Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I've got 14 employees spread across 2 different construction companies plus subcontractors.  Some of these guys are hourly wage earners (and while very good at what they do aren't necessarily really adept at handling pressing societal and hygiene concerns in times like this) and I have salaried guys that are out on job sites and in constant contact with subs, suppliers and property owners.  At some point every day they come back to office or into warehouse, do their thing and go back out.  The hourly guys handle the same machinery over and over and are in close contact with others.

Yes, I have concerns about the asymptomatic types and the impact they will have on others and, of course, how others will impact them. I will continue payroll if a government mandated shut down comes.  It will be difficult but will also be necessary.   

I will meet with all my guys in the morning and go over hygiene issues and tell them their payroll will be secure for as long as I can make it work.  I hope our customers will be reasonable in their expectations. 

I hope to cobble together a plan where salaried managers avoid the office as much as possible and hourly types that have to work the machinery in the warehouse can do so with an increased focus on hygiene.  

It will be a chore. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

Just got an email our local trampoline park will be open this week and offering some GREAT deals we would be crazy not to jump at - 2 hours of jump for $10.

Think me and the kids will pass...

Clowns running that place. We will need it for a makeshift hospital soon.

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Just got back from there. Couple things...make sure you fill out the form online and talk to a nurse beforehand. They won’t test you if they haven’t approved it ahead of time. Be prepared to wait. Took about an hour and there were only 6 or 7 cars ahead of me when I got there. It hurts. It’s not like a flu test where they stick a little swab up your nose. It’s a full fucking qtip on a sturdy stick. Jammed it hard up into my nostrils, and literally made my head rock back. An hour later and it still feels like somebody poked me in the eyeballs. Maybe the nurse was just a dick, but there’s only one doing the tests so you’ll get her also. 48 hour turn time is what they told me to expect. I’d hit up a minute clinic first to get a flu and strep test before going to the BSW drive thru

You want those clinicians to get corona?

From the most trustworthy of sources (reddit)

For reference - from comments on the post
2/24 - schools closed in Lombardy (think of it as a State)
3/6 - all schools closed in Italy
3/7 - quarantine in Lombardy
3/9 - all of Italy quarantined
3/11 - only groceries and phamacies open to the public

Edited by Wally Fairway
added dates for community actions in Italy
  • Like 3

Just now, Junior Miller said:

Has anyone seen any additional information from a reputable source about the permanent lung damage we heard about a couple weeks ago? I haven't heard anything since on it so was that a hoax?

Not trying to be a dick (well yea I am), but given this is a 3-5 month old deal what makes you think anybody has a real good bead drawn down on the notion of "permanent"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Prepare yourselves.  National lockdown coming soon.

So what would be the scope of this national shutdown?  Just schools and gatherings of a certain number?  Or everything -- restaurants, grocery stores, etc.?  The article didn't indicate.

17 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Guilty.  I tried my damndest, but I couldn’t convince the wife to cancel Hawaii.  She has wanted to go her whole life...a bucket list item.  The irony...

Christ.  Wives in this thing are really undoing the notion that maybe they should run shit for a while.

• Like 1

So what would be the scope of this national shutdown?  Just schools and gatherings of a certain number?  Or everything -- restaurants, grocery stores, etc.?  The article didn't indicate.

From what I’ve gathered on other countries it’s essentially a work only if you can’t WFH, and go home. Only go out for groceries and medical.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Not trying to be a dick (well yea I am), but given this is a 3-5 month old deal what makes you think anybody has a real good bead drawn down on the notion of "permanent"

That's the language that we being used and attributed (supposedly) to Chinese medical personnel about this nasty phenomena so that's what I used too. The phrase used to describe it was "ground glass syndrome" or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If it follows the other countries it would be everything except grocery, medical, and pharmacy. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Only speculating here on my part, but I'd say look at Italy for your answer.

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

Has anyone seen any additional information from a reputable source about the permanent lung damage we heard about a couple weeks ago? I haven't heard anything since on it so was that a hoax?

Fibrosis is definitely a possibility. I don't think anyone is talking about the percentage of people with permanent lung damage, though. At least I haven't seen any articles. If interested, you could look up the percentage of SARS victims with fibrosis. If you compare the percentage of fibrosis to the percentage hospitalized, the two diseases may be similar.

If it follows the other countries it would be everything except grocery, medical, and pharmacy. 

Got it.  I see that announcement as quadrupling the HEB clusterfucks over the next couple days.  Which sucks for me since I'm in post-symptom quarantine and at some point I'm going to need essentials, like beer.

That's the language that we being used and attributed (supposedly) to Chinese medical personnel about this nasty phenomena so that's what I used too. The phrase used to describe it was "ground glass syndrome" or something like that. 

Yea and this is where you should use common sense (which based on a lot of other posting history I know is hard for you) think through the time horizon, the notion that we "practice medicine" and the fact that most doctors this early in a pandemic are not going to be really invested in studying/understanding long term effects and think "hmm maybe just a statement without a lot of validity yet" . 

It would be like a pilot trying to land a plane in Puerto Vallarta without an engine talking to the passengers about how they shouldn't drink the local water when they arrive.  

34 minutes ago, Somnio said:

How many of those aboard laughed off this pandemic when they booked their cruise?

And I'm supposed to give a shit?

Looks like it left 2/12 so Europe wasn't in full panic mode yet, but certainly enough for those paying attention to not board an f'n transatlantic cruise.

3 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

At this point, and after the shitshow of people being morons on St. Paddy's day, it's absolutely coming. 

We went to lunch yesterday and came back up Lower Greenville to drop by a friend's house for a few hours. We had maybe 10 people there. The bars along Greenville were spilling out into the sidewalks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

From the most trustworthy of sources (reddit)

Italy mandated its total lockdown on March 9th.  If we started a national lockdown today, comparatively it would be a massive advantage in outcome visible even 20 days from now.  

Every single day we wait has major effects on outcomes:

1*4kOJv8hmd5VFPcBL1mywsw.png

So don't wait for official decrees.  Make informed personal choices starting today.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Looks like it left 2/12 so Europe wasn't in full panic mode yet, but certainly enough for those paying attention to not board an f'n transatlantic cruise.

Okay, now I guess I give a shit.  Definitely not two shits though.

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea and this is where you should use common sense (which based on a lot of other posting history I know is hard for you) think through the time horizon, the notion that we "practice medicine" and the fact that most doctors this early in a pandemic are not going to be really invested in studying/understanding long term effects and think "hmm maybe just a statement without a lot of validity yet" . 

It would be like a pilot trying to land a plane in Puerto Vallarta without an engine talking to the passengers about how they shouldn't drink the local water when they arrive.  

Was just asking if anyone had heard anything more from reputable sources about it since I hadn't and expressly stated I was trying to see if it was proven a hoax. No need for hostile responses. 

It's perfectly plausible that early patients in Wuhan almost 3 months ago could be exhibiting signs of significant lung damage by now after recovery from the infection. That's all the info I was asking if anyone had heard more about. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away