Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

My FIL this morning in the group chat - "3x as many people died in TN tornado last night as all Coronavirus victims in US... just saying"

My response: "Let me know when the rate of tornadoes starts to increase exponentially."

He did not like that.  Dude has a PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, but Fox News is making him retarded in his old work-from-home age.

You wanna really piss him off let it slip that you went anal on his lil girl.  Just saying...the old man should watch his step.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

My FIL this morning in the group chat - "3x as many people died in TN tornado last night as all Coronavirus victims in US... just saying"

My response: "Let me know when the rate of tornadoes starts to increase exponentially."

He did not like that.  Dude has a PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, but Fox News is making him retarded in his old work-from-home age.

I keep hearing this from Trumpkins, too.  It's like they think this is over.

• Like 2

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I’m more worried about what it will be in the older populations,    I’ve got two parents and a step parent in their 60s and 70s.  An in-law in their late 80s, great-aunts in their 80s and 90s, and some older relatives who smoke.    This thing could put an end date on quite a few parts of my family tree.  

Is this a bad time to explain the benefits of removing dead branches from a tree? Just kidding man, kind of. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m more worried about what it will be in the older populations,    I’ve got two parents and a step parent in their 60s and 70s.  An in-law in their late 80s, great-aunts in their 80s and 90s, and some older relatives who smoke.    This thing could put an end date on quite a few parts of my family tree.  

Florida real estate bout to get real cheap.  RIP Villages.

43 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I don't disagree that the kill rate may be less than 2%. But that assumes good medical care. If 5% require ICU care, and there are 95,000  ICU beds, of which ~85,000 are currently occupied, you will see a different rate. Full disclosure, I have no fucking idea what is going to happen.

We will be lucky if so few are hospitalized, and if so few require ICU.    Far too many people are forgetting that we don’t have near the beds many think we do, that we run our hospitals at near capacity, that these cases who are hospitalized usually need 2-3 weeks (many hospital beds would normally see 4-5 patients in that time), and that we aren’t used to treating so many hospitalized people At the same time in a quarantined environment where healthcare workers require full PPE. 

Would be interesting to see how the hospitals are handling those patients from the assisted living facility up there in Washington state.   My guess is they are having to spread them around like the Italians.  

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

"Second thing they do is ventilate dozens in the average hospital; they use extracorporeal membrane oxygenation [removing blood from a person’s body and oxygenating their red blood cells] when ventilation doesn’t work. This is sophisticated health care.

Is this a euphemism for putting a bullet in somebody? 

14 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Sounds exactly like my father. Fox news has made him completely bat fuck stupid.

• Like 3

I wonder how far China is into a retrospective deep dive into post-mortem/survivor blood samples from earlier pneumonia cases in the Fall/Summer to see if this thing was already causing trouble.  The urgency of the last 8 weeks has been all about treatment and containment of actively ill recognized cases.

17 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Now imagine that someone was infected and coughed and sneezed into that tornado. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'll just reinforce this take again.

It Ebola didn't scare the fuck out of you, you don't know shit about Ebola.

Corona is intimidating and dangerous, to be sure.

Ebola is some zombie level shit.

Ebola doesn’t transmit very well, and kills its host too quickly. It’s ability to affect a large swath of humanity is limited. 

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So several of my patients had their appointment with the infectious disease doctor cancelled today.  I’m definitely more anxious than I was this AM.  Politics are in full play here.  Pathetic.  

Test more people you fucking idiots.  

What do you mean?  Did the patients cancel the appointments?  Why would they do that?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, the fucking Stand was inspired in part by King's research into the Spanish Flu. He ticked the concept up one magnitude and wrote an entertaining story with a paranormal/perhaps religious component, as he does. 

Anyone with a college education or even a vague interest in doomsday concepts from comic books, movies, shows, books, whatever has heard of and read about the Spanish Flu. The premise that it's a matter of "if" is fucking laughable. Sure as shit it could happen again or worse. So could aliens shooting lasers from spaceships. Or a nuclear holocaust. So yeah, outside of going with the Keynesian outlook of "in the end, we're all dead anyway," something somewhere sometime could show up and be Spanish Flu or worse while someone you or I are related to is alive and kicking. 

But it probably won't happen. And this ain't it. AI synthesized a fucking vaccine for this strand in a week's time. I'm not even sure AI existed in works of fiction in 1918. We were barely coming to grips with how microbes worked. Drugs cocktails didn't exist. The state of cleanliness in even wealthy environments was less hospitable for good health than most even poorly civilized environments today. People worked and lived in far less healthy environments and atmospheres most of the world over. Everyone fucking smoked and ate poorly. 

In short, while you've got a hint of thinking around how chaos works, you're doing it wrong. The next near extinction event won't look like the last one. This isn't Spanish Flu 2.0. It will probably either be man-made or come from space and in the grand scheme, it might not happen in the next 1million years, which is a fucking speck on the timeline of this spinning rock.

Okay, so the scariest environment imaginable. That's all you gotta say, scariest environment imaginable.

Really?!?  The Stand is about an engineered bioweapon that killed 99% of the Earth's humans.

Whether the Spanish Flu inspired him to write the book is not relevant to my statement.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

The city has been trying to officially track travelers from overseas in Austin for nearly four weeks now.  Not surprised.    

i dunno how effective that'll be.  a lot of people who travel from austin overseas, especially to asia, drive to houston or dallas and go from there.  

