Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

Not surprisingly, Trump missed the entire point of "Mutiny on the Bounty."  I'm guessing he's never seen it.  I'm sure he read about it on Twitter.

President Trump must’ve missed the climactic scene in “Mutiny on the Bounty” in which the defeated captain gets pushed off in a rowboat by his mutinous crew.

Trump pointed to the famous flick as an object lesson for Gov. Cuomo and rebellious governors who are chafing under his claim of “absolute rule” to order states to reopen if and when the coronavirus crisis eases.

In the 1962 classic, the mercurial Capt. Bligh loses his fight to maintain control over his crew and the first lieutenant played by Marlon Brando mounts a successful rebellion to oust him.

Trump is seeking to portray Cuomo as the governors as impudent underlings in a fight with him. But the movie depicts the danger of a tyrannical leader overplaying his hand and seeing it boomerang on himself.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-cuomo-trump-begging-20200414-g7kzledlfnaxxdjo6rijkhahlm-story.html

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RPM said:

I want to see the press push him on this total control he claims. It won't take long until he makes yesterdays meltdown look tame. Show the world just how unstable he is. Downside, foreign leaders see it, too.

As if that even matters at this point. They are now support authoritarianism. To own the libs.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Not surprisingly, Trump missed the entire point of "Mutiny on the Bounty."  I'm guessing he's never seen it.  I'm sure he read about it on Twitter.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-cuomo-trump-begging-20200414-g7kzledlfnaxxdjo6rijkhahlm-story.html

That's not how the movie ends. That's not how it ends at all.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

so i know this graphic has been up for a couple of days, but i wanted to rewind right quick.  is this the council that he was asked about in a briefing a few days ago, and they asked him if it would be bipartisan, and he said something to the effect of, "well i think it is, i didn't really pay attention to who was a democrat or republican, i just picked the team i thought was qualified to get the job done", or am i thinking about something else?

i know once he says stupid or embarrassing shit, it's hard to keep track, especially if it's from way long ago like 24-48 hours, but i thought i remembered something like this.

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Trump’s thoughts on other literature and films:

“I love Citizen Kane.  It’s a nice story about a poor kid who grows up to be rich and happy.”

”Moby Dick is my favorite book about commercial fishing.”

”1984 was a great book and it really appealed to me because I always admired my big brother, too.”

”The Breakfast Club was a great film about what doctors tell me is the most important meal of the day.”

”That Icarus guy probably would’ve made it if he used Krazy Glue instead of wax.”

I picture Trump walking out of the movie "Mutiny on the Bounty" like Frank Drebin walking out of "Platoon" in the naked gun.  

Just totally missed the point of the movie, or at least Captain Bligh and to an extent, Brando's officer character who dies horribly and in futility at the end.  

Trump probably thought he was S/Sgt Barnes in Platoon, and that that was admirable.  

Let's be honest, what happened is somebody used the term "Mutiny" around the WH and Trump thought to himself that he should make a pop-culture parallel reference so somebody just googled books, movies, tv shows, songs, about a "Mutiny."  Most of those turned out to be pirate books for kids, so he got excited.  But Pence at least suggested a film (that while was a commercial flop like Trump's business record)...that has endured and sort of still has a place in cinematic lore (probably because of the cast and cinematography).  So Trump asks somebody for a synposis that'll fit in one tweet and you got this shitshow.  I can see Pence making the recommendation, "Sometimes when Mother falls asleep early, I sneak downstairs at the Observatory and turn on TMC.  Don't tell her please.  Especially since I drink whole milk while I'm watching it."  

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so i know this graphic has been up for a couple of days, but i wanted to rewind right quick.  is this the council that he was asked about in a briefing a few days ago, and they asked him if it would be bipartisan, and he said something to the effect of, "well i think it is, i didn't really pay attention to who was a democrat or republican, i just picked the team i thought was qualified to get the job done", or am i thinking about something else?

i know once he says stupid or embarrassing shit, it's hard to keep track, especially if it's from way long ago like 24-48 hours, but i thought i remembered something like this.

It is bi-partisan.  Kushner is a Democrat and Ivanka changed from a Democrat (when daddy ran for President) to an Independent.  You are fake news just twisting the facts to meet your lamestream media way of thinking (that is how defending this is done, right?).

20 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Trump’s thoughts on other literature and films:

“I love Citizen Kane.  It’s a nice story about a poor kid who grows up to be rich and happy.”

”Moby Dick is my favorite book about commercial fishing.”

”1984 was a great book and it really appealed to me because I always admired my big brother, too.”

”The Breakfast Club was a great film about what doctors tell me is the most important meal of the day.”

”That Icarus guy probably would’ve made it if he used Krazy Glue instead of wax.”

'Marathon Man'  "Good movie but I thought Dustin Hoffman chose the worst possible dentist."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The reporters need to take Paula Reid's example from last night and just open up on him at this point.  Talk right back over him when he doesn't answer the question, and looked pissed off instead of shocked, surprised or scared.  Hit him back (metaphorically).  One of my biggest peeves is the reaction the press has when Trump unleashes.  They often look helpless and surprised.  I get that the first time or two.  But you know what you are dealing with now.  Unload.  Thanks, Paula. 

• Like 2

So please tell me #trumpmoviereviews is a trend now?  

It's not so much that he gets the plots wrong, it's that he doesn't understand the difference between the antagonist and protagonist.  

It's okay to root for incompetence-Falstaff, it's okay to root for evil-Vader or Hans Gruber, it's even okay to empathize with them...but to identify with a shitty character with almost no redeeming value-Blight?  Really?  He was incompetent, corrupt, unethical, not respected, cruel, and a shitty driver.  

So i think instead of just misunderstanding plots, this is more specific---this is not understanding people and relationships.  Probably explains why he wants to bang his children.

23 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I am sure there are dozens that do the same thing every day on Twitter, but I clicked on that guys twitter account and he is going in dry today.

God damn.  You are not kidding.  That guy is unleashing the Kraken.  Fucking A.

What's your contingency plan?

Contingency plan?

Your backup plan. You gotta have some kind of backup plan, right?

No, we don't have a back up plan. This is it.

And this is the best that you c - that the-the government, the *U.S. government* can come up with? I mean, you-you're the US government for cryin' out loud, you put a man on the moon, you're geniuses! You-you're the guys that think this shit up! I'm sure you got a team of men sitting around somewhere right now just thinking shit up and somebody backing them up! You're telling me you don't have a backup plan, that these seven morons right here, that is the world's hope, that's what you're telling me?

Yeah.
  • Like 1

Another fun article from The Atlantic.

Being an Actual Authoritarian Is Too Much Work for Trump

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/lazy-authoritarian/609937/

The gist of it is that he wants to be a dictator, but dictators are accountable.  Also some fun history of the Roman dictator and origin of the term.

7 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Has anyone ever asked him the status of the Wal-Mart parking lot testing sites?

"We'll get back to you with a list"

Correction, he just said it's going to be up to the governors and mayors to figure out the Walmart testing.

Edited by Grade of D as in David

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I hate to break the bad news to you, but foreign leaders have seen it since day 1.  Europe has maneuvered around him, and leaders have openly laughed in his face.  Xi, Putin, and even Kim Jong Un have played him like a fiddle.

Just because our media tiptoes around his dumbassery, it doesn't mean the media in the rest of the world has been doing the same.

Foreign leaders aren't foreign media.