Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

I’ve learned something about myself over the past few months. Nothing brings up my righteous anger like profaning the sacred. Places of worship are sacred places to me  and the tear gas photo op introduced me to a new kind of political anger. Military cemeteries and fallen servicemen are sacred to me and this feels the same. 

Unlike some, I appreciated when he skipped the WWI memorial because he had no business there, but his articulated disgust towards actual selfless service short-circuits my brain. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Reinstate the fairness doctrine to get Fox News and right wing talk radio under control. Put pressure on facebook and twitter to police fake news and conspiracy theory. Eventually most of them will ease back off the ledge.

There will still be conspiracy forums on other sites, but 90% of Trumpkins don't get it from there, and have no interest in even finding those sites. They get it from Facebook and Fox. We just need to shut off the spigot.

i worry about stuff like this. I would not put it past any party to abuse their power - overreach to the point of suppressing critical and opposing thought. Yes, i too want more factual and truthful content in the world, but tread very lightly. Power corrupts.

The righteous very rarely are.

Edited by yoladu

6 minutes ago, Mole said:

I’ve learned something about myself over the past few months. Nothing brings up my righteous anger like profaning the sacred. Places of worship are sacred places to me  and the tear gas photo op introduced me to a new kind of political anger. Military cemeteries and fallen servicemen are sacred to me and this feels the same. 

Same here. I was pretty close to my grandfather. Like many in his generation, he risked his life to defend the western world from fascism. It made him a hero in my eyes. I toured the Churchill war rooms a few years back and literally teared up just thinking about how much that generation sacrificed to defend democracy and vanquish fascism (and how the children of that generation are squandering that sacrifice). 

Trump shits on all of that heroism and selflessness, and it infuriates me. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

"and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on"  

Serious question---what does that even mean? 

He reminds me of Mandelbaum family on Seinfeld, "Go ahead, pick out anything in this room and I'll swear on it over my head!"  

The whole "health scare" thing rings hollow to me and exactly what they did to Hillary in 2016.  Who cares?  If he's actually not well (physically), he'll fucking die.  If it's bullshit, it just looks petty and conspiracy theory-ish.  There are 900 other things to pick on that are actually horrifying and provable.

First of all, it had at least some impact when used against Hillary. It’s something that the morons can understand.

Second, we’ve tried a few of those “900 other things that are actually horrifying and provable,” and that didn’t work.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i worry about stuff like this. I would not put it past any party to abuse their power - overreach to the point of suppressing critical and opposing thought. Yes, i too want more factual and truthful content in the world, but tread very lightly. Power corrupts.

The fairness doctrine worked very well during its existence.  Pretty much all the excessive polarization that we see now was due to its revocation.

• Hook 'Em 9

It's strange, I have disliked and detested Donald Trump for a long time.  I thought he was a showboat without much substance, but I never really had the opportunity to analyze exactly why I loathed him, beyond that.

When he was elected, I decided to kind of back off my loathing and see what he actually did.  So it took me a while to acknowledge that my inarticulate loathing was spot on.  Part of that is that I retain an optimist streak and try to find some good in everyone. I am fundamentally uncomfortable with hating someone.

And even here three years later, I find myself flabbergasted at the depths of indecency and depravity demonstrated by this man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, yoladu said:

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The fairness doctrine worked very well during its existence.  Pretty much all the excessive polarization that we see now was due to its revocation.

This.  The fairness doctrine, as I understand it, is literally the opposite of suppressing critical and opposing thought.  It prevents echo chambers and flat out propaganda and lies, or at least curtails them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's strange, I have disliked and detested Donald Trump for a long time.  I thought he was a showboat without much substance, but I never really had the opportunity to analyze exactly why I loathed him, beyond that.

When he was elected, I decided to kind of back off my loathing and see what he actually did.  So it took me a while to acknowledge that my inarticulate loathing was spot on.  Part of that is that I retain an optimist streak and try to find some good in everyone. I am fundamentally uncomfortable with hating someone.

And even here three years later, I find myself flabbergasted at the depths of indecency and depravity demonstrated by this man.

He always struck me as a sheltered rich kid who grew into a sheltered rich adult.  The type that would fuck with the lives of others less fortunate than themselves just for their own amusement.  Like the Duke brothers in Trading Places.  But I do think Junior is worse.  I could see him paying homeless people to fight and shit like that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

He reminds me of Mandelbaum family on Seinfeld, "Go ahead, pick out anything in this room and I'll swear on it over my head!"  

