Orlando fired

Handcruser

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d like to believe that all these firings/reassignment will make a difference...BUT...historically, what HC’s do y’all know that have been successful when forced to do so. I mean so he hires new cooordinators etc...does this mean we’re automatically gonna be conference beaters? I just see this as the last stand of Herman’s regime. Hope I’m wrong because watching UT football for the last decade has (save a few bright spots) really sucked. 

Worked for Farmer Fran at LSU.

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think LSU caught lightning in the bottle this year with Burrow and Brady.  It's going to take a couple of years of success for me to be convinced Orgeron is a good head coach now.

How many successful coaches can you name who didn't have good players and assistant coaches?

• Like 2

Saying Beck is a bigger problem than Orlando is foolish, and a dead giveaway that you understand fuck all about football. We don't even know how much of the offensive gameplan and playcalling Beck was responsible for. Even if, for argument's sake, we assume 100 percent and he is an equally shitty coordinator to Orlando, he has value as a recruiter and a competent position coach that Orlando does not.

38 minutes ago, Colonel Mustard said:

Maybe we should let Beck coach defense for the bowl. He has a long history of being able to shut down an offense.

Notwithstanding the above, this was good. Have a rep.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d like to believe that all these firings/reassignment will make a difference...BUT...historically, what HC’s do y’all know that have been successful when forced to do so. I mean so he hires new cooordinators etc...does this mean we’re automatically gonna be conference beaters? I just see this as the last stand of Herman’s regime. Hope I’m wrong because watching UT football for the last decade has (save a few bright spots) really sucked. 

... Ed Orgeron and Lincoln Riley? The latter is a lock for the CFP and the former is likely going to make it because of coordinator changes they made after last year. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, because it often does flame out the way you describe. But if Herman goes out and gets the kind of people he should have got in the first place, it can absolutely be turned around in short order. As bad as this year was, this is still a team with a winning record with two top 10-15 recruiting classes on the roster (spare me the "2019 was #3" shit, that class has already had significant attrition) and the potential for another top ten class. It's far from unsalvageable.

• Like 2

Just now, NowThis said:

how did this staff dominate Georgia.

Georgia runs a dinosaur offense. Orlando has always performed well against those more old school "pro style" (not even the NFL is that vanilla anymore) systems, in large part because they feature inside runs right into the 4i-0-4i front and not a whole lot of QB run game, let alone RPOs. Their offense made very little effort to exploit Orlando's weaknesses. Remember how well they moved the ball at times when they spread it out and went tempo? Imagine if they bothered to give Justin Fields a look. Much like the staff here, Georgia's stubbornness on offense was its undoing.

I wouldn't say the Texas offense dominated UGA, but they capitalized on UGA turnovers, LJH is a monster, and they featured some misdirection. The latter two were missing this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Succeed at Texas and you write your ticket.  Somebody who thinks the way you do is not somebody we want.

well given the fact that I'm not in charge of the university's check book and it's not my money, I don't give a shit how much they pay. Obviously I would hope somebody actually employed by the school would though. Thought that was kinda clear, but I won't make assumptions next time

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I was as frustrated as everyone else with Orlando and it’s probably the right idea to can him, but be prepared for him to possibly do well at his next stop.

He was coaching in the most difficult league for defenses and he’s learned a lot this year that he will likely apply in the future. I could easily see him get picked up by a solid P5 program. Texas just couldn’t afford to wait for him to learn any longer.

There's plenty of room for retreads out there.  I sometimes pinch myself when I'm reminded Kevin Steele is the DC at Auburn.

17 minutes ago, demos said:

Regular sherlock fucking holmes here

I don't know: He still got it wrong. A bigger problem is how Orlando ran his scheme. Not rushing your best pass rushers and tipping your blitzes is a combination that will get you fired.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re viewing it through the Charlie / Sterlin Gilbert lens. View it after the ‘00 season when Mack changed DCs and OL coaches, and then again in ‘04 (Chizik) and then again in ‘08 (Muschamp).

I don’t know where we are. That’s up to Herman and his new coaching staff. But we have the talent - returning talent - to be no less than 10-2 next year. 

If he is 8-4 or worse he’s probably gone. I don’t think that will happen. 

Might want to keep an eye on the transfer portal and the recruiting commitments be fore you make that statement.

I will be shocked if we do not see some transfers and decommitments in the next few days.

Just now, Steamboat1874 said:

Might want to keep an eye on the transfer portal and the recruiting commitments be fore you make that statement.

I will be shocked if we do not see some transfers and decommitments in the next few days.

Sadly, replacing both coordinators and firing two assistants will result in less attrition than keeping them.  We may still see some attrition, but it won’t be as bad as if we had kept them. 

