Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Unbridled idiocy.

And happening everywhere in the country.

5e6d657a8da8e.image.jpg?resize=1200,668

We as a nation are going to get fucking rekt by CV19. It's going to last longer and hurt more than it has to. And it's because lots of dumb fucking people tell everyone they know it's all bullshit and we're safe and it's all over blown. 

Shit, my wife's 80yr old grandmother told us in full confidence that all you needed to beat it is to gargle warm salt water and you're good to go. This is a smart woman who ran her own business well enough to retire on it and live in River oaks. But her book group and lunch friends all told her the same, so she believes it. 

People are going to keep going out until the hospitals fill up 

2 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

There is some data from Wuhan to show how this works.  In China, they asked all of the people who tested positive to guess what day they started showing symptoms, and then backed that up to show when they probably were exposed.

Shortly after the date of the lockdown, they believe new infections dropped significantly.  But it took around 12 days for that drop to show up in the form of a reduction of new daily cases.  Once you start social distancing or lockdowns, you have to go through about two weeks and trust that it is working before you see a benefit in the data.

Have to assume we are always 2 weeks behind 

54 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

They fast tracked us for tests for some reason because she is under 17. We don’t have to wait...

“Mr. Barnes, the good news is the Corona test came back negative. The bad news is we ran a pregnancy test...”

T&P

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Sooooooo..... i shouldn't be upset at greenspoint?

No.  He's catching some flak for expressing his concern over what he sees (and I agree) as an impending disaster like no one alive has experienced.

Would you be mad if someone "paniced" and started yelling to everyone to run because there's a gunman about to start firing on the crowd?

Is that person guilty of overreacting, or being a fear monger?

Or is their "panic" a reasonable reaction to what they see?

Those thinking it's unreasonable still believe it's not going to be that bad.  Hopefully they are correct.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, Italy has moved to just testing the severe hospital cases now, asking everyone else to just stay home. Between that and the lag from symptoms taking up to two weeks to manifest, their overall number of infections is certainly much higher.

That's what's already happening in my PCP group/community who I called last week w symptoms.  They're acknowledging it's been at community acquired levels here for at least a week or two (at least).  Family medicine offices are asking people to come in for testing only if you need to be evaluated for possible hospitalization.  Otherwise stay home assuming you have it and to not spread it (and if you don't have you prevent getting it).  They also are trying to start to conserve supplies, like not having to gown and glove up repeatedly.  

Edited by triplehorn

39 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I'm hoping for the same. I forget do you do residential or commercial?  It would help if they closed the office to file mechanic's liens.  That would give at least some owners some relief/understanding.  May need to look at your GC and or blanket sub agreements and update for something like this.  All the best man. 

I’m not sure what filing mechanic’s liens would do. Right now out receivable are fine and being paid in a timely manner. Mechanics liens can’t be filed until actual non-payment occurs.  

The problem is employee  hygiene and what a potential shut down would mean for employees getting paid while not working.  

As of Friday, all subcontractors were paid in full; therefore, their cash flow issues are exclusively theirs and not ours.    

Thanks for the thoughts.  

ps:   I will still beat @ROFL BOX price by $1.00. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

You know it’s not 7% and you know the number will decrease not increase. You’re so full of shit. Just stop. You’re intentionally lying. 

With our (lack of) testing, it could easily get to 7% here. That of course wouldn’t be the real number, just like there, but deaths over positive tests?  Sure. 

Headed to the BSW clinic up by domain. Apparently they test there and she is eligible.

Prepare yourselves.  National lockdown coming soon.

Dr. Antony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, urged Americans to shut down more aggressively as the coronavirus spreads.

On MSNBC’s “Meet the Press” Mr. Fauci endorsed a 14-day “national shutdown” to help slow down the virus. He explained that he has brought it up with the administration, which is generally open to his ideas.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/15/anthony-fauci-urges-coronavirus-national-shutdown/

I think the sooner this happens...the sooner we can look in the rear view mirror.

