Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m still a kid of the movies, and my favorite moments in life are taking my kids to the movies at Alamo.

That said, I’d applaud the studios if they came up with a way to release new films straight to home, and would gladly pay more. 

Depends on the movie.  I still love seeing blockbusters-- Star Wars, Avengers type stuff-- at the theater.  Everything else I watch at home.

A lot of people have not taken this situation seriously enough. Seeing Louisiana shut down schools and then a packed Bourbon street a few hours later is just so predictable for our Idiocracy.

We seem to be at the point where this thing is on the verge of spreading throughout the community and country. If so, then I would hope there are very specific plans underway everywhere to create new hospital beds equipped with the proper equipment to handle those whose symptoms become critical.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, futureman said:

I don’t even know what you’re arguing.  south korea is testing everyone, up to 10,000 a day, symptomatic or not.  it’s a better data point.  the death rate there is less than 1%.  we’re testing a small number of people that are already showing symptoms. 

Italy is testing everyone, too.  How is that going?

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Who has quarantined everyone in the country since close to after the first case and tested 100k in the same time we did 6k.   Nice comparison....   Pretty sure we are way past that. 

you don’t understand the comparison I made.  but I’m not surprised. 

22 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

This seem like it’s an absolute perfect time to release a post-apocalyptic film like ‘A Quiet Place 2’ on streaming devices at a charge.  I bet the demand for movies like Outbreak and World War Z are at an all-time high right now.   

No coincidence that Contagion popped up on Amazon’s list of recommended movies.

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I am going gain 10 lbs while this shit goes on. We have meals planned out for days.  Wife was told to stay away from the office for 14 days, kids home, it is like a staycation.  All there is to do for 2 weeks is eat, drink, screw, and watch Disney plus and Netflix.  It is not the virus that is going to kill us all it is the going back work.

If you stop drinking and even just lightly exercise to boost your immune system you'll lose 10 lbs. Drinking heavily right now and depressing your immune system is almost as selfish as the fucks out partying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, po elvis said:

If parents have somebody to look after their kids, there is zero reason for them to be dragging their 3 kids along with them at the grocery store. That is just adding 3 people to the environment to possibly be infected and possibly spread the disease. People are either stupid, ignorant or selfish. They really aren't thinking about this thing.

Yep. My wife is pissed, but our house is effectively now on a soft lockdown starting today. No going out unless we have to. Kids stay home, period. We have a large back yard with a play set and a ton of other shit, so it makes that easier. Absolutely no visiting my parents or grand parents.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, B00M said:

If you stop drinking and even just lightly exercise to boost your immune system you'll lose 10 lbs. Drinking heavily right now and depressing your immune system is almost as selfish as the fucks out partying.

What about edible marijuana?  Not asking for a friend.

Normal restaurant traffic tonight in Austin, but the vibe was very one-last-Saturday-night. I went to a place where I know the manager runs a very tight shop because he’s immune compromised. 

Planning to support local restaurants as long as I can. 

NYC mandated bars and restaurants cut capacity by half. I went to Chapel Bar and Veronika on Friday. In both places, I was able to keep a distance of greater than 6ft between me and other patrons.

I’m going to try and support local restaurants, but that may mean pick up rather than dining in.

Of course, public schools are still in session here, so we may all be fucked regardless.

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

Or if you want to drink—and I’m craving a beer today like never before—take a three or five-mile walk daily around Town Lake or your neighborhood, and do some push-ups every day. No reason to get the fats during this period.

Edited by South Austin

14 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The choice is simple, we either allow dumbasses to keep socializing and spreading the virus, or we pivot the south Texas feral pig hunting via helicopter businesses to target social gatherings.

Subscribe. Newsletter. Want. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The choice is simple, we either allow dumbasses to keep socializing and spreading the virus, or we pivot the south Texas feral pig hunting via helicopter businesses to target social gatherings.

#StayTheFHome is trending at Number 3 on Twitter this morning. My spouse is required to come into work, but there are no confirmed cases in our county yet. It's only a matter of time, and there are a lot of retirees in our community so when it arrives it's going to hit hard.

Here's a lovely scene for why my community will probably get the virus:

Wealthy family whose children attend local hs traveled to France for Spring Break. Gets mad that they have to return two days early due to the miscommunication over whether Americans would be allowed back into US. Arrives back to town, has no plans to self-quarantine and upset that when they want to go to store upon returning that everything is sold out. Travel all over town looking for items. Then call up one of my friends wanting to meet up for dinner.  Friend is an SBO and has been worried about going under with lower sales due to the virus and calls me to vent about the lack of awareness. This virus and how people respond may test relationships more than politics (No CR).

9 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Man. My mid 70s in laws are returning from Hawaii. Weird choice to go there to begin with.

To make matters worse they want to hang out with my family as much as possible next week - i travel a ton, I have 2 teenagers, and my wife IS A SCHOOL NURSE. We are literally vectors for this shit.

It blows my mind.

