers from the Midwest who pronounce "game" as if it rhymed with "team."

Kinda like "gheem."

"The Patriots looked like they were back in that football gheem." 

I moved to Missouri from Texas a few years ago.  I have heard "warsh", seen some hideous BBQ, seen provel "cheese" on pizza, I've even eaten fried ravioli.  I have never heard anyone here pronounce game as "gheem".

1 hour ago, You don't know me said:

I moved to Missouri from Texas a few years ago.  I have heard "warsh", seen some hideous BBQ, seen provel "cheese" on pizza, I've even eaten fried ravioli.  I have never heard anyone here pronounce game as "gheem".

It's more the Ohio / PA / upstate NY crowd, and it's more people you hear on podcasts and radio rather than TV

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's more the Ohio / PA / upstate NY crowd, and it's more people you hear on podcasts and radio rather than TV

I just thought of one that is along the same lines.

As I mentioned earlier, people here say "warsh" and "quatter" instead of quarter.  It's like they take the "r" out of quarter and use it in wash.  A guy at my work is one of the offenders that I have to listen to.  A few weeks ago he was saying the word "analyze" but pronounced the first 2 syllables "anal".  So, anal-yzed.  I got a good laugh out of that one and am giggling a little now recalling it.

So, doens't make me surly, just makes me laugh.

Edited by You don't know me
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

As I mentioned earlier, people here say "warsh" and "quatter" instead of quarter.  It's like they take the "r" out of quarter and use it in wash.  A guy at my work is one of the offenders that I have to listen to.  A few weeks ago he was saying the word "analyze" but pronounced the first 2 syllables "anal".  So, anal-yzed.  I got a good laugh out of that one and am giggling a little now recalling it.

Missouri is in the weird yankee/redneck hinterland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That area's about as Midwestern as Texas is.

I've never heard anyone pronounce that word that way.  That said, there's a weird western Midwest thing (you'll hear it in Iowa/Nebraska/Missouri/Kansas) where people will turn the flat "a" into an "ay" sound.  Our old announcer would always pronounce "hashmark" as "hayshmark", for example.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

54 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I missed this post before my previous one, but this is kind of exactly what I was talking about.

"Tree Fiddy" was a funny part of blacklab's radio interview/downfall of shaggy. Otherwise it's not funny. Especially seeing it dropped every third post. 

Agreed. Hell I thought it was something the Shag created but then found out years later it was actually a South Park reference. Haven't watched that show in over a decade.

Took my kids to the TX/OU softball fundraiser game last night in Frisco.  Some of the players + MM were signing autographs.  95% of those trying to get autographs were adults, many of them holding posters from Interstellar, Dazed and Confused, etc..  I'm assuming they were trying to up the value of their merchandise with a signature.  Effing annoying that kids get crowded out so people can sell things on Ebay.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Took my kids to the TX/OU softball fundraiser game last night in Frisco.  Some of the players + MM were signing autographs.  95% of those trying to get autographs were adults, many of them holding posters from Interstellar, Dazed and Confused, etc..  I'm assuming they were trying to up the value of their merchandise with a signature.  Effing annoying that kids get crowded out so people can sell things on Ebay.

Man children.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:04 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

That reminds me, I need to get the second booster. I almost said fuck it, then I googled shingles.

Pharmacist here.  The Shingrix vaccine is very undersupplied right now and backordered everywhere.  Start working on it soon if you want any chance of getting the second dose within the recommended 6 months. 

It makes me really surly when mfr’s come out with a new product, market the hell out of it to create a huge demand (esp. for a shingles vaccine, i’ve had shingles, it is the worst), then don’t have the product to supply the demand.  Customers blame the pharmacy instead of the mfr.   sucks.  

Sorry for the thread detail, definitely not trivial.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:40 PM, Deej said:

Any bottle (mouthwash, medicine) with that annoying shrink wrap around the lid, with the spot at which you're supposed to tear it open. 9 times out of 10, that shit is still damned near impossible to open. 

Don’t you have opposable thumbs like the rest of us?

So Columbus used Spanish money, Spanish ships,  Spanish navigators, Spanish engineers, Spanish sailors, Spanish cartographers, Spanish security forces, and the endorsement of the Spanish crown...but the Italians found the New World for Europe?  

Not quite sure if serious.  Don't get me wrong, his salesmanship and leadership to stave off mutiny were both impressive for the day.  But remind me how again this was an Italian expedition and not a Spanish expedition?  In my opinion, it was the first case in a half-millennia of classic Italian behavior.  Wait for somebody to invent a worthwhile industry based on integrity and growth potential...and then extort them in an effort to siphon off what is not rightfully yours using belligerent language and a sharp jacket.  

It was Spain, not Italy that brought Europe across the Ocean.  

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

His navigator was an A-rab

He was a pretty ballsy guy, and discovered predictable sailing routes across and back over the Atlantic that were used for centuries after his discovery.  Read that in  

The Discoverers. A book written by the head librarian of the Library of Congress, and recommended by a guy on Shaggy.

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I know this has been in here before but it merits reposting due to the specifics. 

Someone sent out a email incorrectly to a company wide email address/list. 

130 replies of, "I'm not the correct person, please remove me from this distribution" later... 130... fucking replies to all.. IT comes in and says, "Stop replying to this email".

I don't work for Walmart and this wasn't Jiffylube's mechanics disty email address. 

Allegedly, these people aren't all stupid. 

FML

Yes, they are all stupid.

1 hour ago, BadgerHorn said:

Guys (and some women) with naturally higher voices who consciously force their voices lower.  I suspect this is an attempt to be taken more seriously.... only to result in vocal fry which tends to do the opposite.

I'm not sure if I've ever witnessed this, but it sounds terrible.

Vocal fry is the worst.