If you came to get a degree, playing time, and the experience of being a Texas Longhorn football player...and Orlando's departure is what makes you second-guess that...let me know.  I'll have you released from your letter of intent before your fax is done transmitting.  Todd Orlando is birth control against football excellence.   

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Georgia truly did not want to be there. It’s obvious now. 

That's fucking asinine. You give up when you're down 21 in the 4th quarter if you don't want to be there. You don't score 14 and go for the onside kick against a team that's gone into clock running mode if you don't want to be there. The answer is simple. SEC style offense (aka not what LSU does now) is easily countered by Orlando's defense and our offense is incredible when given a month to pick out an opposing defenses on a year's worth of film. Herman is great in bowl games because he's a great Xs & Os type coach. When Orlando doesn't have to account for a mobile QB, his lack of speed and talent in his LB unit here is hidden and his defense creates huge advantages by stopping the run with fewer people, which allows him to drop more into coverage, vary looks, and generate pressure with safety blitzes that the OL isn't ready for. If you have an immobile QB against Orlando, you're done for. We saw that against Mizzou and we saw that against Georgia, both of whom were the best offense in the SEC outside of Alabama in the years we played them. If he goes to a halfway talented SEC team, he's going to dominate everyone besides Alabama and LSU. If he goes to Wisconsin or Michigan he will every game besides Ohio State. If he goes to the Pac-12 he'll probably win every game because the Pac-12 is terrible.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re viewing it through the Charlie / Sterlin Gilbert lens. View it after the ‘00 season when Mack changed DCs and OL coaches, and then again in ‘04 (Chizik) and then again in ‘08 (Muschamp).

I don’t know where we are. That’s up to Herman and his new coaching staff. But we have the talent - returning talent - to be no less than 10-2 next year. 

If he is 8-4 or worse he’s probably gone. I don’t think that will happen. 

I’m not just viewing it through the Strong lense. I do understand the points everyone is making. I do want to be dominant in our conference and back to something other than a toss up as to whether we can be a team we should be beating at home.

i just meant historically (taking away the fact that we are all sick of losing and very much do not wish to fire another HC unless necessary) how often is it that successful HCs fire or reassign the bulk of their staff because they are forced to? Historically how has that worked out?

coach O and Riley have been mentioned as outliers. O kept his buddy on staff and went and got an NFL coach from the Saints for his offense. Riley was stuck with Mike Stoops (quite a different ball of wax altogether) and rightfully fired him after losing to us in Dallas last year in the regular season. I thought it was pretty balsy what he did honestly. 

This is the opposite of what Herman has done basically a year after saying he was loyal to his staff. I know he has a ton of pressure on him to beat OU (and let’s face it. Was hired by the BMDs precisely because he beat OU at U of H without a real coaching search). 

After reading that Ian Boyd article about Herman’s offensive scheme and why it made him so desirable to Urban Meyer back in the day, I just feel like this may be a fail. I really want for UT to be successful. Season tickets since 1986 and all that and lifetime member blah blah blah. I just don’t see it. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC. Anwar needed sources to come to these conclusions?

Sports reporters say that kinda shit all the time.  His sources could be Herman wanting to get talking points out there. It could be shit he read on Twitter.   By claiming “sources”, he’s not directly saying anything negative about the program or any coaches, because he plays it as the opinion of other people.  

Side note: Imagine being so stupid that you watch Justin Fields and Jake Fromm in practice and scrimmages every day, and you go with Fromm as QB1.

Fromm helped lead them to their greatest success in years and had their biggest obstacle on the ropes. You bench that for some unproven guy?

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Dabo Swinney?

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Georgia truly did not want to be there. It’s obvious now. 

Football games, much like fights, are decided by match-ups. If your opponent’s strength plays into yours, you have a good chance to win. Also, 2018 Georgia was beyond overrated. They got skullfucked by a caveman offense LSU team and lost to their daddy’s backup QB. Finally, they play in the fucking SEC East.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't know anything about this kid's recruitment.  Says he's a 3-star from Utah.  But that mullet says 5-star from Florida.

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't know anything about this kid's recruitment.  Says he's a 3-star from Utah.  But that mullet says 5-star from Florida.

LOL.  

He’s one of the few defensive commits.   Given that he bailed without knowing who the replacements will be, I’m guessing he did not want to really be here.  

I think it was more(not all) that Georgia wasn't that good.  SEC East out front should have told ya...

SEC has been top heavy for years. Get past a couple of teams - usually in the West and it’s a so so conference below that. The only thing that makes it interesting are the intense and large crowds that make home field advantage real for the underdogs.