Are y’all not grounded yet? Me and CaptainEd are grounded. We had to get C-Suite approval for an overnight last Sunday. 

I didn't get to hear all of Clay Jenkins on NBC News in Dallas this AM due to kids screaming, but did here him say goal is 1000+ tests per day locally but we're probably 6 weeks away from that.   Didn't get a lot of comfort testing will be ramped up significantly this week which is disappointing as as high number of confirmed cases is probably the only thing that will start making those going out to bars, etc. like a normal weekend take it more seriously.

Ten years ago I woulda loved this...stay home for two weeks drinking, playing movies and video games, and avoiding people would be heaven.  

Now, we are trying to find ways to avoid killing the kids...particularly the 3yo daughter...the 6yo boy is pretty self sufficient and easy going but my 3yo is already on her third meltdown today.  The thought of 14+ more days like this has my blood pressure rising. 

• Like 9

Ten years ago I woulda loved this...stay home for two weeks drinking, playing movies and video games, and avoiding people would be heaven.  

Now, we are trying to find ways to avoid killing the kids...particularly the 3yo daughter...the 6yo boy is pretty self sufficient and easy going but my 3yo is already on her third meltdown today.  The thought of 14+ more days like this has my blood pressure rising. 
Same. Gonna be a long Spring.

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

My wife and I were saying the same thing.  3 year old and a recently turned 1 year old here (cancelled b-day party that would have been today).  It's going to be rough.

8 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

My 4 yo has had a hacking, dry cough for about the last 10 days that I would really like to go away. I take his temp about 3x day just to be sure, but totally normal. He also seems fine, other than a bit tired some days from the coughing at night. Your kid having a persistent cough while this stuff is going around is no bueno.

Mine has had the same cough. No other symptoms or fever. He appears to not be an issue. Younger daughter had a warm forehead this morning but no fever coughs etc.  Could be a normal cold, flu, or covid not sure. We’re staying home anyways because we are prepared and not idiots.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Family down the street just got back from NYC on Friday - they've got kids the same age as mine.  I'm not letting them get near me or my family for at least 2 weeks.

NYC has gone into operating as if everyone has been exposed and has switched to a monitoring plan rather than an all out containment plan. Information out late yesterday said they were planning on this continuing into September and they were going to put out monitoring guidelines. At some point the rest of the country will start to follow as we are past the stages of containment in some of the larger areas and not enough people are willing to deal with a lockdown.

We always had only two choices in this. You lock everything down and isolate it to die out or you say f it and everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya and we see who’s left standing. We are getting closer to the second option unless the drug companies hit on something immediately.

I’ll go ahead and share a personal story to show how clueless olds are.  I saw my parents (mid 60’s) mid February and they mentioned they had a two week cruise planned at the beginning of March in South America.  Mind you this was right around the time or diamond princess news and the spread of coronavirus world wide.

I asked them if they had lost their ever loving minds and tried to explain the risks of the disease on the ship, being quarantined, limited travel etc. They and everyone else there looked at me like a lunatic with a third eye. My dad, a retired ER doctor, shrugged it off and they went on their cruise anyways without a care in the world.

Last night they were told they were docking in Chile to unload, and turns out it was for fuel and provisions only as they were not allowed to unload. Mind you they don’t have anyone with symptoms or positive tests on their ship, (as of now anyways) but they are stuck regardless. They were completely surprised even though I had been in contact via text giving them updates. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out and at what time I will be able to say I told you so.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Same here, except I’m not a coder.  I guess they figure if DoD is still open, we have to be open too.  Except we have a “no visitors” policy in place now, along with no travel.  So we won’t let any outside people in, we can just all infect ourselves at the office.  

Dell told everyone in Round Rock to work from home:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/dell-central-texas-employees-advised-to-work-from-home-if-possible/269-1763eb8f-068a-43ce-b447-b88ed54dc1a5

Probably already in this thread, and I apologize if so.  But I've seen similar reports from other larger corps, and yet read enough stories like yours from what I assume are smaller organizations.  I thought the smaller groups were supposed to be more agile (pun intended)?

I was able to convince my parents to cancel their trip to Mexico this week. Of course, when I called on Friday they had just got back from a concert (choir group, so 250 people or so). The group had apparently consulted with the city and the state, and they were told since it was a "smaller" gathering it was fine. Oh, also, they figured no cases had been confirmed in Austin. I had to explain how that was bullshit. I think they understand now. 

10 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Did you get tested for swine flu? I didn’t. That’s one thing consistent among the outbreaks. We only test those who meet certain criteria. The mortality rate is based on those tests. This one seems higher at the minute based on the similar testing criteria.

No it's not. Its based on estimates. It just hasn't been adjusted yet for this.  15 million are not tested for the flu each year.  That's the estimate. The deaths are known. Right now this is only killing 2% of those tested. When they factor in estimated cases, the number drops significantly.  