I assumed he meant he would swear on a thing i.e. bible,  or to any entity i.e. God. But who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I assumed he meant he would swear on a thing i.e. bible,  or to any entity i.e. God. But who knows. 

It means he can’t remember what book those uptight jerkoffs always make you swear things on or the name of the main character in that book.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

IF Biden wins, we need to have a thread on what to do with these people.  I don't think they are going away.  But let's not count our chickens before they hatch.  Step 1 is all that matters right now.

Most of those who are the strongest Trump supporters are just as much of a coward as Trump is.

Most will slink back into their hovels. His most diehard supporters don’t actually like Republicans. They don’t actually really like America. They like an idea of America that never existed. They are a basket of deplorables who will die off overtime leaving no positive legacy. Their largest accomplishment in life will be electing the worst American president ever. Their generation will be written off as squandering the greatest opportunity / system of governance ever known to man.

The elite / rich supporters will go back to their deficit / small government fetishes whilst continuing their grift on the poor and uneducated.

They will coalesce around the next ‘R’ politician no matter what. 

Trump and the Trump era will be forgotten, explained away, molded / misconstrued, and justified. 

Much like ‘states rights’ and the civil war, Trumpism will tried to be actively whitewashed so that the American public won’t remember how bad it was, and we’ll likely see a moderate republican who uses the same old conservative buzzwords in the next election.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

He always struck me as a sheltered rich kid who grew into a sheltered rich adult.  The type that would fuck with the lives of others less fortunate than themselves just for their own amusement.  Like the Duke brothers in Trading Places.  But I do think Junior is worse.  I could see him paying homeless people to fight and shit like that.

As an arguably sheltered rich kid who grew up among other sheltered and definitely rich kids, that is an inadequate explanation for Donald J. Trump.  Sheltered rich kids do stupid and contemptible shit, some with greater frequency than others, but typically aren't horrible human beings and they tend to be less grandiose.

There's some extra pathology in there, that I guess is attributable to his father, who was a contemptible human in his own right, apparently, but in a different way than his spawn.  He apparently was at least mostly self-made.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Most of those who are the strongest Trump supporters are just as much of a coward as Trump is.

Most will slink back into their hovels. His most diehard supporters don’t actually like Republicans. They don’t actually really like America. They like an idea of America that never existed. They are a basket of deplorables who will die off overtime leaving no positive legacy. Their largest accomplishment in life will be electing the worst American president ever. Their generation will be written off as squandering the greatest opportunity / system of governance ever known to man.

The elite / rich supporters will go back to their deficit / small government fetishes whilst continuing their grift on the poor and uneducated.

They will coalesce around the next ‘R’ politician no matter what. 

Trump and the Trump era will be forgotten, explained away, molded / misconstrued, and justified. 

Much like ‘states rights’ and the civil war, Trumpism will tried to be actively whitewashed so that the American public won’t remember how bad it was, and we’ll likely see a moderate republican who uses the same old conservative buzzwords in the next election.

I hope you are right on the first part.  To the second, it is up to us to not let them get away with that.  They can't be allowed to just say, "aw, shucks.  we didn't mean it.  back to regular business."  They must be punished.  Severely.

• Like 2

The president of the United States calls our dead fallen soldiers suckers and losers, is going to kill 100s of thousands of Americans and will even go out of his way to fuck with your golf ball so he can win.

He is the worst person in all of history and it’s not even close. He has zero redeeming qualities. None. 

And yet 40 percent of the country is somehow ok with that. Maybe Brisket is right. 

Edited by JimmyJames

1 hour ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

The Pentagon moved to strip funding for Stripes after Defense Secretary Mark Esper ordered a defense-wide review of spending practices in an effort to reallocate funds to prepare the military to fight a major near-peer rival, such as China or Russia. Esper defended the funding cut for the newspaper in February, telling reporters that the money would go to “higher-priority issues.”

Though Stars and Stripes is part of the Pentagon’s Defense Media Activity, the news organization retains its editorial independence and is congressionally mandated to be governed by First Amendment principles.

The house included the $15M in funding, the Senate did not include it in their funding bill.

Does this mean Ann-Margaret is not coming?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Same here. I was pretty close to my grandfather. Like many in his generation, he risked his life to defend the western world from fascism. It made him a hero in my eyes. I toured the Churchill war rooms a few years back and literally teared up just thinking about how much that generation sacrificed to defend democracy and vanquish fascism (and how the children of that generation are squandering that sacrifice). 

Trump shits on all of that heroism and selflessness, and it infuriates me. 