12 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'll just reinforce this take again.

It Ebola didn't scare the fuck out of you, you don't know shit about Ebola.

Corona is intimidating and dangerous, to be sure.

Ebola is some zombie level shit.

They’ve never vomited blood, shit blood, and bled out through their eyes before...basically, they’ve never really lived.  

• Like 1

For those of you who think this will all blow over in a few months and everything will be back to normal, are you of the opinion that pandemics in general are not a significant threat to the global population, or simply that COVID-19 specifically does not have the potential for catastrophic mortality?

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i dunno how effective that'll be.  a lot of people who travel from austin overseas, especially to asia, drive to houston or dallas and go from there.  

Yeah, it’s just city workers trying to figure out who flew in from Asia, and then asking those folks for their temperature on a daily basis. They maybe trying to get companies to contact their workers who traveled overseas, and I’m betting UT has been in contact with their international students.   

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, it’s just city workers trying to figure out who flew in from Asia, and then asking those folks for their temperature on a daily basis. They maybe trying to get companies to contact their workers who traveled overseas, and I’m betting UT has been in contact with their international students.   

The student angle is interesting for sure. I spoke with my son's friend last night who is supposed to go to Rome this summer for a critical course he needs to graduate. Already spent the $$ and is wondering if he should go. Just told him to keep watching, stay aware and wash his damn hands. 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

that's a good point about business travellers, they make up huge pct of intl travel.  

Just wait until the Ebola countries catch some coronavirus; then again they have a warmer climate and that is supposed to stall the COVID-19 spread.

I actually read on Facebook yesterday that sugar, not temperature, is to blame for the seasonal flu. Starts around Halloween and ends around Easter. Can't argue with that logic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

What do you mean?  Did the patients cancel the appointments?  Why would they do that?

Bc the ID doctors are swamped w people with COVID-19 type symptoms but can’t test.  So everyone is is wtf mode.  These are very good hospitals.  

And now a lot of patients on broad spectrum abx will have extended periods of those needlessly.  That’s a whole new set of issues.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Bc the ID doctors are swamped w people with COVID-19 type symptoms but can’t test.  So everyone is is wtf mode.  These are very good hospitals.  

And now a lot of patients on broad spectrum abx will have extended periods of those needlessly.  That’s a whole new set of issues.  

I thought you were saying we were turning patients away to avoid positive tests from accumulating. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

this in and of itself is maddening because so many facilities and practices are working to ensure that people are NOT on them for extended periods of time and that proper antibiotics are prescribed for the correct length of time 

Edited by NoName

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The mortality rate of confirmed cases was extremely low in every age group until you hit the 60's plus age group. The 80s+ age group was 15+ percent. 

That was as of a few days ago. 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I mean, it was really fucking bad.

40% of people who got it died. Of the 17,000ish people who survived MANY  have post-Ebola syndrome and deal with symptoms for the rest of their lives.

The CFR for Hospitalized Ebola patients was 57-59%. Overall it was about 71%,

By comparison, COVID-19 is around 2% (2.3% is what I am seeing reported now, it was 2.4% for a while)

If you do not understand how scary Ebola is once it gets going you need to spend like 2 minutes reading up on it. 

COVID-19 is bad in a different way - not in an Ebola "everyone is going to die" way but in a "everything has the potential to be fucked in every way - plus a ton of people will die" way. 

I still can't believe how lucky we got during the ebola scare in Dallas. Only 2 people got it from our patient zero and one of them even got on a flight out of the state!

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

I still can't believe how lucky we got during the ebola scare in Dallas. Only 2 people got it from our patient zero and one of them even got on a flight out of the state!

Don't you have to shit on someone to get ebola? Don't want to mess up this thread but that seems a little easier to control. 

19 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

For those of you who think this will all blow over in a few months and everything will be back to normal, are you of the opinion that pandemics in general are not a significant threat to the global population, or simply that COVID-19 specifically does not have the potential for catastrophic mortality?

That there won’t be enough cases to overwhelm the health care infrastructure and it’s not deadly enough. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

I mean didn't it have a much lower reproductive rate and was only transmittable via body fluids?  Not being airborn is a huge difference alone.

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We ded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Don't you have to shit on someone to get ebola? Don't want to mess up this thread but that seems a little easier to control. 

I'll bet the Germans are scared of Ebola.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

When you do look at dead versus recovered-  6.6% are dead.  Why does everyone look at infected versus dead and not dead versus recovered?

“Recovered” has a loose definition. Hard to really tell. There’s been reports of people recovering from all their symptoms but still testing positive for the virus. Those people can’t be classified as “recovered” even though they’re no longer sick. No one knows yet how long it actually takes the virus to clear out. 

Also I’d imagine most mild cases are sent home to recover until they get better. It’s not like they ever come back to the hospital to get retested and officially be classified as “recovered”. They do get classified as “infected” though.

Edited by Helobious

29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So several of my patients had their appointment with the infectious disease doctor cancelled today.  I’m definitely more anxious than I was this AM.  Politics are in full play here.  Pathetic.

Test more people you fucking idiots.  

Just like Sharp with the "get me some talkie birds up in here" i can totally see orange man ordering the CDC to pull the test statistics.

If we had full and free testing a sense of normalcy would return close to overnight.

THIS WAS NOT A POLITICAL POST.

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Can't test because they don't have the capability/kits/whatever or not being allowed to test/told not to test because of some political influence?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away