18 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Three is a trying age for sure. Maybe go read the uber long post on the COVID kindness thread on things to do with kiddos to see if anything there is doable for her. Is it possible she is ill? Mine acted awful prior to getting sick sometimes. If she is not ill, don't let the rain stop you from going outside. If you live on a street with curbing and any kind of a slope, take her outside and have crabgrass races with the water in the gutter. (You know where you each pick a blade of grass and follow it in the water.)

Sometimes, picking an activity w/o her knowledge and gathering the supplies up gets a child curious and then when they start following you around, nonchalantly say "oh, I was thinking about water coloring (or whatever) for awhile, would you like to do that to?" If they say 'no' sit down and start anyway. Hum, enjoy yourself (um, make sure you pick something you don't mind doing) because it can be contagious and the next thing you know you can step back and they take over.

Grab the shaving cream, a cookie sheet and some food coloring and let her get her anger out by making a mess.

Good luck to all you parents, trust me, it gets better even if sometimes the problems change.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
55 minutes ago, South Austin said:
No coincidence that Contagion popped up on Amazon’s list of recommended movies.

I'm flirting with re-reading The Stand. Covid-19 has nothing on Captain Tripps.

god I loved reading the stand.  captain trips killed over 99% didn’t it?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

NYC has gone into operating as if everyone has been exposed and has switched to a monitoring plan rather than an all out containment plan. Information out late yesterday said they were planning on this continuing into September and they were going to put out monitoring guidelines. At some point the rest of the country will start to follow as we are past the stages of containment in some of the larger areas and not enough people are willing to deal with a lockdown.

We always had only two choices in this. You lock everything down and isolate it to die out or you say f it and everyone hold hands and sing kumbaya and we see who’s left standing. We are getting closer to the second option unless the drug companies hit on something immediately.

I'll just point out that this was never actually an option.  The only thing lockdown/social distancing was ever going to do was flatten the curve, and it still can.  This virus was always going to spread to millions, same as the swine flu, same as the regular flu.  It's simply too contagious not to.  

Just now, landman said:

No it's not. Its based on estimates. It just hasn't been adjusted yet for this.  15 million are not tested for the flu each year.  That's the estimate. The deaths are known. Right now this is only killing 2% of those tested. When they factor in estimated cases, the number drops significantly.  

Jesus christo. Do you really think China locked down 75 million people and their economy for the fucking flu? Do you think Italy and Spain shut down for the flu? This ain't no joke. Italy is now reporting hundreds of deaths a day from the virus. What the fuck will it take for you to wake the fuck up?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, landman said:

careful.  shit like this threatens people. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/dell-central-texas-employees-advised-to-work-from-home-if-possible/269-1763eb8f-068a-43ce-b447-b88ed54dc1a5

Probably already in this thread, and I apologize if so.  But I've seen similar reports from other larger corps, and yet read enough stories like yours from what I assume are smaller organizations.  I thought the smaller groups were supposed to be more agile (pun intended)?

Work for a large organization of 30K. Everyone (except “critical” people) must work from home for 2 weeks. Might be more depending on circumstances. 

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

What's the latest date she can cancel.  Wait until then to decide. 

I have to remind myself to take a deep breath when, for example, my kids' school district only cancelled one week of school after spring break.  They always can cancel more. 

I'm planning about a week in advance apart from my grocery shopping completed much earlier this week.

/we'll see

Yeah, I think with sending invitations out and being polite to guests making travel plans, a decision would need to be made around mid April

• Like 1

I find it amazing that while I am trying to do everything as best as possible like hanging out at home (I did go to the gym yesterday but I think that is the last time for a while) yet I live in a neighborhood where on our Facebook page someone posted you can get cheap flights right now to Maui and they are trying to decide if they should take a vacation this week.  Tons of neighbors have responded how that is a great deal and maybe they will grab those flights also.  Another neighbor just posted they drove all day to get to Colorado to go skiing and they are pissed the ski resorts closed and that this “Corona thing” is really messing with their spring break family vacation.  I feel like I am the crazy one since I am worrying about travel and this virus and all these people aren’t.  Business as usual for them.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Not just Round Rock, ALL employees that can work from home, have been told to do so.  However there are some, like engineers and hardware developers that must go into the labs because that's where the new/developing/prototype hardware is.  Many of those functions can't be performed at home, because teams of engineers are working on unique hardware with no "copies" to be able to take home.

Many smaller corporations are TRYING to switch over to WFH, but realistically they haven't had the computers/displays/peripherals available to their employees to do so.  Large computer manufacturers like Dell are seeing a massive influx of new orders coming in from such companies, as they attempt to stand up entire WFH solutions across their global workforces. It's going to take time for that to happen.

And then there are companies like the one you're referring to, that simply don't WANT to allow employees to WFH.  It's not at all surprising that military subcontractors would be in that boat, as there are many old guard ex-military "butts-in-seats" types in management at those companies.  I've had managers like that in the past, and almost without exception they were all former-military.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away