Yup.  My Dad not only put his PhD studies on hold to enlist as an officer in the Navy, he gave up a spot on the Olympic team as a weightlifter.  (I suspect the competition might have been somewhat diluted due to the war effort, but still, it was a helluva achievement.)  He ended up getting booted 4F after an asthma attack while training at Annapolis, which crushed him.  So, he headed back to school, right?  Nope.  He felt he still had a duty to honor, so he hired on as an aero engineer designing fighter aircraft wings for Curtiss Wright.

It truly was the "greatest generation", and Trump shits all over it, daily.  Decorum prevents me from saying what I would like to do should I ever meet that awful man.

• Hook 'Em 5

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As an arguably sheltered rich kid who grew up among other sheltered and definitely rich kids, that is an inadequate explanation for Donald J. Trump.  Sheltered rich kids do stupid and contemptible shit, some with greater frequency than others, but typically aren't horrible human beings and they tend to be less grandiose.

There's some extra pathology in there, that I guess is attributable to his father, who was a contemptible human in his own right, apparently, but in a different way than his spawn.  He apparently was at least mostly self-made.

For sure, he is also a sociopath and incapable of empathy.  I don't imagine he had any feelings at all when his brother passed.  I think he would be completely blank even if one of his kids passed.  That coupled with his upbringing made him the person he is today.  Most sheltered rich kids, like anyone else, feel guilt or feel bad when they do bad things.

Edited by FondrenRoad

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

he can swear on....

a6o9EbR.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

IF Biden wins, we need to have a thread on what to do with these people.  I don't think they are going away.  But let's not count our chickens before they hatch.  Step 1 is all that matters right now.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Reinstate the fairness doctrine to get Fox News and right wing talk radio under control. Put pressure on facebook and twitter to police fake news and conspiracy theory. Eventually most of them will ease back off the ledge.

There will still be conspiracy forums on other sites, but 90% of Trumpkins don't get it from there, and have no interest in even finding those sites. They get it from Facebook and Fox. We just need to shut off the spigot.

This is a good start.

Get a plan to control Covid 19

Simultaneously tax the uber wealthy to try to recoup some of the plunder they collected from the lower classes.   

Close loopholes that provide tax shelters off shore, etc.  

Fund the IRS to actually go after these fucks, instead of the little guys who can't afford tax lawyers

Pump funding into jobs in the infrastructure and public housing.   Pump funding into education all the way up and down the line. 

Renewable energy would be part of that infrastructure, as would sustainable farming and housing.

Move more jobs towards startups and localized markets.  Bring more work back to the rural communities.   More mom and pops and less corporations.  That means a broadband effort like REA was a century ago.  

Term limits, campaign finance reform, kill Citizen's United and dark money, start discussing ranked voting.  

All of this gives people a fighting chance to achieve more in their real world, something tangible they can take pride in, instead of wallowing around in the make believe world Trump has lured them.   It would reinvigorate the American Dream that was corrupted by Wall St and their overlords to turn us into dumb downed consumers only.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Good article on the Crook in Cheif's legal woes.  But these quotes really stood out for me as the reason why he's just so dangerous in his current position:

One thing I’ve learned about Trump and about the country is that Trump has always exploited honor systems. He’s always looked for places where people obey the law not because they have to but because it’s seen as the right thing to do. They don’t want to go against social convention, and so they follow the rules—but when you break the law, it’s not like a cop steps out from behind a pillar and arrests you. He takes advantage of that. When he finds a place where there’s an honor system, he exploits it. He does what the honor system doesn’t expect. And he often gets a huge advantage out of that. He did that in his business often. He did it at his charity—he didn’t follow charity rules, and he took advantage of the fact that the charity system takes a long time to catch up with you if you do that.

And what we’ve found is that the presidency is an honor system. On purpose, we did not write a lot of laws that govern the presidency because that’s supposed to be held by a person of honor who will follow honor systems about not mixing government and private business, not mixing government and politics. And Trump has again taken advantage of that. There’s so many cases in which he said, I know it says I can’t do this or other people haven’t done this, but I’m going to do it. Try and stop me. I’ll see you in two years. What we’ve seen in all these court cases is that that worked. And also that Trump’s opponents, the Democrats in Congress and people in law enforcement, didn’t understand whom they were dealing with. Often they sort of seemed to expect that Trump would follow the honor systems, even when his whole life had shown that he would not.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/trump-organization-legal-troubles-investigations.html

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This is a good start.