Italy mandated its total lockdown on March 9th.  If we started a national lockdown today, comparatively it would be a massive advantage in outcome visible even 20 days from now.  
Every single day we wait has major effects on outcomes:
1*4kOJv8hmd5VFPcBL1mywsw.png

So don't wait for official decrees.  Make informed personal choices starting today.

For those of us with the young kids, what are you planning to do while they're home? My wife and I have been making a list, so wanted to share here in case others have ideas that we should add on our list. We are taking this really seriously (thank goodness she came around, she was pissed at my suggesting she stop taking the kids to play dates until I made her read articles about Italy and how it spreads). Our kids are 1.5 and 4. Here are our ideas:

- My wife got a bunch of craft stuff, so she'll do some kind of craft every day with them
- I just bought the 4 year old a couple of soccer goals for the yard and a football, once it stops raining it's time for him to learn the games
- Our almost 2 year old is way behind on speech development, so we're going to work with him on new words every day
- He also has recently started taking interest in us going to the bathroom, could we come out of quarantine with two potty trained?
- I bought the 4 year old an Xbox with Kinect and introduced him to his first video games this weekend. Trying not to show him any that aren't Kinect/active play for now. I know the time will come...
- The 4 year old is really close to being able to read. We don't want to buy any books and have them delivered right now, so we'll find online beginning reading stuff for him to read on the tablet
- Both kids like their bikes/trikes, so we'll do daily walks in the evening with them and the dog once this rain eventually clears
- We just got a bunch of games at Christmas like connect 4 and operation, so I expect those will get some good use.

As for the wife and me, we're looking at projects around the house we've been putting off that we might as well do when we're stuck here. Cleaning out closets, fixing things that need a little love, and boring stuff like that. We also have been trying to learn some new stuff, foreign languages, instruments, etc. No better time than now. We're looking at what we can do for date nights to keep from getting beat down. Grilling steaks and opening an expensive wine instead of going out. We both like board games as well and have some we haven't brought out in a while. Plenty of series we've meant to binge and never have. We've also already been on a home workout routine, and it will be hard to argue we don't have time to keep up with that now.

This all might sound a bit ambitious, and maybe it is. I'd rather have plans for what we want to do with the time. Otherwise I think we'll go crazy, or worse, not stick to the self quarantine. We're going in with the mindset that this is a few months not a few weeks. I don't think this will be done quickly, so we can take our time on this stuff.

Would love to hear other ideas any of you have, particularly for the kids. This won't be an easy time, but I'm focused on coming out the other side feeling like we made the best use of the time we could rather than laid around lazy and wasted a few months.

GB, good luck to y’all.

Somnio...I suspect you’re right. I know the governor’s office here is working on a list of statutes to suspend per the state of emergency, probably to be announced Monday. Would. It be surprised to see a lockdown order soon after.

Tailgate and Triple: absolutely - we should all already be in essentially voluntary lockdown. The laws of mathematics say that each infected (maybe unknowingly) person who stays home could save dozens from getting it.

Lumbergh, we should start a separate thread on “recommended activities during lockdown.” Folks can post their experiences and ideas.

Ironically, in this separation, we’re all in this together. It’s a globally shared experience - so let’s be there for each other.
  • Like 2

Ok so is fortnite ok for preteens then?  I’ve said no to online community gaming so far, but they turn 11 this week. Fortnite might be a decent distraction. They are already getting a Switch and Mario odyssey as new content. 
i do not have any gaming headsets if that impacts the playability of fortnite. 

3 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

There's a girl on my FB who pretty regularly posts pictures of herself on her couch with a glass of wine on weekend nights saying things like "lazy kind of Saturday."

Last night she posted pictures out with a group of friends in Dallas and added the hashtag #socialdistancing.

I swear some people are intentionally going out right now just because they've been told they shouldn't.

