Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I work at an aquarium in Dallas and the number of people still showing up today was mind boggling. Especially the number of olds. It was basically like a normal Saturday. I have to be there to take care of the animals, but I could do without all the unwashed masses infecting each other and probably me and the rest of our staff.

• Like 3

Just now, Seger78 said:

O'Hare sucks for international arrivals on a good day but now it's one of only 13 airports designated for international arrivals which include extra screening which is a recipe for a monumental shit show

I was surprised to see IAH was not on the list. Houston has a very large customs processing area and its not being used. 

Well, you see the TSA is a union shop and under page 46 of the collective bargaining agreement no agent can be assigned an additional shift without 30 days notice and a 7 day acceptance confirmation period.

This is probably sarcasm, but I expect the union to have something close to this.

FGB.

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

That is pretty funny considering my son was at the airport in Albuquerque today and said there were like 3 cars in the parking lot. Sounds like the lines are in one direction - everyone wants to fly in but no one wants to fly out. Actually, there probably aren't even that many coming in: Just stupid officials not having enough equipment or knowing how to screen.

27 minutes ago, Helobious said:

My ER nurse friend in SA says her hospital is getting filled with people with coronavirus symptoms already. Not quite overrun yet but it’s getting there. 

I have family working at three local hospitals and all of them have reported the exact opposite 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Longhornlax said:

I work at an aquarium in Dallas and the number of people still showing up today was mind boggling. Especially the number of olds. It was basically like a normal Saturday. I have to be there to take care of the animals, but I could do without all the unwashed masses infecting each other and probably me and the rest of our staff.

Not much has changed and we’re gonna pay the price for it. 

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Well, you see the TSA is a union shop and under page 46 of the collective bargaining agreement no agent can be assigned an additional shift without 30 days notice and a 7 day acceptance confirmation period.

This is a CBP issue, not TSA

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

I can relate to this because we have always struggled with this in the cybersecurity industry, everything is considered an act of paranoia by outsiders and the measure of a good security program is one where major breaches are avoided. So if you are doing a good job and everything is quiet people question your budget. "Nothing bad happens, why are we spending so much money on security?" On the other side, organizations that get completely owned always throw money at the problem after the horses already left the barn but they are so fucked, it will take over a year and a shit ton of money to clean the place up.

I agree with the first part of your statement; it's very akin to the OLinemen who only gets noticed when they make a mistake.   We fail to recognize the many benefits outside of that one catastrophic mistake, even if they have played a superb game overall.

but I'm having trouble understanding the second part;  "the other side".  In a ideal (yes, this is non-existent) world, security frameworks evolve to learn from the past and "the horses have already left the barn" can serve to learn from past mistakes to continuously improve your security program.  it's a continuous battle between good and evil.  It's hard for me to discern whether your second point refers to implementing more security tools and controls (which has both advantages and disadvantages)  or if it's addressing the payout of ransomware attacks.  Both are completely different subjects, but intertwined.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Austin Pets Alive! Is in desperate need of fosters and adoptions if any of y’all are able to do either. 
https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/life/animals/austin-pets-alive-coronavirus-fosters-needed/269-705f8753-4469-4033-aa85-319ffa52fad1

That’s one way to deal with the toilet paper shortage

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Good luck.  I've tried, i have friends that have tried with theirs, they just don't give a fuck.  American Exceptionalism.  Fox and God told them so.  And last week OM said it's all good.  They have plenty of food and medicine.  And goddamnit they will go play bridge and get their hair "fixed" and nails done come hell or high water and fuck you and fuck everyone who says they are not entitled to their version of reality.

May God have mercy on us all.

dazed and confused GIF

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That is pretty funny considering my son was at the airport in Albuquerque today and said there were like 3 cars in the parking lot. Sounds like the lines are in one direction - everyone wants to fly in but no one wants to fly out. Actually, there probably aren't even that many coming in: Just stupid officials not having enough equipment or knowing how to screen.

So take a bunch of folks who have been in hot zones in Europe and cram them together. Shit if you weren’t sick you are now. Unreal

Two State Assembly members test positive for the virus

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Saturday night that two State Assembly members from Brooklyn had tested positive for the coronavirus.

“It has come to our attention that two of our Assembly colleagues — Helene Weinstein and Charles Barron — have been diagnosed with COVID-19,” according to a statement released by Mr. Cuomo and the Assembly speaker, Carl E. Heastie.

Mr. Barron, 69, and Ms. Weinstein, 67, both Democrats, have not been in Albany since early March “for separate reasons,” according to the statement.

The DFW tweets are especially great for us. 
a hundred pages ago I vented about my octogenarian MIL deciding to still go to Florida to visit 9 siblings/spouses for 2 weeks, despite pleading from my wife. She got peer pressured by those that had already flown in. 
so she gets there and 2 days later one of them, a former nurse, suddenly decides that 10 old people in a rental home isn’t the best thing ever and decides they should all leave. So MIL got on a flight today back to DFW. 

so she has been in dfw twice this week, whatever Florida airport twice this week, and two airplanes. 

and now we wait. 

Another anecdote... lifelong friend is a surgeon in the Dallas burbs (south). He ‘knows’ the cases are extremely more widespread and numerous than official current stats. Said cdc hosed his hospital on the testing. As of this afternoon they’d only done ten tests and feel sure one is positive and a couple other probables. They sent their tests to temple as opposed to Dallas due to Dallas backlog but still will take another day for results. He’s expecting his ortho surgery practice to be frozen soon for resource preservation and eventually he’ll be called in as a backup/all hands on deck. They’re getting protocols put in place for patient visitation and processing/ waiting areas.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My wife tried to talk to her 71 y.o. dad about keeping our distance and he shut her down with, “I’m a grown man, I’ll make my own decisions.”

I’m okay with this if these types are cool with an ICU doc using the same logic to deny them a respirator bed.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Longhornlax said:

"an aquarium in Dallas"

Like we have aquariums every other block.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away