Get a plan to control Covid 19

Simultaneously tax the uber wealthy to try to recoup some of the plunder they collected from the lower classes.   

Close loopholes that provide tax shelters off shore, etc.  

Fund the IRS to actually go after these fucks, instead of the little guys who can't afford tax lawyers

Pump funding into jobs in the infrastructure and public housing.   Pump funding into education all the way up and down the line. 

Renewable energy would be part of that infrastructure, as would sustainable farming and housing.

Move more jobs towards startups and localized markets.  Bring more work back to the rural communities.   More mom and pops and less corporations.  That means a broadband effort like REA was a century ago.  

Term limits, campaign finance reform, kill Citizen's United and dark money, start discussing ranked voting.  

All of this gives people a fighting chance to achieve more in their real world, something tangible they can take pride in, instead of wallowing around in the make believe world Trump has lured them.   It would reinvigorate the American Dream that was corrupted by Wall St and their overlords to turn us into dumb downed consumers only.  

Absolutely, from a policy standpoint, but I'm talking about what to do with the 30-40% of the country that is absolutely broken.  They are not going to accept this defeat and will become even more entrenched, buoyed by the continued right wing insanity outlets of Fox News, Breitbart, Facebook, etc.  It's going to be a real issue.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Absolutely, from a policy standpoint, but I'm talking about what to do with the 30-40% of the country that is absolutely broken.  They are not going to accept this defeat and will become even more entrenched, buoyed by the continued right wing insanity outlets of Fox News, Breitbart, Facebook, etc.  It's going to be a real issue.

More meth, Covid and hamberders? 

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agreed. If we can't start getting it under control in the next few years, it's probably time to start making plans to become a Canadian citizen.  Hell, in another 10 or 15 years, most of Canada will be nice and temperate.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My FIL, who has been nothing but generous to me and is a man that I respect, is one of these broken (with a lowercase b) people.

Not because he is some overt racist or has any real animus towards a group of people, but because he has bought into the right’s dogma 110%.

He’s wealthy from building multiple businesses, but also grew up wealthy and was so successful due to the example his father set. I also imagine he did get help along the way from his father and / or his father’s connections. That being said, he did build two incredibly successful businesses and his two brothers are also incredibly successful.

I saw this to give some perspective. At one time, a man like him might be moderate as he is from a historically marginalized demographic. Someone with his level of success would be expected to vote for lower taxes, etc. But socially, he was pretty liberal in his younger years and isn’t very religious.

But now, I can’t get through 2 sentences when discussing politics before I realize that it’s fruitless.

He is completely convinced that the government is just out to steal your money. Every politician or bureaucrat is a crook. Democrats want to bleed the rich to give it to the poor.

And even though he gives $ to charities, I’ve never actually heard him speak with empathy when it comes to poor people. He absolutely believes being poor is a moral failing. He can’t understand systemic poverty and blames it on the groups that are poor. Why don’t they get educated? Why do they keep killing each other. Why don’t NBA players protest when kids die in Chicago instead of these black lives matter protests? I’m sure there are bad cops, but these guys getting killed are brining it on themselves.

I’m not sure he even watches Fox News. However, Fox and the Republican talking points are spewed just as the chryon Would have them.

It’s sad really. 

What it must be like to have such disdain for most of America. But I guess he never really has to face it as he’s completely in a bubble of rich, boomers that shit on the the 99%.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Good article on the Crook in Cheif's legal woes.  But these quotes really stood out for me as the reason why he's just so dangerous in his current position:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/trump-organization-legal-troubles-investigations.html

..and in addition to having no regard for honor systems he has no regard for actual laws and prohibitions.

16 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Trumpgruber: I will suck your dick, I will suck your fucking dick, just vote for me. I'll suck your dick, you can fuck me, you can get fucked by me. You can watch me swear on something? Just point at something in the room and I'll swear on it for you! Just tell me what you want me to swear on!

Lt. Dixon Piper: Jesus Christ, Trumpgruber!

Trumpgruber : Just tell me what you want me to swear on!

Hey! My avatar wouldn’t sink that low!!

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

What a fucking coward. He knows he’s on the verge of losing the military. Bunker bitch is grasping at straws. The pussy can’t even own his own bitchassedness 

Edited by heso
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

My FIL, who has been nothing but generous to me and is a man that I respect, is one of these broken (with a lowercase b) people.

Not because he is some overt racist or has any real animus towards a group of people, but because he has bought into the right’s dogma 110%.