I 100% believe some are deliberately doing shit they shouldn’t be doing, because they are being told otherwise.   They have not lost that teenage mentality    

I’m in my 40s.  Means plenty of my high school classmates don’t have grandparents anymore, and more than a few don’t have one or both of their parents anymore. 

One of my HS friends has posted over the past few weeks a lot of CR-worthy stuff, how it’s just a hoax and fake news.  .  Last night, he did a whole “they better not try to quarantine us over the flu, I’m an American and a man, and I’m not going to change my life” etc.  manifesto.   Backstory:  No grandparents still alive, and he lost one parent to cancer, and the other to a car accident.   To make it even worse, he was in the military and I know he spent a few years stationed in Italy.

I replied that being a man means doing the right thing, even if you disagree with it and even if it’s the harder thing to do.   I thought a little jab at his manhood might get the point across.  

My sister is not known for subtlety.    

“You're only acting this way, because your grandparents and parents are dead, and so you don’t care about old people getting sick and even dying”

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

With our (lack of) testing, it could easily get to 7% here. That of course wouldn’t be the real number, just like there, but deaths over positive tests?  Sure. 

Which is sort of the whole point. Screaming about inaccurate figures makes more people think that the risk doesn’t exist. It’s not helping the situation. Reasonable discussion, critical thought, actual risk assessment and prevention will be what works. Not his brand of insanity.  

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

great.  so instead of funding them with a billion in cash to crash through the solution for the planet, now we will get it last out of spite.

Ok so is fortnite ok for preteens then?  I’ve said no to online community gaming so far, but they turn 11 this week. Fortnite might be a decent distraction. They are already getting a Switch and Mario odyssey as new content. 
i do not have any gaming headsets if that impacts the playability of fortnite. 

You’ve got some shithead kids to deal with on the mic if you use one. The game itself is fun(I play a couple times a day). My Brother in law lets his soon to be 11 yr old play and he’s pretty protective about what goes on in his kids life.

It’s pretty non violent to have a guy in a chicken costume and a gun shoot people. No blood

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That’s around 20% of Italy’s deaths in the past 24 hours.   

There is about to officially be more confirmed cases outside China than in China as well.

According to BNO worldwide 161,097 confirmed, with 80,844 within China.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

China stopped reporting, didnt they?

Yes they did.  They quickly figured out that shutting everything down was going to do 100x the damage than letting the virus run it's course.  Essentially we are going to end up with a massive debt default, sick people, and starvation.  The problem of overloaded hospitals is going to seem small in short order.

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

How are prisons with corona virus because if my wife asks me one more time to start cleaning out another drawer, closet, you name it and start throwing away shit my hoarder ass has been keeping for no reason I am going to lose it.  She needs to just leave me alone while we are stuck in the house for the foreseeable future.

spacer.png

I'm not tossing my collection of Intellivison games and consoles, or my 90s PC games and magazines.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Oh for fucks sake, fuck off Debbie Downer.

The 20-something party goer might say the same to you telling them to stay in. We're asking everyone to make choices for the benefit of society. The most obvious way to prevent hospital over run is social distancing. The next best thing we can do is individually be as healthy as possible to minimize our chances of taking a hospital bed we wouldn't otherwise need. 

NSIAP because this is really good. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve”

(not going to just paste the text because the graphics are what's important)

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 4

If anyone is still going out and about today, I picked up about 10 of these things for $10 at my local Harbor Freight a month or so ago. And I know that my local store (Chicago) is open today because they have been emailing the shit out of me about it.

They're good for a couple of hours with a kid. 

20200315_123251.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Gardner Barnes said:

No. And she will for sure next year. I got one. As did older daughter.

Makes me feel better.  For you, sort of.  Sucks for your you kid, but at least its not CV. 

Sort of good news for me, as I got a flu shot, and part of me is worried that whatever I had was a strain of the flu different than this year's vaccine, and I'll get double fucked with the actual coronavirus in the next couple of weeks. I'd feel worse about that possibility if reports of others in the Austin community getting sick in recent weeks turned out to be the flu, and we're all about to whacked again. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away