He’s wealthy from building multiple businesses, but also grew up wealthy and was so successful due to the example his father set. I also imagine he did get help along the way from his father and / or his father’s connections. That being said, he did build two incredibly successful businesses and his two brothers are also incredibly successful.

I saw this to give some perspective. At one time, a man like him might be moderate as he is from a historically marginalized demographic. Someone with his level of success would be expected to vote for lower taxes, etc. But socially, he was pretty liberal in his younger years and isn’t very religious.

But now, I can’t get through 2 sentences when discussing politics before I realize that it’s fruitless.

He is completely convinced that the government is just out to steal your money. Every politician or bureaucrat is a crook. Democrats want to bleed the rich to give it to the poor.

And even though he gives $ to charities, I’ve never actually heard him speak with empathy when it comes to poor people. He absolutely believes being poor is a moral failing. He can’t understand systemic poverty and blames it on the groups that are poor. Why don’t they get educated? Why do they keep killing each other. Why don’t NBA players protest when kids die in Chicago instead of these black lives matter protests? I’m sure there are bad cops, but these guys getting killed are brining it on themselves.

I’m not sure he even watches Fox News. However, Fox and the Republican talking points are spewed just as the chryon Would have them.

It’s sad really. 

What it must be like to have such disdain for most of America. But I guess he never really has to face it as he’s completely in a bubble of rich, boomers that shit on the the 99%.

Sad?  Just testimonial that having wealth or being poor is no prevention for being self centered.  Selfishness is an acquired trait just like racism.

4 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

First of all, it had at least some impact when used against Hillary. It’s something that the morons can understand.

Second, we’ve tried a few of those “900 other things that are actually horrifying and provable,” and that didn’t work.

Daily political suicide from this guy. Daily. He's a blatant liar on a scale no one has ever seen before in the White House. He tore apart families and caged children. He's a serial sex offender. He proclaims opponents to be "enemies of the state" who "should be in jail." He's not even remotely moved that Kashoggi was horrribly murdered by the Saudis, that we just abandoned Kurdish comrades in Syria, or that the children he's caged are likely scarred for life. He denies that nearly 200,000 Americans have died of Covid while claiming he is doing a great job. He doesn't give a shit.

That's not even getting into sending his son-in-law bagman around the world, bullying Ukraine, hiring his fucking children to be senior advisers, snuggling with autocrats while making a fool of himself and all of us with out allies. Golf (which he cheats at)

He's also clearly stupid about anything in the world not directly related to him avoiding blame and stiffing people he owes.

We'll get him on the whole feeble thing, I'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, heso said:

What a fucking coward. He knows he’s on the verge of losing the military. Bunker bitch is grasping at straws. The pussy can’t even own his own bitchassedness 

Think he just realized cutting S&S meant no more Beetle Bailey comics. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Sad?  Just testimonial that having wealth or being poor is no prevention for being self centered.  Selfishness is an acquired trait just like racism.

Money and power literally change the morphology and tissue composition of your brain over time. 

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's pretty much the crux of my feeling about coverage of Trump by the news. They kept reporting based on the assumptions in the article. Trump would say something outrageous about a policy. CNN gets their usual round table of experts to translate the outrageous into something palatable which they then discuss endlessly. And uselessly.

The TV press struggles with anything that's really new. In the above example, Trump clearly proved early on that he didn't care about policy. He attacked the press as enemies. Still the press wouldn't cover the bigger picture of what was unfolding.

They wouldn't let themselves even call a lie a lie. Misrepresentation of the facts was the preferred phrase at CNN. I'm sure they found that language very daring when dealing with, oh my!, a sitting president. 

If a man takes a rifle and starts shooting people from the top of a building, the lead is: Today in Bigtown, a gunman killed two people and wounded four others shooting from the top of the MegaCorp building.

As soon as Trump started lying (day one, the biggest inauguration crowd ever!) regularly, that's the lead. Today President Trump lied about the military having no bullets when he took office. Further, he lied about providing new planes for the Air Force as no new aircraft have been designed or purchased outside of what was already planned.

Then, you cover the undermining of the republic. Wolf and the gang were very slow in seeing this is a new animal. I'm still not sure they will find the right way to cover it. You can see how relieved and happy they are to cover the predictability of the presidential race. Thank God! We've seen it all before and said it all before. Set the autopilot and e'erbody put on your idle speculation shoes.

It's awful to watch such imcompetence aiding such malevolence. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agreed.  I guess where I was coming from was filling that void, left when you shut off the Fox tap, with education and programs that would put things on a more positive footing.